Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 534 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 763Likes
post #15991 of 16017 Old 09-02-2015, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I don't know the purpose of the 1/3 octave cal files. Why don't you send a note CSL and ask them what they would be used for?
Thanks Jerry, I'll probably never have any use for them anyway. Sorry to be so persistent about nothing except my own curiousness....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15992 of 16017 Old Yesterday, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots View Post
What/where is the setting that I change in REW to output to the headphones?
I am not a Windows user so I cannot answer this. But I am thinking that if you don't know how to do this then there's no way to ascertain if your audio output is set up correctly.
post #15993 of 16017 Old Yesterday, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Is the mic that comes with Yamaha receivers good enough for this? I'm asking because I read it was calibrated and fine to use.
post #15994 of 16017 Old Yesterday, 05:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1982 Post(s)
Liked: 1267
Quote:
It does. I don't have a set of earbuds but the lady does, when she gets home in a few hours I'll give that a try.
Forget about that for a minute. Can you get any sound from your PC over HDMI via your receiver?

Set your HDMI output to the default sound device and go watch a Youtube video or play an MP3. If you don't hear sound I'd suggest making sure that your X2000 is actually using the HDMI input, not the RCA inputs on the front.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sound.png
Views:	133
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	922506  
ahblaza likes this.
post #15995 of 16017 Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Guys, please forgive my ignorance, I just got a CSL UMIK and download all the cal files and copied and pasted the sensitivity factor into each file. What is the use for the 1/3rd octave
Frequency response curves at 0°, 45° and 90° angles of incidence. TIA, sorry for the simple question, it's not in Jerry's guide (the only thing that isn't)...

Cheers Jeff
Most pro (and home, if anybody uses them anymore) equalizers are 1/3-octave designs and a lot of venues are, or used to be before the DSP revolution, EQ'd in 1/3-octave bands. That was/is considered sufficient resolution for most venues, and is a compromise between frequency resolution and cost (noise, power, etc.)

Ignore them for REW. Use the high-resolution 90 degree cal file.
ahblaza likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #15996 of 16017 Old Yesterday, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
I am trying to help you, but you are not answering the questions I have asked. When you attempt to output the sound using the signal generator, you say there is no sound coming from the speakers. Yet you didn't answer an important question--did REW display an error message? If yes, please take a screen shot and post it.

If no error message is displayed, REW "thinks" it is outputting a sound, but for some reason your AVR is not reproducing it. Back to the speaker level-setting tones, if they are not playing, then your AVR is not functioning properly. Next step would be to perform a microprocessor reset on the AVR. What make and model is it?
No error message in REW. Denon AVR model X2000. Was outputting test tones fine until I started messing with the mic last week.
post #15997 of 16017 Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Forget about that for a minute. Can you get any sound from your PC over HDMI via your receiver?

Set your HDMI output to the default sound device and go watch a Youtube video or play an MP3. If you don't hear sound I'd suggest making sure that your X2000 is actually using the HDMI input, not the RCA inputs on the front.

I will try that when I get home from work tonight. If I'm setting the AVR input to AUX and using the AUX HDMI input on the front of the AVR shouldn't that be the input that is used not the RCA's? I guess there's an off chance that the AUX input on the AVR is bad; this is the first time I've ever tried using it.
post #15998 of 16017 Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 571
It looks like the AVR is set up to use that input.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (336.1 KB, 24 views)
ahblaza likes this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #15999 of 16017 Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Most pro (and home, if anybody uses them anymore) equalizers are 1/3-octave designs and a lot of venues are, or used to be before the DSP revolution, EQ'd in 1/3-octave bands. That was/is considered sufficient resolution for most venues, and is a compromise between frequency resolution and cost (noise, power, etc.)

Ignore them for REW. Use the high-resolution 90 degree cal file.
Thank you Don for the information, my curiosity is now satisfied. All the inquiries to find out I can just ignore them...Thank you again
post #16000 of 16017 Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3271 Post(s)
Liked: 1787
Quote:
I will try that when I get home from work tonight. If I'm setting the AVR input to AUX and using the AUX HDMI input on the front of the AVR shouldn't that be the input that is used not the RCA's? I guess there's an off chance that the AUX input on the AVR is bad; this is the first time I've ever tried using it.
Let's assume for a moment that the issue might be with the HDMI interface somewhere. The guide also explains how users with non-HDMI laptops can use REW with the Java interface.

A brief summary:

- Procure a cable that has a 3.5mm stereo jack on one end, and two RCA connectors on the other (these are quite common).
- Plug the 3.5mm jack into the headphone output on the laptop.
- Plug the two RCA connectors into the front panel RCA audio jacks.
- Select Java as the driver on the REW preferences screen.
- Test out the REW audio output by opening the signal generator and performing the test described yesterday.

If these quick instructions are not sufficient, consult the guide for more detailed instructions. Report results.
post #16001 of 16017 Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
starting over

hello all,

I am trying to re arrange my speaker and sub and wanted to use REW to help me get the best out of my set-up. I am familiar with REW and have taken a few measurement with a calibrated UMM6.

Before i study my living room and invest in some acoustic treatment, i would like to find the best positions for my sub and speakers. Where do i start ?

My plan, please correct me if i am doing something wrong here..

1. Sub crawl : place the sub at the listening position and find a best response to identify optimum location for my sub.
2 & 3. FL speaker : measure FL alone to find the best position and repeat this for FR
4. understand Sub alone and FL + Sub / FR + Sub.
5. Play with phase, delay and cross over setting for sub.

Am i in the right path here?

TIA
post #16002 of 16017 Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindhan View Post
hello all,

I am trying to re arrange my speaker and sub and wanted to use REW to help me get the best out of my set-up. I am familiar with REW and have taken a few measurement with a calibrated UMM6.

Before i study my living room and invest in some acoustic treatment, i would like to find the best positions for my sub and speakers. Where do i start ?

My plan, please correct me if i am doing something wrong here..

1. Sub crawl : place the sub at the listening position and find a best response to identify optimum location for my sub.
2 & 3. FL speaker : measure FL alone to find the best position and repeat this for FR
4. understand Sub alone and FL + Sub / FR + Sub.
5. Play with phase, delay and cross over setting for sub.

Am i in the right path here?

TIA
I would start with a traditional placement of the left and right speakers, forming an equilateral triangle with the MLP, and keeping the speakers a comfortable distance from the side and front walls, and any nearby reflective surfaces. Then measure the response of the left and right speakers and, if there are no obvious issues, proceed to finding the best spot for the sub. Remember, the placement of the main speakers should be determined by the best imaging and soundstage, and the equilateral triangle approach is known to have good imaging.

Search for the "Harman Room Mode Calculator", plug in your room dimensions, and you will have information regarding your room modes. When measuring the sub response, if you have a dip in the response, try placing the sub in the center of the dip. And if you have only one sub, strongly consider getting a second sub of the same make/model--two subs produce a MUCH better response than one sub.
post #16003 of 16017 Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
MBK

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
I'm having issues with pops while running sweeps as well. I haven't found a solution yet.
I've been hunting and I can't find any way to solve this as of yet. The pops and buzzes are definitely caused by sound flower (they go away when I choose default output), but no versions of sound flower I've found (1.6.6, 1.6.7, 2.02b) solve the problem. I've not found any other application capable of routing sound to a specific HDMI channel.

The only option I've found is Fuzzmeasure, which looks great but I'm not eager to put another $100 into measurements at this stage.

Anyone got ideas?
post #16004 of 16017 Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 571
A "legacy" setup using RCA plugs and Java?

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #16005 of 16017 Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Let's assume for a moment that the issue might be with the HDMI interface somewhere. The guide also explains how users with non-HDMI laptops can use REW with the Java interface.

A brief summary:

- Procure a cable that has a 3.5mm stereo jack on one end, and two RCA connectors on the other (these are quite common).
- Plug the 3.5mm jack into the headphone output on the laptop.
- Plug the two RCA connectors into the front panel RCA audio jacks.
- Select Java as the driver on the REW preferences screen.
- Test out the REW audio output by opening the signal generator and performing the test described yesterday.

If these quick instructions are not sufficient, consult the guide for more detailed instructions. Report results.
Or unplug something that is known to be working like cable/sat box, and plug into that input on the back and see if you get anything. I am a bit concerned about his AVR as he can't even seem to get the AVR test tones out of it. Has the question been asked does Audessey setup ping the speakers?
post #16006 of 16017 Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
Is the mic that comes with Yamaha receivers good enough for this? I'm asking because I read it was calibrated and fine to use.
One would assume that Yamaha has it calibrated for their YPAO measurements, but even if that's the case, we don't have access to that calibration data. So far all intents and purposes, it's useless for DIY measurements.
post #16007 of 16017 Old Today, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
traditional placement of the left and right speakers, forming an equilateral triangle with the MLP, and keeping the speakers a comfortable distance from the side and front walls, and any nearby reflective surfaces.
My living room is L-Shaped with kitchen in one corner. My equipments are next to the kitchen. If i had a rectangular room, i would have started with equilateral triangle approach. I hope my next home will

Quote:
the placement of the main speakers should be determined by the best imaging and soundstage, and the equilateral triangle approach is known to have good imaging.
I thought the relative placement of speakers are important for sound-stage and imaging. I hoped, once i fix say the position of FL or FR speaker using REW, i should position the other speaker for Imaging and sound-stage. I am trying to emulate " Sumiko Master speaker setup".

Thanks!
post #16008 of 16017 Old Today, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBK View Post
I've been hunting and I can't find any way to solve this as of yet. The pops and buzzes are definitely caused by sound flower (they go away when I choose default output), but no versions of sound flower I've found (1.6.6, 1.6.7, 2.02b) solve the problem. I've not found any other application capable of routing sound to a specific HDMI channel.

The only option I've found is Fuzzmeasure, which looks great but I'm not eager to put another $100 into measurements at this stage.

Anyone got ideas?
I haven't had a chance to test this, but I wonder if the MIDI interface will let you select specific speakers when connected to HDMI?

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #16009 of 16017 Old Today, 07:50 AM
MBK

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
I haven't had a chance to test this, but I wonder if the MIDI interface will let you select specific speakers when connected to HDMI?
It seems the only way to get access to the multi-channel out is through selecting Soundflower as the output device (and getting the crazy pops and buzzes). If I could get to multi-output through the default output I could probably mess with the assignment in the MIDI interface.
post #16010 of 16017 Old Today, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 17
As a beginner, I would like to know what equipment I need to get to use REW - versus finding out I need to get something after I start trying to use it.

If I get a UMIK-1, what else do I need? I am thinking I would need a long, male-female, USB cable, and probably a long, auxiliary male input to a L and R RCA output cable.

Would that be all? Anything else usually needed?
post #16011 of 16017 Old Today, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
As a beginner, I would like to know what equipment I need to get to use REW - versus finding out I need to get something after I start trying to use it.

If I get a UMIK-1, what else do I need? I am thinking I would need a long, male-female, USB cable, and probably a long, auxiliary male input to a L and R RCA output cable.

Would that be all? Anything else usually needed?
The requirements are specified in the beginning of the Guide, which is linked in my sig.
post #16012 of 16017 Old Today, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 549
The mic comes with a cable (mini-USB to USB). You should get a boom mic stand if you do not have one. You'll need a way to drive your AVR from your PC for the test tones, which is probably a 1/8" stereo plug to RCA split outs on a long cord. If you download the REW manual it walks you through what you need.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #16013 of 16017 Unread Today, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Austin,

So I've got test tones playing now from the AVR. Not sure exactly what the issue was. I turned Audyssey back on, then off and was able to play test tones. Then I turned it back on and was still able to play test tones from all speakers. Does it matter if Audyssey is left on or off going forward? I believe I read it should be off when performing all mic work.

Going back to that step 4a, it says when playing test tones from the AVR that the SPL meter should read approximately 75db. What I'm confused about is that it doesn't say (that I can see) what the master volume on the AVR should be, so of course the SPL meter could read essentially anything depending on that setting. I have to crank the AVR up to about 10db off of reference to get 75db readings, give or take.

I'm still evidently not getting any communication between my laptop and AVR via HDMI cable as I'm not able to hear pink noise for example when played from REW. I'd like to troubleshoot this HDMI issue rather than using the other method since there's no reason it shouldn't be able to work...
post #16014 of 16017 Unread Today, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 40
IIRC the guide does mention the analog (RCA) connection method - but if you have a PC with a HDMI (or display port with HDMI adapter) output available that might be better than the analog connection for this particular thread.
post #16015 of 16017 Unread Today, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post
IIRC the guide does mention the analog (RCA) connection method - but if you have a PC with a HDMI (or display port with HDMI adapter) output available that might be better than the analog connection for this particular thread.
Yes, which I do. I'm sure there's a silly setting or something I'm missing somewhere to get communication between my laptop and AVR via HDMI.
post #16016 of 16017 Unread Today, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Let me know exactly what details you are looking for. I'm running my HDMI from my laptop to the AUX input on the front of my Denon X2000 and then changing the input on the AVR to AUX. What other info would be helpful?
Does your avr have analogue and digital aux inputs so you have to assign aux to digital?

Can you show a screenshot of your asio4all configuration? and your windows audio device configuration? Stereodude showed an example of the latter.
post #16017 of 16017 Unread Today, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Austin,

So I've got test tones playing now from the AVR. Not sure exactly what the issue was. I turned Audyssey back on, then off and was able to play test tones. Then I turned it back on and was still able to play test tones from all speakers. Does it matter if Audyssey is left on or off going forward? I believe I read it should be off when performing all mic work.

Going back to that step 4a, it says when playing test tones from the AVR that the SPL meter should read approximately 75db. What I'm confused about is that it doesn't say (that I can see) what the master volume on the AVR should be, so of course the SPL meter could read essentially anything depending on that setting. I have to crank the AVR up to about 10db off of reference to get 75db readings, give or take.

I'm still evidently not getting any communication between my laptop and AVR via HDMI cable as I'm not able to hear pink noise for example when played from REW. I'd like to troubleshoot this HDMI issue rather than using the other method since there's no reason it shouldn't be able to work...
When I wrote that section of the guide, I was using a Denon AVR (either the 4311 or the 4520). On both of those models, the test tones play with MV=0 (no user control to change this). So, if your test tone levels change when you adjust the MV, then set the MV to zero, and the output levels should be 75dB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page