Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 736 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1864Likes

post #22051 of 22059 Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6857 Post(s)
Liked: 3813
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Varner View Post
I wouldn't expect them to be the same. The mic's are differnet models and assume John wants the data so he can make adjustments in the REW programming for Windows 10 and the UMM-6. I don't see how it really matters as long as he has a solid relation ship to the SPL reading and the windows mic level. No I did the test according to what I was doing previously I gave John the parameters and he said it was ok. the only thing I changed was only using one speaker and I was about 3ft away. I am also am using a boom mic stand.
David, did you even look at my data? I have both the UMM-6 and the UMIK-1, and measured both. The point I am making is that my UMM-6 readings are quite different from yours. One of us is showing bad data. Did you compare your calibration file with mine to see if the sensitivity factors are similar???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22052 of 22059 Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
David, did you even look at my data? I have both the UMM-6 and the UMIK-1, and measured both. The point I am making is that my UMM-6 readings are quite different from yours. One of us is showing bad data. Did you compare your calibration file with mine to see if the sensitivity factors are similar???
I just went back and reread your post ok. here is my sens file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt narrow_band_response_90_degree.txt (23.9 KB, 10 views)
post #22053 of 22059 Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM

I see absolutly no correlation between UMM-6 numbers especially my mic 107db to 88.5 going from 0% to 10%

post #22054 of 22059 Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I see absolutly no correlation between UMM-6 numbers especially my mic 107db to 88.5 going from 0% to 10%
Yes, very different indeed. Our calibration files are somewhat different as well. Maybe John will have a good explanation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jerry vs David.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	2045273  
post #22055 of 22059 Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM

I redid the test and I see that I wote down the SPL reading in REW and not the dBFS in the input level (horizontal bar). Here are the result of the exact test done exactly as link you sent me with the proper dBFS readings.

Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393

CM-140 SPL reading 91dB

0%-52.3dBfs
10-50.9
20-49.6
30-48.3
40-45.7
50-44.5
60-40.5
70-37.8
80-33.9
90-28.5
100-23.2

I had the level a little higher but it looks like are number are moving pretty close together I think it looks pretty good

Last edited by David Varner; Yesterday at 04:47 PM.
post #22056 of 22059 Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I redid the test and I see that I wote down the SPL reading in REW and not the dBFS in the input level (horizontal bar). Here are the result of the exact test done exactly as link you sent me with the proper dBFS readings.

Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393

CM-140 SPL reading 91dB

0%-52.3dBfs
10-50.9
20-49.6
30-48.3
40-45.7
50-44.5
60-40.5
70-37.8
80-33.9
90-28.5
100-23.2
Those look better, David. The differences are now small, and probably within the manufacturing tolerances of the mics. Let's see what John has to say.
post #22057 of 22059 Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Your questions lead me to believe that you have not read and followed Step 8 (p 23) in the MiniDSP implementation guide linked in my sig. It has step-by-step instructions. Have you reviewed the guide?
Thanks !

I had jotted down some notes, but should have opened yout guide back up, I was getting hung up on send file to EQ as that is no longer a REW option.

I will have to open up REW when I get home, but I believe it gives 2 options there now.......one to save the file and one to save the file as a text file, although both do the same and save as a text file.

I believe the send to EQ is no longer a option..........but both the new text and old text appear to do the same thing.

I also see from your guide, which I should have just used/had open that the new EQ filtered response is only marginally better. I just assumed it would be much better. I have enough experiance now to also determine I have no idea what actually is better, because both do not look ideal.

I need to remper my expectations with reality and educate myself better on what is actually considered better and at what point it will not get any better.

I guess more reading and more use will get me a better understanding....

Thanks.....

Link to budget Home Theater build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...i-version.html
post #22058 of 22059 Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
Thanks !

I had jotted down some notes, but should have opened yout guide back up, I was getting hung up on send file to EQ as that is no longer a REW option.

I will have to open up REW when I get home, but I believe it gives 2 options there now.......one to save the file and one to save the file as a text file, although both do the same and save as a text file.

I believe the send to EQ is no longer a option..........but both the new text and old text appear to do the same thing.

I also see from your guide, which I should have just used/had open that the new EQ filtered response is only marginally better. I just assumed it would be much better. I have enough experiance now to also determine I have no idea what actually is better, because both do not look ideal.

I need to remper my expectations with reality and educate myself better on what is actually considered better and at what point it will not get any better.

I guess more reading and more use will get me a better understanding....

Thanks.....
I believe the new option is "Export filters as text". I need to update the guide--I don't know when that change occurred.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Export filter.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	2045625  
post #22059 of 22059 Old Today, 01:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
I believe the new option is "Export filters as text". I need to update the guide--I don't know when that change occurred.
John likes to keep the REW goalposts moving, makes things more interesting for new comers😂

Keep up Jerry, best regards, Mike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page