Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 510 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 562Likes
post #15271 of 15294 Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

The fact that you are using Mac/Sunflower always makes it harder to provide the correct recommendations, since I have never see or used that interface. I assume that you are feeding your AVR two connections, one into the left channel and one into the right channel.
I did so, with RCA prior to HDMI, now Soundflower( sorry I mistyped last few posts)-that is virtual audio device, allows easy switching between HDMI 1-8 signal feeds( similar to ASIO on Windows)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
You only have 2 subs right? If so, you are never going to get a good response by spreading out the Audyssey mic positions like you are....just too much variation in the response for Audyssey to deal with.
Do a quick-n-dirty 3 point Audyssey cal - 1st at MLP, 2nd 6" to the right, 3rd 6" to the left - and re-measure with REW. I bet it will look a whole lot better.
Yes, two subs in front corners. Yes I tried to see if I can get uniform sound for most seats, but as you say, I will try to concentrate on front row, two mid seats and see what magic happens, will keep you all updated.

Much appreciated,
Sinisa

Change is the only constant.

My HT: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post32691273
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15272 of 15294 Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
You only have 2 subs right?
Now THAT would make an interesting poll.
ahblaza likes this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #15273 of 15294 Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisanav View Post
I did so, with RCA prior to HDMI, now Soundflower( sorry I mistyped last few posts)-that is virtual audio device, allows easy switching between HDMI 1-8 signal feeds( similar to ASIO on Windows)

Yes, two subs in front corners. Yes I tried to see if I can get uniform sound for most seats, but as you say, I will try to concentrate on front row, two mid seats and see what magic happens, will keep you all updated.

Much appreciated,
Sinisa
Both subs up front?? Not a chance of smoothing over two rows of seating...you need to get one of the sub in back (or maybe on one of the side walls) to even come close.
post #15274 of 15294 Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM

^^^
Yeah, I have room for one more sub in the back just by the riser for second row close to the door( needs to be less then 18 inches wide), no room on side walls( you can see the pics in my sig). And I have to sneak it in, so that my wife does not notice it

post #15275 of 15294 Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
WOW! Very nice looking theater!!

Yeah...that back row, being up against the back wall....it's gonna be impossible to get good bass back there.
sinisanav likes this.
post #15276 of 15294 Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

Thanks, I like my HT! I would have liked if I had 2-3 more feet of length but can't complain.
There are even more treatments on the walls now then in those pics, I have 24x24 inch MOnster Bass traps on back wall in corners and one more panel on side wall, so that helped a LOT compared to bare walls but treatments have their limits...

post #15277 of 15294 Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
it's gonna be impossible to get good bass back there.
In-wall sub(s)?

Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
post #15278 of 15294 Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
No way that Audyssey on should be significantly worse than Audyssey off without some other contributing factor.
sinisanav and I have the Antimode + Audyssey MultEQ XT. With Antimode only, 20Hz - 200Hz is smooooth. Post-Audyssey, the bass region became worse. I've done many mic placement options and the result is the same. kbarnes suggested me to disable the Audyssey.

If you have XT32, things could be different due to the higher resolution.
post #15279 of 15294 Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Liked: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
sinisanav and I have the Antimode + Audyssey MultEQ XT. With Antimode only, 20Hz - 200Hz is smooooth. Post-Audyssey, the bass region became worse. I've done many mic placement options and the result is the same. kbarnes suggested me to disable the Audyssey.

Another test, of course, is to disable the Antimode and see what Audyssey does on its own. This still doesn't explain why Autimode+Audyssey is worse. I have used PEQ to present Audyssey with less work to do, and the results have always been positive.
post #15280 of 15294 Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Another test, of course, is to disable the Antimode and see what Audyssey does on its own. This still doesn't explain why Autimode+Audyssey is worse. I have used PEQ to present Audyssey with less work to do, and the results have always been positive.
I have just re-run Audyssey with different mic positions, more centered on three seats in first row, remeasured with REW, response is better but not optimal, I will post a few comparisons later today or tomorrow, I think it has to do with mic positioning when doing Audyssey, flatter response as I positioned mic closer to MLP . Nice to hear that other had same experience as I do. For better or worse...
Right now I am enjoying some music on the system, with Audyssey on, will try listening tomorrow with it off, to see if I can hear something different, listening to some Sting,Marvin Gaye, Stones, Dire Straits,Annie Lennox,Adele,Amy Winehouse,Stones,U2,Pink Floyd.... Good stuff, lots of drums,bas guitars
Like how Antimode has flattened things out, I am debating with myself should I even try Wider area correction. Skylinestar, have you ever tried that setup, or you just EQed MLP?

post #15281 of 15294 Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM

So, here are the comparisons.
RED measurements are with Audyssey mics set in 8 positions in both rows of seating.
YELLOW measurements are from today where I have placed mic in 8 positions over three front row seats only.

You will see that all speakers have more uniform response, but not yet optimal. Tomorrow or over weekend will do ultimate odyssey setup concentrating only on two middle front row "premium seats"

Last one is subs only with Antimode(blue) only, and then Red with Audyssey in both rows and Yellow with front row only, again yellow looks better then red, but not as good as blue.

I think that every Yellow measurement looks better then Red. So, optimizing smaller area of the whole room for best response. I guess I will be a bit selfish when it comes to which chair to choose to sit in.

post #15282 of 15294 Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

If we could see the measurements, that would be great. How are you attaching them?

The question is, did you run Audyssey with the Antimode in bypass? We would like to see if there is an undesirable interaction between the two.
post #15283 of 15294 Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Like how Antimode has flattened things out, I am debating with myself should I even try Wider area correction. Skylinestar, have you ever tried that setup, or you just EQed MLP?
I've never bothered with wider area correction as I want the best correction at the MLP.
ahblaza and sinisanav like this.
post #15284 of 15294 Old Today, 05:25 AM

Quote:
If we could see the measurements, that would be great. How are you attaching them?

The question is, did you run Audyssey with the Antimode in bypass? We would like to see if there is an undesirable interaction between the two.
Crap, I did not check the post yesterday. I attached as links to jpegs on dropbox...

No, Antimode was engaged, what I did is rearranged mic positions much closer together then first time, concentrating on first row,of seating things improved, I will repost pics when I get back home.

Next, I think I will do when I run Audyssey, is separate mic positions in 6" increments ( as Alan P reccomended) concentrating on even smaller smaller sweet spot, just for MLP and adjoining seat.

post #15285 of 15294 Old Today, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've never bothered with wider area correction as I want the best correction at the MLP.
Okay, we're not coming to YOUR house any time soon.

ahblaza likes this.

post #15286 of 15294 Old Today, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Crap, I did not check the post yesterday. I attached as links to jpegs on dropbox...

No, Antimode was engaged, what I did is rearranged mic positions much closer together then first time, concentrating on first row,of seating things improved, I will repost pics when I get back home.

Next, I think I will do when I run Audyssey, is separate mic positions in 6" increments ( as Alan P reccomended) concentrating on even smaller smaller sweet spot, just for MLP and adjoining seat.
Please don't forget to try the single point measurement (same place for all 8 measurement).
post #15287 of 15294 Old Today, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, obviously you did something wrong when inserting the images. You should right-click the file on Dropbox, select "copy public link", then open the "insert image" icon on AVS and paste in the link.

You can experiment with mic placements all you want, but a simple change in placement is not going to correct the serious problems your measurements are revealing. What is your reluctance to try a calibration with the Antimode in bypass? If interaction between the Antimode and Audyssey is the problem, at least you can make an informed decision on how to proceed.
ahblaza likes this.
post #15288 of 15294 Old Today, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Please don't forget to try the single point measurement (same place for all 8 measurement).
What is the purpose of a single-point measurement? Is this just a test, or would you consider a single-point measurement as a permanent solution?
post #15289 of 15294 Old Today, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
What is the purpose of a single-point measurement? Is this just a test, or would you consider a single-point measurement as a permanent solution?
This makes me very curious as well and would like to know the reasoning for doing this, I'm not trying to be smart, just puzzled.
post #15290 of 15294 Old Today, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
This makes me very curious as well and would like to know the reasoning for doing this, I'm not trying to be smart, just puzzled.
I presume that single point would hone into making a perfect response for only that one particular spot in the room.

Regardless here are my measurements with Audyssey mics set across three left first row seats, looking from the screen, as you will see in the pic.

You can see that Audyssey did better job, so next step is to bunch all 8 mic positions onto two middle front row seats, MLP is the one adjacent to the chair with keyboard on. If that does not do really well then I would do Audyssey with bypassing antimode. Although even now, first image that has blue antimode sweep shows that these are getting close.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3031.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	810234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3032.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	810242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3033.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	810250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3035.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	810258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3036.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	810266  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3029.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	810274  

post #15291 of 15294 Unread Today, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but they look better with Anti-Mode bypassed.......
post #15292 of 15294 Unread Today, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but they look better with Anti-Mode bypassed.......
Which measurement has the Antimode in bypass? I didn't see that in the labelling.
post #15293 of 15294 Unread Today, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I presume that single point would hone into making a perfect response for only that one particular spot in the room.
No. Single-point calibrations have been shown to sound lifeless. Tight mic spacing, on the other hand, can have some benefits, if optimizing for one seat.
ahblaza likes this.
post #15294 of 15294 Unread Today, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Which measurement has the Antimode in bypass? I didn't see that in the labelling.
Sorry Jerry, I misread his post, I thought he said it was Audyssey with Anti-Mode bypassed, reading his discription there is no mention of bypass.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page