Towers with built in subs - do they require a X.2 receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-07-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everybody,

I have been reading around these forums for a while now and finally got around to making my first post. Cheers to everyone for all of the helpful information so far. I have just recently upgraded my 15yr old home theater speakers and have a few questions about some of the setup. I grabbed a great deal on a new receiver and slightly used speaker system, so here's what I'm working with:

Denon AVR-1613
Definitive Technology BP8060ST fronts
Definitive Technology CS8080HD center
Definitive Technology SR8080BP surrounds
and a lingering baby Mirage nanosub - working out a deal for the Deftech Supercube I (or would be open to suggestions in the <$400 range)

I have a few questions about how I'm supposed to connect everything here, so I'll just start by listing off my main questions:

1. I bought the Denon receiver before deciding on this speaker setup - Can the AVR1613 handle these speakers or am I doing them a disservice by not getting a more powerful receiver?

2. Seeing as the BP8060 fronts have integrated 300W subs, do I need a receiver that is either 7.2 or 9.2 to run the LFE connections, or do the standard High Level (red/black) inputs work well enough?

I'm sure I'll have another question or two as I get everything fully connected, but thought I'd start here. Thanks for any and all input here. I hope this is in the correct section, feel free to move it to the appropriate location if not.

Cheers,
Spence

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-07-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer740 View Post

Hey everybody,

I have been reading around these forums for a while now and finally got around to making my first post. Cheers to everyone for all of the helpful information so far. I have just recently upgraded my 15yr old home theater speakers and have a few questions about some of the setup. I grabbed a great deal on a new receiver and slightly used speaker system, so here's what I'm working with:

Denon AVR-1613
Definitive Technology BP8060ST fronts
Definitive Technology CS8080HD center
Definitive Technology SR8080BP surrounds
and a lingering baby Mirage nanosub - working out a deal for the Deftech Supercube I (or would be open to suggestions in the <$400 range)

I have a few questions about how I'm supposed to connect everything here, so I'll just start by listing off my main questions:

1. I bought the Denon receiver before deciding on this speaker setup - Can the AVR1613 handle these speakers or am I doing them a disservice by not getting a more powerful receiver?

This is a 75 wpc AVR. One of the most powerful AVRs I know about is 150 wpc which is only 3 dB more. It takes 10 dB (10x more power) to create the perception of being twice as loud, but AFAIK there are no 750 wpc AVRs .

The BP8060 section that requires power from your AVR has 92 dB/W sensitivity which is a little above average.

Any other questions need to be settled by actual power measurements in your listennig room because they depend on its acoustics and your preferences for loud sound.

It seems like you have enough power in the AVR.

Quote:
2. Seeing as the BP8060 fronts have integrated 300W subs, do I need a receiver that is either 7.2 or 9.2 to run the LFE connections, or do the standard High Level (red/black) inputs work well enough?

Your BP 8060 speakers have a RCA jack LFE input that in your case should be hooked up to the LFE output of your receiver. I would recommend telling your AVR that the BP8060s are small, and initially try crossing them over at 80 Hz.

Your receiver has Audyssey Multieq that you need to work with.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-07-2013, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Your BP 8060 speakers have a RCA jack LFE input that in your case should be hooked up to the LFE output of your receiver. I would recommend telling your AVR that the BP8060s are small, and initially try crossing them over at 80 Hz.

Thanks for the great response/advice! Though I guess I'm still confused with the LFE input/output. Here is a link to the connections on my receiver http://usa.denon.com/Assets/images/products/AVR-1613/EL_de_avr1613_e3_bk_re_bg001_lo.jpg Seeing as each tower has an LFE input, how do I get them both connected? Is there a splitter or something for that Subwoofer connection, or do I need a receiver that has 2 sub connections?

post #4 of 6 Old 01-07-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Thanks for the great response/advice! Though I guess I'm still confused with the LFE input/output. Here is a link to the connections on my receiver http://usa.denon.com/Assets/images/products/AVR-1613/EL_de_avr1613_e3_bk_re_bg001_lo.jpg Seeing as each tower has an LFE input, how do I get them both connected? Is there a splitter or something for that Subwoofer connection, or do I need a receiver that has 2 sub connections?

LFE = "Subwoofer" on the back of your receiver.

It is very easy to connect 2 subwoofer inputs to one output with 2 or 3 RCA cables and one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/408215-REG/Hosa_Technology_YRA_104_RCA_Male_to_2.html

or with 3 cables:

http://www.cablesonline.com/1fpronercafe1.html

post #5 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Will there be an issue with power handling if you split the connection? And what if I upgrade my freestanding sub - can you split one connection 3 ways without losing power to any of the subs?

post #6 of 6 Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Will there be an issue with power handling if you split the connection?

No, this is a line level (RCA) connection and the power involved is always minimal. A typical RCA jack output on the back of a receiver can drive at least two RCA jack inputs no sweat.
Quote:
And what if I upgrade my freestanding sub - can you split one connection 3 ways without losing power to any of the subs?

3 or 4 subs shouldn't be a problem. 10 or 100 might be cruising for trouble.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page