Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 725 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1769Likes

post #21721 of 21744 Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormInfested View Post
i'm still fiddling with REW but yes when i did it the crossover was at 80 on the receiver. i'll bump it all the way and rerun it again. not sure how to do the measurement with the center but will study up on that today.
Just unplug the other speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21722 of 21744 Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 160 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6686 Post(s)
Liked: 3686
Quote:
Originally Posted by WormInfested View Post
i'm still fiddling with REW but yes when i did it the crossover was at 80 on the receiver. i'll bump it all the way and rerun it again. not sure how to do the measurement with the center but will study up on that today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickett View Post
Just unplug the other speakers.
OK, here are some more details. I assume that measurements are being taken with a laptop that supports HDMI/ASIO wit REW.

- To Measure Sub only, output the REW signal to HDMI3 and unplug the cable to the center channel. (Raise the Center crossover to it's highest value)
- To measure Sub+Center, output the REW signal to HDMI3 and plug the center back in. (Remember to lower the crossover back to 80Hz).
ahblaza likes this.
post #21723 of 21744 Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hello guys, when it's mentioned to change or alter the phase (delay) of the closer sub to MLP, are we talking about decreasing the distance versus increasing? Please excuse my ignorance but one would expect to increase the delay of the closer sub to compensate for the differences of the FF sub. I do know that the closer sub's delay does indeed need to be decreased but don't understand the reasoning for it, it does sound counter intuitive but know it's the right way, please explain. TIA
If you have two speakers or subs that are different distances away from the MLP without any time alignment, the signal from the closest sub will reach your ears first. You want to delay the signal from the nearest sub to achieve time alignment. Take the difference between the two subs distances, convert to inches, divide by 13512 (speed of sound in in/sec), and multiply the results by 1000 to convert the result to milliseconds.

Example: Two subs, one 10ft from MLP and one 5ft from MLP. Difference = 5ft = 60in. (60/13512)*1000 = 4.4ms. So you would add a delay of 4.4ms to the nearest sub.
ahblaza and unretarded like this.

post #21724 of 21744 Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Hello guys, when it's mentioned to change or alter the phase (delay) of the closer sub to MLP, are we talking about decreasing the distance versus increasing?
I think you can do either to reach phase alignment. IMO, I think if you can decrease it's better but the only thing that matters is that the sub and mains are phase-aligned.
post #21725 of 21744 Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
I think you can do either to reach phase alignment. IMO, I think if you can decrease it's better but the only thing that matters is that the sub and mains are phase-aligned.

Think of it as plus or minus......one direction adds delay, the other makes the delay shorter.

Link to budget Home Theater build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...i-version.html
post #21726 of 21744 Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
No, the subs need to be phase aligned with each other as well, and then the combined signal needs to be time aligned with the mains. In my setup, the former is done manually with the MiniDSP (and validated using REW measurements), while the alignment between the combined sub channel and the mains is handled by the Dirac calibration.
ahblaza likes this.
post #21727 of 21744 Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
Think of it as plus or minus......one direction adds delay, the other makes the delay shorter.
Typically, the furthest device has a zero delay and nearer devices have a positive delay. So I am not sure what you mean by plus or minus. Care to elaborate?
post #21728 of 21744 Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Typically, the furthest device has a zero delay and nearer devices have a positive delay. So I am not sure what you mean by plus or minus. Care to elaborate?
Basically exactly what you said.........

Technically not plus or minus........better stated/more clearly stated on my part, adding and subtracting delay that is in the positive measurement range.

Bad terminology use on my part, sorry.

I just learned that the farthest is typically set to 0,...thanks!

I was just trying to help explain, which in retrospect, I did a poor job of.

post #21729 of 21744 Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked: 1620
Quote:
If you have two speakers or subs that are different distances away from the MLP without any time alignment, the signal from the closest sub will reach your ears first. You want to delay the signal from the nearest sub to achieve time alignment. Take the difference between the two subs distances, convert to inches, divide by 13512 (speed of sound in in/sec), and multiply the results by 1000 to convert the result to milliseconds.

Example: Two subs, one 10ft from MLP and one 5ft from MLP. Difference = 5ft = 60in. (60/13512)*1000 = 4.4ms. So you would add a delay of 4.4ms to the nearest sub.
Jerry Thanks, that's the explanation I was hoping to get, very easy to understand now. You say you manually time align your subs prior to Dirac, your front two are equidistant from MLP and your rear two are equidistant as well but not the same distance as the fronts, correct?
post #21730 of 21744 Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Jerry Thanks, that's the explanation I was hoping to get, very easy to understand now. You say you manually time align your subs prior to Dirac, your front two are equidistant from MLP and your rear two are equidistant as well but not the same distance as the fronts, correct?
Yes, that is correct. The front subs are 12ft away, the rear subs only 3ft away. The 2x4 only allows a maximum of 7.5ms delay, and I am close to that limit. Unfortunately, that is one of the weaknesses of the 2x4.
post #21731 of 21744 Old Today, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Yes, that is correct. The front subs are 12ft away, the rear subs only 3ft away. The 2x4 only allows a maximum of 7.5ms delay, and I am close to that limit. Unfortunately, that is one of the weaknesses of the 2x4.

I have been looking at the minidsp 2x4 and the Behringer DEQ2496 Ultra-Curve Pro High Performance 24Bit Digital Audio Processor .

I can get both at about the same price once you figure software for the 2x4......the pro curve would be used.

Any thoughts ?

post #21732 of 21744 Old Today, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Subwoofer delay testing
I have read in this thread and other forums, to set the subwoofer delay so that a max SPL is attained in the Xover region. Another method that is used is the impulse response.
I wanted to see how both methods correlate. So I did a series of measurements with different delays of the subwoofer relative to the center speaker, with the center speaker as timing reference. I changed the relative delay between center speaker and subwoofer in steps of 0.3m. Reference is no delay setting, then the next step is the center delayed by 0.3m, next 0.6m and so on.
The IR Impulse response diagram shows that with a setting of 0.9m (green curve), the start of the subwoofer impulse is more or less aligned properly with the center channel.

For the SPL, I show a narrow cutout window around the Xover region. Xover is set in the AVR at 120Hz (I have fairly small speakers and 120Hz is recommended by the manufacturer. I checked this was OK, but this is not the topic here).
At a delay setting 0.9m (green curve), the peak at 130Hz is definitely higher than in the reference condition. So far so good. The 130Hz peak at 1.2m (dark blue curve) setting is even higher, but the through at 160Hz is lower.

So my conclusion is:
IR method and SPL method correspond quite well. The interpretation with IR is easier.
In my case, I would choose a delay of 0.9m, because the SPL peak at Xover is almost maximum, and the IR impulse response shows proper timing. (In a next step I intend to EQ the subwoofer).

I would like to hear comments about this methodology and the conclusions for my case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	delay testing final V2 IR.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1995785   Click image for larger version

Name:	delay testing final V2 SPL.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1995793  

Last edited by turboman123; Today at 05:53 AM.
post #21733 of 21744 Old Today, 07:26 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
I have been looking at the minidsp 2x4 and the Behringer DEQ2496 Ultra-Curve Pro High Performance 24Bit Digital Audio Processor .

I can get both at about the same price once you figure software for the 2x4......the pro curve would be used.

Any thoughts ?
I have no experience with the Behringer. The MiniDSP has been perfect for my requirements, and MiniDSP's support organization has been excellent.
post #21734 of 21744 Old Today, 07:34 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman123 View Post
Subwoofer delay testing
I have read in this thread and other forums, to set the subwoofer delay so that a max SPL is attained in the Xover region. Another method that is used is the impulse response.
I wanted to see how both methods correlate. So I did a series of measurements with different delays of the subwoofer relative to the center speaker, with the center speaker as timing reference. I changed the relative delay between center speaker and subwoofer in steps of 0.3m. Reference is no delay setting, then the next step is the center delayed by 0.3m, next 0.6m and so on.
The IR Impulse response diagram shows that with a setting of 0.9m (green curve), the start of the subwoofer impulse is more or less aligned properly with the center channel.

For the SPL, I show a narrow cutout window around the Xover region. Xover is set in the AVR at 120Hz (I have fairly small speakers and 120Hz is recommended by the manufacturer. I checked this was OK, but this is not the topic here).
At a delay setting 0.9m (green curve), the peak at 130Hz is definitely higher than in the reference condition. So far so good. The 130Hz peak at 1.2m (dark blue curve) setting is even higher, but the through at 160Hz is lower.

So my conclusion is:
IR method and SPL method correspond quite well. The interpretation with IR is easier.
In my case, I would choose a delay of 0.9m, because the SPL peak at Xover is almost maximum, and the IR impulse response shows proper timing. (In a next step I intend to EQ the subwoofer).

I would like to hear comments about this methodology and the conclusions for my case.
It is difficult to tell which impulse curve is which, since they are all the same color. But I agree with you, I would be inclined to go with the impulse response approach. In my setup, I use automated room correction (Dirac Live) to set the delay between the combined sub signal and the mains. When I check the results using the impulse response method, the alignment is always spot-on.
post #21735 of 21744 Old Today, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman123 View Post
If you flip the phase on the sub(s), you look for the lowest SPL (which is usually more obvious than the highest and much easier on the ears).
At What Point Do I "Play" With The 0/180 Phase Switch On Dayton 1500 SUB?
Then switch the phase back, obviously.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
For most of the time, the here and now is neither now nor here. Graham Swift
post #21736 of 21744 Old Today, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked: 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
If you flip the phase on the sub(s), you look for the lowest SPL (which is usually more obvious than the highest and much easier on the ears).
At What Point Do I "Play" With The 0/180 Phase Switch On Dayton 1500 SUB?
Then switch the phase back, obviously.
Michael
That's not a "phase switch" but a polarity reversal. Sometimes reversing polarity will create better results. It all depends on the phase behavior of the other sources involved.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #21737 of 21744 Old Today, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Jerry, would I benefit much using a single output channel for multiple subs with the 2x4 with having XT32 SUB EQ capabilities? The reason I ask, I have added a third sub (identical) to my system and was looking for the best option prior to running the RC calibration. I have an unbalanced 2x4 that I've never used, should I be concerned with the .9 volt gain? I'd like to try the time alignment 2x4 method in your sig if you think it's a viable option with the Audy SUB EQ?
post #21738 of 21744 Old Today, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
That's not a "phase switch" but a polarity reversal.
Okay, this is me pleading ignorance again.
What's the difference?
Michael
ahblaza likes this.

Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
post #21739 of 21744 Old Today, 10:56 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Thanks Jerry, would I benefit much using a single output channel for multiple subs with the 2x4 with having XT32 SUB EQ capabilities? The reason I ask, I have added a third sub (identical) to my system and was looking for the best option prior to running the RC calibration. I have an unbalanced 2x4 that I've never used, should I be concerned with the .9 volt gain? I'd like to try the time alignment 2x4 method in your sig if you think it's a viable option with the Audy SUB EQ?
If you use the 2x4, then don't use dual sub outputs with XT32--it's an either-or. If your third sub can be paired with an existing sub and placed equidistant from the MLP, you can still use XT32 effectively.
ahblaza likes this.
post #21740 of 21744 Old Today, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you use the 2x4, then don't use dual sub outputs with XT32--it's an either-or. If your third sub can be paired with an existing sub and placed equidistant from the MLP, you can still use XT32 effectively.
Correct me if I'm not understanding paired with an existing sub equidistant from MLP, I'll have two subs on one preout that are equidistant to MLP and the third on the second separate output but not equidistant to the front pair to the MLP. In other words the third sub will be closer to the MLP than the front pair, not NF but within 5' radius of the LP. Is this what you're saying or do you recommend a different configuration with XT32, thanks?
post #21741 of 21744 Old Today, 11:55 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Correct me if I'm not understanding paired with an existing sub equidistant from MLP, I'll have two subs on one preout that are equidistant to MLP and the third on the second separate output but not equidistant to the front pair to the MLP. In other words the third sub will be closer to the MLP than the front pair, not NF but within 5' radius of the LP. Is this what you're saying or do you recommend a different configuration with XT32, thanks?
That is exactly how I would do it.
post #21742 of 21744 Old Today, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Ok fella's so I've got some questions. I just redid my speaker configuration and I'm totally lost as to how to get rid of a MASSIVE dip in my response.

I ran XT32 and left everything default and ran a Graph using my Right speaker + sub. It is the Brown One. Decently even response but given I have a sealed sub was confused why it wasnt better.

So I cranked the gain on my UM18 4 cubic foot box paired with a bridged Crown XLS2000 sub. Still no real change in the under 80hz stuff.

So I looked and XT32 set my Fronts to Large. So I set them to Small and left the Crossover at 40hz and took another measurement, the green one. The sub gain is at 100% so thats why its a MASSIVE increase, and I dont anticipate keeping it there.

Here is where I am annoyed.

The MASSIVE dip around 53hz wont ever seem to go away. I'm open to suggestions as to combat it, or if its even a big deal, but I've never been able to get rid of it.

In the past I think I've tried the following things to no avail, but I'm open to trying them again:

-Changing the distance of my sub foot by foot (forwards and then backwards) and seeing how it adjusts, but IIRC not a lot changed.
-I adjusted the Crossover settings on my fronts from 40hz all the way up to 100hz in increments of 10 but all that happened was that there started to get to be a dip around 90hz that caused other issues

Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed. I have pics of my layout in my signature. Some slight furniture changes just happened but the room is pretty much the same.

I realized last night that at least that dip around 90 was due to me being an idiot.

I had set my Crown XLS2000 to bridge... LOWPASS. I had added a filter at 89hz to the response so I was stacking XT32's filters on top of that.

I set it to bypass and plan to run some more sweeps after I redo XT32 due to adding in a second sub enclosure thats ~4 cubic feet with 4 x 12's in it.

I anticipate seeing a much smoother response at that point.

My Setup | FS: Nothing right now

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #21743 of 21744 Old Today, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I realized last night that at least that dip around 90 was due to me being an idiot.
Been there, done that.
Looking forward to your new and improved graphs.
Michael

post #21744 of 21744 Old Today, 01:39 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
If I had a dollar for every stupid audio mistake I have made, I would be a rich man. But the joy of realizing what has been done in time to correct it, that is sublime!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page