Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 486 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 418Likes
post #14551 of 14579 Old 04-21-2015, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Both measurements are of the center channel + subs with variable smoothing. At 20Hz, the 80dB measurement shows 2.1% THD, while at 105dB, the figure rises to 26.4% THD. At 80dB, there is negligible distortion at 75hZ (.7%), but at 105dB, something significant happens, with a huge distortion bulge (8.8%) developing for an unknown reason.

Interesting...
Another insight to apply to this is that 3rd order distortion occurs at 3X the frequency in question. While one might say 8% distortion isnt audible at 74.9hz, this isnt where it occurs. It occurs at 224.7hz (74.9 X 3). And that, I would wager IS audible.

Along these lines, 10th order distortion happens at 10X the frequency in question. So if one had high 10th order distortion at 30hz, it would occur at 300hz! And so on....

In another illustration, 10th order distortion at 4K wouldnt be significant. Why? Because it would occur at 40,000hz. (you may notice the 10th order line stops around 2K for this reason for a X-20k measurement).

This is why looking at higher order distortion is important.

My Room
My Music
Rega - Apollo, Rega - DAC, Goldpoint Passive, (2) Classe CA-100 bridged power amps (350w)
Jenzen Next

Last edited by jim19611961; 04-21-2015 at 06:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14552 of 14579 Old 04-21-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Simple questions

Hello,
Sorry for such basic questions, to me I believe them important enough to ask. On my laptop when I configure in windows the output device (my Onkyo receiver) in advanced settings I have several options, I chose 16 bit 48000Hz, when I configure my recording device (UMIK-1) it only has one option and that's 24 bit 48000Hz. My question is it OK to use the 16 bit rate in the output device and the 24 bit rate in the recording device (UMIK-1) as long as both use the same 48000Hz cycle. Or should I set both to 24 bit 48000Hz. Again please forgive my ignorance.

The other question is my UMIK-1 has a 18dB gain structure, I would like to physically change that gain inside the mic to 0dB, it seems fairly easy to do. Then I must also change the sensitivity as well. Here is my mic's sensitivity parameters:

"Sens Factor =0.6814dB, SERNO: 7005070" I would then subtract this number by -18, correct? Does look like the corrected 90 degree cal file, if not please tell me what the corrected file is after -18dB. TIA

"Sens Factor =-17.3186db, SERNO: 7005070"

Thanks Guys, Jeffrey
post #14553 of 14579 Old 04-21-2015, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2405 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hello,
Sorry for such basic questions, to me I believe them important enough to ask. On my laptop when I configure in windows the output device (my Onkyo receiver) in advanced settings I have several options, I chose 16 bit 48000Hz, when I configure my recording device (UMIK-1) it only has one option and that's 24 bit 48000Hz. My question is it OK to use the 16 bit rate in the output device and the 24 bit rate in the recording device (UMIK-1) as long as both use the same 48000Hz cycle. Or should I set both to 24 bit 48000Hz. Again please forgive my ignorance.

The other question is my UMIK-1 has a 18dB gain structure, I would like to physically change that gain inside the mic to 0dB, it seems fairly easy to do. Then I must also change the sensitivity as well. Here is my mic's sensitivity parameters:

"Sens Factor =0.6814dB, SERNO: 7005070" I would then subtract this number by -18, correct? Does look like the corrected 90 degree cal file, if not please tell me what the corrected file is after -18dB. TIA

"Sens Factor =-17.3186db, SERNO: 7005070"

Thanks Guys, Jeffrey
I would set both devices to the same bit depth.

Why do you want to set the mic to zero gain? Most of us here have UMIK-1's with 12dB gain. I predict if you adopt this different, non-standard setting, you will encounter anomalies that will be difficult to explain. And, of course, we won't be able to help because you are not using a standard setting.
post #14554 of 14579 Old 04-21-2015, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I would set both devices to the same bit depth.

Why do you want to set the mic to zero gain? Most of us here have UMIK-1's with 12dB gain. I predict if you adopt this different, non-standard setting, you will encounter anomalies that will be difficult to explain. And, of course, we won't be able to help because you are not using a standard setting.
Thanks Jerry for the bit depth, I'm glad I asked. I just thought going to 0 dB would give more headroom for taking higher compression sweeps. Ok I will do 12 dB gain then, I didn't know that was the default gain used by all here. So then I would just subtract -6dB from the SENS FACTOR, did I have it set right (sens) for the 0dB gain in the above post?

