Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 463 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 573Likes
post #13861 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Some of us can't control the fact that our AVR will be in "Stereo" and not MULTICH though.

What do you mean by this? Why can't you control it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13862 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 220
You can't change the AVR to MULTICH if it is getting a stereo signal. That's what mine does and I followed the guide word for word. Your picture looks like it is for the Java method, but it just reminded me of this issue with HDMI.

I have Nvidia High Definition Audio with 8 channels.

Last edited by Soulburner; 03-11-2015 at 10:59 AM.
post #13863 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You can't change the AVR to MULTICH if it is getting a stereo signal. That's what mine does and I followed the guide word for word. Your picture looks like it is for the Java method, but it just reminded me of this issue with HDMI.

I have Nvidia High Definition Audio with 8 channels.

If you're using HDMI AND the ASIO driver (i.e. you have 8 channel capability) then there's no need to switch the AVR out of Stereo mode as noted in the graphic at the bottom. Channel selection is done from within REW. However, if you're using HDMI (or the legacy connection) with the Java driver (presumably because you only have 2-ch HDMI) then switching the surround mode to Dolby PLIIx is a convenient way to get sound to the center channel (albeit at a slightly higher level). In this case, we are still outputting the same signal from REW, it's just being steered to the center channel as this is part of the logic that the Dolby PLII upmixer employs.
post #13864 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

That's how I figured it worked. I wasn't too concerned about it, I just noted that I couldn't get it set like the guide stated.
post #13865 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
If you're using HDMI AND the ASIO driver (i.e. you have 8 channel capability) then there's no need to switch the AVR out of Stereo mode as noted in the graphic at the bottom. Channel selection is done from within REW. However, if you're using HDMI (or the legacy connection) with the Java driver (presumably because you only have 2-ch HDMI) then switching the surround mode to Dolby PLIIx is a convenient way to get sound to the center channel (albeit at a slightly higher level). In this case, we are still outputting the same signal from REW, it's just being steered to the center channel as this is part of the logic that the Dolby PLII upmixer employs.
So I am using HDMI and ASIO and what got me confused is I was seeing VASTLY different reading with my center channel...could not figure out why. Then I noticed my AVR was in Stereo vs. Multi Channel...so in this case REW was somehow screwing up....or am I screwing up, but I touched nothing until I noticed the difference.
post #13866 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post
So I am using HDMI and ASIO and what got me confused is I was seeing VASTLY different reading with my center channel...could not figure out why. Then I noticed my AVR was in Stereo vs. Multi Channel...so in this case REW was somehow screwing up....or am I screwing up, but I touched nothing until I noticed the difference.

I'm not exactly sure how ASIO works in conjunction with the AVR. I would've thought you would need to have the AVR in a sound mode where all channels were "active" (e.g. all channel stereo, Dolby PLIIz etc.) in order to pass the signal from REW to the individual speaker. If that were the case though, I'd imagine this issue would've come up long before now. This makes me assume what Jerry has in the guide (i.e. using Stereo) is enough to get you playback on all channels that your soundcard supports. However, Jerry only has support for 2-ch HDMI so perhaps there is an issue with the guide?
post #13867 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2805 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
I am not following what the issue is. If you are running ASIO on a laptop that supports 7.1 HDMI, then my understanding is that the AVR should be in MULT CH IN mode, and REW output is routed to each speaker by selecting the appropriate HDMI Out on the Preferences screen.

On a laptop that supports only 2.0 HDMI (like my laptop), then the AVR is in stereo mode to send the signal to either the left or right channels, and PLII Cinema to send the signal to the center channel.

Is this not what the Guide says?

As far as why the OP is getting erratic measurements, he must be doing something wrong. I have never experienced unusual results unless I had something configured improperly.
ahblaza likes this.
post #13868 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2097 Post(s)
Liked: 1108
Quote:
If you are running ASIO on a laptop that supports 7.1 HDMI, then my understanding is that the AVR should be in MULT CH IN mode, and REW output is routed to each speaker by selecting the appropriate HDMI Out on the Preferences screen.
This is exactly how I've been doing it (7.1 capable laptop).
post #13869 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I am not following what the issue is. If you are running ASIO on a laptop that supports 7.1 HDMI, then my understanding is that the AVR should be in MULT CH IN mode, and REW output is routed to each speaker by selecting the appropriate HDMI Out on the Preferences screen.

On a laptop that supports only 2.0 HDMI (like my laptop), then the AVR is in stereo mode to send the signal to either the left or right channels, and PLII Cinema to send the signal to the center channel.

As far as why the OP is getting erratic measurements, he must be doing something wrong. I have never experienced unusual results unless I had something configured improperly.

It looks like the guide has been updated in this section already. The capture I took from above was from REW 101 v3.9 but the latest version (3.92) shows this:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Guidelines 2.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	597353  
post #13870 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
This is exactly how I've been doing it (7.1 capable laptop).

Yeah, this makes sense and follows with how I thought it should be working. I was confused by my own post from the v3.9 Guide but Jerry has cleared this up in v3.92.
post #13871 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I am not sure what the issue is either :-)

I ran a sweep using channel 3 and sub (not looking at the avr at all) then I added some absorption panels and re-ran. The results we way different...WOW what a difference the panels made.

Then I removed them again to make sure I was not crazy...and now this time NO DIFFERENCE. WTF ?

So then I started digging....and SOMEHOW my AVR was now in STEREO vs Multi Channel.

Every time I run REW I heard my AVR clicking (like an HDMI switch) and it appears to be in a different mode. I was just trying to understand what is going on. Could be my AVR (Onkyo 809) being wacky.

Only follow up is ANY IDEA why my trace in Stereo vs. Multichannel could be so different? Is it possible that in Stereo I was hearing a phantom center :-)

I will keep testing to figure out what is going on..
post #13872 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I ran a sweep using channel 3 and sub (not looking at the avr at all) then I added some absorption panels and re-ran. The results we way different...WOW what a difference the panels made.

Then I removed them again to make sure I was not crazy...and now this time NO DIFFERENCE. WTF ?

So then I started digging....and SOMEHOW my AVR was now in STEREO vs Multi Channel.

Every time I run REW I heard my AVR clicking (like an HDMI switch) and it appears to be in a different mode. I was just trying to understand what is going on. Could be my AVR (Onkyo 809) being wacky.

Only follow up is ANY IDEA why my trace in Stereo vs. Multichannel could be so different? Is it possible that in Stereo I was hearing a phantom center :-)

The reason it's so different is because when you're in Stereo and trying to output to the center channel, the sound isn't coming from the center channel. It's most likely a combined response of your left and right. Try changing back to multi-ch and outputting to your left and right. Also, are you using bass management? If so, you shouldn't need to select the subwoofer in addition to the individual speakers.
post #13873 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The reason it's so different is because when you're in Stereo and trying to output to the center channel, the sound isn't coming from the center channel. It's most likely a combined response of your left and right. Try changing back to multi-ch and outputting to your left and right. Also, are you using bass management? If so, you shouldn't need to select the subwoofer in addition to the individual speakers.
Ok, sounds like my AVR somehow got screwed up....I will make sure it is in multi-ch.

As for bass mgmt., I can't remember how I have REW setup...I can check and report back.

I think I am using bass mgmt., but need totally clear how that affects stuff.

Last edited by toofast68; 03-11-2015 at 01:39 PM.
post #13874 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok, sounds like my AVR somehow got screwed up....I will make sure it is in multi-ch.

As for bass mgmt., I can't remember how I have REW setup...I can check and report back.

I think I am using bass mgmt., but need totally clear how that affects stuff.

What I mean by bass management is do you have your main speakers crossing over to a subwoofer at a specified frequency? If so, you don't want to select the subwoofer output in REW when you take a sweep of your main speakers.

As for the whacky reporting in REW, I'm pretty sure you thought you were taking a measurement of one speaker but were actually taking a different measurement of one or more speakers. That would explain the difference. As I said, if you select your R and L main speaker in multi-ch mode and take a sweep, I have a sneaking suspicion it will look a lot like selecting your center speaker in stereo mode.
post #13875 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What I mean by bass management is do you have your main speakers crossing over to a subwoofer at a specified frequency? If so, you don't want to select the subwoofer output in REW when you take a sweep of your main speakers.

As for the whacky reporting in REW, I'm pretty sure you thought you were taking a measurement of one speaker but were actually taking a different measurement of one or more speakers. That would explain the difference. As I said, if you select your R and L main speaker in multi-ch mode and take a sweep, I have a sneaking suspicion it will look a lot like selecting your center speaker in stereo mode.

Ok, gotcha what bass mgmt. means :-)

And I agree...I BET the stereo center was L/R
post #13876 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:

The clicking is the AVR's internal relays connecting or disconnecting speaker channels (so that unused channels are truly silent). Hearing them would have been caused by it switching from multichannel to stereo mode. So if you hear it clicking next time, you need to verify that the AVR is still in the configuration that you want.
Quote:

I suspect the AVR is just being too smart for its own good. It's detecting an incoming stereo signal, so it's automatically switching to the mode you were using the last time you listened to a CD.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #13877 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't tested the center channel, so now I'm curious to see what happens if I try. I'll report back on whether it switches to MULTICH from Stereo and whether I acutually get center channel sound.
post #13878 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Use the Generator function of REW to test which speaker is playing before you run the sweep.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #13879 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Use the Generator function of REW to test which speaker is playing before you run the sweep.
Actually I did, but I did not get my butt out of the chair, it sounds like the center to me, but of course it was the combined LR messing with me
post #13880 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Actually I did, but I did not get my butt out of the chair, it sounds like the center to me, but of course it was the combined LR messing with me
Look at it this way. At least you know you have your speakers placed well
post #13881 of 15306 Old 03-11-2015, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Hi guys,
I'd like to know if my room needs bass treatment. I read all the time that bass traps helps make bass sound tidier. I'd like to know what improvement can I get if I install bass traps. In other words, how can we find out before/after effects using REW graphs?

I'm attaching WaterFall, Spectrogram graphs L+R. I did read the guidance. Based on my understanding, Spectrogam looks. I'm having a bit trouble understadning waterfall. According to my understanding, in waterfall, if the hills are coming forward all the way, then is room ringing.
Note: Floor noise is 45db.

Last edited by SherazNJ; 03-11-2015 at 07:30 PM.
post #13882 of 15306 Old 03-13-2015, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 53
What's going on with the thread? No traffic no response !!!!!!
post #13883 of 15306 Old 03-13-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Regarding the spectrogram and the waterfall you posted, the spectrogram looks pretty good, but the waterfall seems to indicate a fair amount of ringing below 100Hz. I am not sure why the two graphs seem to be telling a different story. Based on the waterfall, I would say yes, your listening room would benefit from bass treatments.
post #13884 of 15306 Old 03-13-2015, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Regarding the spectrogram and the waterfall you posted, the spectrogram looks pretty good, but the waterfall seems to indicate a fair amount of ringing below 100Hz. I am not sure why the two graphs seem to be telling a different story. Based on the waterfall, I would say yes, your listening room would benefit from bass treatments.
it's just the differences in scale, the spectrogram shows a 40dB range but the waterfall is more like 60dB. There's certainly a slower decay between ~55-110Hz though as the peak level is lower (by ~7-10dB) and it takes longer (50-100ms) to decay by 40dB. Reposting the graphs with the vertical axis normalised (not sure what the recommended scale is?) should make that clearer.
post #13885 of 15306 Old 03-13-2015, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Pretty simple question: I'm looking to set-up and run REW for my stereo system. I bought a miniDSP UMIK-1 that I plan to connect to my PC. Instead of running a 3.5mm-to-dual-RCA cable from the headphone out to my Marantz pre-pro, can I just utilize my Oppo's Asynchronous USB DAC which I already have connected to the PC? So signal would go PC USB-out -> Oppo USB-in -> Marantz pre-pro -> amp -> speakers.
post #13886 of 15306 Old 03-13-2015, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRage View Post
Pretty simple question: I'm looking to set-up and run REW for my stereo system. I bought a miniDSP UMIK-1 that I plan to connect to my PC. Instead of running a 3.5mm-to-dual-RCA cable from the headphone out to my Marantz pre-pro, can I just utilize my Oppo's Asynchronous USB DAC which I already have connected to the PC? So signal would go PC USB-out -> Oppo USB-in -> Marantz pre-pro -> amp -> speakers.
I don't know if what you are suggesting would work or not. Why not run HDMI from the PC to the pre-pro, or is your PC missing an HDMI output?
post #13887 of 15306 Old 03-13-2015, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't see why it wouldn't work, as long as ASIO can still work over USB. Worth a try.

Do you already route all your computer sounds to your receiver this way?
post #13888 of 15306 Old 03-13-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I don't know if what you are suggesting would work or not. Why not run HDMI from the PC to the pre-pro, or is your PC missing an HDMI output?
Simply for convenience. I already have the USB to my Oppo connected and working for PC Audio. If it would work with REW I wouldn't have to buy another 10-or-so foot cable and crawl behind my system, unhook the L/R inputs on my Marantz, and plug in the new ones. I think the only HDMI out on my PC is the one I have connected to my TV/monitor.
post #13889 of 15306 Old 03-13-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Do you already route all your computer sounds to your receiver this way?
Yes. While I could've connected the USB straight to my Marantz, it seemed a waste not to take advantage of my Oppo's Asynchronous USB DAC.
post #13890 of 15306 Old 03-13-2015, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRage View Post
Simply for convenience. I already have the USB to my Oppo connected and working for PC Audio. If it would work with REW I wouldn't have to buy another 10-or-so foot cable and crawl behind my system, unhook the L/R inputs on my Marantz, and plug in the new ones. I think the only HDMI out on my PC is the one I have connected to my TV/monitor.
Whatever works for you. My Marantz pre-pro has a front-panel HDMI input. For the REW session, you could easily unplug the cable to the monitor, I would think. Try it your way and if it doesn't work, try it this way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page