Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 747 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1949Likes

post #22381 of 22398 Old Today, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1598 Post(s)
Liked: 1211
So let's see some graphs!

BTW, what are you going to use to eq the subs?
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
For most of the time, the here and now is neither now nor here. Graham Swift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22382 of 22398 Old Today, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 882
I'm trying to import the REW .txt file into my MiniDSP balanced 2x4. Each time I try I get this message: Your biquad in your input file is not correctly formatted.

I'm using the 2waySubAdv plug in.

Any thoughts?

My Setup | FS: Nothing right now

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #22383 of 22398 Old Today, 10:21 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7008 Post(s)
Liked: 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
I'm trying to import the REW .txt file into my MiniDSP balanced 2x4. Each time I try I get this message: Your biquad in your input file is not correctly formatted.

I'm using the 2waySubAdv plug in.

Any thoughts?
As long as you select the 2x4 in the REW EQ tool prior to saving the .TXT file, it should work just fine. I do this frequently. Otherwise, I have no insight as to what might be happening.

post #22384 of 22398 Old Today, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
As long as you select the 2x4 in the REW EQ tool prior to saving the .TXT file, it should work just fine. I do this frequently. Otherwise, I have no insight as to what might be happening.
Here is the REW screen where I'm exporting the values to a file:

Here is what the text file with the EQ values looks like....

Filter Settings file

Room EQ V5.19
Dated: Apr 24, 2017 1:31:02 PM

Notes:

Equaliser: MiniDSP
XT32 actually off
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 66.5 Hz Gain -7.0 dB Q 3.09
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 50.8 Hz Gain -11.1 dB Q 2.78
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 36.1 Hz Gain -14.3 dB Q 3.26
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 23.4 Hz Gain -6.3 dB Q 9.93
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 17.9 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 2.92
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 16.4 Hz Gain -4.1 dB Q 2.00

Here is the error message:

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #22385 of 22398 Old Today, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2710 Post(s)
Liked: 2996
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
So let's see some graphs!

BTW, what are you going to use to eq the subs?
Michael
Don't receive my new subs until later this week so getting graphs that mean anything is going to have to wait. Because I now have REW setup with my receiver so that my subs will play the REW test tones, I will be ready to start EQing them after they are installed.

My Yamaha RX-A3060 has EQ subwoofer adjustments available for 4 bands for each sub. After I run a sweep in REW and identify the peaks and valleys in my room curve, I will manually adjust the subs’ EQ with the 3060. After that, I’ll run more sweeps and make more adjustments until the curve flattens out satisfactorily.

I haven’t given up on getting to the bottom of setting up REW for Mac OS to show discrete channels, one for each of my speakers. I’m not there yet but plan to keep trying to find a way to do it. I assume I wouldn’t need a MiniDSP 2X4 to do this. Is this right?

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
post #22386 of 22398 Old Today, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Here is the REW screen where I'm exporting the values to a file:

Here is what the text file with the EQ values looks like....

Filter Settings file

Room EQ V5.19
Dated: Apr 24, 2017 1:31:02 PM

Notes:

Equaliser: MiniDSP
XT32 actually off
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 66.5 Hz Gain -7.0 dB Q 3.09
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 50.8 Hz Gain -11.1 dB Q 2.78
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 36.1 Hz Gain -14.3 dB Q 3.26
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 23.4 Hz Gain -6.3 dB Q 9.93
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 17.9 Hz Gain 6.0 dB Q 2.92
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 16.4 Hz Gain -4.1 dB Q 2.00

Here is the error message:

In the REW EQ screen you need to select "save filter coefficients to file" NOT "export filter settings as text". The resulting text file is very different.
Regards, Mike.
Marc Alexander likes this.
post #22387 of 22398 Old Today, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_mike View Post
In the REW EQ screen you need to select "save filter coefficients to file" NOT "export filter settings as text". The resulting text file is very different.
Regards, Mike.
Boom goes the dynamite!

Thank you kind sir!

post #22388 of 22398 Old Today, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
The good news, though, is that REW will send its test signals to all of my speakers.
What mode is your processor set to for the HDMI input? You may need to experiment with the mode to make multi-channel selection available.
post #22389 of 22398 Old Today, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked: 1156
Quote:
Don't receive my new subs until later this week so getting graphs that mean anything is going to have to wait. Because I now have REW setup with my receiver so that my subs will play the REW test tones, I will be ready to start EQing them after they are installed.

My Yamaha RX-A3060 has EQ subwoofer adjustments available for 4 bands for each sub. After I run a sweep in REW and identify the peaks and valleys in my room curve, I will manually adjust the subs’ EQ with the 3060. After that, I’ll run more sweeps and make more adjustments until the curve flattens out satisfactorily.

I haven’t given up on getting to the bottom of setting up REW for Mac OS to show discrete channels, one for each of my speakers. I’m not there yet but plan to keep trying to find a way to do it. I assume I wouldn’t need a MiniDSP 2X4 to do this. Is this right?
Correct, you do not need a MiniDSP. You once you have a sweep you can have REW generate a generic EQ text file for you which will help get you started with how to set the Yamaha PEQ filters. At least that is how I go about it.

Even if you never get it working where you can select the LFE channel individually as long as you can send sweeps through L&R you are fine. You can just raise the crossover to see a fuller sweep of the sub's response at the MLP.
post #22390 of 22398 Old Today, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPM View Post
What mode is your processor set to for the HDMI input? You may need to experiment with the mode to make multi-channel selection available.
Thanks, I'll check it out the next time I hookup REW via an HDMI cable.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
post #22391 of 22398 Old Today, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 3817 Post(s)
Liked: 1360
Quote:
Jerry -- I found that earlier today but it doesn't apply to my version of REW: I am running REW V5.19 Beta 4. Despite what the caveat says, I could find no dialog box for multichannel output in the Measure dialog. The good news, though, is that REW will send its test signals to all of my speakers. It works the same way, whether I use AirPlay or an HDMI cable to connect my MBP to my receiver. Thanks for trying to help anyway.
Don't use AirPlay. Plenty of things can go wrong that way. Use HDMI instead.

Your Mac has several audio inputs and outputs. What did you select as audio output in REW preferences?

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole

Last edited by markus767; Today at 01:49 PM.
post #22392 of 22398 Old Today, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Don't use AirPlay. Plenty of things can go wrong that way. Use HDMI instead.

Your Mac has several audio inputs and outputs. What did you select as audio output in REW preferences?
Markus -- Thanks for the advice. Although I was intrigued by AirPlay and experimented with it, I shifted to HDMI and have been using it most of the time lately. I haven't had a chance to experiment anymore with REW and my receiver today but will do so later today or tomorrow. Thank you for weighing in on my problem.

When I have connected my MBP to my receiver (a Yamaha RX-A3060) with an HDMI cable, should it show up as an output choice in the Sound settings for my MBP or do I have do something in REW first?

post #22393 of 22398 Old Today, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I have connected my MBP to my receiver (a Yamaha RX-A3060) with an HDMI cable, should it show up as an output choice in the Sound settings for my MBP or do I have do something in REW first?
You should see your AVR (or projector/TV) in both (Audio MIDI Setup app and REW).

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #22394 of 22398 Old Today, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
You should see your AVR (or projector/TV) in both (Audio MIDI Setup app and REW).
Markus -- OK will check it out. Where can I find the "Audio MIDI setup app?" I saw it referred to in the REW for Mac tutorial but neither understood what it was nor where to find it.

post #22395 of 22398 Old Today, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Markus -- OK will check it out. Where can I find the "Audio MIDI setup app?" I saw it referred to in the REW for Mac tutorial but neither understood what it was nor where to find it.
Applications > Utilities

Markus

post #22396 of 22398 Old Today, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Thank you everyone! It's so much clearer now. I had previously been using impulse response overlays but I thought the delay/distance display had eliminated the need… an Easy Button.
I have made a change for the next beta so that when using the acoustic timing reference the delay figure will be taken based on the start of the impulse response instead of the peak if the peak is more than 1 ms later. That may give better results when measuring subwoofers.
post #22397 of 22398 Old Today, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked: 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPM View Post
I have made a change for the next beta so that when using the acoustic timing reference the delay figure will be taken based on the start of the impulse response instead of the peak if the peak is more than 1 ms later. That may give better results when measuring subwoofers.
Thanks John!
post #22398 of 22398 Old Today, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I doubt the 96Khz means much for the sub channel. The 2x4HD is limited to 2v out, while the 2x4 balanced has switchable 2v or 4v. So you need to assess the voltage output that will be required by your subs, and whether the placement of the subs in the room will require a delay greater than 7.5ms, which is the 2x4's limit. As for more plug-in's, you only need one, the Advanced 4-Way.
This is the Achilles heel of these units. I encourage anyone who has the time to shoot them a email about raising this limit, Ive sent quite a few. I get a canned answer every time. They may just roll there eyes every time they see its me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page