So this is what it looks like now, would it be much of an inconvenience for you to display the correct cal file with lowering the gain 6dB from 18dB to 12dB. I would really appreciate it. Again Thanks for all that you do.

"Sens Factor =0.6814dB, SERNO: 7005070" After change "Sens Factor =-5.3186dB, SERNO: 7005070" correct?

Sincerely, Jeffrey
post #14555 of 14579 Old 04-21-2015, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Thanks Jerry for the bit depth, I'm glad I asked. I just thought going to 0 dB would give more headroom for taking higher compression sweeps. Ok I will do 12 dB gain then, I didn't know that was the default gain used by all here. So then I would just subtract -6dB from the SENS FACTOR, did I have it set right (sens) for the 0dB gain in the above post?

So this is what it looks like now, would it be much of an inconvenience for you to display the correct cal file with lowering the gain 6dB from 18dB to 12dB. I would really appreciate it. Again Thanks for all that you do.

"Sens Factor =0.6814dB, SERNO: 7005070" After change "Sens Factor =-5.3186dB, SERNO: 7005070" correct?

Sincerely, Jeffrey
I believe that would be the correct adjustment to the sensitivity parameter. Here is how you could test it out:

- While the mic is still configured for 18dB gain, launch REW, and using the signal generator, output a test tone (say pink noise), and adjust your AVR master volume so the mic is reading a specific value (say 80dB). Note the MV level.
- Open the mic and set the dip switches to 12dB gain.
- Launch REW again, output the same test tone, set the MV to the same value you determined above, and use the REW SPL meter to see how loud the test tone is. If the sensitivity parameter is correct, the level will measure the same as in the previous test.
ahblaza likes this.
post #14556 of 14579 Old 04-21-2015, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Are there disadvantages to changing it to 12? I thought that change was only needed (recommended?) if you have input clipping with PC mic gain set to 100.
post #14557 of 14579 Old 04-21-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
Are there disadvantages to changing it to 12? I thought that change was only needed (recommended?) if you have input clipping with PC mic gain set to 100.
Search this thread for the previous conversations. No need to re-hash it all over again.
post #14558 of 14579 Old 04-21-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I believe that would be the correct adjustment to the sensitivity parameter. Here is how you could test it out:

- While the mic is still configured for 18dB gain, launch REW, and using the signal generator, output a test tone (say pink noise), and adjust your AVR master volume so the mic is reading a specific value (say 80dB). Note the MV level.
- Open the mic and set the dip switches to 12dB gain.
- Launch REW again, output the same test tone, set the MV to the same value you determined above, and use the REW SPL meter to see how loud the test tone is. If the sensitivity parameter is correct, the level will measure the same as in the previous test.
Thanks Jerry as always, that makes perfect sense. I will do it now. I really appreciate all that you contribute to this forum especially for the likes of myself
Best, Jeffrey
post #14559 of 14579 Old 04-22-2015, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
Maybe I missed it but where can I find info on the fundamental, first harmonic, second, etc so I can understand what u guys are talking about in regards to distortion and how to interpret these graphs
There's some discussion about distortion in this thread. I don't believe a consensus was ever reached on what the guidance should be.

In a nutshell, though, it's pretty straightforward. Take a sweep then tab over to the Distortion graph. You then scrub the cursor along the frequency response to see the distortion at various frequencies.

Anyplace that total distortion exceeds a few percent is problematic. The contentious part is what constitutes a few percentage points and at what frequencies it matters most.

IIRC, distortion is harder to hear at lower frequencies. For my room, the distortion is very low, usually less than 1%, until I get to the limits of my subs. Then it can go much much higher. I found that reducing distortion to below 5% at those lower frequencies made a very nice improvement to the overall sound.
mattdub1 likes this.
post #14560 of 14579 Old 04-22-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
...I found that reducing distortion to below 5% at those lower frequencies made a very nice improvement to the overall sound.
How did you go about reducing the distortion?
post #14561 of 14579 Old 04-22-2015, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
How did you go about reducing the distortion?
I have multiple subs so my experience isn't necessarily applicable to others...

As this was a while ago I'm fuzzy on the details. But, IIRC, the main cause of the lower frequency distortion was in trying to get my small subs to go too deep at too high an SPL. It was also worsened by a room mode at 31Hz that I have.

Initially, I was having the "main" sub try to reproduce 35Hz at 100dB and then using the other subs to smooth that response. Now I'm sharing the load amongst the subs more evenly. That gives each sub more headroom and reduces the distortion contributed by each.

I also apply a deep cut at that room mode with PEQ.
lovingdvd and jim19611961 like this.
post #14562 of 14579 Old 04-22-2015, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have multiple subs so my experience isn't necessarily applicable to others...

As this was a while ago I'm fuzzy on the details. But, IIRC, the main cause of the lower frequency distortion was in trying to get my small subs to go too deep at too high an SPL. It was also worsened by a room mode at 31Hz that I have.

Initially, I was having the "main" sub try to reproduce 35Hz at 100dB and then using the other subs to smooth that response. Now I'm sharing the load amongst the subs more evenly. That gives each sub more headroom and reduces the distortion contributed by each.

I also apply a deep cut at that room mode with PEQ.
Very interesting! Can you explain more about the deep cut at the room mode and how it helps?

Sounds like you are using several subs - was a placement not possible to help mitigate the mode then?
post #14563 of 14579 Old 04-22-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Lowering the volume reduces distortion. If you're trying to amp up a room mode, it won't make it any louder, but will increase the distortion produced, so cutting the volume at that point makes sense.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #14564 of 14579 Old 04-22-2015, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Very interesting! Can you explain more about the deep cut at the room mode and how it helps?
The mode I addressed is the one that the room rings at. This first paragraph here explains it nicely. Since the frequency at 31Hz was being constructively interfered with, its waterfall was awful and it was quite noticeably much louder than any other frequency below 100Hz.

By cutting that particular frequency I reduced the energy feeding that constructive interference and brought it more in line with a flat frequency response.

Quote:
Sounds like you are using several subs - was a placement not possible to help mitigate the mode then?
With one sub I had all kinds of modal problems. My room is oddly shaped so the normal suggestions did not work very well.

With one sub I could place it well enough for the MLP but every other seat in the room had horrible resonance problems. Even moving 1ft from the MLP was enough to hear that awfulness.

With 2 subs I could smooth the response enough for the main money seats but the awfulness was still audible everywhere else. Worse yet the subs were localizable and really detracted from sonic experience. It was terrible that onscreen explosions seemed to originate a few feet away from the action.

With 3 subs I could have one up front to address the localizability problem, one in the best place for a sub for smoothness, and one to provide lower frequency support.

For the 4th sub, I was originally going to retire my least capable sub but then I thought "If 3 are good then 4 most be better!". That forth sub is used to extend the bottom cleanly to 20Hz, according to my last measure.
post #14565 of 14579 Old 04-22-2015, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
REW - cannot hear the sweep signal

While attempting to measure from REW, I'm having trouble generating the sweep signal. When I click measure I cannot hear the sweep signal at all.
I have selected ASIO4All drivers.

Whats wrong? I'm going nuts trying to debug this.

Note:
1. I ran a quick test selecting Java drivers instead of Asio4All, and I can hear the sweep signal.
2. I ran Generater and generated Pink noise. I cannot hear this with ASIO4All drivers, with Java yes.
3. My volume on the AVR is -20. I can hear everything else through the speakers.
post #14566 of 14579 Old 04-22-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The mode I addressed is the one that the room rings at. This first paragraph here explains it nicely. Since the frequency at 31Hz was being constructively interfered with, its waterfall was awful and it was quite noticeably much louder than any other frequency below 100Hz.

By cutting that particular frequency I reduced the energy feeding that constructive interference and brought it more in line with a flat frequency response.

With one sub I had all kinds of modal problems. My room is oddly shaped so the normal suggestions did not work very well.

With one sub I could place it well enough for the MLP but every other seat in the room had horrible resonance problems. Even moving 1ft from the MLP was enough to hear that awfulness.

With 2 subs I could smooth the response enough for the main money seats but the awfulness was still audible everywhere else. Worse yet the subs were localizable and really detracted from sonic experience. It was terrible that onscreen explosions seemed to originate a few feet away from the action.

With 3 subs I could have one up front to address the localizability problem, one in the best place for a sub for smoothness, and one to provide lower frequency support.

For the 4th sub, I was originally going to retire my least capable sub but then I thought "If 3 are good then 4 most be better!". That forth sub is used to extend the bottom cleanly to 20Hz, according to my last measure.
Very interesting story - glad you got it worked out. Did you use full subs or consider balancing subs (smaller or in-wall etc)?

How do you identify the bad mode - by looking at the waterfall and finding a narrow band of ringing?

Then at that point what did you do - created a filter at 31 Hz that completely cut out 31 Hz? The idea being that its better to be void of the frequency entirely than to have it create problems in the sound? Is it OK to have such a sharp filter, meaning one that targets a specific frequency like that? I'd imagine that impacts the neighboring frequencies?
post #14567 of 14579 Old 04-22-2015, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Very interesting story - glad you got it worked out. Did you use full subs or consider balancing subs (smaller or in-wall etc)?
I have 3 passive subs and one full sub but none are in-wall or anything like that. Not sure what you mean by "balancing subs"? The compactness of the passives is very attractive, although none fit under the sofa as advertised

Quote:
How do you identify the bad mode - by looking at the waterfall and finding a narrow band of ringing?
Exactly. On my waterfall there was a ridge that extended from top to bottom.

Quote:
Then at that point what did you do - created a filter at 31 Hz that completely cut out 31 Hz?
At that point, I used REW to generate a PEQ filter for my miniDSP 2x4. It calculated the exact frequency (IIRC between 27 and 29Hz), the Q and the level of cut required. The cut it calculates doesn't eliminate the problematic frequency but rather attenuates it to match surrounding frequencies.

Quote:
The idea being that its better to be void of the frequency entirely than to have it create problems in the sound? Is it OK to have such a sharp filter, meaning one that targets a specific frequency like that? I'd imagine that impacts the neighboring frequencies?
I'm not really qualified to answer these questions but, IIUC, targeting a very specific frequency is normal and expected.

See this discussion starting here. If Roger Dressler says it's a good idea then I'm ok with it.

[edit]BTW, none of this would have been possible without being able to continuously measure with REW and the kind feedback of the members here.
[/edit]

Last edited by artur9; 04-22-2015 at 12:58 PM. Reason: kudos to REW
post #14568 of 14579 Old 04-22-2015, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaQBlogs View Post
I have selected ASIO4All drivers.
As has been discussed frequently, ASIO4ALL is not the easiest, most reliable program to install. Try rebooting your computer (more than once), reinstalling ASIO4ALL, turning off all other sounds in the windows control panel, and anything else you can find suggested before in this thread.
If all else fails, you can use REW with Java, it will just be harder to select individual speakers.

Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
post #14569 of 14579 Old 04-22-2015, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Then at that point what did you do - created a filter at 31 Hz that completely cut out 31 Hz? The idea being that its better to be void of the frequency entirely than to have it create problems in the sound? Is it OK to have such a sharp filter, meaning one that targets a specific frequency like that? I'd imagine that impacts the neighboring frequencies?
the sort of filters discussed here a value referred to as Q which denotes the bandwidth over which the filter has an effect. A graph to illustrate, all of these are targeted at 31Hz and apply a -10dB cut at 31Hz but they have different Qs. From the outside in we have Q of 1, 3, 5, 10 and, as you can see, a Q of 1 results in a filter that applies some degree of attenuation way out into the midrange and a meaningful amount throughout the subwoofer passband.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filters.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	680041  
post #14570 of 14579 Old 04-22-2015, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
...At that point, I used REW to generate a PEQ filter for my miniDSP 2x4. It calculated the exact frequency (IIRC between 27 and 29Hz), the Q and the level of cut required. The cut it calculates doesn't eliminate the problematic frequency but rather attenuates it to match surrounding frequencies...
Ohh, so you didn't design the filter manually, but rather REW was smart enough to figure this out on its own? Am I right then to assume that REW not only looks at the FR, but at the decay times and will automatically do what it think is best to eliminate modal ringing? For those that use Dirac Live, am I correct to assume Dirac does the same?
post #14571 of 14579 Old 04-22-2015, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ohh, so you didn't design the filter manually, but rather REW was smart enough to figure this out on its own? Am I right then to assume that REW not only looks at the FR, but at the decay times and will automatically do what it think is best to eliminate modal ringing? For those that use Dirac Live, am I correct to assume Dirac does the same?
Last question first, no. Dirac Live is a crazy sophisticated system for generating FIR and IIR filters, not the PEQ (parametric EQ) filters that I used REW to create. Here's what miniDSP says about the filtering in the 2x4. PEQ does not directly address any of the things you think Dirac does.

I had one problematic frequency. The miniDSP has up to 6 or so filters it can apply according to the above. Dirac, IIUC, can apply hundreds or thousands of filters of a more sophisticated type to room issues.

REW+miniDSP is a Wright Brothers biplane. Dirac Live is a DC-10.
post #14572 of 14579 Old 04-23-2015, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
REW+miniDSP is a Wright Brothers biplane. Dirac Live is a DC-10.
Perhaps, but using REW and Equalizer-APO on my HTPC, I was able to get results that were very similar to that using the trial version of Dirac Live. Dirac is easier, and a blast to play with. And expensive.
Michael

post #14573 of 14579 Old 04-23-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 246
^^ What program do you use to play movie on your HTPC? Do you have to do anything in that program to have it work with EQ-APO or it works regardless of program is used? I am reading your 'Let REW do the work' in the eq-apo website and looks very easy that once I export the .txt from REW and put it in the eq-apo config file, it's done? Thanks.
post #14574 of 14579 Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

TMT 5/6.
It works with all the files I play (movies, mp3, flak, etc.). Interestingly, when I installed the Dirac Live trial, the Dirac sound control panel bypasses the APO system (about which I understand very little, so you'll need to look on the E-APO discussion wiki for that info).
It is very easy. At this point, I have separate eq for each channel, but that's not really necessary to notice a real improvement.
I use MCACC to set levels and distance. You can use the Delay and Preamp functions of E-APO instead, but I'm lazy.
Highly recommended, and FREE!
Michael

post #14575 of 14579 Old Today, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quick Help - so if most of the regulars on this thread remember, you've all been helping me get things fine tuned. My waterfall is "under control" and I have a odd shaped open room, yet it seems to be fairly under control.

Below are Waterfall and ETC to reflect (no pun) that fact (I think).

PROBLEM or NO PROBLEM...meaning am I crazy or is this expected. Now that I am dial in, it seems that everything is quieter, meaning I watched Interstellar last night, and I ran it a -5 to reference and while it was Loud, it did not make my ears bleed. Same thing happened with another movie....

Could it be that a properly controlled room requires more power, my thought is that because the room is not boomy, or reflective that I am hearing direct, clean sound and this is all totally normal. I was afraid that my Audyssey calibration might have gone wacked, but it all checks out.

Any input is appreciated, and any science that I can use to measure this so I can fully understand - please share. HOPEFULLY this all makes sense.

I think that might be a seat reflection - but not sure it is causing the issue I am posting about.

post #14576 of 14579 Old Today, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 246
^^ All I can say is that I went to 3-4 AVSers places to listen to their systems and the system that sound 'quieter' was Craig John with 3 submersive HPs, Triad Platinum speakers and a well treated room. We were listening at reference level for an hour and it didnot seem loud at all, just clean deep and dynamic sound.
post #14577 of 14579 Unread Today, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post
Now that I am dial in, it seems that everything is quieter, meaning I watched Interstellar last night, and I ran it a -5 to reference and while it was Loud, it did not make my ears bleed. Same thing happened with another movie....
Yup. Well done. Enjoy.
Michael

post #14578 of 14579 Unread Today, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post
Now that I am dial in, it seems that everything is quieter, meaning I watched Interstellar last night, and I ran it a -5 to reference and while it was Loud, it did not make my ears bleed. Same thing happened with another movie....
I had the same experience. Bad audio sounds too loud at pretty low levels.

The proof is that my wife only occasionally says to turn things down even though dB-wise things are playing at a level she would previously find intolerable.

The danger with a well-treated room with capable equipment is that really too loud (like 95-100dB) no longer sounds loud and one can risk actual hearing damage.
post #14579 of 14579 Unread Today, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Wow fantastic so now I just have to measure my decibels... To make sure I'm not blowing eardrums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page