Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 591 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1067Likes

post #17701 of 17703 Old Today, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Awesome improvement. My bad on the waterfall...was looking at where the vertical access was set to about 97dB, so was figuring it was about a 35dB span....but now i see it was more/less around 99dB so close enough!

I'm sure those treatments have made a much more audible improvement than many would believe w/o doing it themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17702 of 17703 Old Today, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
To be honest, I don't see a significant difference between the green and dark blue waterfalls. The EQ has flattened the response curve. Nothing seems to have put a dent into the issue at ~50Hz.

Can you describe the treatments you added?
Jerry,

I should have been clearer. Just started with treatments. I'm sure I'll be adding more now. I wasn't really sure what it would look like in my room and what effect it would have to my ears(anyway). So what I added was I got the Gik Room Kit#1(plus a couple of extra Monster Bass Traps):

(3) 242 Acoustic Panels - These two are placed in the second reflection zone and one behind the center channel(I'm experimenting, I didn't know what to do with the last one).

(4) 244 Bass Traps with FlexRange Technology - Two are place in the first reflection zone and two are kiddie cornered behind the front main channels in the corners.

(3) Monster Bass Trap with FlexRange Technology(range limiters) - These three are between the rear surrounds on the back wall.

Some of this advice came from Gik, some was my playing around. I was told by Gik to get a couple of Soffits for the front corners and I plan to. I just started with this to see the effects. I also am trying to work around the rooms looks and problems. The room is prewired and the audio cable for the front L and R are in the corners blocking perfect placement of the Soffit Bass Traps from floor to ceiling.

I am sure I will be adding and changing more
post #17703 of 17703 Old Today, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 81
If anyone lives near Columbia, SC, feel free to PM your phone number if you want a jaw dropping demo.

For the low freq extension the Emotiva Dirac Full version I use will do strange stuff to me like short me a few Hz sometimes! The only difference this time was that I had the subs in always on mode before running Dirac. I will always do that for now one.

You can bet that very few have ever heard a system like my "little" Klipsch setup with the JL F212's! Too many on AVS (outside of this forum obviously) seem to go after SPL and not room acoustics. It is really crazy how folks will chase their tail by sub and speaker upgrade after upgrade without fixing the real problems. Anyways, chasing my tail is how I ended up with my beloved Klipsch Palladium setup (so not all bad and can be fun too), but I have to wonder that my problems with the previous 3 setups I went through was ALL due to acoustics!

Then the other third on the forums want to use inferior and outdated technology like records that will never have the dynamic range of what a well mastered CD can provide and tube amps that can add distortion. Then you got dealers who seem legit, but then try to sell you magical speaker cables and power cords (instead of room treatments which are much cheaper).

Quote:
Originally Posted by audnutz View Post
Awesome improvement. My bad on the waterfall...was looking at where the vertical access was set to about 97dB, so was figuring it was about a 35dB span....but now i see it was more/less around 99dB so close enough!

I'm sure those treatments have made a much more audible improvement than many would believe w/o doing it themselves.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew