Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 590 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1066Likes

post #17671 of 17680 Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2816 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post
Every time I've added more absorption I've had gains in sound quality. Doesn't make things sound dead at all. If anything makes things sound real, as in scarily life-like.
Amen to that. Stereo (or multichannel) is essentially made in (and therefore for) very dry (and even near-anechoic) environments. While it's true that spaciousness and envelopment is caused by reflections, these reflections should come from the recording, not the room. This is where the 'wide dispersion loudspeaker' and 'room reflections are good' theory falls flat on its face.
etc6849 and ahblaza like this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17672 of 17680 Old Today, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I added the 8" OC 703 side panels and fixed the impulse peaks too.

For some reason when I added the side panels it messed up the waterfall. Could be because the side panels are just setting on top of the bass traps and must be wobbling at certain low frequencies.

This is very interesting, I've never had my waterfall plot look worse after adding absorption! I even rerun Dirac, and same results. Going to eliminate air gap behind panel tonight as that should stiffen it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
The frequency response graphs and the waterfalls are indeed impressive. The left channel ETC is showing a peculiar reflection towards the middle of the graph. Any idea what that is? Otherwise, the ETC's look nice as well. Great job!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Impulse AFTER.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	1243713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left impulse BEFORE.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	1243721   Click image for larger version

Name:	impulse fixes.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	1243729   Click image for larger version

Name:	LF waterfall BEFORE.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	1243753   Click image for larger version

Name:	LF waterfall AFTER.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	1243761  

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
post #17673 of 17680 Old Today, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2816 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Might just be LF noise. Alway good to run each measurement a couple of times and verify that the results are constant over time. I always do at least two consecutive measurements.
etc6849 likes this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #17674 of 17680 Old Today, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 81
It could be, but I did 10 measurements (was trying to fix impulse plot at the same time). I will make sure all ventilation is off and retry before moving panels against wall.

EDIT: I think I remember tucking the mic's USB cord into the chair. Now that could really be messing up my measurements! Thanks a bunch for jogging my memory. Tucking the cord in between the chair back and arm was really stupid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Might just be LF noise. Alway good to run each measurement a couple of times and verify that the results are constant over time. I always do at least two consecutive measurements.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.

Last edited by etc6849; Today at 09:29 AM.
post #17675 of 17680 Old Today, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RISC_Taker View Post
Just a quick note on customer service from the UMIK-1 folks.

I received my microphone order on 12/28, started setting up everything in earnest on 12/29. When I went to the site to download the configuration file for the microphone, I could not enter the number from the label. The label had been smudged at some point, and the first number in the sequence had been rubbed off. Tried a UPC code reader but the curvature of the mic could not be read by my phone.

I emailed their support, gave them my order number and explained the issue I was having. Less than a day later I had a response that solved the problem.

Very helpful, very responsive.

Now if only I could get the HDMI connection from laptop to receiver to be 5.1 as it used to be, prior to Win10 instead of 2.0 stereo....

I'll figure that one out though, lots of info on that via google.

Interesting, was this directly from miniDSP ? I have the exact same problem with the number being smudged off. And I have also tried a code reader before even reading this post, but the curvature was in the way.

Difference is I emailed them on Saturday this past weekend (with my order number), but I am still waiting to hear from them. I got an email from support@minidsp.desk-mail.com as confirmation there is a case opened, but no follow up / resolution yet.

I guess if I don't hear by Saturday, I'll send them another email.

I used the link from the Web site - Support / Contact US, did you maybe use another email address ?

How did you solve the problem, were they able to give you the correct serial / calibration files, or in some other way ?
post #17676 of 17680 Old Today, 02:13 PM

I have not read yet through all the 590 pages (I will by end of this week, I promise ! ), so not sure if this yet been posted.

Many have problems with ASIO detecting their UMIK-1 device (as in Idle / Not active) in the ASIO control panel.

When I tried to use REW / ASIO for the first time, I tried to use HDMI from PC to my AVR , and UMIK-1.

My Playback devices were configured to use all 7 speakers (L,C,R, 2xSR, 2xSB).

I got the same problem with my UMIK not being detected as active by ASIO. I tried the workarounds in the "Getting started with REW guide" but interestingly as soon as my UMIK would become active, my HDMI output would go idle, if I was able to get my HDMI audio output active, my UMIK would go idle, no matter what I did.

I was able to finally resolve this when I tried going to Windows Playback devices, clicking on Configure, going to Speaker Setup, and starting to remove speakers to be used (starting from the surround back, and trying again, then removed surround rear and tried again, at some point .. maybe when I was left with L/R only, all of a sudden it worked .. I then went back and started re-enabling speakers in the reverse order and it still worked.

So now I have all speakers enabled, and restarted my PC / REW several times, but have no issues at all. Full HDMI output and UMIK active and working.

Anyway, just wanted to post this as maybe another type of a workaround people can try if having problems. I have no idea whether it will work for everyone though
post #17677 of 17680 Old Today, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alextr75 View Post
Interesting, was this directly from miniDSP ? I have the exact same problem with the number being smudged off. And I have also tried a code reader before even reading this post, but the curvature was in the way.

Difference is I emailed them on Saturday this past weekend (with my order number), but I am still waiting to hear from them. I got an email from support@minidsp.desk-mail.com as confirmation there is a case opened, but no follow up / resolution yet.

I guess if I don't hear by Saturday, I'll send them another email.

I used the link from the Web site - Support / Contact US, did you maybe use another email address ?

How did you solve the problem, were they able to give you the correct serial / calibration files, or in some other way ?
I sent an email to support@minidsp.desk-mail.com, and they replied with the number I needed, which allowed me to download the calibration file I needed.

I included the Amazon order number and two pics of the smudged number

Hope you hear from them soon!

RT

Sharp AQUOS LC60E88UN
Pioneer VSX-1120-K Receiver 7.1
2 Klipsch RF-3IIs
4 Klipsch RS3s
1 Klipsch center RC-3II
Soon HSU VTF-2 MK4

Last edited by RISC_Taker; Today at 03:55 PM. Reason: Added info to reply.
post #17678 of 17680 Old Today, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISC_Taker View Post
I sent an email to support@minidsp.desk-mail.com, and they replied with the number I needed, which allowed me to download the calibration file I needed.

I included the Amazon order number and two pics of the smudged number

Hope you hear from them soon!

RT
I see, thanks. Yep that is the same email address I got the support ticket confirmation email from after I used their web site to create the ticket.
I just replied to the same email asking if there is any progress and explaining the issue again.

I too sent two pictures of the smudged serial number. Only difference I guess is I ordered straight from miniDSP web site where you went through Amazon. That should hopefully not change much in how they respond to their customers.

I hope they are just too busy these days, and will get a response soon.
post #17679 of 17680 Old Today, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alextr75 View Post
I hope they are just too busy these days, and will get a response soon.
They are based in Hong Kong, and mon-wed were Chinese new year holidays in Hong Kong. Businesses will open on Thursday, so my guess is you will hear back soon now
post #17680 of 17680 Old Today, 07:24 PM

You were right, I just got an email they are back from the holidays and with the serial number they have on records. It's the same one I tried to guess it is, so my measurements so far were all correct.

Good support though, nevertheless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew