Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 670 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 1614Likes

post #20071 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I'm messing around with impulse response exporting and EQAPO. I'm exporting them as mono for each channel. I'm assuming this is correct. If I were run a stereo sweep, then eq it, then I would want to export the filters impulse response as stereo. Am I understanding this correctly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20072 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
You need to "move" the sub in one foot increments...did you do that, or did you just "move" it six feet and measure?
I did that the last time I played with REW (I tend to get QUITE frustrated with my lack of results and give up for a spell) and it did nothing. I also tweaked it one foot at a time for the first few but got nothing, so I just went to 6 feet farther out, and then 6 feet closer hoping to see some sort of change....

Quote:
You can measure CC+subs by setting your AVR to Dolby PLII as outlined in Jerry's guide.
Will take a gander at this later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
It does take a block of time to get it right. Sequence i use is measure baseline w/REW, run XT32, then verify w/REW.
Yes it does. My relationship with REW could be best summed up as..

bmcn likes this.

My Setup | FS: 15" Martycube

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #20073 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4320 Post(s)
Liked: 2996
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
I did that the last time I played with REW (I tend to get QUITE frustrated with my lack of results and give up for a spell) and it did nothing. I also tweaked it one foot at a time for the first few but got nothing, so I just went to 6 feet farther out, and then 6 feet closer hoping to see some sort of change....
Did you back out of the distance setting menu? If you don't, the change will not take effect.
post #20074 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Did you back out of the distance setting menu? If you don't, the change will not take effect.
I hit return so I was looking at all the distances combined on screen. Then I ran another test.

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #20075 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I hit return so I was looking at all the distances combined on screen. Then I ran another test.
Nope. Gotta back out of the menu.

You'll be able to see a difference now.
post #20076 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I just really wish there was someone close to me in Indy that I could bribe to come over and help explain it to me and help me get it setup lol...

post #20077 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5820 Post(s)
Liked: 3280
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Usually, that measurement is done with sub(s) and center, though I recently had great success, after adjusting subs to center, then checking left and right (individually) and subs (changing, obviously, the distance of the L/R, not the subs).

Michael
Quote:
Am I reading this right...you changed the distance on your FL/FR speakers? I don't think that's really recommended.
Michael, Alan is correct. The distance adjustments are made to the sub channel, not the main speakers. Perhaps a typo on your part?
post #20078 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I just really wish there was someone close to me in Indy that I could bribe to come over and help explain it to me and help me get it setup lol...
Sorry, can you be more clear on what you are not understanding?
post #20079 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Sorry, can you be more clear on what you are not understanding?
Its the fact that when I select ASIO from the drop down, the UMIK-1 mic is not there, so I am not able to follow your step by step instructions beyond that (which are quite nice and I thank you for your work to put them together).

Thats not your problem so much as apparently my equipment not working the way its supposed to.

If I can get just a few sweeps done so I get the process down I'd feel a lot better.

So far though your guide DID fix my issue with the UMIK-1 mic (from cross spectrum) not liking the lack of a sensitivity factor. I got that resolved by following your instructions.

post #20080 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Its the fact that when I select ASIO from the drop down, the UMIK-1 mic is not there, so I am not able to follow your step by step instructions beyond that (which are quite nice and I thank you for your work to put them together).

Thats not your problem so much as apparently my equipment not working the way its supposed to.

If I can get just a few sweeps done so I get the process down I'd feel a lot better.

So far though your guide DID fix my issue with the UMIK-1 mic (from cross spectrum) not liking the lack of a sensitivity factor. I got that resolved by following your instructions.
I understand now. Sorry, if you are following the guide and the advice given here and ASIO is still not working, I don't think I can add anything. But it has been said many times, REW is perfectly functional using the Java driver, although not quite as easy. Have you been able to take measurements using the Java driver? What can't you do in that mode?
post #20081 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin22 View Post
So I think it's a faulty UMIK and it's difficult dealing with Minidsp because they take three days to answer your mails.
While you're waiting for tech support at MiniDSP to respond...

Have you tried an SMC reset?

Shutdown.

Unplug the power cord.

Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

Plug in the power cord and power on the iMac.

