speaker placement advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-07-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ive been lurking for a couple weeks and decided to start my first thread. i need advice on speaker placement, I have made my own mains, center, and sub. the surrounds will be in ceiling as the new house im moving into at the end of the month is pre wired and my wife hates the look of speakers everywhere.

front setup pic: the only difference is the tv will be placed onto the tv stand where the center currently sits, and there will be a bridge on the entertainment center that connects the top of the two towers and the center channel will be placed on top of that.
(ignore the placement of electronics, 90% of my house is packed up in the garage waiting to be moved) for reference, the tv is 42" and the sub is 4' tall.

my main question is: should i place the mains outside of the entire entertainment center for better imaging? i like the way the mains fit into the space theyre at now, but it may be hard to hear the left/right difference during movies.

my other question is: should i invest into 4 in ceiling speakers and run 7.1 or take that budgeted money and use it to buy better speakers for 5.1?

any thoughts or input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Me, I would get rid of those awful looking tower cabinets and put the L/R in their place. You have enough vertical black things going on in that room as it is, without those ghastly cabinets.

Most partners don't tend to mind speakers in a room if it is more tastefully done. Speakers with natural wood veneers instead of boring black things tend to have better wife approval factor.

If more tastefully done, your wife may be okay with more speakers in the room for the side surrounds, rather than having to use ceiling speakers.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-07-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

ghastly or not, they have to stay. my wife hated bookshelf speakers that were practically invisible inside those towers. she likes these better...
that, and they way my living room, dining, and kitchen is designed, side or in-walls will not work.
pictured below, the rectangle in the living room represents the entertainment center. the circle next to it, the sub and the solid black circles are where the wires will be for the pre wired in ceiling surround points.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-08-2013, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdizzle View Post

ghastly or not, they have to stay.

Why? Is someone holding a gun to your head?

If you want to keep those cabinets, then yes, it would be better to place the speakers outside of them as they look far too close together as they are now.

Also bring the speakers forward a bit more too, as ideally speakers should be forward of any shelving/TV screens etc. Basically the more space you can give speakers - the better.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-08-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

It was my kind way of ignoring your comment about my "ugly" furniture. I personally like the entertainment center. Thank you for answering my original question.What about the rear speakers? Should I put the in ceiling speakers even with the seating position? A little forward/behind?
post #6 of 7 Old 01-08-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

it would be better to place the speakers outside of them as they look far too close together as they are now. Also bring the speakers forward a bit more too, as ideally speakers should be forward of any shelving/TV screens etc. Basically the more space you can give speakers - the better.

The above is good advice, however the rest of your commentary about how much you dislike the aesthetics of his room is unnecessary. He's a new member looking for speaker placement advice.

OP: Here is some information from Dolby's website regarding various speaker placement configurations to get you started:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdizzle View Post

ive been lurking for a couple weeks and decided to start my first thread. i need advice on speaker placement, I have made my own mains, center, and sub. the surrounds will be in ceiling as the new house im moving into at the end of the month is pre wired and my wife hates the look of speakers everywhere.
front setup pic: the only difference is the tv will be placed onto the tv stand where the center currently sits, and there will be a bridge on the entertainment center that connects the top of the two towers and the center channel will be placed on top of that.
(ignore the placement of electronics, 90% of my house is packed up in the garage waiting to be moved) for reference, the tv is 42" and the sub is 4' tall.

my main question is: should i place the mains outside of the entire entertainment center for better imaging? i like the way the mains fit into the space theyre at now, but it may be hard to hear the left/right difference during movies.
my other question is: should i invest into 4 in ceiling speakers and run 7.1 or take that budgeted money and use it to buy better speakers for 5.1?
any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

The cabinets look fine, and will even look better once you place the bridge on top. As for the placement of speakers, you're not going to hear much separation between the left and right the way you have them now (unless perhaps you are sitting real close to them). You will most likely like the sound if you pull them further out into the room, and tow them inwards towards the listening area. Play a reference disc, something that you know very well, and experiment with placement, playing the same track after each move.

Espo77
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page