Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 547 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #16381 of 16381 Unread Today, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
As the author of most of the guide, I am pretty sure that it states clearly that for general room response measurements, the mic should be pointed at the ceiling, and that the 90-degree calibration file should be used. This is no different from, for example, the Audyssey calibration mic, which is also pointed at the ceiling.

If you want a rationale, head on over to the Home Theater Shack REW forum and pose your question to John M., the author of REW. And while you are over there, you can read the REW help files that John authored, and you will see that the instructions are to point the mic at the ceiling.

If you are particularly industrious, there is a handy tool called Internet search. Enter the search term "Why point the mic towards the ceiling?" and you will get several links in which various rationales are discussed. One that was particularly useful for me was from, from which I learned a new term "diffuse field mic". Perhaps you will find it informative as well.

I guess my earlier tone deserves this somewhat condescending response, so fair enough. My apologies for getting off on the wrong foot here.

Thanks for the effort you've invested in the guide. As a Mac user with a recent UMIK1 it takes a bit of parsing to determine just what's relevant, but the section on measurements is very helpful. However, I don't agree that mic orientation is all that clear. On page 63 of the guide where you start getting into measurements, it doesn't say anything about orientation but I did find a couple of references to orientation and 90-deg cal files when searching though which led me here because it made no sense (to my mind) to point the mic at the ceiling. It might be good to have a section on mic placement and orientation and discuss the merits of different types of mic orientations for different types of measurements.

Having followed your advice, doing some investigating on my own, including the gear sluts forum, the REW forum, and general searching it seems clear to me now that there are situations where pointing it at the ceiling make sense, pointing it at the speaker being measured makes sense, or pointing generally towards the front of the room also make sense. And there are situations, such as with low frequencies, where it doesn't even matter how it's oriented.

Anyway, thanks again for the great guide. And sorry for getting off on the wrong foot.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page