Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 776 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2174Likes
post #23251 of 23257 Unread Yesterday, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1379 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
You can run tops by switching physical lines on the receiver with one of the other speakers like surrounds but I didn't put that effort in. I just wanted spl matching so I ran atmos test tones and measured in rew with umik1 against the other speakers, audyssey was spot on with front top levels and my top rears were slightly too low.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I manually went in and tweaked speaker volumes following Audyssey last night based on my own hearing and preference. I tend to like the surrounds and rear surrounds louder than Audyssey sets them. I boosted the Tops gently as well. With eyes closed, speaker to speaker, it sounded about even to me when I was done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23252 of 23257 Unread Yesterday, 11:52 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 7309 Post(s)
Liked: 4068
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Yes. They were excessively high and unmoving. Each time I started REW and the SPL meter it would say (and stay static) at 115db, 160db, 130db, etc. I thought the Mic was broken so I grabbed my Macbook which also has REW installed and configured (though I never use it for taking measurements), and the Mic worked fine. So back to the Windows 10 Laptop. I found online you can troubleshoot Windows Recording Devices and the troubleshooter got to a screen where it says "Fixed - Mic Unmuted". Then everything was fine. Not sure how it got muted in the first place. Definitely spend an hour troubleshooting that last night though. Somehow it being muted cause the high db readings to appear.
Very strange. Let's make sure we remember this in case someone else experiences it. Now let's get busy again...
ahblaza likes this.
post #23253 of 23257 Unread Yesterday, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDawg View Post
I just gave this a go for the first time. I've attached my results an they look hideous.
It helps to apply some smoothing. Click >Graph at top left. Select something like 1/12.

They do not look too bad after that.

Deadwood Atmos theater [HTOM]
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs

post #23254 of 23257 Unread Yesterday, 05:40 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I just gave this a go for the first time. I've attached my results an they look hideoous. I took measurements at each of my front 3 seats and at each seat i took measurements of the left, right and then both speakers. My dual subs were enabled for every measurement. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1w05ntxpsj...-2017.zip?dl=0
First of all, a tip that will make measurements easier to recognize. Rather than identify the measurement by typing in a description in the text box, identify the measurement by using the smaller box at the top (as per the attached example). Why? Because the description will then appear in the Legend, making identification easier.

As for the measurements, the large swing between 70Hz and 100Hz is an issue. What is the crossover? Did you try the sub distance tweak?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tip.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	2205689   Click image for larger version

Name:	CLP Left.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	2205697  
post #23255 of 23257 Unread Yesterday, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Crossover is 80Hz. I must have missed it... what is the sub distance tweak?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
post #23256 of 23257 Unread Yesterday, 08:45 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Crossover is 80Hz. I must have missed it... what is the sub distance tweak?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
The sub distance tweak improves the time alignment between the subs and the mains by adjusting the sub distance parameter, re-measuring frequency response in the crossover region, and repeating until the flattest frequency response is obtained.

The definitive sub distance tweak guide can be found here: Sub Distance Tweak
post #23257 of 23257 Unread Today, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
First of all, a tip that will make measurements easier to recognize. Rather than identify the measurement by typing in a description in the text box, identify the measurement by using the smaller box at the top (as per the attached example).
That's one change I'd like to see made to REW. I would like that text field to appear in the measurement pop-up because sometimes I forget to go back and change it after the measurement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew