Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 737 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1869Likes

post #22081 of 22105 Old 03-24-2017, 06:05 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6891 Post(s)
Liked: 3826
OK, we seem to have confirmed a 60Hz electrical noise. Can you hear anything in the speakers? If no, I wouldn't worry about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22082 of 22105 Old 03-24-2017, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
OK, we seem to have confirmed a 60Hz electrical noise. Can you hear anything in the speakers? If no, I wouldn't worry about it.
I hear hum if I put my head on rear speakers. Surround and Front speakers are fine. What's really driving me crazy is that REW is not showing the FR up to 20K. My previous laptop that I was able to do on broke and I lost everything. Bought a new one and after installing latest REW version (not Beta), when I take reading, it goes up to 14K and then drops. I know that I didn't have this issue before. I did make changes in room by taking out my previous room treatment and replaced them with 703 ownen. But I really don't think that they would cause this issue. In fact, I even have less treatment than before so for sure it shouldn't be the treatment. My speakers are capable of going up to 21K and have 106dB of sensitivity. So its not the speakers either. I think its something with the setting in REW? Any idea Jerry????
post #22083 of 22105 Old 03-25-2017, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 3767 Post(s)
Liked: 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post
Bought a new one and after installing latest REW version (not Beta), when I take reading, it goes up to 14K and then drops.
Does the upper cutoff vary between measurements? If yes then change REW > Preferences > Soundcard > Output Buffer

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole

post #22084 of 22105 Old 03-25-2017, 06:39 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I hear hum if I put my head on rear speakers. Surround and Front speakers are fine. What's really driving me crazy is that REW is not showing the FR up to 20K. My previous laptop that I was able to do on broke and I lost everything. Bought a new one and after installing latest REW version (not Beta), when I take reading, it goes up to 14K and then drops. I know that I didn't have this issue before. I did make changes in room by taking out my previous room treatment and replaced them with 703 ownen. But I really don't think that they would cause this issue. In fact, I even have less treatment than before so for sure it shouldn't be the treatment. My speakers are capable of going up to 21K and have 106dB of sensitivity. So its not the speakers either. I think its something with the setting in REW? Any idea Jerry????
I don't think it has anything to do with the specific issue you are seeing, but you should always install the REW software version shown here: http://www.roomeqwizard.com/beta.html.

There is no need to be reluctant just because it says beta. The fixes and enhancements since the last "official" version are significant.

And as for the HF roll-off, I have never seen that, so have no advice for you.
post #22085 of 22105 Old 03-25-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Does the upper cutoff vary between measurements? If yes then change REW > Preferences > Soundcard > Output Buffer
No it doesn't.
Quote:
I don't think it has anything to do with the specific issue you are seeing, but you should always install the REW software version shown here: http://www.roomeqwizard.com/beta.html.

There is no need to be reluctant just because it says beta. The fixes and enhancements since the last "official" version are significant.

And as for the HF roll-off, I have never seen that, so have no advice for you.
Good idea. I did have the beta version on my previous laptop. I wanted to narrow down if its REW or some setting on PC. So took readings in Dirac and in Measurement section I see that the graph does fall down in Dirac as well. Now it boils down to either Mic or the calibration file or the setting of Mic on PC. Read your guide and it states to set the gain to 81 in Win 10. Don't really know if that makes a big difference but at this point I have to try everything. Plus I have to set the sensitivity in calibration file and see if that makes any difference.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C High Frequency End.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	2048073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dirac LR High frequencies.PNG
Views:	125
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	2048081  
post #22086 of 22105 Old 03-25-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 3767 Post(s)
Liked: 1347
Quote:
No it doesn't.

Good idea. I did have the beta version on my previous laptop. I wanted to narrow down if its REW or some setting on PC. So took readings in Dirac and in Measurement section I see that the graph does fall down in Dirac as well. Now it boils down to either Mic or the calibration file or the setting of Mic on PC. Read your guide and it states to set the gain to 81 in Win 10. Don't really know if that makes a big difference but at this point I have to try everything. Plus I have to set the sensitivity in calibration file and see if that makes any difference.

[...]
Switch to logarithmic scaling in REW.
That doesn't look like a mic or PC problem but more like normal in-room behavior of your speakers.
Check also if you're using the right calibration file and switch off any processing in your AVR.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #22087 of 22105 Old 03-25-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
That doesn't look like a mic or PC problem but more like normal in-room behavior of your speakers.
Check also if you're using the right calibration file and switch off any processing in your AVR.
There is no processing in AVR. I use Dirac and had the correction off. I set avr to Surround because in this mode all speakers work in REW. No correction in avr.

I took reading by having mice close to tweeter. By design (see image below) the tweeter is inside the horn so can't really put the mic in there. Had mic around 2" away from horn. Seems like it is room then since Green (one with close to tweeter) is only a few db lower.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4722_front_r.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	2048249   Click image for larger version

Name:	MLP Vs At Speaker High Frequency.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	2048257  
post #22088 of 22105 Old 03-25-2017, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 167
That looks about like my full range sweeps.........

I know when using the tone generator, I can not hear anything above about 14-16k anyway.

Link to budget Home Theater build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...i-version.html
post #22089 of 22105 Old 03-25-2017, 01:08 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:

I did have the beta version on my previous laptop. I wanted to narrow down if its REW or some setting on PC. So took readings in Dirac and in Measurement section I see that the graph does fall down in Dirac as well. Now it boils down to either Mic or the calibration file or the setting of Mic on PC. Read your guide and it states to set the gain to 81 in Win 10. Don't really know if that makes a big difference but at this point I have to try everything. Plus I have to set the sensitivity in calibration file and see if that makes any difference.
First of all, the mic sensitivity setting is not used by Dirac, although the calibration file is. The Windows audio gain setting also has no bearing--Dirac adjusts this setting to meets its needs.

You can see from the response measurement of my mains that a roll-off in the high frequencies is not unusual, especially in a highly treated room like mine. I tailor my custom target curve to follow the roll-off, rather than trying to artificially boost the high frequencies. I don't hear much, if anything, above 15KHz anyway.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LR with Dirac.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	2048297  
unretarded likes this.
post #22090 of 22105 Old 03-25-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Just found out that the calibration I have been using since my pc broke (a week ago) is wrong one. I usee minidsp UMIK-1 mic. Sad part is that the sticker that contains the serail number is wearied out. Any other way to know the serial number so that I can download the right calibration file?
post #22091 of 22105 Old 03-25-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
First of all, the mic sensitivity setting is not used by Dirac, although the calibration file is. The Windows audio gain setting also has no bearing--Dirac adjusts this setting to meets its needs.

You can see from the response measurement of my mains that a roll-off in the high frequencies is not unusual, especially in a highly treated room like mine. I tailor my custom target curve to follow the roll-off, rather than trying to artificially boost the high frequencies. I don't hear much, if anything, above 15KHz anyway.
So the room treatment can really suck the HF out. Hmmmmm. I did take all the panels from front out and still had the drop. I think its the calibration file. I haven't been using right calibration file and sad part is that the sticker that contains the number is not readable anymore.
post #22092 of 22105 Old 03-25-2017, 01:59 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
So the room treatment can really suck the HF out. Hmmmmm. I did take all the panels from front out and still had the drop. I think its the calibration file. I haven't been using right calibration file and sad part is that the sticker that contains the number is not readable anymore.
The cardboard box that the UMIK-1 came in has a serial number sticker on the outside. If you didn't save the box, then you should have a copy of the invoice for the purchase, which may have the serial number. Otherwise, contact the vendor--they will have the serial number.

What calibration file have you been using?
post #22093 of 22105 Old 03-25-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
The cardboard box that the UMIK-1 came in has a serial number sticker on the outside. If you didn't save the box, then you should have a copy of the invoice for the purchase, which may have the serial number. Otherwise, contact the vendor--they will have the serial number.

I used to have older mic those black big ones. Finally found the box and serial number on it as well . Thx Jerry. Time to download and see if that makes a difference. Markus did point out to use the calibration file. May be that's what's needed to get the high frequencies working.
AustinJerry likes this.
post #22094 of 22105 Old 03-25-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:

So after using the calibration, problem solved. Please note that I didn't take out any treatment.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C HF FIxed.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	2048657  
post #22095 of 22105 Old 03-25-2017, 03:39 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
So after using the calibration, problem solved. Please note that I didn't take out any treatment.

Now, that was easy!
post #22096 of 22105 Old 03-25-2017, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

I am just trying to get experiance here.......soo, is that JUST a measurement of what is happening or is that how you run it all the time.

IE, did you EQ it to get that response ? Or that your starting point, and you will EQ from there ?

Link to budget Home Theater build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...i-version.html
post #22097 of 22105 Old 03-25-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Now, that was easy!
. Not sure about the easy part but sure did feel great. Goes to show that one should not ignore any weird behavior. If I had left it as is, I would have used the wrong file in Dirac as well. Now that its correct file, things got better. In fact, if you remember my post a few days back about how to fix the FR, you advised to move speakers. I couldn't move speakers but I moved MLP 10" forward and that made a good improvement. I already had a good sub response (2 in room) but after moving seat 10" forward, I got what I can the best response I have ever had. Now I didn't take subs reading in REW but when I did the 9 points calibration, the average response looked better than I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
I am just trying to get experiance here.......soo, is that JUST a measurement of what is happening or is that how you run it all the time.

IE, did you EQ it to get that response ? Or that your starting point, and you will EQ from there ?
Not sure I follow your question. If you read from previous page, you'll see that the issue I had was with higher frequency falling off. After trial and error and with help from Jerry and Markus, we finally figured out that it was the wrong calibration file I was using. High FR was also falling when I didn't use any calibration file. So based on my recent experience, I'd say that its very important to use the calibration file (and the right one). It impacts heavily over 14K. Under 14K, it was the same result with or without the file.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sub Response.PNG
Views:	112
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	2048961  
post #22098 of 22105 Old 03-25-2017, 10:05 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
. Not sure about the easy part but sure did feel great. Goes to show that one should not ignore any weird behavior. If I had left it as is, I would have used the wrong file in Dirac as well. Now that its correct file, things got better. In fact, if you remember my post a few days back about how to fix the FR, you advised to move speakers. I couldn't move speakers but I moved MLP 10" forward and that made a good improvement. I already had a good sub response (2 in room) but after moving seat 10" forward, I got what I can the best response I have ever had. Now I didn't take subs reading in REW but when I did the 9 points calibration, the average response looked better than I expected.

The "before" measurement looks pretty good. I look at the measurement in relationship to the target, looking for where the measurement is above, and where it is below, the target. Measurement points below the target are harder to correct, with 10dB as the maximum correction possible. Your measurement is above the target, so correction is actually quite easy. Just hit the Optimize button and show us the results. I think you will be pleased.

Or better yet, post your Diract project file so that we can download it and look at it ourselves.
post #22099 of 22105 Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Not sure I follow your question. If you read from previous page, you'll see that the issue I had was with higher frequency falling off. After trial and error and with help from Jerry and Markus, we finally figured out that it was the wrong calibration file I was using. High FR was also falling when I didn't use any calibration file. So based on my recent experience, I'd say that its very important to use the calibration file (and the right one). It impacts heavily over 14K. Under 14K, it was the same result with or without the file.
Now that its more of a Dirac related conversation, should we move to 88a thread? See you there.
post #22100 of 22105 Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 1657
Excuse my question please, does it matter what versions of REW to use, I see there are three to choose from for Windows, I have two laptops, Windows 10 and 8.1, I'd like to use both. Is there a specific (version) one I should download for each different laptop, I have Java 8 installed on both. I don't need the third option allowing multiple instances. Thanks for your patience with my question.
post #22101 of 22105 Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Excuse my question please, does it matter what versions of REW to use, I see there are three to choose from for Windows, I have two laptops, Windows 10 and 8.1, I'd like to use both. Is there a specific (version) one I should download for each different laptop, I have Java 8 installed on both. I don't need the third option allowing multiple instances. Thanks for your patience with my question.
I don't think it matters in the least, as long as REW has Java to work with. FWIW, I typically download the version with the single Java instance.
post #22102 of 22105 Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM

Quote:
The "before" measurement looks pretty good. I look at the measurement in relationship to the target, looking for where the measurement is above, and where it is below, the target. Measurement points below the target are harder to correct, with 10dB as the maximum correction possible. Your measurement is above the target, so correction is actually quite easy. Just hit the Optimize button and show us the results. I think you will be pleased.

Or better yet, post your Diract project file so that we can download it and look at it ourselves.
I posted in 88a thread with link to project file but I made a small change in the custom curve. Basically added a 3dB at 50Hz. The rest is same. Here is the final output of C. L/R are good as well but C came out the best. Now next step is to integrate the Mid bass sub at NF.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C corrected.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	2050753  
post #22103 of 22105 Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 1657
Quote:
I don't think it matters in the least, as long as REW has Java to work with. FWIW, I typically download the version with the single Java instance.
Thanks Jerry, I confirmed your answer and it really doesn't matter, I have the first one listed on my Windows 10 and the second on my 8.1 and according to "about REW" they are the same thing, running JRE 1.8.0_102 32 bit on Windows 10 and the same configuration on Windows 8.1, so either the first or second option will work just fine with the single instance on both laptops.

So for anyone that might be confused with which to download (like myself) either of the first two options will work if you have Java 7 or 8 and not wanting to run multiple instances, if you do, the third seems like the appropriate option. Thanks Jerry.......
post #22104 of 22105 Old Today, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Suggestions; left, right, and 2 subs post dirac
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tesarac2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	2052281  
post #22105 of 22105 Old Today, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy1 View Post
Suggestions; left, right, and 2 subs post dirac
Set vertical axis to 5db increments and reset horizontal axis to measure 15db-300db at 450ms.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page