Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 509 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 544Likes
post #15241 of 15248 Old 06-19-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Thanks. I figure one of the tools of REW is seeing something obvious like that, center being low most of the way.

Panasonic 65" VT50 / PS4
Marantz AV7702 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF7II (2) and RC64II
Dual FV15HP-BM with H600PEQ3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15242 of 15248 Old 06-24-2015, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey guys, I just today got REW up & running on my iMac. I'm using a UMIK-1 mic for measurements. Ok, so I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing lol!!! I tried reading thru the getting started portion of the REW manual but seem to be having difficulties understanding the "check levels" section. I have my iMac connected HDMI to my Outlaw Model 975 & was trying to verify that my levels were set to an acceptable level for measuring. I can not get anywhere near 75db to show up on the Input portion of the level meter. The output portion shows my defaulted setting of -12dbfs & I raised the volume on my 975 processor to a "decently" loud volume & about as high as I get on the Input side is about -48db. Obviously I'm not grasping something here or I have an incorrect setting that I'm hoping someone can help me sort out. I did not want to go any higher on my processor because with Soundflower on the iMac there is an occasional "static" sound when checking levels & the last thing that I want to do is fry one of my speakers. I hope you guys wouldn't mind helping me out a bit as I'm really interested in jumping into measuring my room. Thanks so much guys!!! Carmine.
post #15243 of 15248 Old 06-24-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by carminepesce View Post
The output portion shows my defaulted setting of -12dbfs & I raised the volume on my 975 processor to a "decently" loud volume & about as high as I get on the Input side is about -48db.
REW has a sound meter portion. I think that's what you want to use to do the sound level check.

BTW, one of the better ways to proceed is to read the guide all the way through. Maybe twice or thrice. Then try to work your way through it.
post #15244 of 15248 Old 06-27-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 50
After calibration (using Dirac), I'm getting a dip around 80-60. But when I boost the bass, I for the most part get rid of it. Wanted to know if its actually removed or I need to start moving stuff around to get rid of the dip. Cross-over is set to 80.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	center vs left.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	798402  

7.1 Dirac, L+R+C: RA CX-15, SL,SR: RA-CX-8, Subs: Dual Gamma 218. For Sale: dual XV-15: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...15-1050-a.html
post #15245 of 15248 Old 06-27-2015, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post
After calibration (using Dirac), I'm getting a dip around 80-60. But when I boost the bass, I for the most part get rid of it. Wanted to know if its actually removed or I need to start moving stuff around to get rid of the dip. Cross-over is set to 80.
That is kind of weird. I would not think that increasing the sub volume would reduce a dip, by that much, at about 62 hz especially when you have set your cross over at 80 hz. Many people like to run their subs 5db hot so maybe just keep it hot. Looks better and should sound better.

Just our of curiosity maybe try to measure just your sub and see if you get the same results.
post #15246 of 15248 Old 06-27-2015, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
That is kind of weird. I would not think that increasing the sub volume would reduce a dip, by that much, at about 62 hz especially when you have set your cross over at 80 hz. Many people like to run their subs 5db hot so maybe just keep it hot. Looks better and should sound better.

Just our of curiosity maybe try to measure just your sub and see if you get the same results.
I"m getting the dip due to the interaction with main. Taking reading of only the sub, I get a perfect graph. Here are all the comparisons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	center with sub.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	798978  

7.1 Dirac, L+R+C: RA CX-15, SL,SR: RA-CX-8, Subs: Dual Gamma 218. For Sale: dual XV-15: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...15-1050-a.html

Last edited by SherazNJ; 06-27-2015 at 02:20 PM.
post #15247 of 15248 Old 06-27-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
I"m getting the dip due to the interaction with main. Taking reading of only the sub, I get a perfect graph. Here are all the comparisons.
Maybe keep the x-over at 80 hz and use a steeper x-over slope (if you can choose the slope) and see if that changes anything?
post #15248 of 15248 Unread Today, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2047 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
Sub distance tweak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page