Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 739 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1873Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #22141 of 22150 Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM
Senior Member
 
mjmcmahon67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 61
No, that's correct - I had to go through and play with it a bit to get things to align up properly. Labeling becomes even more critical when doing this kind of work, otherwise you wind up chasing your tail.

I'm going to take a break and watch a movie before trying to tackle the sub distance tweak.

PJ - Sony VPLHW45ES / Screen - EliteScreens 120" CineGrey / BD - Sony BDP-S5100 / AVR - Yamaha RX-A3030
Speakers - B&W 683S2/ HTM61S2 / 685 Surrounds / Fluance Signature Bi-polar Rear Surrounds/ PSA S1500 & XS15se subs
mjmcmahon67 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22142 of 22150 Old Today, 07:51 AM
Senior Member
 
mjmcmahon67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Can someone check my understanding of sub distance tweak procedure, please?

Take a total of 3 measurements:

Center + Sub (using HDMI 1 3)
Center with subs disconnected (using HDMI 1 3)
Subs with Center disconnected (using HDMI 1 3)

Yamaha should be set to 'Straight' to disable any PEQ

Thanks!

Mike

PJ - Sony VPLHW45ES / Screen - EliteScreens 120" CineGrey / BD - Sony BDP-S5100 / AVR - Yamaha RX-A3030
Speakers - B&W 683S2/ HTM61S2 / 685 Surrounds / Fluance Signature Bi-polar Rear Surrounds/ PSA S1500 & XS15se subs
mjmcmahon67 is online now  
post #22143 of 22150 Old Today, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 7,919
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked: 1159
Nope, that's for selecting the crossover point.
Sub distance is center (if movies are your main diet) or L/R (if music is primary) and sub(s) at different distances as set in your AVR (start with differences of at least a foot). After several runs, you'll see a trend that gets you the flattest response at the crossover point.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
For most of the time, the here and now is neither now nor here. Graham Swift
LastButNotLeast is offline  
 
post #22144 of 22150 Old Today, 08:04 AM
Senior Member
 
mjmcmahon67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Thanks Michael - that might answer my question about whether a 100Hz crossover would be better for the Center as well, though.

PJ - Sony VPLHW45ES / Screen - EliteScreens 120" CineGrey / BD - Sony BDP-S5100 / AVR - Yamaha RX-A3030
Speakers - B&W 683S2/ HTM61S2 / 685 Surrounds / Fluance Signature Bi-polar Rear Surrounds/ PSA S1500 & XS15se subs
mjmcmahon67 is online now  
post #22145 of 22150 Old Today, 08:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Wall, NJ
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 113
When I am taking measurements my headroom is about 42dB. What do I adjust to get within the appropriate range?

Yamaha CX-A5100, Emotiva XPA-7 gen3, JTR Orbit Shifter LFU, LCR DIYSG Fusion 15, Rear Sur. Tannoy 802's, Atmos Micca M-8C, TV LG 65UH8500
David Varner is online now  
post #22146 of 22150 Old Today, 09:37 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 15,460
Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6905 Post(s)
Liked: 3834
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Varner View Post
When I am taking measurements my headroom is about 42dB. What do I adjust to get within the appropriate range?

Yamaha CX-A5100, Emotiva XPA-7 gen3, JTR Orbit Shifter LFU, LCR DIYSG Fusion 15, Rear Sur. Tannoy 802's, Atmos Micca M-8C, TV LG 65UH8500
The REW measurement level is typically -12dBFS. To establish the desired headroom, place the mic in the MLP, open the REW SPL meter and the Signal Generator, select Pink Noise subwoofer cal @-12dBFS, play the tone and adjust AVR MV until the REW SPL reads 90dB.

My MV level is typically -11, but since you are using the UMM-6 and a different AVR, your level may be different.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #22147 of 22150 Old Today, 09:43 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 15,460
Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6905 Post(s)
Liked: 3834
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcmahon67 View Post
Can someone check my understanding of sub distance tweak procedure, please?

Take a total of 3 measurements:

Center + Sub (using HDMI 1 3)
Center with subs disconnected (using HDMI 1 3)
Subs with Center disconnected (using HDMI 1 3)

Yamaha should be set to 'Straight' to disable any PEQ

Thanks!

Mike
Mike, you arrived at this from reading the procedure I linked?

1. Measure subs+center.
2. Adjust the combined distance for the subs. Try adding 5'.
3. Re-measure.
4. Looks worse? Lower to 4' and re-measure.
5. Still looks worse? Lower to 3' and re-measure.
6. Repeat until the distance results in the smoothest response.

This is actually quite easy.

Last edited by AustinJerry; Today at 09:50 AM.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #22148 of 22150 Old Today, 10:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Wall, NJ
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
The REW measurement level is typically -12dBFS. To establish the desired headroom, place the mic in the MLP, open the REW SPL meter and the Signal Generator, select Pink Noise subwoofer cal @-12dBFS, play the tone and adjust AVR MV until the REW SPL reads 90dB.

My MV level is typically -11, but since you are using the UMM-6 and a different AVR, your level may be different.
I have done that and on my AVR -17mv is where i reach 90dB. I ran another measurement and in the spectorgram I am maxing at 107dB. I think the issue is with my windows properties mic volume. After doing the tests we did before for John and making changes to the mic volume. I'm not sure where to leave it now.

I see at 0% mic volume I have 31.4dB headroom and at 100% mic volume I have 2.4dB headroom.

Where should I leave the mic volume for taking measurements?
David Varner is online now  
post #22149 of 22150 Old Today, 10:39 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 15,460
Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6905 Post(s)
Liked: 3834
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Varner View Post
I have done that and on my AVR -17mv is where i reach 90dB. I ran another measurement and in the spectorgram I am maxing at 107dB. I think the issue is with my windows properties mic volume. After doing the tests we did before for John and making changes to the mic volume. I'm not sure where to leave it now.

I see at 0% mic volume I have 31.4dB headroom and at 100% mic volume I have 2.4dB headroom.

Where should I leave the mic volume for taking measurements?
We established with John that the Windows setting has no effect on the dB output of REW measurements. So the "correct" setting is one that does not produce clipping during the measurement (too high), or results in a warning that the level is too low. Anywhere in between is perfectly acceptable, and makes no difference in the measurements. Typically, the measurement should have 10-20dB headroom. Time to pick a setting and move on.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #22150 of 22150 Old Today, 10:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Wall, NJ
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
We established with John that the Windows setting has no effect on the dB output of REW measurements. So the "correct" setting is one that does not produce clipping during the measurement (too high), or results in a warning that the level is too low. Anywhere in between is perfectly acceptable, and makes no difference in the measurements. Typically, the measurement should have 10-20dB headroom. Time to pick a setting and move on.
I realized that but now I'm talking about headroom not dB output in REW. Where to leave the mic volume was my original question that was never answered.

But now you have answered it. Thanks


Yamaha CX-A5100, Emotiva XPA-7 gen3, JTR Orbit Shifter LFU, LCR DIYSG Fusion 15, Rear Sur. Tannoy 802's, Atmos Micca M-8C, TV LG 65UH8500
David Varner is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off