Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 677 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1499Likes
post #20281 of 20284 Unread Today, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I don't see anything wrong with your graphs. How would you define and measure "punchiness"? BTW, a good track to assess what I think you mean by punchiness is the first track on Haim's album "Days are Gone". On my system, the bass "pressurizes" the room.
Listened to "days are gone" from Amazon. At the beginning Bass seemed fine but after 30 secsonds the section sounded as if Bass wasn't as clear. It was impactful and I could hear the low frequency imactp but it didn't sound very clean. Does it sound very clean in your system? I think I"m getting good check slam from my mains instead of my subs.

My FLR speakers
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/c...way/4722_4722n
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20282 of 20284 Unread Today, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 5255 Post(s)
Liked: 2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
movies have ample LFE content often very hot and has alot of low end, 2ch music doesn't have an LFE channel, just 2ch of bass management
Think about what you just said. True, music doesn't have a LFE track. But bass management combines LFE with re-directed bass and outputs it all to the same sub channel. Your sub has no way of knowing whether the bass came from LFE or from the redirected signal.

What may be different is that the lower the bass signal, the more likely room modes at very low frequencies may be coming into play. This would happen whether the source were movies or music, and whether it was LFE or re-directed.
post #20283 of 20284 Unread Today, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 5255 Post(s)
Liked: 2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by filya View Post
Listened to "days are gone" from Amazon. At the beginning Bass seemed fine but after 30 secsonds the section sounded as if Bass wasn't as clear. It was impactful and I could hear the low frequency imactp but it didn't sound very clean. Does it sound very clean in your system? I think I"m getting good check slam from my mains instead of my subs.

My FLR speakers
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/c...way/4722_4722n
You should not be getting any slam from the mains at all. Frequencies below the crossover should be going to the subs, and the mains shouldn't be getting any of the low bass frequencies.

Unless, of course, your mains are set to Large, or you have "double bass" configured. If either of these are true, we would be getting closer to understanding what is wrong with your bass.
Alan P likes this.
post #20284 of 20284 Unread Today, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
You should not be getting any slam from the mains at all. Frequencies below the crossover should be going to the subs, and the mains shouldn't be getting any of the low bass frequencies.

Unless, of course, your mains are set to Large, or you have "double bass" configured. If either of these are true, we would be getting closer to understanding what is wrong with your bass.
nope nope. Mains were set to small. It was just a guess that that mains are producing good mid-bass to cause a good check slam. Thought, after reading you post, I set mains to Large to see how it does and it has punchier bass. May be 8dB is a bit too much? May be I should recalibrate Dirac. I had to move sub and it might be caueing it. FR doesn't show it but oh well. I do have a Dirac question. I"ll post it on 88-a thread. See you there Jerry .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew