Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 782 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2221Likes

post #23431 of 23446 Old 08-14-2017, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Anyone know the settings to graph the frequency/db of content that's playing through the speakers?

“Audio as a hobby is dying, largely by its own hand. As far as the real world is concerned, high-end audio lost its credibility during the 1980s, when it flatly refused to submit to the kind of basic honesty controls (double-blind testing, for example) that had legitimized every other serious scientific endeavor since Pascal. [This refusal] is a source of endless derisive amusement among rational people and of perpetual embarrassment for me” - Gordon Holt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23432 of 23446 Old 08-14-2017, 06:34 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7441 Post(s)
Liked: 4147
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
Anyone know the settings to graph the frequency/db of content that's playing through the speakers?
I believe you are talking about the Real Time Analyzer tool.
post #23433 of 23446 Old 08-14-2017, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I believe you are talking about the Real Time Analyzer tool.
DUH!! Thanks!

“Audio as a hobby is dying, largely by its own hand. As far as the real world is concerned, high-end audio lost its credibility during the 1980s, when it flatly refused to submit to the kind of basic honesty controls (double-blind testing, for example) that had legitimized every other serious scientific endeavor since Pascal. [This refusal] is a source of endless derisive amusement among rational people and of perpetual embarrassment for me” - Gordon Holt

post #23434 of 23446 Old 08-14-2017, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott27 View Post
Is there a new setup guide anywhere, im completely lost. I have Windows and Mac and cant get it to work on either!
first post of thread has a link to setup guide

LG 65" C7 OLED. Oppo 203. Denon 4300. Klipsch RP280af, 260f, 440c, 140AF. HSU 15-mk2. Layer 3 TV, Shield and a Blue Tick Healer

Last edited by bigapp; 08-14-2017 at 07:45 PM.
post #23435 of 23446 Old 08-14-2017, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott27 View Post
Is there a new setup guide anywhere, im completely lost. I have Windows and Mac and cant get it to work on either!
What model Mac do you have?

Click the Apple Menu and press and hold the Option key on the keyboard and select, 'System Information...'.

Highlight the information in the first two lines under 'Hardware Overview:'. Those would be; 'Model Name:' and 'Model Identifier:', and copy-and-paste it into your reply.

Do you have an HDMI adapter that is capable of passing audio over HDMI?
post #23436 of 23446 Old Today, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
First REW measure

I'd like to get some thoughts on my first run of REW. Attached is a FR graph for the FL and FR speakers without Audessey and without any sound absorption other than furniture. I'm a bit taken aback by the loss of response from 3k to 20k. At first, I thought that something was wrong with the tweeters, but all 7 speakers measure with the same general pattern so it's just the house curve. The system is in the living room that itself measures 14'W by 16' deep. MLP is roughly 4' from back wall and 11' from the front speakers. The LR opens up to the dining room and kitchen on the right side but there is a wall that partitions the openings to some degree. Ceilings are vaulted up to roughly 16' at the peak and there is a "display" area below the cathedral peak. There's an floor plan attached that will hopefully clarify this description.

I started down the path of making sound panels to help with slap echo and knowing there's quite of bit of bloated bass but seeing the REW graphs makes me wonder what the best route would be for sound treatment. It seems like I was to absorb as much sound from 20hz to 3khz but is there a way of doing so and not worsen the 3khz+ range? I'm thinking using FSK board would help since it'll reflect 25-50% more 4k+ than the mid's while still providing some mid and bass absorption?

Waterfall spots all seem to decay to 50dB by 300ms for everything over 100hz but decay to 40dB is around 1800ms.
The envelope ETC looks to be a mess too with probably near a 60 peaks above -20.

Hopefully this is enough information to get the ball rolling but I'll be happy to supply more if needed.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FL-FR.jpg (117.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg floorplan.JPG (29.9 KB, 12 views)
post #23437 of 23446 Old Today, 01:17 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven1110 View Post
I'd like to get some thoughts on my first run of REW. Attached is a FR graph for the FL and FR speakers without Audessey and without any sound absorption other than furniture. I'm a bit taken aback by the loss of response from 3k to 20k. At first, I thought that something was wrong with the tweeters, but all 7 speakers measure with the same general pattern so it's just the house curve. The system is in the living room that itself measures 14'W by 16' deep. MLP is roughly 4' from back wall and 11' from the front speakers. The LR opens up to the dining room and kitchen on the right side but there is a wall that partitions the openings to some degree. Ceilings are vaulted up to roughly 16' at the peak and there is a "display" area below the cathedral peak. There's an floor plan attached that will hopefully clarify this description.

I started down the path of making sound panels to help with slap echo and knowing there's quite of bit of bloated bass but seeing the REW graphs makes me wonder what the best route would be for sound treatment. It seems like I was to absorb as much sound from 20hz to 3khz but is there a way of doing so and not worsen the 3khz+ range? I'm thinking using FSK board would help since it'll reflect 25-50% more 4k+ than the mid's while still providing some mid and bass absorption?

Waterfall spots all seem to decay to 50dB by 300ms for everything over 100hz but decay to 40dB is around 1800ms.
The envelope ETC looks to be a mess too with probably near a 60 peaks above -20.

Hopefully this is enough information to get the ball rolling but I'll be happy to supply more if needed.

Thanks!
It would be easier to provide advice if you made the REW measurement file available for download. Also, it would be nice to see whether Audyssey provides any effective boost for the high frequencies. Do you have measurements with Audyssey on?
post #23438 of 23446 Old Today, 01:39 PM

Quote:
It would be easier to provide advice if you made the REW measurement file available for download. Also, it would be nice to see whether Audyssey provides any effective boost for the high frequencies. Do you have measurements with Audyssey on?
I think this will work. They the link, should be a REW folder in Google Drive that all should be able to download from. Unfortunately, my computer crashed as I was saving the file with Audessey but there wasn't much on the top end that was boosted. In general, it boosted the low bass and minimally smoothed out the high bass and midrange.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...UE?usp=sharing
post #23439 of 23446 Old Today, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
I'm a bit taken aback by the loss of response from 3k to 20k.
I'm not entirely certain there isn't a problem with the mic or the mic preamp. What's the hardware used?

Deadwood II Theater
Deadwood Atmos theater [HTOM]
SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4, MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, KEF Ci200QS surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve 115"W x 49"H 2.35 screen
post #23440 of 23446 Old Today, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Quote:
I'm a bit taken aback by the loss of response from 3k to 20k.
I'm not entirely certain there isn't a problem with the mic or the mic preamp. What's the hardware used?
Dell precision m6700 with latest graphics and audio drivers, HDMI out to Aux 1 of Denon x4300h, umik-1 with calibration file.
post #23441 of 23446 Old Today, 03:09 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
I think this will work. They the link, should be a REW folder in Google Drive that all should be able to download from. Unfortunately, my computer crashed as I was saving the file with Audessey but there wasn't much on the top end that was boosted. In general, it boosted the low bass and minimally smoothed out the high bass and midrange.

The Audyssey file won't load. The non-Audyssey file shows a lot of improvement required on the ETC measurement, which is not a surprise if you have no treatments. Overall frequency response is quite choppy. I would like to see what improvements Audyssey provides.

Are you using any subs? Are they included in the measurements? If yes, what is the crossover? Audyssey XT or XT32?
post #23442 of 23446 Old Today, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:

The Audyssey file won't load. The non-Audyssey file shows a lot of improvement required on the ETC measurement, which is not a surprise if you have no treatments. Overall frequency response is quite choppy. I would like to see what improvements Audyssey provides.

Are you using any subs? Are they included in the measurements? If yes, what is the crossover? Audyssey XT or XT32?
Computer crashed as I was saving the audessey file and I didn't realize it was corrupt until after uploading to Drive. Disregard it and I'll replace as time allows. XT32 and used all 8 positions. No sub in my system at the moment.
post #23443 of 23446 Old Today, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Computer crashed as I was saving the audessey file and I didn't realize it was corrupt until after uploading to Drive. Disregard it and I'll replace as time allows. XT32 and used all 8 positions. No sub in my system at the moment.
I noticed that when viewing the REW file, both microphone and sound-card calibration files are shown as your UMIK serial number. Have you applied the Mic Cal file twice by any chance?
Normally only the Mic needs correcting, when using HDMI - no sound-card correction is required.
Regards, Mike.
post #23444 of 23446 Old Today, 04:38 PM

You can disregard the last few posts. After reading through the Umik forums, a common issue is the first time insertion is the USB cable I to the mic takes effort. I had the thought that it didn't seem like it was pushed in all the way but didn't give it the extra muscle to seat it completely in the mic. I'll retake measurements and I'm sure I'll get different results.

Thanks for the initial thoughts and sorry for any inconveniences.
post #23445 of 23446 Old Today, 05:37 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
You can disregard the last few posts. After reading through the Umik forums, a common issue is the first time insertion is the USB cable I to the mic takes effort. I had the thought that it didn't seem like it was pushed in all the way but didn't give it the extra muscle to seat it completely in the mic. I'll retake measurements and I'm sure I'll get different results.

Thanks for the initial thoughts and sorry for any inconveniences.
If the cable is not seated pro[erly, you won't get any signal. It won't cause bad measurements, it will cause no measurements. Don't assume that this is influencing the measurements.

It is important that you answer Mike's question. When using a USB mic, there should be NO sound card calibration file in use. Having something in the sound card box could definitely skew the measurements.
post #23446 of 23446 Old Today, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 688
if I wanted to use rew to test for subwoofer compression at max spl...what would a possible way to use rew for that? in that past I always get errors in rew for headroom but Im thinking thats a mic error. I have windows 7 machine, umik 1 mic. can mic settings be adjusted from -18 to -3 in rew without jeopardizing results? anything else to consider? I want to test from 100db -130db from 10-200hz and yes will wear earplugs, but more concerned with setting up rew properly for such a test scenario using hdmi to marantz 7008 avr.

any ideas on doing this safely at my own risk of course?

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page