Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 685 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1571Likes

post #20521 of 20531 Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5467 Post(s)
Liked: 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
I think some people call it mid bass modules. Rythmik even sells a special version of the F8 called the FM8 to be used in this fashion.

In my case, I mean I plan to use my TBIs subs to support my mains crossed over at as close to 200Hz (or higher) as they can handle. As you know, a crossover that high is localizable so I need a TBI paired with each main speaker for it to be seamless.

Not necessarily something I would recommend but I've been wanting to try it for a while. But things keep preventing me from doing it.
Why are your mains crossed over so high? Are they extraordinarily small? So how will the TBI's be wired up? Do they need to be co-located with the mains, or can they be placed anywhere.

I have never heard of this approach before. What problem are you trying to solve?
ahblaza likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20522 of 20531 Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
I would try a higher crossover (at least 50, probably 80Hz). Don't feel badly that your fronts aren't being "used;" they'll probably be able to perform much better and with more headroom without trying to do the job of the subwoofer.
Then you can add more subs.

Michael
You mean you think I'll have more problems having the Klipsch at 30hz & the SVS at 50hz (fwiw - I'm using the the sharp 24db slope setting on both), and would be better off keeping them both at the same X-over point (HP & LP points)?

Thx for the feedback.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 4K/3D Theater
post #20523 of 20531 Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Why are your mains crossed over so high? Are they extraordinarily small? So how will the TBI's be wired up? Do they need to be co-located with the mains, or can they be placed anywhere.

I have never heard of this approach before. What problem are you trying to solve?
I'm surprised you hadn't heard of this technique. There's a bunch of stuff on the Internet (pros and cons. I just want to try it). But I think this article will answer a lot of questions.

My speakers are smallish but I find the higher I cross them the clearer everything sounds. I currently cross them at 100Hz so I want to try higher but then I have the localization problem.

My preamp has a digital in and has 4 outputs L/R and configurable L/R. The configurable L/R can be full signal or a low-passed signal in either mono or stereo. The latter would be low-passed L and low-passed R (actually, more configurable than that but for this purpose that's what matters). So I would do that and feed each signal into its own TBI. As an aside, the crossover in the preamp can go extraordinarily high (like 9999Hz) and supports a variety of types BW,LR, and orders (1st,2nd,4th,8th).

The preamp can do delay as well so the subs can either be co-located or placed anywhere, I think. I'd have them co-lo to make my life simpler and that's all my room supports anyway.

I am not sure that there's an actual problem I'm trying to solve. I've just heard that "stereo bass" can really open up 2ch soundstage and detail.

My preamp is a Lyngdorf and I'm inspired by the Lyngdorf speaker system (review).

Again, please don't judge. It's just a configuration I want to try out. I've read about how so-called stereo bass makes no sense but I'm having a mad scientist moment with this, if I ever to try it.
post #20524 of 20531 Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
You mean you think I'll have more problems having the Klipsch at 30hz & the SVS at 50hz (fwiw - I'm using the the sharp 24db slope setting on both), and would be better off keeping them both at the same X-over point (HP & LP points)?

Thx for the feedback.
I read somewhere, and I think Markus advocates, keeping your chosen crossover the same for all speakers. It simplifies a bunch of stuff.
post #20525 of 20531 Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 5467 Post(s)
Liked: 3126
Quote:
I'm surprised you hadn't heard of this technique. There's a bunch of stuff on the Internet (pros and cons. I just want to try it). But I think this article will answer a lot of questions.

My speakers are smallish but I find the higher I cross them the clearer everything sounds. I currently cross them at 100Hz so I want to try higher but then I have the localization problem.

My preamp has a digital in and has 4 outputs L/R and configurable L/R. The configurable L/R can be full signal or a low-passed signal in either mono or stereo. The latter would be low-passed L and low-passed R (actually, more configurable than that but for this purpose that's what matters). So I would do that and feed each signal into its own TBI. As an aside, the crossover in the preamp can go extraordinarily high (like 9999Hz) and supports a variety of types BW,LR, and orders (1st,2nd,4th,8th).

The preamp can do delay as well so the subs can either be co-located or placed anywhere, I think. I'd have them co-lo to make my life simpler and that's all my room supports anyway.

I am not sure that there's an actual problem I'm trying to solve. I've just heard that "stereo bass" can really open up 2ch soundstage and detail.

My preamp is a Lyngdorf and I'm inspired by the Lyngdorf speaker system (review).

Again, please don't judge. It's just a configuration I want to try out. I've read about how so-called stereo bass makes no sense but I'm having a mad scientist moment with this, if I ever to try it.
Very interesting. I look forward to reading the info in the link you provided, after this evening's debate. I would never judge, especially when someone is trying something different and interesting. good luck!
ahblaza likes this.
post #20526 of 20531 Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Very interesting. I look forward to reading the info in the link you provided, after this evening's debate. I would never judge, especially when someone is trying something different and interesting. good luck!
You're talking about artur's speakers, not the debate's speakers, right?

Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #20527 of 20531 Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
better off keeping them both at the same X-over point (HP & LP points)?
Yes, better off the same and perhaps better off at 80 than at 50. Easy enough to try.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #20528 of 20531 Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Yes, better off the same and perhaps better off at 80 than at 50. Easy enough to try.
Michael

Yeah, I hear ya and all things being equal I could prob do it that way but just trying to keep my Pro Audyssey calibration in-tact and take the low-end burden off my existing subs (which ChadB did and sounds excellent and I'd hate to start over or waste the $450 already paid if I don't have to). I figured I could simply use the miniDSP to cut off the lower end which the Klipsch's now struggle with (Atmos & DTS:X), and blend in the SVS 2000 cylinder to handle the rest down to 16-18hz. I have them both time aligned and I'm close but it's been a bit more challenging than I I thought (and interestingly I don't really see a huge bubble between 30-50hz which the two subs share even when using the sharp slopes).

Thx

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 4K/3D Theater
post #20529 of 20531 Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Yeah, I hear ya and all things being equal I could prob do it that way but just trying to keep my Pro Audyssey calibration in-tact and take the low-end burden off my existing subs (which ChadB did and sounds excellent and I'd hate to start over or waste the $450 already paid if I don't have to). I figured I could simply use the miniDSP to cut off the lower end which the Klipsch's now struggle with (Atmos & DTS:X), and blend in the SVS 2000 cylinder to handle the rest down to 16-18hz. I have them both time aligned and I'm close but it's been a bit more challenging than I I thought (and interestingly I don't really see a huge bubble between 30-50hz which the two subs share even when using the sharp slopes).

Thx
You should be able to raise crossover points without changing the Audyssey calibration.

Last edited by Marc Alexander; Yesterday at 09:32 PM. Reason: Deleted irrelevant information
post #20530 of 20531 Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3314 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
Quote:
Stereo bass in acoustically small rooms is nonsense. The room completely scrambles any directional information below 100Hz. You end up with directional effects that are NOT in the recording and unpredictable bass performance as the two stereo subs will interact in different ways depending on the directional information in the recording. Better create a monophonic bass channel and use it with multiple subs.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #20531 of 20531 Old Today, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Stereo bass in acoustically small rooms is nonsense. The room completely scrambles any directional information below 100Hz.
Right but what about mid bass modules that extend up to 300Hz like the Lyngdorf BW-1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page