Boot time will take a little longer and you will have to reset any power management settings in Sytem Preferences > Energy Saver.

Then there is always the NVRAM reset.

Restart and hold Command+Option+P+R after the startup sound.

Hold that key combo until you hear the startup sound agin and then release them.

You might want to look for clues in the system.log file, also.

Open Applications > Utilities > Console.app and look for USB related events.
post #20082 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I understand now. Sorry, if you are following the guide and the advice given here and ASIO is still not working, I don't think I can add anything. But it has been said many times, REW is perfectly functional using the Java driver, although not quite as easy. Have you been able to take measurements using the Java driver? What can't you do in that mode?
I was able to get the Java driver working and those graphs were from those measurements. I was mainly wanting to use ASIO like your guide suggested so I could just follow along with it step by step.

Mainly I'm wanting to ensure I've integrated my sub in properly with my mains. From what I'm seeing I need to go back and undo what I did last night and set the xover for my fronts back to 80hz, undo the PEQ I set, and then play with the distance the right way on the sub to see if I can negate the 60hz drop I was getting. I'm also hoping to do some measuring on my main L/R to see what the best placement option for them are.

I'm guessing if I turn off XT32 but leave the distances where they are now, that will still provide me good graphs of their response correct?

I plan to leave work in about 45 mins and head home and will have maybe an hour of time with which I can play with this. My goal is to at least get my mains re-positioned to where they sound the best, and then start looking at my sub.

Using the Java driver I can just measure "both" with the sub amp off to get the response of both L & R speakers together correct? Would this be better than trying to dial each one in independently?

post #20083 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post
I'm messing around with impulse response exporting and EQAPO. I'm exporting them as mono for each channel. I'm assuming this is correct. If I were run a stereo sweep, then eq it, then I would want to export the filters impulse response as stereo. Am I understanding this correctly?
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the answer to your question is maybe.
post #20084 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:
Am I reading this right...you changed the distance on your FL/FR speakers? I don't think that's really recommended.
Perhaps, but it worked really well, and I'm extremely happy with the results. I did not compare them to the physical distances (and, frankly, I'm not even sure where the existing measurements came from - perhaps MCACC), but the change was not dramatic. The difference, however, was dramatic.

Quote:
Changing distances (be it sub or speakers) before running XT32 is pointless. XT will just re-set them.
Of course. Then you set it back.

Quote:
You can measure CC+subs by setting your AVR to Dolby PLII as outlined in Jerry's guide.
No, he can't; his AVR doesn't have PLII.

Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #20085 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you run a sweep for a single channel, put those filters in that channel (Channel: L). Do left and right individually, and see what your results are. Otherwise, generate the filters for both and let the filters apply to everything (as you would for subs).
Michael

Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
post #20086 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
If you run a sweep for a single channel, put those filters in that channel (Channel: L). Do left and right individually, and see what your results are. Otherwise, generate the filters for both and let the filters apply to everything (as you would for subs).
Michael
so what are the differences between the mono and stereo wav's that are produced when you export the filters?
post #20087 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmueller View Post

https://db.tt/wiBsGzth

Right driver in left enclosure, other driver installed but disconnected:
460Hz: 3.6%
600Hz: 2.6%
700Hz: 2.6%

Left driver in left enclosure, other driver installed but disconnected:
460Hz: 3.1%
600Hz: 4%
700Hz: 4.7%

Both drivers installed in original positions in same speaker location:
440-460Hz: 3-4%
610Hz: 14%
700Hz: 15.7%
Looks like both of those drivers may have suffered some damage.

You can test the impedance of the drivers using REW:

http://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/hel...asurement.html

You just need a 0.1% one watt non-inductive resistor and some test leads. Test them out of the enclosure in free air. It will give you a good indication of what condition the driver is in from the impedance curve generated.

This is what a good woofer's impedance should look like:

This is an example of what a damaged driver (a tweeter) looks like (coil windings overheated and delaminated from the VC former):

Notice the double peak near the drivers resonant frequency.

Polk may have replacement drivers for that model, but you can expect to pay a premium for them. There are several sources for Polk replacement drivers, you just need to pull them and look for the model number either stamped on them or on a label affixed to the driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WooferZ.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1612249   Click image for larger version

Name:	BadTweeterZ.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1612257  
post #20088 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
so what are the differences between the mono and stereo wav's that are produced when you export the filters?
If I understand you correctly (which I might not be ), you're talking about two separate things. Generating wav files is for playback on a system that's not also running REW. Exporting the filters is for importing them into whatever eq system you're using. So for impulse response, you're using the Delay command?
Michael

post #20089 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
If I understand you correctly (which I might not be ), you're talking about two separate things. Generating wav files is for playback on a system that's not also running REW. Exporting the filters is for importing them into whatever eq system you're using. So for impulse response, you're using the Delay command?
Michael
It's an option under file->export->filters impulse response as WAV. You can choose mono or stereo. I've been using mono. I'm just curious as to the scenarios that I would use stereo instead.
post #20090 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know why you're doing it at all.
Export filters as text, add them to your config.txt file in E-APO, remeasure, smile.
Done.
Michael

post #20091 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
so what are the differences between the mono and stereo wav's that are produced when you export the filters ?
One had one channel and then other has two you can make multichannel wavs too if you like (albeit not in REW)

ie there is no difference between 2 mono wavs and a stereo wav (containing the same 2 filters)
post #20092 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
One had one channel and then other has two you can make multichannel wavs too if you like (albeit not in REW)

ie there is no difference between 2 mono wavs and a stereo wav (containing the same 2 filters)
That's what I figured and just wanted to check. It would be nice to make one 7 channel wav, but instead I'll just stick to the monos. Thanks.
post #20093 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It would be nice to make one 7 channel wav, but instead I'll just stick to the monos. Thanks.
You might want to try combining the wav files with tsMuxeR.
I don't know if it would work (and I can't try it with the computer I have where I am now), but it's easy enough to try with a couple of files and see what happens.
Of course, I still don't know WHY you're doing it, but I think I can help with the HOW.

Michael

post #20094 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
@Alan when you say back out of menu are you referring to just reversing the steps to get to the menu, sorry for the clueless question?
post #20095 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
You might want to try combining the wav files with tsMuxeR.
I don't know if it would work (and I can't try it with the computer I have where I am now), but it's easy enough to try with a couple of files and see what happens.
Of course, I still don't know WHY you're doing it, but I think I can help with the HOW.

Michael
how do you add a text impulse response filter to eqapo?
post #20096 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
@Alan when you say back out of menu are you referring to just reversing the steps to get to the menu, sorry for the clueless question?
On some (a lot? most??) AVRs, the change in distance setting will not take effect until you back up one menu level. On my AVR (Denon 4520), I have to back up one step from the SPEAKERS>MANUAL SETUP>SPEAKER DISTANCES menu to the SPEAKERS>MANUAL SETUP menu.

If you can see still the list of speaker distances, your change has (most likely) not taken effect.
ahblaza likes this.
post #20097 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
On some (a lot? most??) AVRs, the change in distance setting will not take effect until you back up one menu level. On my AVR (Denon 4520), I have to back up one step from the SPEAKERS>MANUAL SETUP>SPEAKER DISTANCES menu to the SPEAKERS>MANUAL SETUP menu.

If you can see still the list of speaker distances, your change has (most likely) not taken effect.
Actually, my Yamaha doesn't need to back out of the distance menu during the sw distance tweak.
post #20098 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have no idea, but, as I've said, I have no idea what you're trying to do.
You should find the answer here, however:
https://sourceforge.net/p/equalizera...n%20reference/
Michael

post #20099 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 06:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Quote:
I have no idea, but, as I've said, I have no idea what you're trying to do.
You should find the answer here, however:
https://sourceforge.net/p/equalizera...n%20reference/
Michael
Yes, please explain what you are trying to accomplish. It is hard answering your questions in a vacuum.
post #20100 of 20735 Old 08-19-2016, 06:48 PM

I'm already accomplishing what I want. I just wanted to learn the difference between the stereo and mono filters that rew can export. Evidently I'm wasting my time using wav and should use text.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page