Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 511 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 657Likes
post #15301 of 15551 Old 07-05-2015, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 537
It looks like you haven't selected the device channels in the preferences dialog box. What happens when you click on the box with the little arrows under one of the speakers? You will probably (I'm "educated guessing" here) get a list of channels, from which you are supposed to assign one to that speaker. Then click on the speaker to test (after clicking "Apply," of course).
Here's hoping it's that easy.
ahblaza and Greenwood Ave like this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15302 of 15551 Old 07-05-2015, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
It looks like you haven't selected the device channels in the preferences dialog box. What happens when you click on the box with the little arrows under one of the speakers? You will probably (I'm "educated guessing" here) get a list of channels, from which you are supposed to assign one to that speaker. Then click on the speaker to test (after clicking "Apply," of course).
Here's hoping it's that easy.
Oh, I see why you would think that, but I took that screen shot when I was screwing around with some stuff. It's definitely not that. I wish it were that easy!
post #15303 of 15551 Old 07-05-2015, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
There's a guide to using Soundflower that allows one to choose which channels to play. I've successfully used it via optical and two channel settings. My mac doesn't have HDMI so I haven't used it for any other channels.
I had read a little about Soundflower before. For some reason I was thinking this wouldn't solve my problem since I was so convinced that I had the OS configured properly for surround and also REW does seem to work fine for two channel through the AVR. However, from what you say it sounds like this is a problem others have solved using Soundflower. Plus, since it now seems that the Audio MIDI setup doesn't affect what happens with REW at all from what I can determine, which also makes me think this Soundflower thing is the direction forward.

What about my idea of simply moving up the crossover to 250 to take subwoofer only measurements? Is this something people do? My goal tomorrow is to measure the various subwoofer placements more methodically than I've done in the past, so the subs are really what I'm more concerned with.
post #15304 of 15551 Old 07-06-2015, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwood Ave View Post
What about my idea of simply moving up the crossover to 250 to take subwoofer only measurements? Is this something people do? My goal tomorrow is to measure the various subwoofer placements more methodically than I've done in the past, so the subs are really what I'm more concerned with.
My old AVR had 7.1 input so I used to just plug right into the subwoofer input for subwoofer-only measurements. Haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the new one which does not have those inputs.

If you have separate amps the easiest thing to do is to turn off all the amps for the channels you're not testing.
post #15305 of 15551 Old 07-06-2015, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwood Ave View Post
I had read a little about Soundflower before. For some reason I was thinking this wouldn't solve my problem since I was so convinced that I had the OS configured properly for surround and also REW does seem to work fine for two channel through the AVR. However, from what you say it sounds like this is a problem others have solved using Soundflower. Plus, since it now seems that the Audio MIDI setup doesn't affect what happens with REW at all from what I can determine, which also makes me think this Soundflower thing is the direction forward.

I use now MacMini that has HDMI out and Soundflower works flawlessly, when I tried to make it work with my Macbook pro that only had Thunderbolt I could not make Soundflower flip through the HDMI channels. Here is the link to Soundflower "manual"
Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs

But if you want to do subs only with RCA cable, then just unplug the speakers and signal will only go to subs

Change is the only constant.

My HT: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post32691273

Last edited by sinisanav; 07-06-2015 at 10:56 AM.
post #15306 of 15551 Old 07-12-2015, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to get a Umik-1 for my REW setup, now that minidsp provide 90deg cal.
Are there other reason to get it from Cross Spectrum, instead of minidsp?

Thanks
post #15307 of 15551 Old 07-12-2015, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESAL View Post
I would like to get a Umik-1 for my REW setup, now that minidsp provide 90deg cal.
Are there other reason to get it from Cross Spectrum, instead of minidsp?

Thanks
Depends on the price difference. I am not certain that the 90-degree calibration file provided by MiniDSP is a custom measurement, like the one from CSL. Regardless, I suspect the differences to be minor, certainly close enough for the enthusiast measurements that we all make.
JESAL and ahblaza like this.
post #15308 of 15551 Old 07-12-2015, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The difference is $30, shipped to Canada,
Minidsp $95
CSL $125

Thanks
post #15309 of 15551 Old 07-12-2015, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 251
I think the CSL mic is calibrated to a broader frequency range and to more decimal places, if I'm not mistaken.
post #15310 of 15551 Old 07-12-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I think the CSL mic is calibrated to a broader frequency range and to more decimal places, if I'm not mistaken.
I stand by my original statement--any differences are likely to be insignificant for the uses we put it to.
ahblaza likes this.
post #15311 of 15551 Old 07-12-2015, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Depends on the price difference. I am not certain that the 90-degree calibration file provided by MiniDSP is a custom measurement, like the one from CSL. Regardless, I suspect the differences to be minor, certainly close enough for the enthusiast measurements that we all make.
The 90° file provided by miniDSP is calculated from a 0° calibration. As you've said, it should be close enough though.
ahblaza likes this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #15312 of 15551 Old 07-13-2015, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Good call on the UMIK gain. Mine is 18db. I don't know if that will change the equation.
Massively clipped UMIK-1
This has been posted before, just a reminder. This link has screenshots, etc., and is quite informative.
post #15313 of 15551 Old 07-13-2015, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saril View Post
Massively clipped UMIK-1
This has been posted before, just a reminder. This link has screenshots, etc., and is quite informative.
After we have received advice from John M regarding how to properly set up the mic gain level in Windows Audio, there is no reason to change the factory-set gain level, whether it is 12dB or 18dB. My advice is to leave the dip switch settings alone. How to properly set mic gain level is covered in a recent update to the Guide.
ahblaza likes this.
post #15314 of 15551 Old 07-13-2015, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Hello Guys,
My UMIK-1's power on LED is a lot less bright than when I originally got it, could this mean anything that I should be concerned about? TIA

Cheers Jeffrey
post #15315 of 15551 Old 07-13-2015, 12:31 PM

^^^

Yep, you are using it too much Jeff!

Or when the light goes out it might detonate
ahblaza likes this.

post #15316 of 15551 Old 07-13-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisanav View Post
^^^

Yep, you are using it too much Jeff!

Or when the light goes out it might detonate
Yeah I might be, but before John M. advised that all you had to do was change the Mic input gain in Windows I went inside my UMIK and changed the gain from 18 to 12. I don't think I damaged anything as I did test it against REW's and my RS's SPL meter and it was within 1dB. I just thought I would ask about the blue LED................
post #15317 of 15551 Old 07-13-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Yeah I might be, but before John M. advised that all you had to do was change the Mic input gain in Windows I went inside my UMIK and changed the gain from 18 to 12. I don't think I damaged anything as I did test it against REW's and my RS's SPL meter and it was within 1dB. I just thought I would ask about the blue LED................
Jokes aside, when you say you went "inside" UMIK you mean just changing the 90deg file that you use with REW, correct? that will not damage anything.
As long as your measurements do not look completely off I think you are fine. If it is mechanical, mic would probably just stop working.

As for the joke part about how much are we REWing and when to just let go and enjoy. I come from different philosophy, lets say compared to Jerry, I enjoyed tweaking the system last 2-3 months,but is not something I would do week and and were out.
Going back to my measurements in previous 5-10 posts after listening what Audyssey did vs Antimode only, although in graphs one looks better then other , in real world , to my ears , I can not discern any noticeable difference. So, I chose to keep Audyssey on with the latest repossess whereI do have max range 6Hz between highest and lowest points of curve in 20-100 Hz range, big dips at 130 Hz and peak at 175 Hz are modal frees of my room and unless I make my room look like overstuffed bear with more acoustical treatments I will not get rid of those, or spend loads of money on expensive PEQ processors.
More importantly, my HT sounds INCREDIBLE,despite above "imperfections". After I spent last 7 days listening to lots of the music material I love and know and watched whole Hobbit trilogy, Les Miserables, WoW, Interstellar, Saving private Ryan, Das Boot and comparing it to my setup in my first HT( without separate subs) that was in mix use open basement setup.
Now, in separate dedicated space I am sure that me, along with you Jeff and some of the peeps here on these forums have setups that, likely have better sound ( and picture) then most commercial cineplexes , and all of the "non-hobby" population with HTIB setups and similar.
I might decide to add third sub (SVS SB-2000) in the back of the room to smooth the response more and add a touch more headroom. After that I will not touch my setup until something breaks , or until we move and my space changes.

post #15318 of 15551 Old 07-13-2015, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Sin, I did have to change the cal file but it was only after I went inside the actual mic and changed the dip switches to get the designated 12 dB gain structure of the UMIK. I did this for nothing really but it was a lot easier than I thought.

I've been changing my room all around and moving the LP, speakers and subs in relation to my seating only, as I'm the only one that ever utilizes my domain. I've become obsessed with the measuring not as much as most on this thread though, my hearing is slowly fading anyway, that happens with age......

I'd be curious to hear your impressions after adding the third sub, I would just go with four as I believe that would be easier to implement................

Cheers Jeffrey
post #15319 of 15551 Old 07-13-2015, 05:56 PM

Ah, so you, did mechanically alter, still if measurements are not way off don't think you need to worry.

Yep, I will definitely post my third sub impressions/graphs when I get it, might be within a year or so, I do not have room for four separate subs, well I do, but only if I stack up two of them on the back wall spot. I don't need the fourth, truthfully, as I just do not listen at anything higher then MV -15 where I get my 2nd row platform to vibrate and my first row seating shakes and flutters( Interstellar launching scene, pod emerge in WotW). With my family joining me, probably only go up to MV-20.

Sinisa

post #15320 of 15551 Old 07-13-2015, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Yeah, that's the thing. I might listen at 85db by myself, but only 75db when the other half is with me.
sinisanav likes this.
post #15321 of 15551 Old 07-13-2015, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Hey Sin, I did have to change the cal file but it was only after I went inside the actual mic and changed the dip switches to get the designated 12 dB gain structure of the UMIK. I did this for nothing really but it was a lot easier than I thought.

Cheers Jeffrey
As noted in earlier posts, there is really no reason to change the dip switch gain setting from 18dB to 12dB. No harm either. The LED being not so bright means you screwed the pooch, Jeffrey.

Seriously, as long as the mic is still measuring properly, I wouldn't worry about the LED brightness.
post #15322 of 15551 Old 07-13-2015, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
After that I will not touch my setup until something breaks , or until we move and my space changes.
Yeah, I've said that.

Anyone else?

ahblaza likes this.

Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
post #15323 of 15551 Old 07-13-2015, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As noted in earlier posts, there is really no reason to change the dip switch gain setting from 18dB to 12dB. No harm either. The LED being not so bright means you screwed the pooch, Jeffrey.

Seriously, as long as the mic is still measuring properly, I wouldn't worry about the LED brightness.
Jerry, please elaborate on me screwing the pooch.......

Thanks for the LED brightness, I just needed someone else to tell me that.....
post #15324 of 15551 Old 07-13-2015, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Jerry, please elaborate on me screwing the pooch.......

Thanks for the LED brightness, I just needed someone else to tell me that.....
Disclaimer: no animals were hurt as a result of my last post.
ahblaza, sinisanav and arsMatrix like this.
post #15325 of 15551 Old 07-13-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I've said that.

Anyone else?

And what happened?

This is nice hobby, but expensive, good thing that the stuff we use is built with quality so it lasts a long time. Check my posts, I was active through 2008, and until Feb 2009, my first HT build/setup. Since then I have not visited here, no posts, nothing done or upgraded on HT until this year when we moved to new house and I built second HT. Don't plan to move for about 10 years, no need to chase the "holy grail" of home audio and look for something else that other people have and that I might "need".
I am happy with what I have and plan to enjoy it for years to come.
Saril likes this.

post #15326 of 15551 Old 07-14-2015, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Yeah, I've said that.

Anyone else?

I've said that. But then equipment failures and software updates.

I think I have managed to go a few months between "fixing" things once or twice.
post #15327 of 15551 Old 07-14-2015, 05:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
I've said that. But then equipment failures and software updates.

I think I have managed to go a few months between "fixing" things once or twice.
Me too. On occasion, I have gone several hours, perhaps even as much as a day, with out tweaking or measuring something. Of course, the anxiety level gradually builds up...
post #15328 of 15551 Old 07-14-2015, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Me too. On occasion, I have gone several hours, perhaps even as much as a day, with out tweaking or measuring something. Of course, the anxiety level gradually builds up...
My name is Matt and it's been 103 days since I last tweaked my filters *group claps*
ahblaza likes this.
post #15329 of 15551 Old 07-14-2015, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And what happened?
REW was free (with purchase of $100 mic).
HCFR was free (with purchase of $150 meter).

REW during the day, when there's too much light for HCFR; HCFR at night, when the normal people around are going to sleep.

Tweak, tweak, tweak.

Michael

Last edited by LastButNotLeast; 07-14-2015 at 07:35 AM.
post #15330 of 15551 Old 07-14-2015, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
My name is Matt and it's been 103 days since I last tweaked my filters

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page