Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 532 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 733Likes

post #15931 of 15951 Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I guess I misunderstood when you said Windows Audio. I right clicked on the speaker icon and in there clicked on the individual speakers and tones played from them. That's the only way I've been able to get any sound out of anything, nothing else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15932 of 15951 Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 3236 Post(s)
Liked: 1770
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots View Post
I guess I misunderstood when you said Windows Audio. I right clicked on the speaker icon and in there clicked on the individual speakers and tones played from them. That's the only way I've been able to get any sound out of anything, nothing else.
So explain why you are stuck on page 56 step 4.a?
post #15933 of 15951 Old Today, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2080 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut11 View Post
I fail to understand what your point is.
You made claims about the decay time of a measurement shown by another user and I said that this particular plot didn't show that information.

Attached is an example. Default settings compared to short window/rise time, same underlying measurement data. I've just changed perspective and number of slices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	24
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	916610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.png
Views:	24
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	916618  

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole

Last edited by markus767; Today at 12:49 AM.
post #15934 of 15951 Old Today, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
You made claims about the decay time of a measurement shown by another user and I said that this particular plot didn't show that information.
So, I'll ask again. Why doesn't that particular plot show that information?

Quote:
Attached is an example. Default settings compared to short window/rise time, same underlying measurement data. I've just changed perspective and number of slices.

[nitpicking]Looks like you've changed the rise time, not the number of slices[/nitpicking]

But either way, the changes are obvious when the rise time is changed by a large value. So, I'll ask again. Why does the particular plot not show the information I claimed?
post #15935 of 15951 Old Today, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
[nitpicking]Looks like you've changed the rise time, not the number of slices[/nitpicking]
Err, that's what I've said. The plots show just differences in window length and rise time. Everything else stayed the same. I've just changed perspective and number of slices form the REW default settings. They are the same for both graphs though.

Quote:
But either way, the changes are obvious when the rise time is changed by a large value. So, I'll ask again. Why does the particular plot not show the information I claimed?
Don't know how to make my point clearer. The graphs show exactly what I'm talking about. Looking at the spectrogram is even more revealing.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #15936 of 15951 Old Today, 01:29 AM

Quote:
They are the same for both graphs though.
Yeah, my apologies, I was reading it as if you had made those changes between graphs.

Quote:
Don't know how to make my point clearer. The graphs show exactly what I'm talking about.
That the rise time of the graph in question is different from default? If so, how exactly? Describe in detail please, how you made that determination.
The example you posted shows clear differences. The graph in question doesn't seem so clear. If you find this detail clear, please, describe further.
post #15937 of 15951 Old Today, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Play around with rise time and windows length and everything should fall into place.

Markus

post #15938 of 15951 Old Today, 03:08 AM

I have, for the last three days. Which is why I have the confidence to rehash the discussion for some clarity. But everytime I ask you to describe in detail, why you have the confidence to make this statement,

Quote:
NEVER draw any conclusions about decay if you don't know what settings were used to generate the waterfall. Waterfall graphs can be highly misleading.
I'm expected to play with settings and find some result myself. Despite, having numerous times, described to you that I cannot ascertain how the graph in question differs significantly from optimal settings to determine decay rates.
Allow me to make some pertinent statements myself, then I'm done.

Thanks for the discussion. I've been banging my head against a wall, but I have somewhat of a better understanding of some waterfall settings then I otherwise did.

I don't claim to know everything, but I'm confident that I am not the only long term contributor to this thread, who would/is/does struggle to ascertain that the graph in question, doesn't have the optimal rise time setting for determining decay rates. Heck, I even have the mdat of the graph in question, and unless I change the rise time significantly (which obviously makes significant observable changes to the way the graph is displayed), I cannot see how small changes in rise time significantly alter my ability to determine decay from waterfall results, or how my determination is inaccurate based on the rise time setting of the graph.

I described why I threw some numbers around, which you seemed to have completely ignored and/or disregarded, despite that clarification describing in detail, the why I did what I did. I used plain English words to describe my lack of confidence in making accurate conclusions based on the graph in question. Heck, I even bolded those words in a separate post to make a point. It would have been nice if you could have explained in detail what it is you were seeing, that differed from what I was seeing, especially after my repeated attempts to inform you that I was struggling to "play with settings" myself, and find the results you seemed to think should be clear as day. Please take no offense if I start nicknaming you Confucius.

Window length adjusts frequency resolution only. As per the REW help quoted earlier.
Quote:
After V5.0 the waterfall behaviour has been enhanced to improve control over its appearance and extend its use to include the analysis of drive unit and cabinet resonances. The left hand window width is specified independently, using a setting labelled Rise Time. Changing the Window setting only alters the Right Hand window, which means that the Window setting now controls only the frequency resolution of the waterfall - longer settings give higher resolution - without altering the waterfall's time domain behaviour. There are also controls to select how many slices the waterfall should have (up to 100) and to select the smoothing to apply to each slice.
Since decay infers time domain, changing the window length won't change anything useful in the time domain, except the accuracy of the frequency representation.

You've described "window settings", "impulse response windowing". If you're going to make a point of the accuracy of others, please ensure your own accuracy.
Quote:
Changing the Window setting only alters the Right Hand window, which means that the Window setting now controls only the frequency resolution of the waterfall - longer settings give higher resolution - without altering the waterfall's time domain behaviour.
The window setting has no bearing the information in the time domain, except as stated, the frequency resolution, which holds no significant bearing on decay determination. Impulse response windowing, which implies the "IR windows" setting, holds no bearing on the waterfall measurements. I make this point, since you glossed over my deliberate attempt to use English words to describe my lack of confidence, while using vague references to specific REW settings (rise time) yourself.

Quote:
NEVER draw any conclusions about decay if you don't know what settings were used to generate the waterfall. Waterfall graphs can be highly misleading.
By definition, no one can possibly know what settings were used to generate waterfall graphs posted to this thread, when a simple graph is posted, without the settings panel also being visible. So, it makes sense that mdats should be posted, by default. This leaves no room for drawing any conclusions based on unreliable data, period!

Last edited by Audionut11; Today at 03:13 AM.
post #15939 of 15951 Old Today, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, don't have the time for this. It's really all explained in REW > Help > Graph Panel > Waterfall

Markus

post #15940 of 15951 Old Today, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
I have, for the last three days. Which is why I have the confidence to rehash the discussion for some clarity. But everytime I ask you to describe in detail, why you have the confidence to make this statement,
Would it be prudent to draw a conclusion from a FR graph if you didn't know the smoothing or the vertical db increments?

My Room
My Music
Rega - Apollo, Rega - DAC, Goldpoint Passive, Classe CA-100, miniDSP
Jenzen Next
post #15941 of 15951 Old Today, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By definition, no one can possibly know what settings were used to generate waterfall graphs posted to this thread, when a simple graph is posted, without the settings panel also being visible. So, it makes sense that mdats should be posted, by default. This leaves no room for drawing any conclusions based on unreliable data, period!
IMO, simple graphs should include the settings panel. And if you really want another to investigate some problem your having properly, the mdat's should be included also.

Having all the relevant data doesn't guarantee you will reach the right conclusion/interpretation either, but it gives you a better chance.
Audionut11 likes this.

My Room
My Music
Jenzen Next

Last edited by jim19611961; Today at 08:04 AM.
post #15942 of 15951 Old Today, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim19611961 View Post
Would it be prudent to draw a conclusion from a FR graph if you didn't know the smoothing or the vertical db increments?

Look at the example that Markus posted above. One clearly has a large rise time, and the other clearly does not. They are distinct differences from the setting of a specific function of REW.

A FR graphs smoothness can be affected by factors outside of REW settings. If you can make a waterfall look like the one with a small rise time, without specifically setting a small rise time, I'll eat my hat. If you can do that unintentionally by simply posting some graphs of a room response while looking for feedback, I'll eat two hats.

Look at some of your mdats Jim. Adjust the rise time setting. How far does the rise time have to be adjusted from default settings, before significant changes to the waterfall, that would affect you ability to determine accurate conclusions on the decay? At that rise time setting, can you draw a conclusion regarding the presentation of the waterfall? Does it look right? Or, even without any prior knowledge of rise time, would you look at the graph and consider that something is amiss?

The increase in knowledge from the discussion is very welcomed. The disdain in which that push towards further knowledge was conducted, is not.
post #15943 of 15951 Old Today, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 51
does the riaa curve still apply? or play into how we hope to refine our hifi systems? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc800v, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Velodyne HGS 12, VA 1512
post #15944 of 15951 Old Today, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Look at the example that Markus posted above. One clearly has a large rise time, and the other clearly does not. They are distinct differences from the setting of a specific function of REW.

A FR graphs smoothness can be affected by factors outside of REW settings. If you can make a waterfall look like the one with a small rise time, without specifically setting a small rise time, I'll eat my hat. If you can do that unintentionally by simply posting some graphs of a room response while looking for feedback, I'll eat two hats.

Look at some of your mdats Jim. Adjust the rise time setting. How far does the rise time have to be adjusted from default settings, before significant changes to the waterfall, that would affect you ability to determine accurate conclusions on the decay? At that rise time setting, can you draw a conclusion regarding the presentation of the waterfall? Does it look right? Or, even without any prior knowledge of rise time, would you look at the graph and consider that something is amiss?

The increase in knowledge from the discussion is very welcomed. The disdain in which that push towards further knowledge was conducted, is not.
I think your missing the point, or at least my point.

I think most of us can agree that interpretation of any graph takes a bit of skill and experience. Its a learning curve. To this end, the more data you have, the better picture of whats happening acoustically in a room you have.

If you were trying to identify a photo, you might be able to do so looking at a portion of it, true. But would there ever be a case where looking at all of it would diminish your chances of getting to the right answer?

My Room
My Music
Jenzen Next
post #15945 of 15951 Old Today, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
does the riaa curve still apply? or play into how we hope to refine our hifi systems? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization
For vinyl systems, yes.
post #15946 of 15951 Old Today, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If we knew all posted graphs were using REW default settings, I might agree with you. But we dont. Maybe not unintentionally, but I could intentionally adjust the settings to spin your interpretation a certain way quite easily. The flaw in your point is we have no way of knowing what settings changes someone has made to a graph prior to posting it. And when a poster shows us two graphs for comparison, we have no way of knowing if they were posted using the same settings. Especially true when comparing a recent graph to one they took weeks, months or years ago where the prior settings attributes wont be remembered.

My Room
My Music
Jenzen Next
post #15947 of 15951 Old Today, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I think most of us can agree that interpretation of any graph takes a bit of skill and experience. Its a learning curve. To this end, the more data you have, the better picture of whats happening acoustically in a room you have.

If you were trying to identify a photo, you might be able to do so looking at a portion of it, true. But would there ever be a case where looking at all of it would diminish your chances of getting to the right answer?
I wholeheartedly agree Jim. But in terms of rise time and room modes, how much more data is needed to make a reasonable conclusion regarding decay time. In this instance, I could well point out that more data would actually hinder the process, since smaller rise times are for specific purposes, and higher rise times are for specific purposes.

Quote:
REW's waterfalls have been aimed at examining room resonances. To help make those resonances easy to see in the response, a wide left hand window is used - in REW V5.0 and earlier its width was half the setting entered as the Window time, and the right hand window had a width equal to the window time. However, that meant increasing the Window setting increased both the frequency resolution (the main reason for wanting a longer window) and also stretched the response out in time, due the increased left hand window width. That was not very helpful, as it meant the time range had to be increased to get back to a useful view of the behaviour.

After V5.0 the waterfall behaviour has been enhanced to improve control over its appearance and extend its use to include the analysis of drive unit and cabinet resonances. The left hand window width is specified independently, using a setting labelled Rise Time. Changing the Window setting only alters the Right Hand window, which means that the Window setting now controls only the frequency resolution of the waterfall - longer settings give higher resolution - without altering the waterfall's time domain behaviour. There are also controls to select how many slices the waterfall should have (up to 100) and to select the smoothing to apply to each slice.
But back to your point. I've been quietly pushing for mdats to be posted for 12 months or more. I agree with the concept of standardized graph settings for first time posters. But these settings for the waterfall produce a simple overview with very little resolution. The next logical step, is to increase the resolution of the areas of interest, and this cannot be done with a simple graph.

It would also entirely eliminate the back and forth that occurs every second page or so. "Your graph isn't posted right", "how do I fix that sorry", "read the guide". Only then to be told, at some stage further down the track when they want to progress further, to post an mdat.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned previously that I am not trying to neglect the work, effort and commitment that Jerry has placed into the guide. Streamlining a process should never be considered as disrespectful. I mention this simply for clarity for everyone.

Quote:
If we knew all posted graphs were using REW default settings, I might agree with you. But we dont.
You're barking up the wrong tree Jim.

Quote:
Maybe not unintentionally, but I could intentionally adjust the settings to spin your interpretation a certain way quite easily. The flaw in your point is we have no way of knowing what settings changes someone has made to a graph prior to posting it.
I'm ready to eat that hat Jim.
post #15948 of 15951 Old Today, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm ready to eat that hat Jim.
Here are two waterfalls derived from the SAME file, but with different settings. Still confident you would gain the same interpretation from each?

Name:	waterfall 1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	917018

Name:	waterfall 2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	917026

My Room
My Music
Jenzen Next
post #15949 of 15951 Old Today, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Hi everyone. I am in the process of setting up a two channel listening room.

Which graphs/data should I post here in order to receive advice on how to position speakers and listening position? Also, which graphs/data should I post in order to receive advice on room treatments?

My room is a small one and not ideal. 12.23' x 11' x 9.5'

Thanks.

p.s. Jerry and to everyone else who contributed... great job on the user's guide. I was able to setup and take measurements without a problem. Excellent guide!!

2.0 System
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2
Music Hall A15.3
Clearaudio Concept
post #15950 of 15951 Old Today, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 3236 Post(s)
Liked: 1770
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonT35 View Post
Hi everyone. I am in the process of setting up a two channel listening room.

Which graphs/data should I post here in order to receive advice on how to position speakers and listening position? Also, which graphs/data should I post in order to receive advice on room treatments?

My room is a small one and not ideal. 12.23' x 11' x 9.5'

Thanks.

p.s. Jerry and to everyone else who contributed... great job on the user's guide. I was able to setup and take measurements without a problem. Excellent guide!!
You could start out with a traditional placement with the two speakers and the MLP forming an equilateral triangle. Using this as a starting point, measure the frequency response of left and right speakers (including the sub, if you will be using one). Depending on the measured response, you can adjust the distances and still maintain the basic equilateral triangle layout. Avoid placement of speakers or MLP too close to a wall.

After your best effort, post your measurements here, and I am sure you will get feedback. To assess room response characteristics, post the waterfall graph (to measure bass resonance), and the ETC graph (to measure speculation reflections).
post #15951 of 15951 Old Today, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
It would also entirely eliminate the back and forth that occurs every second page or so. "Your graph isn't posted right", "how do I fix that sorry", "read the guide". Only then to be told, at some stage further down the track when they want to progress further, to post an mdat.
I find the posting of graphs vs mdat vastly preferable. That way I get to see the experts dissect issues. With the mdat, not so much. The latter, as a teaching tool, fails miserably.

In any case, that back and forth would be replaced with another more insidious one.

newbie: "Here's my mdat. Can you tell me what I need to fix?"
forum: "What are you trying to address?"
newbie: "My FR looks funny to me."
forum: "Funny how? And how did you take these measurements?"
newbie: "I hung my Audyssey mic from the ceiling with bungee cords. Then I played pink noise for 4 seconds. Why isn't my FR flat like yours?"

I exaggerate but we have had a few people try to use their Audyssey mics for REW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page