Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 531 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 731Likes

post #15901 of 15910 Old Today, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
How does one do that? I've noticed some here mention a HPF for the subs but I don't have that capability on my sub or AVR.
This?

http://www.parts-express.com/harriso...s-rca--266-248
Sounds good but do you know of any 25Hz versions with a steeper slope (more than 12dB/octave)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15902 of 15910 Old Today, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Sounds good but do you know of any 25Hz versions with a steeper slope (more than 12dB/octave)?
If your trying to protect your speakers during loud measuring, that is one thing. But if it is for listening, lets consider a few things.

Even if your speakers cant handle full power at low frequencies, it only matters if the source has content there. For most music, there is little below 25hz unless your a fan of Pipe Organ.

If, however, its a AV room, certainly there is reason for concern. The inline 12db filters are nice, but they will vary somewhat in what they do based on the impedance they see. They may under or over cut what you need.

I had a similar issue with my system. I went over the top a bit, but I used winisd and simulated my drivers in their box and determined the cone excursion limits all through the bass region. Along with impedance curves and amplifier apparent loads, was able to get pretty close to cutting just enough where I needed without sacrificing any more than I had to in bass magnitude to keep things in line using my miniDSP.

To get close to the above, you will at minimum need access to PEQ filters. Either a DSP or analog equivalent will do. This way, you can shape fairly precisely the roll off curve. You can gauge without simulating using REW distortion graphs to find a curve that cuts where needed and necessary.

My Room
My Music
Rega - Apollo, Rega - DAC, Goldpoint Passive, Classe CA-100, miniDSP
Jenzen Next
post #15903 of 15910 Old Today, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim19611961 View Post
Quote:
If your trying to protect your speakers during loud measuring, that is one thing. But if it is for listening, lets consider a few things.

Even if your speakers cant handle full power at low frequencies, it only matters if the source has content there. For most music, there is little below 25hz unless your a fan of Pipe Organ.

If, however, its a AV room, certainly there is reason for concern. The inline 12db filters are nice, but they will vary somewhat in what they do based on the impedance they see. They may under or over cut what you need.

I had a similar issue with my system. I went over the top a bit, but I used winisd and simulated my drivers in their box and determined the cone excursion limits all through the bass region. Along with impedance curves and amplifier apparent loads, was able to get pretty close to cutting just enough where I needed without sacrificing any more than I had to in bass magnitude to keep things in line using my miniDSP.

To get close to the above, you will at minimum need access to PEQ filters. Either a DSP or analog equivalent will do. This way, you can shape fairly precisely the roll off curve. You can gauge without simulating using REW distortion graphs to find a curve that cuts where needed and necessary.
It's av, for movies and video games. However if this simple $25 part gets close enough, that will hold me over for now at the very least.
post #15904 of 15910 Old Today, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
ordered on Amazon (via parts express)

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Audio: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Cambridge Audio S20 Bookshelves (CA S20-N) as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)
post #15905 of 15910 Old Today, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
Quote:
Does that mean my sub is getting a 12.5Hz signal when REW is set to 25Hz? And when you say ends a octave higher are you referring to the upper limit of the sweep set in REW?
Yes to both
Based on this, where should I set the upper limit when measuring the LFE channel (sub only)? 120Hz? 200Hz?
post #15906 of 15910 Old Today, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Having issues with rew on win10. Did a clean install of windows 10. Umik shows up in recording devices and everything configured as in the guide. Umik also shows in asio and is active. It's also named umik 1. When I select asio in preferences, it doesn't auto detect the umik but it does when I select java. If I first select the umik with java, then switch to asio, it only asks if I want to still use the cal file, but the names that show in the input drop down are only usb mic 1 and 2. So I selected usb mic 1 even though asio shows it as umik. When I check the rew spl meter, it comes up red and doesn't recognize the calibration file. I pointed it several times to my cal file and its still red. Z weighted is checked. Can't figure it out. When I choose java again and run the rew spl, it's white so seems to be recognizing the cal file with java. What gives? I'm so frustrated I'm about to go back to win7
post #15907 of 15910 Old Today, 08:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3212 Post(s)
Liked: 1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
Having issues with rew on win10. Did a clean install of windows 10. Umik shows up in recording devices and everything configured as in the guide. Umik also shows in asio and is active. It's also named umik 1. When I select asio in preferences, it doesn't auto detect the umik but it does when I select java. If I first select the umik with java, then switch to asio, it only asks if I want to still use the cal file, but the names that show in the input drop down are only usb mic 1 and 2. So I selected usb mic 1 even though asio shows it as umik. When I check the rew spl meter, it comes up red and doesn't recognize the calibration file. I pointed it several times to my cal file and its still red. Z weighted is checked. Can't figure it out. When I choose java again and run the rew spl, it's white so seems to be recognizing the cal file with java. What gives? I'm so frustrated I'm about to go back to win7
You may want to read this thread: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...dows-10-a.html

Current status: Issue 1--The UMIK-1 is identified as "USB Audio Device 1", and not by the specific name "UMIK-1". However, the mic is still completely functional. Issue2--Windows 10 will not recognize the sensitivity parameter, so a manual calibration is required. This should not be a show-stopper--everyone should know how to calibrate manually.

I have also perceived that ASIO can be even more difficult to get working right under Windows 10.

Bottom line: you can be functional with REW under Win10, but it takes some work. I was not willing to expend the extra effort, so I reverted to Win7 on my measurement laptop.
post #15908 of 15910 Old Today, 08:23 PM

Thanks jerry this is great info. The issue I'm having seems to be that rew isn't recognizing the cal file at all, unless it's the sensitivity factor that causes the spl meter to be red vs white?. It sounds like I should just manually calibrate and I should be good...isn't the ratshack manual calibration not as accurate though? Just curious, if this workaround is all I need to do to get rew working, what issues did u have which caused you to go back to win7? Thanks
post #15909 of 15910 Old Today, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3212 Post(s)
Liked: 1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdub1 View Post
Thanks jerry this is great info. The issue I'm having seems to be that rew isn't recognizing the cal file at all, unless it's the sensitivity factor that causes the spl meter to be red vs white?. It sounds like I should just manually calibrate and I should be good...isn't the ratshack manual calibration not as accurate though? Just curious, if this workaround is all I need to do to get rew working, what issues did u have which caused you to go back to win7? Thanks
I only use my laptop for measurements, so I don't need any of the newer Win10 features. When I set about to do a measurement session, I don't want to have to work around the types of issues I described. Nothing more than that.

Here is what you should try: Open the REQ SPL meter and click Calibrate. If REQ is recognizing the sensitivity parameter, it will tell you no calibration is required. Otherwise, if you proceed to the measurement screen, you will get a warning that the mic has not been calibrated.

Now, why are you saying that the calibration file is not being recognized? I ran a couple of measurements, one with the cal file, and one without, and the measurements are different. This seems to indicate that REW is indeed using the cal file.
post #15910 of 15910 Old Today, 09:29 PM

Reason I said the cal file isn't recognized is bc when I go to the rew spl meter, its red and allows me to calibrate. It also says my noise floor is around 65db when the ratshack meter says about 43db. I can try to run the same test as you and see if the measurement is different with and without rew pointed at the cal file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew