Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 775 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2172Likes

Old 06-23-2017, 07:03 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7301 Post(s)
Liked: 4065
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
I read the REW guide and I'm curious what a "bad" (audible) distortion level would be?

The guide says: There are differing opinions regarding “acceptable” levels of distortion.

What is the general range and what is a universally agreed upon range. For example 10% is universally agreed upon (although likely facetious response)

Also, is there anyway to test with "all speakers driven"? With 9 channels running that's when I'm likely to get a severe power dip in my fronts.
Acceptable levels of distortion also depend on frequency. A 10% distortion at 1000Hz would probably be more noticeable than 10% at 20Hz.

Why would you want to measure all speakers driven? This would not happen often listening to real-world content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2017, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Acceptable levels of distortion also depend on frequency. A 10% distortion at 1000Hz would probably be more noticeable than 10% at 20Hz.

Why would you want to measure all speakers driven? This would not happen often listening to real-world content.
Good point. Perhaps most driven. It's likely the front 3 will be driven simultaneously then ATMOS upmixed generally adds a touch to those tracks. If the surrounds are running there's at least 2 more. So I think 7 of 9 (star trek voyager reference) could reasonably be running. I think enough to cut the wattage running to my front 3.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...iew-test-bench

I can't think functionally how to test something like this. I would need to run all of the speakers and then test in a different room

-------------

I'll look to see what levels of distortion debates I can find.

Marantz 7010 for 7.2.4
2 x Paradigm Prestige 75F's
1 x Paradigm Prestige 45C
8 x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
Sub 2 x Rythmik LVX12's
TV: LG 65B6
Old 06-23-2017, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Ok took my first shot at this =) Pretty sure I probably screwed some things up haha. Following the Faq when setting up the volume I went up a little over 90db since my noise floor was a little over 50db. I am a little confused the faq says pick center channel then it says use the sub cal, which uses the sub, so why choose center channel?? I tried both sub cal and speaker cal and got 93db speaker / 95db sub based on my volume with Audyssey off and 92/92 with it on. I think I may have run out of headroom when measuring the sub , the number turned red and read 5db. Looking at my results there is a large dip between around 110db on my rear speakers, they are di/bipoles though, not sure if that has something to do with it. If anyone wouldnt mind taking a look at my results and giving me some pointers on where to go from here I would appreciate it!

I ran two runs , one without Audyssey on and one with it on reference which is what I usually use.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjucn31mnc...sults.zip?dl=0

Last edited by grendelrt; 06-23-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:05 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
Ok took my first shot at this =) Pretty sure I probably screwed some things up haha. Following the Faq when setting up the volume I went up a little over 90db since my noise floor was a little over 50db. I am a little confused the faq says pick center channel then it says use the sub cal, which uses the sub, so why choose center channel?? I tried both sub cal and speaker cal and got 93db speaker / 95db sub based on my volume with Audyssey off and 92/92 with it on. I think I may have run out of headroom when measuring the sub , the number turned red and read 5db. Looking at my results there is a large dip between around 110db on my rear speakers, they are di/bipoles though, not sure if that has something to do with it. If anyone wouldnt mind taking a look at my results and giving me some pointers on where to go from here I would appreciate it!

I ran two runs , one without Audyssey on and one with it on reference which is what I usually use.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjucn31mnc...sults.zip?dl=0
The only thing I notice is that bass response seems to fall off rapidly below 40Hz, assuming that the left and right speaker measurements include the sub(s) as well. Otherwise, I don't see major issues with frequency response.

The impulse response shows quite a few early reflections. The waterfall shows a ringing issue at 50Hz in the left channel.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
The only thing I notice is that bass response seems to fall off rapidly below 40Hz, assuming that the left and right speaker measurements include the sub(s) as well. Otherwise, I don't see major issues with frequency response.

The impulse response shows quite a few early reflections. The waterfall shows a ringing issue at 50Hz in the left channel.
Thanks Jerry. I would assume the sub was used based on the cross over settings on the receiver. I am running two SVS SB12-NSD in a 18x15 room, I thought it was overkill so that kinda sucks to hear haha. Can you explain the ringing issue? Would I be able to correct something like that with the audyssey app?
Old 06-23-2017, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked: 1769
I am a little confused the faq says pick center channel then it says use the sub cal, which uses the sub, so why choose center channel??

I'd like to hear this answered??????
Old 06-23-2017, 05:37 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
I am a little confused the faq says pick center channel then it says use the sub cal, which uses the sub, so why choose center channel??

I'd like to hear this answered??????
The difference between the sub cal and the speaker cal is the range of frequencies used in the sweep. If you choose the center channel, the sub is included by virtue of bass management. You want the measurement to include frequencies that would be reproduced by the sub channel as well, thus the sub cal is used. Make sense?
ahblaza likes this.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:40 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Thanks Jerry. I would assume the sub was used based on the cross over settings on the receiver. I am running two SVS SB12-NSD in a 18x15 room, I thought it was overkill so that kinda sucks to hear haha. Can you explain the ringing issue? Would I be able to correct something like that with the audyssey app?
Bass ringing is normally addressed by room treatments, so I doubt that the Audyssey app would make much of a difference. If you generate the waterfall graph for the left channel, you will see a ridge in the graph that is centered around 50Hz that extends from the bottom of the graph to almost the top. That is the evidence of ringing.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Bass ringing is normally addressed by room treatments, so I doubt that the Audyssey app would make much of a difference. If you generate the waterfall graph for the left channel, you will see a ridge in the graph that is centered around 50Hz that extends from the bottom of the graph to almost the top. That is the evidence of ringing.
Thanks again, I do have treatments in the room, just havent done bass traps yet, guess this gives me a good reason to!
Old 06-23-2017, 06:00 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Thanks again, I do have treatments in the room, just havent done bass traps yet, guess this gives me a good reason to!
You should also asssess the effectiveness/positioning of the existing treatments, based on the reflections shown in the ETC measurements.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Hey guys, I can take sub measurements by picking output#4 .Front left is #1 and front right is #2 . However, when I pick #3 I get both left and right speakers running instead of center channel. How can I fix this issue?

I am using HDMI connection and ASIO.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3992 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogunbaba View Post
Hey guys, I can take sub measurements by picking output#4 .Front left is #1 and front right is #2 . However, when I pick #3 I get both left and right speakers running instead of center channel. How can I fix this issue?

I am using HDMI connection and ASIO.
Your receiver is probably in stereo mode. Switch to multichannel.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Old 06-24-2017, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Hello guys! Need some serious help setting up my mic and REW. This is not a typical usb mic with hdmi connection. Let me say my Rotel 1068 prepro is non hdmi so it will be analog instead. Here is summary if what I have done so far with the connections.

I am using non usb mic....Dayton Emm-6 XLR that connects to the Focusrite 2i2 usb interface, and then that is connected to laptop via usb cable.

Outputs of the focusrite 2i2 both Left and Right are conncted to my Rotel prepro Tuner's inputs Left and Right. So 2 seperate TS/RCA connections. I get sound when playing music from laptop using the focusrite sound card instead of laptops sound card so that part is good.

What I'm confused on is settings for REW....just downloaded latest beta 5.19 and so far I have set preferences to Java and default device for both input and output since I made my default device focusrite soundcard control panel settings.

Now where I think I'm lost is the input/output....output is greyed out, input lets me choose between Right or Left only. So does all this seem right as far as all connections go and settings in REW?

For those of you using external usb device like focusrite.....do you turn your laptop's volume control to max and also the focusrite monitor volume to max as well and just use Rotel's preamp to add more volume.....or should the focusrite volume on device be halfway and up the Master volume on the Rotel prepro?

Once I know 100% I got it all setup correctly, I'm assuming I need to calibrate it...I have analog RS meter for reference.

Again thanks guys and I'm sure I will be asking TOO MANY questions in here. LOL

Theater: Sony 45es, 120 inch 16:9 screen, Panny BDT500, Rotel RMB-1075, Rotel RSP-1068, Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-160M, SVS PB13 x 2, Monster Power Conditioner, GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panasonic 60" plasma, Integra DTR-30.3, Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
Old 06-24-2017, 09:50 AM
** Man of Leisure **

You are asking a lot of questions in a thread dedicated to USB mic's with HDMI connections. Not likely that many will be familiar with the issues you are having. Have you thought about asking for advice in the REW forum on Home Theater Shack?
Old 06-24-2017, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You are asking a lot of questions in a thread dedicated to USB mic's with HDMI connections. Not likely that many will be familiar with the issues you are having. Have you thought about asking for advice in the REW forum on Home Theater Shack?
This was the only REW thread I saw so thats why I posted in this one. I have never been on Home Theater Shack forum before....I will check it out. Thought AVS had all the answers?

Theater: Sony 45es, 120 inch 16:9 screen, Panny BDT500, Rotel RMB-1075, Rotel RSP-1068, Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-160M, SVS PB13 x 2, Monster Power Conditioner, GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panasonic 60" plasma, Integra DTR-30.3, Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
Old 06-24-2017, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I just gave this a go for the first time. I've attached my results an they look hideoous. I took measurements at each of my front 3 seats and at each seat i took measurements of the left, right and then both speakers. My dual subs were enabled for every measurement. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1w05ntxpsj...-2017.zip?dl=0
Old 06-24-2017, 11:12 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
This was the only REW thread I saw so thats why I posted in this one. I have never been on Home Theater Shack forum before....I will check it out. Thought AVS had all the answers?

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/
ereed likes this.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2006 Post(s)
Liked: 1738
Quote:
I have the answers. Should @ereed create a separate thread or can I post the information & screenshots here?
Old 06-24-2017, 02:54 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
I have the answers. Should @ereed create a separate thread or can I post the information & screenshots here?
This thread pertains to USB mic's with HDMI connections. Please communicate with him via PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Even better, they started a thread for anyone else who may be interested:
REW setup using non usb mic and external usb interface.
gwsat and ereed like this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: Getting Started With REW: A Step-by-Step Guide
Old 06-24-2017, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Even better, they started a thread for anyone else who may be interested:
REW setup using non usb mic and external usb interface.
Yeah, that was me! LOL

Old 06-24-2017, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know. You shouldn't have kept it a secret; I'm sure you're not the only one in that situation.
Michael
ereed likes this.

Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Old 06-24-2017, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

beta 6 released:
https://www.avnirvana.com/resources/...-or-java-8.15/

Old 06-24-2017, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 3055 Post(s)
Liked: 3438
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I got an email notification of Beta 6 this afternoon and downloaded and installed it without any problems.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Need some help. Finally got my 2 in ceiling speakers setup and run through Audyssey. Wanted to see how the sweeps look. When I pull up the SPL meter in REW, it just stays at 115db or 140db when I hit go. I've tried 2 different cables and rebooted PC. Nothing working. Any Ideas? FYI I tried to install the beta 6 update and still no dice.

EDIT: Figured it out after an hour of playing. Found Windows 10 Troubleshooter for recording devices. Did that, and turns out the mic was somehow muted! Not sure how, but unmutes, measured, and all looks good! Excited to listen to my 9.2.2/7.2.4 (not sure what it really is lol)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	2204673  
gwsat and unretarded like this.

Last edited by citsur86; Yesterday at 08:30 PM.
Old Today, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Need some help. Finally got my 2 in ceiling speakers setup and run through Audyssey. Wanted to see how the sweeps look. When I pull up the SPL meter in REW, it just stays at 115db or 140db when I hit go. I've tried 2 different cables and rebooted PC. Nothing working. Any Ideas? FYI I tried to install the beta 6 update and still no dice.

EDIT: Figured it out after an hour of playing. Found Windows 10 Troubleshooter for recording devices. Did that, and turns out the mic was somehow muted! Not sure how, but unmutes, measured, and all looks good! Excited to listen to my 9.2.2/7.2.4 (not sure what it really is lol)
What method did you go with to measure the spl on the ceilings? I did atmos test tones with rew umik1, they matched spl with my other speakers with very small adjustment. I know some people swap cables was curious if you went that route or maybe something different.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew