Audio Delay - Sony Bravia to Yamaha HTR-5540 - AVS Forum
Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat > Audio Delay - Sony Bravia to Yamaha HTR-5540
honnat's Avatar honnat 05:37 PM 01-07-2013
I have recently purchased a Sony Bravia LED TV. I have an indoor antenna hooked directly to the TV. I have a optical audio cable going to my AV receiver (Yamaha HTR-5540). I am getting an audio delay in my speakers that progressively gets worse as time goes on. When I first turn on the system, it is hardley noticable. After a few minutes, if I have the sound on the TV on as well as the speakers - there is a clear echo. The TV speakers are in sync with the picture; but the audio from my receiver is delayed. I can temporarily make it better by switching the channel, and then turning it back. That sort of "resets" the signal to seem to process at the same time.

I am not getting a delay if I use my Wii. For now, I have audio and video (just the red, white and yellow) hooked to my receiver and am running the video back to my TV.

I called Sony, and they said because the sound on the speakers is working properly, it is an issue with my receiver. They said with a Sony receiver, there is a setting for the receiver to correct this delay. They suggested I call Yamaha to see if there is a similar setting on their sysytems.

I called Yamaha and they said I should not be getting a delay. They did not know of a setting with my particular model that woudl correct this delay. They suggested I "reset" my receiver and see if that helps. They lead me through the steps to do this and admitted it would be a long shot if that would actually help the problem. Well, the delay is still there. The Yamaha rep said it is likely an issue with the output on my TV.

Any ideas? Is there a setting on my Yamaha to correct this issue?

arnyk's Avatar arnyk 05:53 PM 01-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by honnat View Post

I have recently purchased a Sony Bravia LED TV. I have an indoor antenna hooked directly to the TV. I have a optical audio cable going to my AV receiver (Yamaha HTR-5540). I am getting an audio delay in my speakers that progressively gets worse as time goes on. When I first turn on the system, it is hardley noticable. After a few minutes, if I have the sound on the TV on as well as the speakers - there is a clear echo. The TV speakers are in sync with the picture; but the audio from my receiver is delayed. I can temporarily make it better by switching the channel, and then turning it back. That sort of "resets" the signal to seem to process at the same time.

I am not getting a delay if I use my Wii. For now, I have audio and video (just the red, white and yellow) hooked to my receiver and am running the video back to my TV.

I called Sony, and they said because the sound on the speakers is working properly, it is an issue with my receiver. They said with a Sony receiver, there is a setting for the receiver to correct this delay. They suggested I call Yamaha to see if there is a similar setting on their sysytems.

I called Yamaha and they said I should not be getting a delay. They did not know of a setting with my particular model that woudl correct this delay. They suggested I "reset" my receiver and see if that helps. They lead me through the steps to do this and admitted it would be a long shot if that would actually help the problem. Well, the delay is still there. The Yamaha rep said it is likely an issue with the output on my TV.

Whatever delay the receiver had, it would be constant. A delay that actually changes in duration with time is pretty unusual. If you said that it was always there but got more noticeable the longer you listened would make more sense.
honnat's Avatar honnat 05:59 PM 01-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Whatever delay the receiver had, it would be constant. A delay that actually changes in duration with time is pretty unusual. If you said that it was always there but got more noticeable the longer you listened would make more sense.
It definately gets worse. To use an analogy of automobiles - Think of a car going 55 mph (video), and another one going 54 mph (audio). For a while, these vehicles would appear to be pretty close. But as time goes on, the video gets further and further ahead. Then, if I switch channels - I'm putting the cars back on the same starting line again.
honnat's Avatar honnat 12:10 PM 01-08-2013
Any other ideas? Or other places to ask this question?
Espo77's Avatar Espo77 12:15 PM 01-08-2013
Quote:

This is a common problem, and I don't think that your receiver has a "Lip Sync" control. I believe that most new receivers do have this function. I'm surprised that Yamaha support is pointing the blame elsewhere. I would call them back and ask them if any of their new receivers have the "Lip Sync" feature. In the mean time, I think you stated that you have an indoor antenna hooked to the TV, and then you run optical from the TV to the receiver. I believe the only thing that will work is if you were to use a set top box of some kind, then hook optical from the set top box to the receiver, then on to the TV.
Also, I wouldn't have the TV spkrs on while the surround sound spkrs are on...either one or the other. Just by chance, is the "Lip Sync" a feature in your Sony owners manual. That would be nice.
J_Palmer_Cass's Avatar J_Palmer_Cass 01:04 PM 01-08-2013
Quote:

Quote:

It definately gets worse. To use an analogy of automobiles - Think of a car going 55 mph (video), and another one going 54 mph (audio). For a while, these vehicles would appear to be pretty close. But as time goes on, the video gets further and further ahead. Then, if I switch channels - I'm putting the cars back on the same starting line again.

Well if the video get's further and further ahead of the audio, no time delay setting for audio is going to help you unless it is in the AVR.

I have no problems with my Sony TV connected the way you have it connected. TV antenna used for input signal, TV speakers set to OFF / Audio System, audio output set to fixed and TV audio connected to AVR via optical cable.
arnyk's Avatar arnyk 01:31 PM 01-08-2013
Quote:

Quote:

This sounds like the audio clock and the video clock are not locked.

It seems like audio clock in the TV set that is used to drive the TV's optical output is not locked to the TV's video clock.

The audio clock in the AVR has to lock with the audio clock in the TV or else there would be no sound.

So any lack of locking would have to be in the TV.

That should never happen!
honnat's Avatar honnat 02:47 PM 01-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

This is a common problem, and I don't think that your receiver has a "Lip Sync" control. I believe that most new receivers do have this function. I'm surprised that Yamaha support is pointing the blame elsewhere. I would call them back and ask them if any of their new receivers have the "Lip Sync" feature. In the mean time, I think you stated that you have an indoor antenna hooked to the TV, and then you run optical from the TV to the receiver. I believe the only thing that will work is if you were to use a set top box of some kind, then hook optical from the set top box to the receiver, then on to the TV.
Also, I wouldn't have the TV spkrs on while the surround sound spkrs are on...either one or the other. Just by chance, is the "Lip Sync" a feature in your Sony owners manual. That would be nice.

I'll have to look into set top boxes (?) Not sure what that is (rookie).

The only reason I turn the speakers on the TV on is to test how far the delay is off. That is the easiest way to see because for the first few minutes I can barely SEE a delay; but I can start to hear it if I have both TV speakers and AV speakers on.
honnat's Avatar honnat 02:48 PM 01-08-2013
Quote:

This sounds like the audio clock and the video clock are not locked.
It seems like audio clock in the TV set that is used to drive the TV's optical output is not locked to the TV's video clock.
The audio clock in the AVR has to lock with the audio clock in the TV or else there would be no sound.
So any lack of locking would have to be in the TV.
That should never happen!

How could I solve this problem? Is this a defect of the TV and I need to bring it back?
Espo77's Avatar Espo77 03:47 PM 01-08-2013
Quote:

How could I solve this problem? Is this a defect of the TV and I need to bring it back?

Not a problem with the TV IMO. You need one of your components to offer the "lip Sync" feature.
Tags: Yamaha Htr 5540 Audio Video Receiver
Up
Mobile  Desktop