Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 499 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 459Likes
post #14941 of 14942 Unread Today, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
TBH, given my room dimensions, the current layout may well be as good as it's going to get, and perhaps I should stop obsessing about it.
Aw, come on. The rest of us are having a blast watching you pull your hair out. Don't give up yet.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14942 of 14942 Unread Today, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)
Liked: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Can you guys please have a look at my MDAT here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...dWM&authuser=0 . It contains my pre-calibration sub only, post calibration sub only (via BFD) and post calibration sub plus L/R.

My take on it is as follows - I'm far from an expert so would like to know what you guys think:

1. The +13 dB peak is completely gone, thankfully. Side note: This nasty peak is what led me to see out a BFD years ago. When I first set up speakers in this room I thought my sub was bad - sounds so muddy and distorted. So I bought a new and highly regarded sub VTF3-MK2. Imagine my surprise when it sounded the same. That's when I researched and found REW and when I saw that I was like "there she is!". A BFD later and I was good to go.

2. Note that I purposely have my sub quite "hot". In addition, it has a house curve of +5 dB at 20 Hz down to +0 dB at 80 Hz. Still sounds very tight. As I posted a few days ago, if I try to balance it at the same SPL as the rest of the FR it sounds like the sub is completely missing...

3. Distortion looks completely fine - don't see any issues there. Right?

4. Waterfall shows great decay times. Considering this is an entirely untreated room that is great. Likely have this because it is a totally open room on one side.

5. ETC shows lots of issues; untreated room remember. I'm not concerned about it right now since I will be building a new room shortly. The purpose of this recalibration was because somehow my sub settings got changed and it didn't sound right, plus I wanted to sharpen my REW skills in preparation for getting an 88A when the new room is ready.

6. BIGGEST QUESTION: What do you guys thing is going on in the 110 Hz to 350 Hz range. It is so much lower than 350 Hz and up. My speakers are Pinnacle Gold Reference towers and are ported. They are each within a cabinet (with FR701 GOM in the front) that is big enough to fit them with about 6" of room in the front, side, back and top. Perhaps because these speakers are not meant to be placed into a cabinet doing so is messing up its response in the 110-350 Hz range?

7. Group delay (the subject of much discussion here lately) on the combined calibrated sub+LR looks looks pretty good, except for 60 ms at 162 Hz at mostly 25 ms and below, except for in the 225 - 350 Hz range as it peaks there near 50 ms and close to 100 ms at one point. Not sure what to do about it but not worth messing with given that I'll be rebuilding the room from scratch.

Other thoughts?

Thanks!
My overall comment would be that you are taking the measurements at too low a level. Of course the distortion looks good, because distortion increases as SPL increases, and your measurements are so low that I would be surprised if distortion would be an issue. The waterfall/spectrogram would be more meaningful if you had 40dB between the noise floor and the measurement peaks, which in your case are only 80dB. Do you have an issue with measuring at a higher level? There is quite a bit of ringing below 30Hz, but this is difficult to control. And finally, if you are going to measure reflections, measure one speaker at a time, not L+R.
post #14943 of 14942 Unread Today, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)
Liked: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Aw, come on. The rest of us are having a blast watching you pull your hair out. Don't give up yet.

Yes, Jim trained me well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page