Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 765 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2102Likes

post #22921 of 22933 Old Today, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I wouldn't blame yourself for anything. There is a lot more going on with an Audyssey calibration that the simple alignment and PEQ that can be done with the MiniDSP can never achieve, IMO. I use a 2x4 only to time-align four subs and consolidate all subs onto one channel, but I never found that using the EQ capabilities of the 2x4 came anywhere close to the job that either Audyssey (and now Dirac Live) does with calibrating the sub channel.

Well I will whole heartedly agree with you. I guess since I have the 2 subs plugged into the 2 different subwoofer outs, in my case Audyssey is just doing the phase, time alignment, and gain matching right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22922 of 22933 Old Today, 08:51 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 7158 Post(s)
Liked: 3994
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Well I will whole heartedly agree with you. I guess since I have the 2 subs plugged into the 2 different subwoofer outs, in my case Audyssey is just doing the phase, time alignment, and gain matching right?
Exactly! And providing much better filters in the low end than MCACC. A clear winner.
post #22923 of 22933 Old Today, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Exactly! And providing much better filters in the low end than MCACC. A clear winner.

I wish you could have seen my face after I ran an REW sweep last night following my Audyssey calibration. That was a pretty big smile. I was so surprised. So many times I've done things with the expectations that I would run the sweep and it would look great, only to have constant issues due to my room. I was not expecting the Audyssey calibration to result in such good results. Even better, the actual sound is much much improved. I reached good looking FRs often to have the actual sound be horrible. I realize that was due to the FR not telling the whole story, and was further exposed in my waterfall graphs which showed heavy ringing in the under 25Hz range, but even so, it sounds so much better now.

Now I'm trying to figure out why, on my Xbox One, which I pass my Comcast Box through, the new Dolby Atmos capability is seeming not to work well. My Kinect Calibration keeps failing and I cant figure out why? A new mystery to track down, but not relevant to this thread.

I want to thank you a lot @AustinJerry . You've helped me and so many others here. You really do embody what the forum is meant to accomplish. Hats off to you man.
AustinJerry likes this.

post #22924 of 22933 Old Today, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked: 1304
Quote:
Nice results. Not surprised at all that Audyssey is doing a better job than MCACC.
Actually, a $1400 AVR is doing a better job than a $500 AVR.
Great results, nonetheless.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: Getting Started With REW: A Step-by-Step Guide
post #22925 of 22933 Old Today, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2079 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
@Markus767

@AustinJerry

Any tips for positioning my new boom mic stand when I get it tomorrow? I have read the suggestions in the Audyssey FAQ but my scenario is quite atypical so I'm wondering if I need to keep the mic well clear of the mattress and whether I should leave the pillows in place or not.

Also, whether I should keep the bed in its slight incline I use for listening or just set it flat to keep it out of the way.

Thanks in advance
I also have a setup in my bedroom consisting of a 5.1 speaker array and an Audyssey XT32 AVR (Denon 4311). I start by lying down on the bed in my normal listening position, which is with several pillows propped up against the headboard. I carefully measure the height of my ears and adjust the boom mic stand so that the tip of the mic is exactly at the measured ear height. I place the mic no closer than 12" from the headboard, and cover the headboard with a soft material to prevent reflections. That is how I determine the first measurement point--12" from the headboard at ear height. I then mark points 12" to the left and right, 12" forward, and 12" left and right of the forward spot. This results in an additional five mic positions for a total of six. Add two more mic positions somewhere inside to the rectangle determined by the first six positions, and you now have eight measuring positions in a rather "close" arrangement, which is appropriate for a single listener not concerned with uniformity across multiple listening positions. Remove the pillows when taking the measurements.

I don't mean to be insensitive about your medical condition, but if you are not able to listen while sitting in an upright position, I would still keep the mic at least 12" above the matrass, and 12" from the headboard. And, of course, if you can position your MLP to be in the center of the speaker setup, rather than off to the left or right, then imaging will be better.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Since I don't have a headboard I guess I'll remove the pillows and measure at the MLP but with 12 inches between mic tip and mattress.

Do you think I should leave the bed in the slight incline I use for listening or keep it completely flat? It has a 2 way adjustable base I have programmed a 'favorite' preset into for consistency and ease of use.

Funny thing is if I was to sit in a chair directly left of the MLP I would be centered with the fronts and the side surrounds but my back pain forces me to lay down if I am to actually enjoy the movie. And putting the bed in the middle of the room would severely limit usable floor space.

However, from a subjective point of view, SQ and speaker FR measures before EQ are actually quite good aside from the bass region in some areas. So, it doesn't sound as compromised as the pictures would suggest, especially my sub response after MiniDSP sub PEQ.

Seeing Citsur's results with Audyssey XT32 are quite encouraging, especially considering how much worse it was with his Pioneer and MiniDSP alone.
post #22926 of 22933 Old Today, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2079 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Quote:
Nice results. Not surprised at all that Audyssey is doing a better job than MCACC.
Michael
True, but I'm willing to bet a $1400 Yamaha would not come close in the bass region.
post #22927 of 22933 Old Today, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Michael

True. Keep in mind that $500 AVR had MCACC Standard. Audyssey XT32 is more comparable to MCACC Pro, which is in their more experience pro AVRs.
post #22928 of 22933 Old Today, 09:46 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 7158 Post(s)
Liked: 3994
Quote:
Michael
Michael, the improvement is likely due to superior technology, not $900. I have never been a fan of MCACC.
post #22929 of 22933 Old Today, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

$900 will buy you a lot of superior technology.
Michael

Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
post #22930 of 22933 Old Today, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hello,
just for the fun of it which one of those 2 places would you choose for your only one sub? The red or the blue?
WAF has reached her limits after she agreed to let me put 19 panels for bass trap and first reflexions treatment. So I can't ask more than one sub and only two choices where to place it.
(no smoothing)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 places only.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	2162186  

My system 5.1 :
ROTEL RSX-1562 /Fronts: B & W 804 D2 bi-amplified; surround : B&W 704 and center B&W HTM4d2/sub SVS PC 2000 /TV Samsung UN55ES8000
/BD player Cambridge CXU/ set-top (cable box) rented from cable co.
Bis Audio cables and power bar from the wall to the receiver
My room:15'4" x 11' 6" x 7'6" tv near the center of the long side wall
post #22931 of 22933 Old Today, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargateOne View Post
Hello,
just for the fun of it which one of those 2 places would you choose for your only one sub? The red or the blue?
Can you rescale that so that each division is 5dB? That would make them more comparable to other graphs posted here.
post #22932 of 22933 Old Today, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
WAF has reached her limits after she agreed to let me put 19 panels for bass trap and first reflexions treatment.
I would go for two subs and no panels.
Michael

post #22933 of 22933 Old Today, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3904 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
Quote:
Hello,
WAF has reached her limits after she agreed to let me put 19 panels for bass trap and first reflexions treatment. So I can't ask more than one sub and only two choices where to place it.
(no smoothing)
Which response is better for equalization? Look at the excess phase group delay.
How does the response vary with mic location? Do multiple measurements within a virtual cube with an edge length of at least 1.5ft.
What's the intended crossover frequency? Look at the frequency response of your satellite speakers.
Upload your .mdat to Dropbox or similar.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole

Last edited by markus767; Today at 11:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew