Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 568 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1468Likes

Old 11-23-2015, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
beta installers can be found -> http://roomeqwizard.com/installers/

Thanks

Still having set up issues with Windows 10.

Will post some images tomorrow hopefully someone will be able to point me the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2015, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 5204 Post(s)
Liked: 2954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil1975m View Post
Hi guys I'm having the same issues regarding Windows 10 and ASIO.
Is the REW 5.14 beta available to download I can't seem to find it?

Post 17001 has a link to the latest beta.
Phil1975m likes this.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil1975m View Post
Hi guys I'm having the same issues regarding Windows 10 and ASIO.
Is the REW 5.14 beta available to download I can't seem to find it?

Hey man, Bookmark this link below. i keep it right on top of my toolbar so i can just click and see what new beta they have up.

http://roomeqwizard.com/installers/

Receiver - Sony STR-DH550
Fronts - Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-280F
Center
- Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-450C
Surrounds - Don't ask lol
Sub - Rythmik FV15HP
Old 11-24-2015, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Hi

Could you please point me to the location where I can find how to use REW for subwoofer crawl? Thanks.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Hi

Could you please point me to the location where I can find how to use REW for subwoofer crawl? Thanks.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 3914 Post(s)
Liked: 2629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Hi

Basically, you place the subwoofer at the MLP and place the mic at potential sub locations and measure the response. Alternately, you can put the mic at the MLP and move the sub around and measure.
Roudan likes this.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
I have a high-backed sofa and both chairs recline, exposing more wall. Should I take measurements with the couch reclined or upright?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadamir View Post
I have a high-backed sofa and both chairs recline, exposing more wall. Should I take measurements with the couch reclined or upright?
With the tip of the mic exactly at ear height, the mic should have an unobstructed view of all speakers. If it doesn't, that would mean your ears don't have an unobstructed view of all speakers either, which would represent a serious degradation of audio quality.

Also, you should determine the "ear height" by measuring when the seats are either upright, or reclined, whichever is the more likely position when you do most of your listening. In my case, the seat is reclined when I do my measurements, or when I run automated room calibration.

Does this answer the question?
Old 11-24-2015, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Hi

You could use the generator button in the REW toolbar to generate pink noise (I think), then use the RTA button and hit record so it will start showing you what it reads. You can then move the mic around the room to see where the response in the RTA is flattest.
Roudan likes this.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
With the tip of the mic exactly at ear height, the mic should have an unobstructed view of all speakers. If it doesn't, that would mean your ears don't have an unobstructed view of all speakers either, which would represent a serious degradation of audio quality.

Also, you should determine the "ear height" by measuring when the seats are either upright, or reclined, whichever is the more likely position when you do most of your listening. In my case, the seat is reclined when I do my measurements, or when I run automated room calibration.

Does this answer the question?
Thanks. Do I then put the microphone stand on the seat?

What I am trying to do right now is identify the frequency that seems to be energizing my couch for vocals. It may be the source, but it gets worse at loud volumes. I guess you could call it chesty. It makes certain voices sound like when men do a marilyn monroe impression singing happy birthday mr president. e.g.
Spoiler!
(Semi-nsfw from Wayne's world. He's in his underwear). It's not that exact frequency but then it ends up making the couch vibrate. It may be ringing though. Not really sure. It happens with both male and female voices. Does that make any sense?

Last edited by chadamir; 11-24-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks. Do I then put the microphone stand on the seat?

What I am trying to do right now is identify the frequency that seems to be energizing my couch for vocals. It may be the source, but it gets worse at loud volumes. I guess you could call it chesty. It makes certain voices sound like when men do a marilyn monroe impression singing happy birthday mr president. e.g. (Semi-nsfw from Wayne's world. He's in his underwear). It's not that exact frequency but then it ends up making the couch vibrate. It may be ringing though. Not really sure. It happens with both male and female voices. Does that make any sense?
When you say microphone stand, what are you referring to, the tiny little stand that comes with the mic? That will not work well. Typically, a boom mic stand is used. An Internet search will show you a number of choices for as little as $20-$30. A camera tripod could work as well, if you have one, but is more difficult to properly place the mic.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
When you say microphone stand, what are you referring to, the tiny little stand that comes with the mic? That will not work well. Typically, a boom mic stand is used. An Internet search will show you a number of choices for as little as $20-$30. A camera tripod could work as well, if you have one, but is more difficult to properly place the mic.
Boom mic stand. I guess I just put it on the floor and extend the mic over.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1699 Post(s)
Liked: 497
I use the UMIK-1 supplied mic stand, but since my MLP is on the bed and only about 1/2ft from the mattress (ear height), it works for me...

however, the mic doesn't face perfectly at the ceiling, might be a bit forward (due to stand design and incline on adjustable bed)

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Samsung UN46EH6030; Yamaha HTR-3066, SVS Prime Bookshelf Mains and Prime Center, Rythmik LV12R; PS4, Xbox One, Motorola RNG150N
Old 11-24-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Boom mic stand. I guess I just put it on the floor and extend the mic over.
Correct. Tip of the mic at ear height, pointed towards the ceiling. Try and keep the mic at least 12" from other surfaces (cushions, seat backs, walls, etc.)
ahblaza likes this.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 184
I am "slightly" confused about REW setup. I have Behringer ECM8000 plugged in usb interface Focusrite 2i2, however I have HDMI cable running to my Denon X5200 AVR for output.
I have loaded ECM8000 calibration file under mic/meter.
How do I calibrate SPL meter? What volume level should i put on my Denon AVR? There is a gain know on Focusrite for microphone level...how should I adjust that?
What about "check levels" under Soundcard Preferences? What really confuses me with this and abovementioned setting is that I am not sure am i getting apropriate db levels during calibration because measurements vary if i increase/decrease Denon volume and also the mic sensitivity.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
I am "slightly" confused about REW setup. I have Behringer ECM8000 plugged in usb interface Focusrite 2i2, however I have HDMI cable running to my Denon X5200 AVR for output.
I have loaded ECM8000 calibration file under mic/meter.
How do I calibrate SPL meter? What volume level should i put on my Denon AVR? There is a gain know on Focusrite for microphone level...how should I adjust that?
What about "check levels" under Soundcard Preferences? What really confuses me with this and abovementioned setting is that I am not sure am i getting apropriate db levels during calibration because measurements vary if i increase/decrease Denon volume and also the mic sensitivity.
If your microphone's calibration file did not come with a sensitivity factor, you must calibrate the SPL with a handheld SPL meter (all covered in Jerry's guide).

I can't help you with the gain setting on your USB interface.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
If your microphone's calibration file did not come with a sensitivity factor, you must calibrate the SPL with a handheld SPL meter (all covered in Jerry's guide).

I can't help you with the gain setting on your USB interface.
I have opened the calibration file, first 3 words are : Hz, dB, Phase and after that bunch of numbers.
Unfortunately I dont have a SPL meter. Will get one if there is no other solution.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I have opened the calibration file, first 3 words are : Hz, dB, Phase and after that bunch of numbers.
Unfortunately I dont have a SPL meter. Will get one if there is no other solution.
You are using a different mic and soundcard setup than is normally covered in this thread. The typical user here uses a USB mic which, when combined with a sensitivity parameter, is automatically recognized by REW and requires no calibration. The two supported mics are the miniDSP UMIK-1 and the Dayton Audio UMM-6. Your microphone does not come with a sensitivity parameter, is not directly supported by REW, and therefore requires a manual calibration. To manually calibrate, you need an external reference such as a SPL meter.

My recommendation would be to look for support for your microphone and soundcard combination over on the REW Forum in Home Theater Shack: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/

Once you have it configured and working properly, this forum is a good place to discuss measurement techniques and interpretation.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Hi

If I buy umik-1, do I need to buy external SPL meter ? My pc is windows 10 and I have a boom mic stand. Do I need to buy mic extension cable? Please advise me the tools I need to buy? I am trying to calculate the cost under my limited budget?

Thanks
Old 11-24-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Hi

If I buy umik-1, do I need to buy external SPL meter ? My pc is windows 10 and I have a boom mic stand. Do I need to buy mic extension cable? Please advise me the tools I need to buy? I am trying to calculate the cost under my limited budget?

Thanks
With the UMIK-1, and external SPL is not required. The USB cable provided with the mic is rather short, 2m I believe. I purchased a 5m USB cable, and suggest you do the same.
Roudan likes this.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

I have read in REW guide that I should set AVR in stereo mode when taking measurements but disable all signal processing. Is the only reason behind that so subwoofer is active during measurements, and if that is so, can I simply use direct mode since i dont have sub?
Old 11-25-2015, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I have read in REW guide that I should set AVR in stereo mode when taking measurements but disable all signal processing. Is the only reason behind that so subwoofer is active during measurements, and if that is so, can I simply use direct mode since i dont have sub?
In your original post, you said you were using an HDMI connection. If the HDMI connection is working properly, then the receiver should automatically switch to 7.1 mode. To check whether this is happening, on the REW Preferences screen, Soundcard tab, click on the Output Devices. Do you see HBMI 1-8 listed? If yes, your AVR should be in 7.1 mode, and you can select the desired output channel directly.

If you don't see HDMI 1-8, then you are in two-channel mode, and setting the AVR to either stereo or direct mode is the same.

Edit: In direct mode, I don't think the subwoofer is used. So if you want to measure mains+subs (which is usually the case), then stereo mode is the appropriate selection. You can try both modes, but check to see which mode uses the sub.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 78
For whatever reason, I just don't like how Audyssey sets up my room, so I never have the eq turned on. I recently bought a USB mic and I've been playing around with it and realized just how bad my room is. 1 meter measurements for my speakers are good, but at MLP, not so much. I'd like to one day have the entire room treated, but in the meantime, I've been playing around with REW and using EqualizerAPO. If you aren't familiar with EqulizerAPO and you use a HTPC, you might want to check it out. It's an EQ with a ton of options (like infinite parametric EQ filters). You can export the EQ filters from REW into a text file and import them into EQAPO for each individual speaker.

I've tried to find my answer by searching the 17k posts on this thread, but still can't find any help. If someone knows it exists, just let me know and I'll keep digging. What's are the best settings for the EQ in REW for full range? I've used it for my subs and plug those numbers into the iNuke, but for full range it's trickier to me. I'm not sure if I should just shoot for a straight up flat response from 80Hz-20kHz. I know it's all personal preference, but I was just wondering if anyone had experience in making the target level in the EQ more curvy than just flat.

I attached some pics to illustrate an example. One image shows the FR at 1 meter for my left surround speaker, another shows the same speaker at MLP, another shows the predicted curve after about 20 filters added, then I show the actual and predicted on the same image.

Does anyone have any experience with full range EQ on REW? (how should i limit my individual boost, overall boost, etc.)

-JD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left surround 1 meter.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1079530   Click image for larger version

Name:	left suround at mlp.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1079538   Click image for larger version

Name:	left surround predicted at mlp.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1079546   Click image for larger version

Name:	left surround actual and predicted at mlp.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1079554  
Old 11-25-2015, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^

Most people prefer a gently sloping response; i.e. +10db at 20hz to -10db at 15khz.

I have no experience with EQ'ing full range, but I can tell you that that ~10db boost you are proposing at 200hz is probably a bad idea. It will eat up a ton of watts...and if it is a null, you will be pouring watts into a black hole.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Most people prefer a gently sloping response; i.e. +10db at 20hz to -10db at 15khz.
not sure I'd call a 20dB delta a gentle slope!
ahblaza likes this.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
not sure I'd call a 20dB delta a gentle slope!
Yeah, I don't really know what I'm talking about.

What is a more appropriate "delta" (learned a new word today!)?
ahblaza likes this.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
^^^

I have no experience with EQ'ing full range, but I can tell you that that ~10db boost you are proposing at 200hz is probably a bad idea. It will eat up a ton of watts...and if it is a null, you will be pouring watts into a black hole.
Thanks for the tip. So as a general rule, in the filters, should I only reduce the levels instead of increasing watts? (set my individual and overall max boost to 0) Or should I simply remove the boost at 200Hz like in the predicted graph attached?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Left Surround Actual and Predicted without 200Hz Boost.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	1079594  
Old 11-25-2015, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I would figure out what the cause of that dip is and address it.

Speaker position or MLP location is where I would start. A 12-13db dip that wide at 200hz is going to effect the sound of your system tremendously. However, we are talking about a single surround speaker here...what do the measurements of your mains/CC look like??
Old 11-25-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I would figure out what the cause of that dip is and address it.

Speaker position or MLP location is where I would start. A 12-13db dip that wide at 200hz is going to effect the sound of your system tremendously. However, we are talking about a single surround speaker here...what do the measurements of your mains/CC look like??
I agree with you, but I'm limited at this point in what I can do to treat the room acoustically. I have some panels, but I definitely need more. I just want to try to EQ so that it'll sound a little better. Here are my LCR curves from the MLP.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lcr.jpg
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	1079626   Click image for larger version

Name:	left.jpg
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	1079634   Click image for larger version

Name:	right.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	1079642   Click image for larger version

Name:	center.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	1079650  
Old 11-25-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Yeah, I don't really know what I'm talking about.

What is a more appropriate "delta" (learned a new word today!)?
I would say ~6-10dB could reasonably called a fairly gentle slope, a random link to illustrate a few fairly typical curves - https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpre...on-plots-2.png
Alan P and Soulburner like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew