Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs - Page 787 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2285Likes

post #23581 of 23602 Old 10-05-2017, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevansoh View Post
While I'm here, I thought I'd ask...

Does anyone else have problems getting HDMI working with ASIO4ALL and Nvidia cards?

I've built two different systems recently with Nvidia cards and cannot get REW working with HDMI.

AMD cards and Intel on board video/audio work fine every time.

Is this a known problem or am I just unlucky?

Thanks,

--J
Hello,
I am way off an expert. I remember that I read somewhere (unfortunatly do not remember where) that not all Nvidia cards works with hdmi and Rew. Nvidia Quadro K600 works fine for me.

My system 5.1 :ROTEL RSX-1562 /Fronts: B & W 804 D2; surround : B&W 704 and center B&W HTM4d2 /sub SVS PC 2000 / TV Samsung UN55ES8000
/BD player Cambridge CXU/ set-top (cable box) rented from cable co. PEQ by nanoAvr-DL Dirac Live between CXU and receiver
Bis Audio cables and power bar from the wall to the receiver
My room:15'4" x 11' 6" x 7'6" tv near the center of the long side wall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23582 of 23602 Old 10-06-2017, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Hi guys,
Been a long time....but I still lurk here. I've been happily enjoying my 11.4.6 Trinnov Altitude system that Curt Hoyt and I calibrated, until I decided to do some measuring to try to tweak the subs for solving some niggling issues outside of Trinnov goodness. One thing led to another, so....

Just downloaded the latest REW build (version 5.19 beta 7, running under Windows 10, ASIO4ALL, etc.) and I have a few questions:
a) For comparing full-range speaker frequency responses, is the norm still to do 1/6th smoothing, or are the newer methods like variable smoothing, psychoacoustic smoothing or ERB getting some favor? Wondering because I did a search on the thread and I've read some comments suggesting that for determining EQ, you might want to use variable smoothing as it focuses correction better above Schroder, roughly speaking. Jerry's guide only mentions to "refer to REW Help". Has any closure come on this? And which method is "closest" to what we hear?

b) If you want to access the overall success of achieving a target curve, such as we'd draw in Dirac (or Trinnov, in my case), what smoothing is closest to determine the overall trend? Reason I'm wondering is that when I did some post-Trinnov full-range plots, with 1/6th or 1/3rd (ugh) smoothing, I have +/- 5 db or so variation in my speaker responses at 100 Hz to maybe 8 kHz, which used to fall within "acceptable" back when. However, that also washes out my implementation of a Harman curve, which is gently descending from about 100 Hz by about 4 db or so until we get to that 8 kHz. I'm wondering how I can best distinguish random variation due to the room from a trend in what I hear...

c) Waterfalls - is the 300 ms for "great" and 450 ms standard for "good" still the norm in practice, and has decay graphs been a more rigorous way to determine if there's ringing? Reason I'm wondering is I have <450 ms ringing at about 60 Hz on my L/R+Subs charts, representing about 15 ms difference between the plot and the decay at 160 ms. Not sure if this is an addressable problem or not, unless I find it's from my mains (meaning bass traps)? I have a pretty good speaker placement for Atmos with a 25-30 degrees placement, so I'm loathe to move the mains.

d) For more severe ringing - my sub response has a funeral pire at 600+ ms at about 40 Hz, which is also a null. Right now I have four corner sub placement, but I may look at switching out to midwall and see if it improves, as well as 1/4 and 3/4 length side positions. Anything I can do otherwise that’s practical there?

e) Distortion - anything I can do about 22% distortion at about 20 to 25 Hz short of giving up on low bass? My sub distortion is 5% or less everywhere else above 30 Hz.

f) Clarity - what the heck is anyone using it for? It sort of looks vaguely like what I'd expect a target curve to look like, but other than that I'm not sure if anyone has a standard response for "music" vs. "speech" clarity to look for

I'm eventually going to tackle SBIR with treatments and IR in general once I decide just how much of a Toolean I am about sidewall reflections, but for now the focus is the subs and getting my tonal balance down before I move onto Group Delay, IR and other goodies.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Misc.: Oppo 103, Oppo 203 UHD player, JRiver
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides and Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 11.4.6

Last edited by sdrucker; 10-06-2017 at 09:20 PM.
post #23583 of 23602 Old 10-07-2017, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
Hi guys,
a) For comparing full-range speaker frequency responses, is the norm still to do 1/6th smoothing, or are the newer methods like variable smoothing, psychoacoustic smoothing or ERB getting some favor? Wondering because I did a search on the thread and I've read some comments suggesting that for determining EQ, you might want to use variable smoothing as it focuses correction better above Schroder, roughly speaking.
It depends what you want to do with the data, REW recommends var for eq purposes though I wouldn't apply full range EQ on the basis of fractional octave smoothing. I don't find REW's frequency dependent window implementation alone v useful for in room measurements so IMV psy is the best option of the smoothing options for full range use if you want to just get a reasonable view of what is going on.

Quote:
Hi guys,
b) If you want to access the overall success of achieving a target curve, such as we'd draw in Dirac (or Trinnov, in my case), what smoothing is closest to determine the overall trend? Reason I'm wondering is that when I did some post-Trinnov full-range plots, with 1/6th or 1/3rd (ugh) smoothing, I have +/- 5 db or so variation in my speaker responses at 100 Hz to maybe 8 kHz, which used to fall within "acceptable" back when. However, that also washes out my implementation of a Harman curve, which is gently descending from about 100 Hz by about 4 db or so until we get to that 8 kHz. I'm wondering how I can best distinguish random variation due to the room from a trend in what I hear...
I'd use psy for this. REW does also now have an option for automated time aligning and vector averaging of multiple measurements which can be used in this situation too (i.e. take n measurements around the listening position and then use the vector averaging to get an overall view)

Quote:
c) Waterfalls - is the 300 ms for "great" and 450 ms standard for "good" still the norm in practice, and has decay graphs been a more rigorous way to determine if there's ringing? Reason I'm wondering is I have <450 ms ringing at about 60 Hz on my L/R+Subs charts, representing about 15 ms difference between the plot and the decay at 160 ms. Not sure if this is an addressable problem or not, unless I find it's from my mains (meaning bass traps)? I have a pretty good speaker placement for Atmos with a 25-30 degrees placement, so I'm loathe to move the mains.
waterfall for modal decay, wavelet spectrogram is useful for a full range view of the direct sound.

Quote:
d) For more severe ringing - my sub response has a funeral pire at 600+ ms at about 40 Hz, which is also a null. Right now I have four corner sub placement, but I may look at switching out to midwall and see if it improves, as well as 1/4 and 3/4 length side positions. Anything I can do otherwise that’s practical there?

e) Distortion - anything I can do about 22% distortion at about 20 to 25 Hz short of giving up on low bass? My sub distortion is 5% or less everywhere else above 30 Hz.
a modal resonance or null or will impact in room distortion data like this so that 22% reading, assuming it is 2nd order, is likely to simply be a function of that 40Hz issue. If you see further spikes at ~15Hz and ~11Hz then you can be quite sure of this. What subs are they? are they really capable of ULF?

Quote:
f) Clarity - what the heck is anyone using it for? It sort of looks vaguely like what I'd expect a target curve to look like, but other than that I'm not sure if anyone has a standard response for "music" vs. "speech" clarity to look for
from what I've read, it's as useful as something like RT60 in a small room, i.e. not very.

Last edited by 3ll3d00d; 10-07-2017 at 07:41 AM.

post #23584 of 23602 Old 10-07-2017, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post

waterfall for modal decay, wavelet spectrogram is useful for a full range view of the direct sound.
I've always found spectrograms easier to read than waterfalls, so my comments are taken more from there than the waterfall as such, but point taken. I'll have to train myself on Jerry's waterfall notes more carefully.

Quote:
a modal resonance or null or will impact in room distortion data like this so that 22% reading, assuming it is 2nd order, is likely to simply be a function of that 40Hz issue. If you see further spikes at ~15Hz and ~11Hz then you can be quite sure of this. What subs are they? are they really capable of ULF?
HSU ULS-15 Mk II, which is a sealed sub, and closely similar to what AustinJerry has in an older version. They're rated by HSU at 20 hz +/- 2 db anechoically in EQ1 mode, and I've read reviews in Audioholics with measurements that have them flat to at least 25 Hz more practically. I'm not a basshead (maybe 60/40 HT vs. music) so I can live with relatively smooth output to 20 Hz ideally.

They're not in the same league as Seatons for <16 Hz ULF, but since I'm using multiples, and I've seen plots from Jerry and Roger Dressler that are smooth < 20 Hz in their rooms with the ULS-15s with a quad system, I'd at least like to get to 20 Hz with clean output at my typical listening volume.

Looks like I'll have to work on that 40 Hz area at a minimum. I do see a slight spike at 15 Hz, but that's well beyond where the sub has useful output. If I can get the null smoothed out I might get the 2nd order benefit, possibly.

Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides and Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 11.4.6
post #23585 of 23602 Old 10-07-2017, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 1416
Quote:
I've always found spectrograms easier to read than waterfalls, so my comments are taken more from there than the waterfall as such, but point taken. I'll have to train myself on Jerry's waterfall notes more carefully.
Think of the spectrogram as looking down on the waterfall; same information, different perspective.
Once you're caught up on FR, you may want to look at the progress being made on TR (tactile response).
The VibSensor Accelerometer Test Thread
Or you might want to quit while you're ahead.
Michael
bmcn and unretarded like this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: Getting Started With REW: A Step-by-Step Guide
post #23586 of 23602 Old 10-08-2017, 01:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Think of the spectrogram as looking down on the waterfall; same information, different perspective.
you can use either but just bear in mind the default configuration for the spectrogram is quite different to the waterfall these days

Quote:
If I can get the null smoothed out I might get the 2nd order benefit, possibly.
here's an example, my room has a big modal peak at ~41Hz

with PEQ only to pull down the peak

using multiple subs (with MSO driven EQ which did not involve a massive PEQ cut)

there were other differences between these two setups but, in either case, the subs were loafing so distortion should not have been an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	after.png
Views:	291
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	2294578   Click image for larger version

Name:	before.png
Views:	282
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	2294580  
post #23587 of 23602 Old 10-08-2017, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
you can use either but just bear in mind the default configuration for the spectrogram is quite different to the waterfall these days
I just find the format of the spectrogram - looking for the height of the plume, and a two-dimensional plot with the ms as the y axis and a heat map for the db level - easier to read. The Fourier configuration is the one you want, correct? It looks a LOT more like the spectrograms I used to generate on older versions of REW (back in 2015) than Wavelet.

The other thing I'm going to do is download MSO...I have one seat of interest to me in my single three-seat row, but I already do a minimum of five measuring positions and often as many as nine on my 72" wide sofa with Trinnov, and have a weighting scheme, so I can work with that from what I've seen of MSO. The later versions of the Altitude support PEQ for the individual subs before arriving at the summated sub response as a step before the Optimizer, so I can run the optimization and get information I can feed into the Altitude. From what I know with the PC-based architecture, there's no limit in practical terms to the number of filters we can use, the degree of attenuation, and Q. Should be fun to test out...

post #23588 of 23602 Old 10-09-2017, 12:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Fourier configuration is the one you want, correct?
yes, actually I just noticed the default settings vary according to the spectrogram type so setting the fourier spectrogram to default will give you something v similar to the default waterfall.

Quote:
The other thing I'm going to do is download MSO...I have one seat of interest to me in my single three-seat row, but I already do a minimum of five measuring positions and often as many as nine on my 72" wide sofa with Trinnov, and have a weighting scheme, so I can work with that from what I've seen of MSO. The later versions of the Altitude support PEQ for the individual subs before arriving at the summated sub response as a step before the Optimizer, so I can run the optimization and get information I can feed into the Altitude. From what I know with the PC-based architecture, there's no limit in practical terms to the number of filters we can use, the degree of attenuation, and Q. Should be fun to test out...
I use MSO with a PC based (acourate) setup, it is somewhat time consuming (albeit mostly time the computer spends churning away) but certainly works well for me & is interesting to play with to see what it comes up with.
post #23589 of 23602 Old 10-10-2017, 06:48 PM

Hello,
should I be concerned with the following.
I utilise Rew and Umik-1(with cxal. file 90 degrees) to set all channels levels at 75db.
In the receiver, the front left gian is set to 0db and the main volume as requested by the SPL meter in Rew. To get the front righ to the setting I must rise the gain into rotel by 2db.
I expected to see the 2 curves to be together. But it is not the case espacially above 1k hz (see the mdat).
Is it a problem?
If I put 0db into Rotel for the 2 fronts, SPL with Rew gives 75db for left and 73db for right but, the measurement shows the 2 responses together.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yr6z9happz...sure.mdat?dl=0
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SPL and main level.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	2295970  

My system 5.1 :ROTEL RSX-1562 /Fronts: B & W 804 D2; surround : B&W 704 and center B&W HTM4d2 /sub SVS PC 2000 / TV Samsung UN55ES8000
/BD player Cambridge CXU/ set-top (cable box) rented from cable co. PEQ by nanoAvr-DL Dirac Live between CXU and receiver
post #23590 of 23602 Old 10-11-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 5136 Post(s)
Liked: 3836
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargateOne View Post
Hello,
should I be concerned with the following.
I utilise Rew and Umik-1(with cxal. file 90 degrees) to set all channels levels at 75db.
In the receiver, the front left gian is set to 0db and the main volume as requested by the SPL meter in Rew. To get the front righ to the setting I must rise the gain into rotel by 2db.
I expected to see the 2 curves to be together. But it is not the case espacially above 1k hz (see the mdat).
Is it a problem?
If I put 0db into Rotel for the 2 fronts, SPL with Rew gives 75db for left and 73db for right but, the measurement shows the 2 responses together.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yr6z9happz...sure.mdat?dl=0
It is perfectly normal to see different response characteristics from the FL and FR speakers due to placement and interaction with room boundaries. Unless your room is a perfect rectangle and both speakers are evenly spaced from boundaries, you will see results like this. Nothing to worry too much about.

EDIT: However, thinking more about this, it is strange that the frequencies above 1khz are so much lower from your FL. Unless something is obviously blocking that speakers tweeter, you may have a problem with the tweeter in that speaker.
post #23591 of 23602 Old 10-11-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
(...)
EDIT: However, thinking more about this, it is strange that the frequencies above 1khz are so much lower from your FL. Unless something is obviously blocking that speakers tweeter, you may have a problem with the tweeter in that speaker.
That's what I thought. I swap both speakers and I got the same results (differences between the left and the right channel). If I equalize the level to get 75 both sides with Umik and Rew, I must to raise the right channel level into the receiver by 2 db and then I got the graph that I sent. On the contrary, if I want to get both measurements equal above 1 k hz, I must let gain to 0 into the receiver but then I got 75 db on the left and 73 on the right.
So it does not seem to be the speaker. I know nothing about electronics, but to me it does not make sense to suspect the receiver either. Unless you've got an idea?

post #23592 of 23602 Old 10-11-2017, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's what I thought. I swap both speakers and I got the same results (differences between the left and the right channel). If I equalize the level to get 75 both sides with Umik and Rew, I must to raise the right channel level into the receiver by 2 db and then I got the graph that I sent. On the contrary, if I want to get both measurements equal above 1 k hz, I must let gain to 0 into the receiver but then I got 75 db on the left and 73 on the right.
So it does not seem to be the speaker. I know nothing about electronics, but to me it does not make sense to suspect the receiver either. Unless you've got an idea?
When you say you swapped speakers, did you swap the speaker outputs on the AVR or did you swap their physical locations, or...?
post #23593 of 23602 Old 10-11-2017, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked: 2214
Quote:
When you say you swapped speakers, did you swap the speaker outputs on the AVR or did you swap their physical locations, or...?
I bet locations..........
post #23594 of 23602 Old 10-11-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, I take left speaker to the right and so on.Not the cables at the output of the receiver

Last edited by FargateOne; 10-11-2017 at 03:24 PM.
post #23595 of 23602 Old 10-11-2017, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I take left speaker to the right and so on.Not the cables at the output of the receiver
And the problem follows the speaker, or the location??
post #23596 of 23602 Old 10-11-2017, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #23597 of 23602 Old 10-11-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
And the problem follows the speaker, or the location??
Changing speakers of place did not change the problem. The 2 db difference remains on the right front. I will later tonight (when the house will be calm !) change the cables at the output of the receiver (left speaker cable connected to the right front output and so on) and report.
OK, it is the room. I switched the cables output and the gain in the receiver followed the signal: left speaker went 2 db higher than the right.

Last edited by FargateOne; 10-11-2017 at 07:05 PM.
post #23598 of 23602 Old 10-12-2017, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Changing speakers of place did not change the problem. The 2 db difference remains on the right front. I will later tonight (when the house will be calm !) change the cables at the output of the receiver (left speaker cable connected to the right front output and so on) and report.
OK, it is the room. I switched the cables output and the gain in the receiver followed the signal: left speaker went 2 db higher than the right.
Your first test (physically moving the speakers but leaving the connections alone) suggest that it is the room, but...

In your second test, if you left the speakers placed as they were in your original graph (FR louder than FL above 1khz) and you swapped cables and now the left speaker is higher in SPL, it is the AVR not the room.

Maybe I am not interpreting your explanation correctly though....
post #23599 of 23602 Old 10-12-2017, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This seems like an AVR problem, now the left speaker is 2dB higher and not the right, by reversing the speakers connection to the binding posts correct, you moved the 2dB louder to the opposite speaker now. I don't know why you just can't raise the the speaker's trim level 2dB higher so you have the same output from both mains. 2dB is not a really big discrepancy.
post #23600 of 23602 Old 10-12-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 41
If, effectively, with all trims zero the speaker on left is always 2 db hot for total SPL then it is room/positioning problem.

That can make sense and underscore why built in test tones for level setting are band limited around 1 kHz. Looking at the plot below 1 kHz there is a lot of area where the right speaker response has large dips. This could account for the 2 dB difference in total SPL.

Line up the traces above 1kHz and let listening decide if you want to make further adjustment. Or fix whatever is causing the response anomalies.

plug in to play
Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
post #23601 of 23602 Old 10-12-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin View Post
If, effectively, with all trims zero the speaker on left is always 2 db hot for total SPL then it is room/positioning problem.

That can make sense and underscore why built in test tones for level setting are band limited around 1 kHz. Looking at the plot below 1 kHz there is a lot of area where the right speaker response has large dips. This could account for the 2 dB difference in total SPL.

Line up the traces above 1kHz and let listening decide if you want to make further adjustment. Or fix whatever is causing the response anomalies.
I made some changes this afternoon. I moved all the set-up by 20 cm to the right to get the tv and the front at the center of the long wall. For the moment, i had time only to check the levels with Rew and Umik. Front left and right are at the same level with no need to add gain in the receiver.
Il will measure later tonight and report.

AlanP, you understood me well .

OK, after measuring all channels the culprit seems to the room and placement. New place for the fronts, 0 gain in the channels of the receiver, spl meter reads 75db for the right and the left front speakers and the traces line up .

Last edited by FargateOne; 10-12-2017 at 08:17 PM.
post #23602 of 23602 Old 10-15-2017, 08:05 AM

OK, here a kind of follow up of a conversation I had here with Markus767 in May (post 22956 and 22971 among others).

Surprisingly enough, I discovered that I could move the MLP (my wife agreed!!??) and the fronts speakers by 20cm to the right in order to put it (and the TV) at the very center of the long wall of my room and also to respect a little more the proportion 1 x 1,618 suggested here for speakers placement (http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_hor...and_square.php)

So the mic, FL, FR and Center speakers moved to the right (20cm) but surrounds and sub remained at there position untouched. Front right is the timing reference. Unfortunatly I had not the time to do multi positions measurements (will come later this week). To integrate the sub, we must see the excess group delay, say the experts here. Now I have this results. Am I correct to think that it seems good (better than what I had before)?

Then, I checked the sub distance for the integration with the fronts (see the mdat file https://www.dropbox.com/s/zlgxjgy2o0...20cm.mdat?dl=0 ) . Please note that the left and right are xo at 60hz, the center at 70hz and the surrounds at 80hz.
Is the difference between 390cm delay for the sub or 420cm worth it? I don't think so, correct?

To my ears, it sounds better (SS&I in 5.1 much better) but we know how our brain can imagine things with sound ! (put a new cable and try!) Does measurements support this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MLP 20cm to right sub untouch delay rotel 390cm.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	2298690   Click image for larger version

Name:	time alignment sub 390cm or 420cm.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	2298692  

Last edited by FargateOne; 10-15-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Dayton , Dayton Audio , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page