Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 649 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1715Likes

Old 08-02-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Created this diagram real quick for confirmation. This is how I should have my setup during miniDSP 2x4 HD setup?

Nice diagrams! When you are done configuring miniDSP it will need USB power to operate. A USB phone charger should do the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2016, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by indus1 View Post
Hi

So I've taken the following measurements

1) Sub taken through centre channel

2) Left+ sub measurement with right channel as TR

3) Right + sub measurement with left as TR

4) Sub + centre with left as TR

5) Left on its own with right as TR (ie no sub)

6) Right on its own with left as TR (ie no sub)

The files are in the order as described above.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jcv8kgeg1...2-08.mdat?dl=0

I thought I'd get feedback on these measurements before I try anything else.

Thanks
you need to keep the reference channel constant otherwise it's not a reference & you want the full set for each channel (main channel alone, sub alone, combined)
Old 08-02-2016, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
you need to keep the reference channel constant otherwise it's not a reference & you want the full set for each channel (main channel alone, sub alone, combined)

Does that mean if you use Left as reference you still use it when measuring the Left channel?

Thanks

Old 08-02-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Can anyone give me the elevator speech on what Timing Reference is and what it does, I believe I've had mine off during my sweeps.

My Current "Living Room" Home Theater!
Plasma 50" TV: Samsung PN50C8000 — DLP Projector: Optoma GT1080
Projector Screen: Elite VMAX2 Electric — Receiver:Pioneer Elite VSX-44 — Fronts: B&W 684 S1
Center: B&W CM Center S2 — Surrounds: B&W 685 S1 — Subwoofer: Rythmik FV15HP
Rear Surrounds: Polk Audio T15 — Front Heights: Polk Audio T15
Old 08-02-2016, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does that mean if you use Left as reference you still use it when measuring the Left channel?

Thanks
I don't recall if it lets you do that & ISTR to a discussion on this in the past but I don't remember the outcome except that I argued that using the same channel as reference was implicitly the same as placing the peak at T=0

anyway the key point is that measurements you want to compare must have the same reference, i.e. if you are measuring {L, SW, L+SW} then use the same reference for each of those measurements (e.g. use the C as your reference).
Old 08-02-2016, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can anyone give me the elevator speech on what Timing Reference is and what it does, I believe I've had mine off during my sweeps.
a timing reference gives you an accurate phase response which then lets you use trace arithmetic to add measurements together. For example, say you had 3 subs and had measurements that were taken with a timing reference, you can now adjust the timing of each measurement in REW, add them together and get an accurate measurement of what the response would have been if you had actually applied the delay and measured the result.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
I don't recall if it lets you do that & ISTR to a discussion on this in the past but I don't remember the outcome except that I argued that using the same channel as reference was implicitly the same as placing the peak at T=0

anyway the key point is that measurements you want to compare must have the same reference, i.e. if you are measuring {L, SW, L+SW} then use the same reference for each of those measurements (e.g. use the C as your reference).

I'm confused I'm afraid.

I think I have done what you've said in the last paragraph.

For all Right channel measures I've taken Left as TR

For all Left channel measures I've taken Right as TR

For all Centre channel measures I've taken Left as TR
Old 08-02-2016, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm confused I'm afraid.

I think I have done what you've said in the last paragraph.

For all Right channel measures I've taken Left as TR

For all Left channel measures I've taken Right as TR

For all Centre channel measures I've taken Left as TR
the main issue is that you didn't have a full set of measurements for each channel, if you can also use a common timing reference across all measurements then bonus
Old 08-02-2016, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4697 Post(s)
Liked: 3324
Quote:
Is a peak what is considered bright?
A peak in the higher frequencies (roughly 2000hz-16,000hz) could indeed cause brightness. Brightness is an overabundance of treble, causing the speakers to sound "harsh".
Old 08-02-2016, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
Quote:
Created this diagram real quick for confirmation. This is how I should have my setup during miniDSP 2x4 HD setup?

Nice diagrams! When you are done configuring miniDSP it will need USB power to operate. A USB phone charger should do the trick.
I think the HD comes with a power supply.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Sorry Michael, but I have to disagree.

It has been discussed and proven many times in the Audyssey thread that reflective leather (or vinyl) couches can be very detrimental to a calibration. Reflections from the couch can really screw up your cal...many people reporting a "too bright" result afterwards, but after covering the couch, "just right" results.

There's even mention of it in the FAQ:

Why are my high frequencies 'bright' or 'harsh' since running Audyssey?
Any chance of this on my sleep number mattress? It's basically an air chamber surrounded by plenty of padding all around.

I typically place the YPAO mic on top of the pillow(s). And the UMIK-1 just on the mattress with the supplied mini tripod stand.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4697 Post(s)
Liked: 3324
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Any chance of this on my sleep number mattress? It's basically an air chamber surrounded by plenty of padding all around.

I typically place the YPAO mic on top of the pillow(s). And the UMIK-1 just on the mattress with the supplied mini tripod stand.
Not sure if you are serious here...but I would emphatically say "no".

Now, the opposite may be true in your case...too much absorption (if there is such a thing).
Old 08-02-2016, 04:00 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 6517 Post(s)
Liked: 3613
Quote:
Just purchased an open, but new, miniDSP 2x4 HD from a forum member. Hoping to flatten my bass response a bit with it. Can anyone tell me what I might need? I think just another LFE cable? Any recommendations on a good one to buy?
Take a look at Section 8 in the MiniDSP 2x4 guide linked in my sig. It goes through a step-by-step procedure for using REW to generate PEQ filters for loading into the 2x4. You might find this useful.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Take a look at Section 8 in the MiniDSP 2x4 guide linked in my sig. It goes through a step-by-step procedure for using REW to generate PEQ filters for loading into the 2x4. You might find this useful.

Thanks! I will.

Projector Screen: Elite VMAX2 Electric — Receiver:Pioneer Elite VSX-44 — Fronts: B&W 684 S1
Old 08-02-2016, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ran MCACC again with the leather couches covered and with surround backs instead of front heights. Then ran REW with sub+center, using front right as timing reference. No change at all in the results. MiniDSP 2x4 HD will hopefully help out here.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:20 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Ran MCACC again with the leather couches covered and with surround backs instead of front heights. Then ran REW with sub+center, using front right as timing reference. No change at all in the results. MiniDSP 2x4 HD will hopefully help out here.
While if firmly believe in covering reflective surfaces like leather chairs, I doubt whether the covers would produce enough of a change that it would show in the REW measurements. Follow the instructions I referenced to create PEQ filters for the 2x4 and then re-measure.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah once the 2x4 HD comes I'll be doing that.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Was just reading through the guide ahead of the 2x4 HD coming to familiarize myself with the process - looks simple enough. Just wanted to clarify one thing (seems obvious, but still). Step 3 of section 8 says to choose miniDSP under the equalizer menu. I also have an option for miniDSP 2x4 HD. I'm assuming I should choose this instead? All other steps still the same then?

Old 08-03-2016, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I need some troubleshooting help with REW/ASIO/Windows output settings. I've completely read AustinJerry's setup guide (Thank you so much for this!) and I'm so close to getting up and running but having an issue with being able to get REW to output any sound to the speakers. The Umik is active and it seems to be working as it's showing noise from the room in graphical format, but there is absolutely no sound coming out of my speakers. I was able to get some sound to come out of the laptop speakers by switching to that output, I then disabled it so the only option was the receiver and still got no output.

Equipment: Dell Latitude laptop with HDMI (8 output channels), Pioneer SC-95, CSL Umik-1, HDMI cable running to front port on receiver, 5.2 speaker setup.

I've re-read the windows setup (I'm using windows 7) about 50 times and re-checked everything and all seems to be ok. When setting up the speaker configuration from the windows menu I can play the test tones and hear output through the all 5 speakers except the sub. For some reason I can't get any sound to come out of the sub from that menu no matter what I try (turned subs to on vs auto and still nothing, they're connected through LFE input to receiver). The sub plays when I turn Spotify on and run the sound to the receiver that way though so It should be working but maybe I'm wrong.

I think the issue is that ASIO isn't picking up the HDMI source even though it's set to default on windows because the only options I have are "HPOut1" and "HPOut2", there was also an option for the intel soundcard which plays through the computer speakers. I've unplugged and replugged in the HDMI multiple times, can get sound to go through using any other program on the computer to the receiver, but nothing out of REW/ASIO. There does seem to be a slight delay in when the sound plays through the HDMI though, ex the test tone takes 3 seconds to play after hitting the button.

Throughout my numerous attempts to get the HDMI working and using the "Check Levels" button I also got the error message in the attached picture saying "Reset Request from the driver Inputs and outputs may need to be re-selected". Usually just closing REW and re-opening and then re-selecting everything made that go away, but still no sound.

Also tried just doing a measurement sweep rather than the "Check Levels" and the mic picked up background noise but no output from the speakers.

Any ideas or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	output.PNG
Views:	32
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1581865   Click image for larger version

Name:	error.PNG
Views:	35
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	1581873  

My setup: Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 and center, Ascend HTM200SE surround, dual Rythmik L12's, Pioneer SC-95, Samsung PN60F8500
Old 08-03-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm sure you have, but just to check, you've set the receiver to the input the HDMI is plugged into right? Then launch REW.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmlamb View Post
I think the issue is that ASIO isn't picking up the HDMI source even though it's set to default on windows because the only options I have are "HPOut1" and "HPOut2", there was also an option for the intel soundcard which plays through the computer speakers. I've unplugged and replugged in the HDMI multiple times, can get sound to go through using any other program on the computer to the receiver, but nothing out of REW/ASIO.
With my REW setup, I see something similar and I frequently have to start REW a second time in order to see the individual hdmi channels listed under Output. So my startup procedure is something like this:

1. Plug in the hdmi cable and usb mic (umik-1).
2. Start REW, look at preferences and see no hdmi channels listed.
3. Close and restart REW. Then I usually see the hdmi channels listed.

I'm not sure if yours will be the same, although it is interesting that I'm also using an HP laptop (an old one), but it may be worth a try.
brianmlamb likes this.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm sure you have, but just to check, you've set the receiver to the input the HDMI is plugged into right? Then launch REW.
I ran into that issue once, but did switch it to HDMI5 which matches up to the input. I can get sounds to play through the receiver out of every other program except REW for some reason. I'll try it again anyway when I get home tonight if for some reason I hadn't switched the input before launching REW, I did a few re-launches though on HDMI5 but I'll try anything again at this point. Thanks

My setup: Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 and center, Ascend HTM200SE surround, dual Rythmik L12's, Pioneer SC-95, Samsung PN60F8500
Old 08-03-2016, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmlamb View Post
I ran into that issue once, but did switch it to HDMI5 which matches up to the input. I can get sounds to play through the receiver out of every other program except REW for some reason. I'll try it again anyway when I get home tonight if for some reason I hadn't switched the input before launching REW, I did a few re-launches though on HDMI5 but I'll try anything again at this point. Thanks
I also had to uninstall and re-install the audio drivers the first time I tried running REW. If you need instructions on how to do this, as a last resort - let me know.
brianmlamb likes this.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:28 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Was just reading through the guide ahead of the 2x4 HD coming to familiarize myself with the process - looks simple enough. Just wanted to clarify one thing (seems obvious, but still). Step 3 of section 8 says to choose miniDSP under the equalizer menu. I also have an option for miniDSP 2x4 HD. I'm assuming I should choose this instead? All other steps still the same then?
Yes, that sounds right. The HD was not released when I wrote the guide. If you encounter any differences in the procedure that are applicable to the HD, please PM me with the details for a possible guide update.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundation42 View Post
With my REW setup, I see something similar and I frequently have to start REW a second time in order to see the individual hdmi channels listed under Output. So my startup procedure is something like this:

1. Plug in the hdmi cable and usb mic (umik-1).
2. Start REW, look at preferences and see no hdmi channels listed.
3. Close and restart REW. Then I usually see the hdmi channels listed.

I'm not sure if yours will be the same, although it is interesting that I'm also using an HP laptop (an old one), but it may be worth a try.
I've restarted a few times and still only see the HP one which is even weirder considering the laptop is a dell. It's definitely some issue with my computer.

Quote:
I also had to uninstall and re-install the audio drivers the first time I tried running REW. If you need instructions on how to do this, as a last resort - let me know.
Checking the drivers as you mentioned I saw I had this "IDT high def audio" plugin, I'm wondering if this is my issues as I don't think I tried disabling it yet. I've also got another option under the dropdown for "soundblaster ASIO" pictured below which doesn't work as it says the drivers aren't there. I use a soundblaster external dac/amp for my headphones that's probably conflicting (it's not plugged in while trying to use REW though and doesn't show up on usable devices).

Thanks for the tips, I'll try again tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASIO.PNG
Views:	27
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1582041  

Old 08-03-2016, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, that sounds right. The HD was not released when I wrote the guide. If you encounter any differences in the procedure that are applicable to the HD, please PM me with the details for a possible guide update.

Will do. Any guide or suggestions on creating impulse filters? Over in the 2x4 HD thread, an early post back in march by @1201 mentioned that the 2x4 HD offers both time and magnitude based correction. The magnitude correction is what I'm assuming you're guide in section 8 addresses. The timing work seems to involve REW impulse measurements, then some software that can create (impulse?) filters, then a separate loading of these (separate from the magnitude based PEQ filters) to the 2x4 HD.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:58 AM
** Man of Leisure **

REW Guide ver 5.0 is now available

Description of the changes:

ver 5.0 August 3, 2016

A concerted attempt to update the whole Guide to reflect the considerable number of changes/enhancements that John M. has added over the last several months. (Thanks, John!). These include the Acoustic Timing Reference, the new ways to specify output channels on the Measurement screen, the addition of Sensitivity parameters in mic calibration files from Cross Spectrum Labs (Thanks, Herb S.!), and any other enhancements I am aware of. If any enhancements have been excluded, please come forward and let me know.

The updated Guide is linked in my sig.
Foundation42 likes this.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:02 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Will do. Any guide or suggestions on creating impulse filters? Over in the 2x4 HD thread, an early post back in march by @1201 mentioned that the 2x4 HD offers both time and magnitude based correction. The magnitude correction is what I'm assuming you're guide in section 8 addresses. The timing work seems to involve REW impulse measurements, then some software that can create (impulse?) filters, then a separate loading of these (separate from the magnitude based PEQ filters) to the 2x4 HD.
Unfortunately, I have no experience in this area, not having a 2x4 HD. I rely on Dirac Live for any time domain corrections, which it is very good at. So, I am unlikely to be adding a new section to the guide to cover time domain corrections. The purpose of the guide is to provide help in consolidating subs in preparation for the implementation of the MiniDSP 88A.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I think most here just do magnitude based correction (PEQ filters). And my understanding is that when you correct frequency response with well chosen PEQ filters, it fixes time domain issues like resonances at frequencies that have modal peaks.

By the way, if you post your .mdat file here showing your sub frequency response before any EQ, we can likely help you create an effective set of filters that flattens out your response.

We can also help you determine what settings to use within the REW EQ tool for best results.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I think most here just do magnitude based correction (PEQ filters). And my understanding is that when you correct frequency response with well chosen PEQ filters, it fixes time domain issues like resonances at frequencies that have modal peaks.

By the way, if you post your .mdat file here showing your sub frequency response before any EQ, we can likely help you create an effective set of filters that flattens out your response.

We can also help you determine what settings to use within the REW EQ tool for best results.
I wanted to add that with bass frequencies fixing frequency response also helps fix time domain response. With mids and highs things get more complicated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew