Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 531 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 731Likes
post #15901 of 15904 Unread Today, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
How does one do that? I've noticed some here mention a HPF for the subs but I don't have that capability on my sub or AVR.
This?

http://www.parts-express.com/harriso...s-rca--266-248
Sounds good but do you know of any 25Hz versions with a steeper slope (more than 12dB/octave)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15902 of 15904 Unread Today, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Sounds good but do you know of any 25Hz versions with a steeper slope (more than 12dB/octave)?
If your trying to protect your speakers during loud measuring, that is one thing. But if it is for listening, lets consider a few things.

Even if your speakers cant handle full power at low frequencies, it only matters if the source has content there. For most music, there is little below 25hz unless your a fan of Pipe Organ.

If, however, its a AV room, certainly there is reason for concern. The inline 12db filters are nice, but they will vary somewhat in what they do based on the impedance they see. They may under or over cut what you need.

I had a similar issue with my system. I went over the top a bit, but I used winisd and simulated my drivers in their box and determined the cone excursion limits all through the bass region. Along with impedance curves and amplifier apparent loads, was able to get pretty close to cutting just enough where I needed without sacrificing any more than I had to in bass magnitude to keep things in line using my miniDSP.

To get close to the above, you will at minimum need access to PEQ filters. Either a DSP or analog equivalent will do. This way, you can shape fairly precisely the roll off curve. You can gauge without simulating using REW distortion graphs to find a curve that cuts where needed and necessary.

My Room
My Music
Rega - Apollo, Rega - DAC, Goldpoint Passive, Classe CA-100, miniDSP
Jenzen Next
post #15903 of 15904 Unread Today, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim19611961 View Post
Quote:
If your trying to protect your speakers during loud measuring, that is one thing. But if it is for listening, lets consider a few things.

Even if your speakers cant handle full power at low frequencies, it only matters if the source has content there. For most music, there is little below 25hz unless your a fan of Pipe Organ.

If, however, its a AV room, certainly there is reason for concern. The inline 12db filters are nice, but they will vary somewhat in what they do based on the impedance they see. They may under or over cut what you need.

I had a similar issue with my system. I went over the top a bit, but I used winisd and simulated my drivers in their box and determined the cone excursion limits all through the bass region. Along with impedance curves and amplifier apparent loads, was able to get pretty close to cutting just enough where I needed without sacrificing any more than I had to in bass magnitude to keep things in line using my miniDSP.

To get close to the above, you will at minimum need access to PEQ filters. Either a DSP or analog equivalent will do. This way, you can shape fairly precisely the roll off curve. You can gauge without simulating using REW distortion graphs to find a curve that cuts where needed and necessary.
It's av, for movies and video games. However if this simple $25 part gets close enough, that will hold me over for now at the very least.
post #15904 of 15904 Unread Today, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
ordered on Amazon (via parts express)

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Audio: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Cambridge Audio S20 Bookshelves (CA S20-N) as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page