Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 666 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1716Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19951 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
corradizo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: near Chicago
Posts: 2,300
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
Yeah well, in ideal situations its not an issue, but in my situation for example I was thinking it would be really convenient to have a sharp cutoff. My L, C and R behave quite nice above 80 Hz, but addition of subwoofer creates a ugly dip at about 100 hz so I was thinking how convenient it would be to have sharp cutoff just around 80 Hz.
If adding your subs in creates a dip above or below your crossover point, you may want to try increasing or decreasing the subs delay to find where the sub and your cc combine constructively. The dip is likely due to cancellation.

If you'd like to fix it, here is what I would try:

Using channel 3, measure cc with subs on, cc with subs off, then subs on with cc unplugged. The first measurement should show the dip you mentioned. The second two measuremts show how your subs measure and your cc measures before they combine to give you your very first measurement of cc+subs. These measuremts correlate to whatever distance/delay setting you have set in your avr.

Now Increase/decrease your sub distance/delay by 1' measuring cc+sub each time. Once you have a bunch of measuremts, you can go to the All SPL tab and unchecked everything except the first three measurements above. Then systematically check and unchecked the incremented/decremented cc+sub measurements noting which ones a "above" your initial three measurements. If any part of a measurement dips below your original three, it can be deleted, it's not constructive. Pick the best one and set your avr to the setting in the distance/delay setting.

Alternatively you can do this with your mains of you focus more on music.
Foundation42 likes this.
corradizo is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19952 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,358
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3631 Post(s)
Liked: 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Above is using CH3 with center unplugged so that should be as close to full range as I can get. EQ is off and AVR crossover is at 200hz which is the highest available and I believe is still taken into account in measures.
Set L to large and connect to your sub for a full range measurement.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #19953 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,358
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3631 Post(s)
Liked: 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Do you know if the Yamahas have a LPF for LFE? There is no setting for it on my AVR, but I've never measured bass management with speaker unplugged because I use speaker wire without any connectors like banana plugs, so it would be a huge hassle.
Connect the sub preamp out of your AVR to your sound card and measure HDMI 4.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
 
post #19954 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,358
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3631 Post(s)
Liked: 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
I think I'm still struggling to understand the difference between LPF for LFE and Crossover. Aren't these the same thing?
No, they are not the same thing. Here's how bass management is usually implemented:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bassmanagement_done_right.gif
Views:	184
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	1601001  

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #19955 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,517
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
No, they are not the same thing. Here's how bass management is usually implemented:





Can you or someone else explain what's happening in the circled areas. I get the rest. And I get the L, C, R, Ls, Rs frequencies under 120hz (in this case) get added to what goes to the subwoofer. If that's all the right hand side LF means than just need to understand the one on the left. Thanks.

My Current "Living Room" Home Theater!
Plasma 50" TV: Samsung PN50C8000 — DLP Projector: Optoma GT1080
Projector Screen: Elite VMAX2 Electric — Receiver:Pioneer Elite VSX-44 — Fronts: B&W 684 S1
Center: B&W CM Center S2 — Surrounds: B&W 685 S1 — Subwoofer: Rythmik FV15HP
Rear Surrounds: Polk Audio T15 — Front Heights: Polk Audio T15
citsur86 is online now  
post #19956 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,517
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked: 256

My Current "Living Room" Home Theater!
Plasma 50" TV: Samsung PN50C8000 — DLP Projector: Optoma GT1080
Projector Screen: Elite VMAX2 Electric — Receiver:Pioneer Elite VSX-44 — Fronts: B&W 684 S1
Center: B&W CM Center S2 — Surrounds: B&W 685 S1 — Subwoofer: Rythmik FV15HP
Rear Surrounds: Polk Audio T15 — Front Heights: Polk Audio T15
citsur86 is online now  
post #19957 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,255
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
I think I'm still struggling to understand the difference between LPF for LFE and Crossover. Aren't these the same thing?
No, they are not the same thing. Here's how bass management is usually implemented:

Is the LPF for LFE slope usually 12dB per octave?

I know for crossovers on my Yamaha it's 24dB per octave LPF and 12dB per octave HPF (user manual specs). LPF for LFE is not in the specs, though... which is why I don't know if it even has a fixed one.
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #19958 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,255
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Do you know if the Yamahas have a LPF for LFE? There is no setting for it on my AVR, but I've never measured bass management with speaker unplugged because I use speaker wire without any connectors like banana plugs, so it would be a huge hassle.
Connect the sub preamp out of your AVR to your sound card and measure HDMI 4.
I have an 2012 HP envy dv7 something laptop running windows 10... how do I do this?
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #19959 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,255
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Above is using CH3 with center unplugged so that should be as close to full range as I can get. EQ is off and AVR crossover is at 200hz which is the highest available and I believe is still taken into account in measures.
Set L to large and connect to your sub for a full range measurement.
Does one need speaker channel pre-outs for this? Mine is speaker wire connections only.
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #19960 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,255
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Do you know if the Yamahas have a LPF for LFE? There is no setting for it on my AVR, but I've never measured bass management with speaker unplugged because I use speaker wire without any connectors like banana plugs, so it would be a huge hassle.
If you have an empty channel, just tell your receiver that you got a speaker on that one and measure it via REW. For example, if you got 5.1 system and your AVR is capable of 7.1 simply enable and measure L/R rear surround.
Well, my 5.1 channel AVR can accept 7.1 signals and it simply sends the rear surrounds audio signal to the side surrounds, albeit at a lower volume.
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #19961 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
IgorZep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 994
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
Yeah well, in ideal situations its not an issue, but in my situation for example I was thinking it would be really convenient to have a sharp cutoff. My L, C and R behave quite nice above 80 Hz, but addition of subwoofer creates a ugly dip at about 100 hz so I was thinking how convenient it would be to have sharp cutoff just around 80 Hz.
What should be demanded is not a sharper cutoff, but proper implementation of 4th order Linkwitz-Riley cutoffs. The BM of the receiver is really poorly integrated with room correction in the receivers / av-processors - a failure of pretty much the whole industry nowadays.
IgorZep is offline  
post #19962 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,517
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Does one need speaker channel pre-outs for this? Mine is speaker wire connections only.

Yeah not sure how i would get the RCA single cable into the Left speakers banana plug/twist terminal to do this. Would it really be all that different from channel 3 with CC unplugged?

My Current "Living Room" Home Theater!
Plasma 50" TV: Samsung PN50C8000 — DLP Projector: Optoma GT1080
Projector Screen: Elite VMAX2 Electric — Receiver:Pioneer Elite VSX-44 — Fronts: B&W 684 S1
Center: B&W CM Center S2 — Surrounds: B&W 685 S1 — Subwoofer: Rythmik FV15HP
Rear Surrounds: Polk Audio T15 — Front Heights: Polk Audio T15
citsur86 is online now  
post #19963 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,255
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Does one need speaker channel pre-outs for this? Mine is speaker wire connections only.

Yeah not sure how i would get the RCA single cable into the Left speakers banana plug/twist terminal to do this. Would it really be all that different from channel 3 with CC unplugged?
I'm going to try the sub pre-out to pc sound card approach... once I figure out how.

(that way I see what the AVR is doing in isolation from what the sub is doing)
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #19964 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe, Croatia
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
If adding your subs in creates a dip above or below your crossover point, you may want to try increasing or decreasing the subs delay to find where the sub and your cc combine constructively. The dip is likely due to cancellation.

If you'd like to fix it, here is what I would try:

Using channel 3, measure cc with subs on, cc with subs off, then subs on with cc unplugged. The first measurement should show the dip you mentioned. The second two measuremts show how your subs measure and your cc measures before they combine to give you your very first measurement of cc+subs. These measuremts correlate to whatever distance/delay setting you have set in your avr.

Now Increase/decrease your sub distance/delay by 1' measuring cc+sub each time. Once you have a bunch of measuremts, you can go to the All SPL tab and unchecked everything except the first three measurements above. Then systematically check and unchecked the incremented/decremented cc+sub measurements noting which ones a "above" your initial three measurements. If any part of a measurement dips below your original three, it can be deleted, it's not constructive. Pick the best one and set your avr to the setting in the distance/delay setting.

Alternatively you can do this with your mains of you focus more on music.
As I mentioned, subwoofer alone is flat up to 100 Hz and then has a dip in response. I already did a sub tweak and made overall transition much better, but that 100-105 Hz issue still persists. (crossover at 80, looks worse everywhere else)
However, regardless of that...I have to re-run Audyssey again, because last time I mistakenly ran it without reseting some subwoofer settings and that might've actually worsen the calibration. But still, that won't rid me of that dip.

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, SVS PC13-Ultra
Kef LS50, Parasound New Classic, Focusrite 2i2
donktard is online now  
post #19965 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe, Croatia
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
I'm going to try the sub pre-out to pc sound card approach... once I figure out how.

(that way I see what the AVR is doing in isolation from what the sub is doing)


This would be the usual way...RCA to Line In. If you have integrated soundcard.

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, SVS PC13-Ultra
Kef LS50, Parasound New Classic, Focusrite 2i2
donktard is online now  
post #19966 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,255
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
I'm going to try the sub pre-out to pc sound card approach... once I figure out how.

(that way I see what the AVR is doing in isolation from what the sub is doing)


This would be the usual way...RCA to Line In. If you have integrated soundcard.
Ok, but how do I get a measurement done in REW?

And any other windows configuration outside of REW needed?
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #19967 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,255
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 560
And should I be using a mono rca male to 3.5mm male? Your pic shows stereo rca male
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #19968 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe, Croatia
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
And should I be using a mono rca male to 3.5mm male? Your pic shows stereo rca male
Sub needs one cinch only, the other one you don't plug anywhere. And 3.5mm male for computer input is TRS (stereo).
Tbh, its too much hassle to go get a new cable just to measure your sub. Simply unplug any speaker anywhere from AVR if its easily accessible and do the measurement. Its a 5 minute job really.

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, SVS PC13-Ultra
Kef LS50, Parasound New Classic, Focusrite 2i2
donktard is online now  
post #19969 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe, Croatia
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Ok, but how do I get a measurement done in REW?

And any other windows configuration outside of REW needed?
Well, you aren't measuring with microphone any more but with Line In, therefore in REW preferences you should select Line In of your sound card as an input, check levels for Line In input in Sound -> Recording (in Control Panels). You basically use SPL meter in REW to set some arbitrary level, and then you measure.
Pretty similar to loopback procedure. I just took measurement of my soundcard similar way and I am wondering why the hell it has an upwards slope from 10-20kHz of 15dB

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, SVS PC13-Ultra
Kef LS50, Parasound New Classic, Focusrite 2i2
donktard is online now  
post #19970 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,517
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
Well, you aren't measuring with microphone any more but with Line In, therefore in REW preferences you should select Line In of your sound card as an input, check levels for Line In input in Sound -> Recording (in Control Panels). You basically use SPL meter in REW to set some arbitrary level, and then you measure.
Pretty similar to loopback procedure. I just took measurement of my soundcard similar way and I am wondering why the hell it has an upwards slope from 10-20kHz of 15dB


When I got my miniDSP somehow my UMIK-1 no longer showed under input device as UMIK-1 but instead just as input device and when I start REW now it says something like "assuming input 1 is UMIK-1". Any idea what this means and why it's happening?

My Current "Living Room" Home Theater!
Plasma 50" TV: Samsung PN50C8000 — DLP Projector: Optoma GT1080
Projector Screen: Elite VMAX2 Electric — Receiver:Pioneer Elite VSX-44 — Fronts: B&W 684 S1
Center: B&W CM Center S2 — Surrounds: B&W 685 S1 — Subwoofer: Rythmik FV15HP
Rear Surrounds: Polk Audio T15 — Front Heights: Polk Audio T15
citsur86 is online now  
post #19971 of 21547 Old 08-13-2016, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe, Croatia
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
When I got my miniDSP somehow my UMIK-1 no longer showed under input device as UMIK-1 but instead just as input device and when I start REW now it says something like "assuming input 1 is UMIK-1". Any idea what this means and why it's happening?
No clue, I use ECM8000, not UMIK-1. Will probably get calibrated umik next month.

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, SVS PC13-Ultra
Kef LS50, Parasound New Classic, Focusrite 2i2
donktard is online now  
post #19972 of 21547 Old 08-14-2016, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,255
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Here's a simple but useful article that could explain what is going on with citsur's AVR with regards to LPF for LFE:

http://www.homecinemaguru.com/confus...ss-management/
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #19973 of 21547 Old 08-14-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,255
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 560
I was wondering if anyone with a Denon/Marantz AVR knows if the LPF for LFE uses a 12dB per octave or 24dB per octave slope.

(And is there an ideal slope that all AVRs with LPF for LFE should follow? regardless of fixed or variable LPF frequency in AVR menus)

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Samsung UN46EH6030; Yamaha HTR-3066, SVS Prime Bookshelf Mains and Prime Center, Cambridge S20 Surrounds, Rythmik LV12R; PS4, Xbox One, Xfinity X1 (CI CXD01ANI)
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #19974 of 21547 Old 08-14-2016, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
corradizo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: near Chicago
Posts: 2,300
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Here's a simple but useful article that could explain what is going on with citsur's AVR with regards to LPF for LFE:

http://www.homecinemaguru.com/confus...ss-management/
That is a nice summary. I'll add that the miniDSP site has a good deal of info that applies beyond the miniDSP line of products. It's often overlooked.

corradizo is online now  
post #19975 of 21547 Old 08-14-2016, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe, Croatia
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Here's a simple but useful article that could explain what is going on with citsur's AVR with regards to LPF for LFE:

http://www.homecinemaguru.com/confus...ss-management/
So, LPF setting has a priority over crossover setting? Weird.
But that still means you can set LPF to 250 Hz, crossover to 250 Hz and have sub play all the way up to 250. If you want. You just shouldn't go lower then 120.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
I was wondering if anyone with a Denon/Marantz AVR knows if the LPF for LFE uses a 12dB per octave or 24dB per octave slope.

(And is there an ideal slope that all AVRs with LPF for LFE should follow? regardless of fixed or variable LPF frequency in AVR menus)
Not sure. I tried various LPF settings. You probably want to stick to 120 if you have sub away from mains because higher up you might end up with some (albeit quiet) 120+ Hz content that will localize sub easily (deep male voice for example).

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, SVS PC13-Ultra
Kef LS50, Parasound New Classic, Focusrite 2i2
donktard is online now  
post #19976 of 21547 Old 08-14-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,255
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Interestingly, when I hover over the crossover/LPF slope in REW EQ tool target options, it says 24dB is typically used.

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Samsung UN46EH6030; Yamaha HTR-3066, SVS Prime Bookshelf Mains and Prime Center, Cambridge S20 Surrounds, Rythmik LV12R; PS4, Xbox One, Xfinity X1 (CI CXD01ANI)
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #19977 of 21547 Old 08-14-2016, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markus767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,358
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3631 Post(s)
Liked: 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
So, LPF setting has a priority over crossover setting?
No. LPF and HPF in bass managed channels are usually linked. The LPF on the LFE channel is only applied to this particular channel. See graph I've posted earlier.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
markus767 is offline  
post #19978 of 21547 Old 08-14-2016, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,517
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Here's a simple but useful article that could explain what is going on with citsur's AVR with regards to LPF for LFE:

http://www.homecinemaguru.com/confus...ss-management/


Are you implying my receiver may be cuffing Low pass filter for LFE at crossover setting frequency?

My Current "Living Room" Home Theater!
Plasma 50" TV: Samsung PN50C8000 — DLP Projector: Optoma GT1080
Projector Screen: Elite VMAX2 Electric — Receiver:Pioneer Elite VSX-44 — Fronts: B&W 684 S1
Center: B&W CM Center S2 — Surrounds: B&W 685 S1 — Subwoofer: Rythmik FV15HP
Rear Surrounds: Polk Audio T15 — Front Heights: Polk Audio T15
citsur86 is online now  
post #19979 of 21547 Old 08-14-2016, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,517
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Found this in my receiver manual. Can't quite understand what it's saying though lol.


My Current "Living Room" Home Theater!
Plasma 50" TV: Samsung PN50C8000 — DLP Projector: Optoma GT1080
Projector Screen: Elite VMAX2 Electric — Receiver:Pioneer Elite VSX-44 — Fronts: B&W 684 S1
Center: B&W CM Center S2 — Surrounds: B&W 685 S1 — Subwoofer: Rythmik FV15HP
Rear Surrounds: Polk Audio T15 — Front Heights: Polk Audio T15
citsur86 is online now  
post #19980 of 21547 Old 08-14-2016, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe, Croatia
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
No. LPF and HPF in bass managed channels are usually linked. The LPF on the LFE channel is only applied to this particular channel. See graph I've posted earlier.
Oh I see it now. So stereo content is basically unaffected by LPF on LFE channel. But if I decide to set crossover to say...250, and keep LPF to 120, my subwoofer will still receive all content below 250 Hz from all other speakers. Although rarely would anyone want that.

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, SVS PC13-Ultra
Kef LS50, Parasound New Classic, Focusrite 2i2
donktard is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off