[5.1] Setting up a surround system for my computer. [ Looking for highly knowledgeable individual that can answer my questions! ] - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 52 Old 01-07-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!

Over the last week I have gone from being a total caveman at audio to being less of a caveman at audio.
I have gained some knowledge, read forums up and down, googled here and there and I am left with a few questions.

But first I will tell you my purposes;

5.1 surround system with my gaming computer
- Gaming is first priority
- Blu-ray is second priority

While keeping in mind that only hdmi and multichannel analog can carry lossless PCB signals, here are my questions:

1. I have chosen to go with a sound card instead of a receiver. In that case I am forced to use 6 x RCA analog cables from the speakers to the sound card. True or false?

2. Are there any sound cards that support 6 channel analog inputs to go with the 6 RCA cables?? If yes, please link me some good options. Price doesn't matter.

3. If I were to go with a HDMI cable, I have to use a receiver instead. True or false?

4. I am now quoting crackinhedz from forum.blu-ray.com talking about multichannel analog -
Quote:
Also, If it cannot be decoded by the player, then you will not hear that specific codec. For example, the Sony BD-S1 can internally decode Dolby TrueHD. But it cannot decode Dts-HD Master. So with the multichannel analog connection, you could hear TrueHD but not Dts-HD Master (only the "core").

- What does he mean with that? Please provide a detailed answer.

Finally, here is a general question if you want to add a general detailed description instead...... How do I setup a 5.1 surround system to my computer that will take use of lossless audio? (wav samples at 1411kbit bitrate or more)

Thanks in advance,

- lillemakken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 01-07-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Let's back up a bit. What are your speakers? Are they actively powered or do you have a multichannel amp?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 52 Old 01-07-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

I have not bought anything yet. Everything is so far hypothetical. I have just made my mind to go with a sound card. I have not yet chosen speakers and sound card.
post #4 of 52 Old 01-08-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

bump....
post #5 of 52 Old 01-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillemakken View Post

1. I have chosen to go with a sound card instead of a receiver. In that case I am forced to use 6 x RCA analog cables from the speakers to the sound card. True or false?

You need an amplifier of some sort. I would assume given that your talking about lossless output your planning to buy 'real' speakers and a sub, that is, your not using some off the shelf logitech system or something. Realistically the most cost effective way to get a quality 5 channel amplifier is to buy an AV receiver. Alternatively you can get 5 studio monitors that have the amps built in.
Quote:

2. Are there any sound cards that support 6 channel analog inputs to go with the 6 RCA cables?? If yes, please link me some good options. Price doesn't matter.

I'm not sure what the goal here is, since you probably need external amplification anyway, you would probably just want to feed the audio into the receiver. That said you can get sound cards with 6+ channels of input. M-audio makes several but they are targeted at music recording work since there isn't really a reason to bring 6 channels into a computer otherwise. I don't know of any that are really designed such that you can pass the channels straight though easily in the case of using monitors, I'm sure you can do it but doubt its the most user friendly thing in the world as its very uncommon.
Quote:

3. If I were to go with a HDMI cable, I have to use a receiver instead. True or false?

Not necessarily, but as mentioned, you pretty much need a receiver for amplification anyway.
Quote:

4. I am now quoting crackinhedz from forum.blu-ray.com talking about multichannel analog -
- What does he mean with that? Please provide a detailed answer.

The question is which device takes the raw encoded audio from the source (blueray or video file) and converts it to the 6 independent channels. If you use 6 analog outputs, the sound card (well, really your computers CPU is doing it) has to do this. If you stream it out HDMI on the other hand, its usually the receiver that does the decoding, although its possible to decode it on the computer and stream it out as PCM via HDMI (or other digital method) also. There really isn't any advantage to one vs the other unless your chosen software on your compute can't decode the given format, which can be an issue as some formats are proprietary and require a licence to implement.
Quote:

Finally, here is a general question if you want to add a general detailed description instead...... How do I setup a 5.1 surround system to my computer that will take use of lossless audio? (wav samples at 1411kbit bitrate or more)

Most multichannel sound cards have a digital out via either SPDI/F (optical) or a digital RCA link. Its probably easiest to use this connection vs HDMI and won't effect quality.

Now, you've mentioned games a lot, they do their own thing to generate the multiple channels, you don't need to worry about what device is decoding the audio in this case, its being generated as 6 channel in real time (although perhaps some games may generate DD). So whatever you do you need to get 6 channels out of the sounds card. This is another place where HDMI is a bad idea. I doubt your can have your sound blaster blah blah sound card do its thing helping out with 3D game sound then pump the output back out through the HDMI (via video card) connection. Maybe but sounds messy to me.
post #6 of 52 Old 01-10-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Originally Posted by lillemakken

Quote:
You need an amplifier of some sort. I would assume given that your talking about lossless output your planning to buy 'real' speakers and a sub, that is, your not using some off the shelf logitech system or something. Realistically the most cost effective way to get a quality 5 channel amplifier is to buy an AV receiver. Alternatively you can get 5 studio monitors that have the amps built in.

Why do I need an amplifier/receiver? Can't I go with a sound card? And what do you mean with "real speakers and sub" ?.

Quote:
I'm not sure what the goal here is, since you probably need external amplification anyway, you would probably just want to feed the audio into the receiver. That said you can get sound cards with 6+ channels of input. M-audio makes several but they are targeted at music recording work since there isn't really a reason to bring 6 channels into a computer otherwise. I don't know of any that are really designed such that you can pass the channels straight though easily in the case of using monitors, I'm sure you can do it but doubt its the most user friendly thing in the world as its very uncommon.

Again, why do I need external amplification anyway? Because of the RCA cables?

Quote:
Not necessarily, but as mentioned, you pretty much need a receiver for amplification anyway.

See questions above.

Originally Posted by lillemakken :

Quote:
Most multichannel sound cards have a digital out via either SPDI/F (optical) or a digital RCA link. Its probably easiest to use this connection vs HDMI and won't effect quality.

Now, you've mentioned games a lot, they do their own thing to generate the multiple channels, you don't need to worry about what device is decoding the audio in this case, its being generated as 6 channel in real time (although perhaps some games may generate DD). So whatever you do you need to get 6 channels out of the sounds card. This is another place where HDMI is a bad idea. I doubt your can have your sound blaster blah blah sound card do its thing helping out with 3D game sound then pump the output back out through the HDMI (via video card) connection. Maybe but sounds messy to me.

I know, which is why I'm going for analog no matter what. So let's pretend I'm going for sound card and analog cables. How do I reach those goals?

- Easier asked; How would you set up a 5.1 lossless surround system to your computer using analog connections with "real" speakers through the use of a sound card?

Thanks again,

- lillemakken
post #7 of 52 Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for multi post. Had an error so I thought my initial post didn't show up.
post #8 of 52 Old 01-10-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

HDMI, Analog, Optical, whatever you use - you still need to provide POWER (amplification) to the speakers. These are your options:

• 5.1 analog from soundcard to 5 channel amplifier to the 5 speakers, and (dot)one to the subwoofer's amplifier.
  • Same as above, but instead of just an amplifier you get a receiver with analog inputs (the receiver is ALSO an amplifier)
  • Digital out of the soundcard to digital input of receiver (receiver need not have multichannel analog inputs in this case). Pick your flavor of digital: HDMI, optical, or digital coax

By "Real" speakers I believe he means not some 5.1 in a box logitech PC surround thing. Usually such things are self powered (ie. need no amplifier), but they are likely to be underwhelming in performance.

Quote:

I know, which is why I'm going for analog no matter what. So let's pretend I'm going for sound card and analog cables. How do I reach those goals?

post #9 of 52 Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

@baniels

You mean "to 6 channel amplifier" right? Not 5 channel? Or? Was it a typo?

And there's still something I don't understand.. Hm.. But I don't know what it is lol

Do all speakers need an amplifier? That.. Box, right? The 2.1 speakers I'm using now have them built-in? But they are built-in because they are.. bad? lol

But I'm sure I read something on some forums that you choose whether you wanna go for sound card OR receiver. You're telling me I NEED both?
post #10 of 52 Old 01-10-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

In a 5.1 setup the five goes to the 5 speakers (left, right, center, and two surrounds) the ".1" goes to the subwoofer. Almost always, a subwoofer will have it's own amplifier built in. So a 5 channel amp, plus a self-powered subwoofer.

I'm not saying that all speakers with built-in power are bad. Most studio monitors are self-powered and there are a great many very good studio monitors. But yes, if you mean a little 2.1 computer dkeptop set, it would be powered because most folks can't be bothered with external amplifier/receivers and are fine with the sound quality and abilities of such. TBH, a 5.1 in a box might be just the right thing for you. Let's step back a little bit and find out.

This is all going to be for computer gaming with a little movies and music, yes? Where are you planning to mount the surround speakers? I know you are set on a soundcard with analog outputs - but do you already HAVE it? Have your eye on one? How far away are you going to be sitting from the front speakers? I'd like to hear your goals and your setup a little bit, and from there I can help make some recommendations.
Quote:

@baniels

And there's still something I don't understand.. Hm.. But I don't know what it is lol

Do all speakers need an amplifier? That.. Box, right? The 2.1 speakers I'm using now have them built-in? But they are built-in because they are.. bad? lol

But I'm sure I read something on some forums that you choose whether you wanna go for sound card OR receiver. You're telling me I NEED both?

post #11 of 52 Old 01-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

@baniels

In general:

You need something to generate audio, whether it be a game or a cd drive or a program that plays .wav files or a blu-ray player or whatever

You need something to process that audio into one low level stream for each channel (speaker), whether that be your sound card or a processor or a receiver

You need something to amplify those low level streams into high level streams that speakers can actually play, whether that be a receiver or a bunch of single channel amplifiers or a five channel power amp or amplification stages inside of powered monitor speakers. An active subwoofer can basically be considered to be like a gigantic powered monitor speaker that only plays deep notes.

You need speakers to play those amplified streams

You have a few options, but you need to cover all of those bases one way or another.

post #12 of 52 Old 01-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Almost all do, even the cards built into most motherboards have 6 channel analog output. The jack is usually a 1/8" stereo due to space constraints so if you want to use RCA cables for some reason instead of 1/8" cabling you just need to grab an adaptor.
Quote:
Why do I need an amplifier/receiver? Can't I go with a sound card?

Sound cards can't provide enough power to drive speakers directly. Usually only 2 channels of its output can even drive headphones with enough power. The 2.1/5.1 off the shelf systems usually have the power amp for all channels built into the subwoofer. However, invariably such systems are complete crap acoustically, but are an easy way to solve your problem, just buy a set and plug it into the digital or analog outputs of your sound card, whatever the system supports.
Quote:
And what do you mean with "real speakers and sub" ?.

I mean quality speakers that aren't the 2.1 or 5.1 computer speaker package deals you can get from Logitech, Creative, etc.
Quote:
I know, which is why I'm going for analog no matter what.

Why? The digital coax or SPDI/F connections are the easiest to use.
Quote:
- Easier asked; How would you set up a 5.1 lossless surround system to your computer using analog connections with "real" speakers through the use of a sound card?

If I were going to do that, I'd buy whatever near field speakers I want, whatever receiver I want, whatever sound card I want and connect the sound card to the receiver with a digital coax cable or SPDI/F, whichever my sound card supported.

What I personally would do if gaming were my primary concern, is buy a good set of headphones and a decent headphone amp and set my sound card to headphone mode for 3D positioning. You'll get far better positional cues this way than you will from putting 5 speakers each 3 feet from your head.
post #13 of 52 Old 01-11-2013, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xianthax View Post

I mean quality speakers that aren't the 2.1 or 5.1 computer speaker package deals you can get from Logitech, Creative, etc.
Why? The digital coax or SPDI/F connections are the easiest to use.

Why? As already mentioned, I'm going for lossless audio quality. Digital cables such as optical and coax cannot transfer such signals without a loss in quality.

quoting once again crackinhedz from forum.blu-ray.com;
Quote:
Before I go any further, I would like to note that Optical and Digital Coaxial cables are insufficient and will only transmit 2.0 PCM audio. In other words, only stereo...they are not capable of delivering Lossless 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound.

quoting "sirmasterboy" from evga.com;
Quote:
This is incorrect. The analog plugs will give you the better sound considering you have a sound card on the same qualtiy scale as your speakers.

Here is why using the digital (optical or coax) will not sound nearly as good:

The audio that is in video games is made up of lossless stereo wav samples at 1411kbit bitrate. All of these sounds can play at once when things happen in the game and overlap. All of these sound clips are then layered, flatened, and sent out your sound card as 1411kbit per stereo channel.

Now, 5.1 sound is made up of 6 channels. Green-(left,right) Black-(rear-left,rear-right) Orange-(Center,LFE(Sub)). In full lossless quality, this takes 3 stereo signals to transmit. This leads to 1411kbit x 3 or a 4233kbit bitrate.

Using a SPDIF interface such as the optical or digital coaxial plugs on your sound card would require the lossless 5.1 stream to be encoded into a compressed codec similar to MP3.

These codecs are known as DD (Dolby Digital) and DTS (Digital Theater Sound). These codecs are typically 640kbit for DD and 768kbit for DTS. These bitrates are MUCH lower than the origonal 4233kbit lossless stream and therfore MUCH of the sound data and fidelity is lost.

Using the analog plugs will allow you to retain that 4233kbit lossless stream to transmit to your speakers. There is absolutly nothing wrong with analog. Analog is still ahead of digital in many aspects of media these days from music to movies. (Theaters still use analog film and analog film projectors for a reason) (Also, the ammount of quality and clarity that can be stored in a vinyl record still far exceeds what a CD using the Redbook standard can achieve.)

Now, the best solution for sending a 5.1 signal would be a lossless digital signal of course. However, the only way to transmit a lossless 5.1 digital signal is with PCM. Unfortunatly, the SPDIF standard interface only allows for stereo PCM signals and cannot do 5.1 PCM. The only way to send a 5.1 PCM signal is with HDMI.

Here is a siple explanation of wjat to use for what.

Stereo audio such as music (Use SPDIF since it can transmit a lossless PCM signal)

Movies on DVD (Use SPDIF since the sound is already encoded into compressed DD or DTS and therfore you cannot ever get a greater quality from that source)

Video games (Use analog since the sound in the game is lossless and you want a 5.1 lossless signal sent to your speakers)

BluRay movies (Use analog since the sound on these disks is lossless 5.1 sound and you can only send all of that to your speakers with analog)

Quote:
If I were going to do that, I'd buy whatever near field speakers I want, whatever receiver I want, whatever sound card I want and connect the sound card to the receiver with a digital coax cable or SPDI/F, whichever my sound card supported.

What I personally would do if gaming were my primary concern, is buy a good set of headphones and a decent headphone amp and set my sound card to headphone mode for 3D positioning. You'll get far better positional cues this way than you will from putting 5 speakers each 3 feet from your head.

Alright, starting to get the hang of this.

So basically, list of components needed are the following:
- Speakers (5.1)
- Sound card (5.1 supported)
- Receiver
- HDMI/Analog cables

But, connecting the sound card to the receiver... RCA cables will work between there, or?
post #14 of 52 Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes - analog from the sound card to the receiver/amp and subwoofer. It would sure be easier if you could connect a single HDMI cable to a receiver. It seems that it would work in some cases, but some brief reading suggests that you may not get proper surround from all games. In some cases, the games can bitstream TrueHD or DTS-HD, but others cannot and you may end up unsatisfied with the result. Further reading on this would be prudent, as this would be the SIMPLEST course of action.

But assuming that won't work, you need to find yourself a receiver with multichannel analog inputs. This is not found on every receiver, but fortunately for you it is more common than multichannel analog pre-outs.

Please review my earlier questions. What is your layout like? How far will you be from the speakers? Where are the surrounds going to be mounted?
Quote:

Alright, starting to get the hang of this.

So basically, list of components needed are the following:
- Speakers (5.1)
- Sound card (5.1 supported)
- Receiver
- HDMI/Analog cables

But, connecting the sound card to the receiver... RCA cables will work between there, or?

post #15 of 52 Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

@baniels

I had eyes on a sound card, but then, no. Right now, I don't have any sound card chosen due to other forum's big hype about Creative's sound cards being right down "bad" etc.

How far I will be from the speakers? I'm not quite sure. Haven't really.. gotten that far. From the front speakers I will give you a rough estimation of about 0,5 - 1 full meter to each of them?

The rear speakers will be about one full meter to 1,3 meters away from me on each of them.

I'm thinking about placing the rear speakers within 110 degrees of my origo as recommended on another website.

Any thoughts?
post #16 of 52 Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

What's your budget for speakers, receiver/amp, and subwoofer?

post #17 of 52 Old 01-11-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Haven't figured it out yet.

But how many % of my budget should go into speakers, how many % should go into the receiver and lastly the sound card?
post #18 of 52 Old 01-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Why? As already mentioned, I'm going for lossless audio quality. Digital cables such as optical and coax cannot transfer such signals without a loss in quality.

While these guys are technically correct you'll never hear the difference, you'd have to have golden ears to tell the difference testing in a perfect room with $50,000 in speaker equipment.

Don't worry about what is or isn't lossless.
post #19 of 52 Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:

Haven't figured it out yet.

But how many % of my budget should go into speakers, how many % should go into the receiver and lastly the sound card?

Since this is all hypothetical, here are some minimum numbers for quality sound:

Computer audio interface - what is already in the computer? You may already have all that you need!

Receiver - $250-350

Speakers - $800-900, or $500-600 for the main speakers, and $200-300 for the subwoofer.

You may want to set aside some money ($300-500) for acoustic room treatments, acoustical measuring setup, etc.

OK, does that give you a good or bad feeling in your tummy?
post #20 of 52 Old 01-11-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Since this is all hypothetical, here are some minimum numbers for quality sound:

Computer audio interface - what is already in the computer? You may already have all that you need!

Receiver - $250-350

Speakers - $800-900, or $500-600 for the main speakers, and $200-300 for the subwoofer.

You may want to set aside some money ($300-500) for acoustic room treatments, acoustical measuring setup, etc.

OK, does that give you a good or bad feeling in your tummy?

A.. barely O.K feeling.

Although, you forgot the sound card in this accounting.

With acoustic room treatments and measuring setup, what do you mean then exactly?

And what I already have isn't really relevant, is it? I have two speakers and one sub. Using integrated sound card in the motherboard atm.
post #21 of 52 Old 01-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

A.. barely O.K feeling.

Although, you forgot the sound card in this accounting.

With acoustic room treatments and measuring setup, what do you mean then exactly?

And what I already have isn't really relevant, is it? I have two speakers and one sub. Using integrated sound card in the motherboard atm.

He didn't forget the sound card, just called it a "computer audio interface".

post #22 of 52 Old 01-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In order of importance for sound quality:

1/2) Speakers / Room Acoustics (which gets first depends on how bad the acoustics of your room are)

and way down on the importance scale are

3) Electronics (receiver, amps, etc)
4) Source Material Encoding (lossless vs lossy)

You can have $50,000 speakers but if your listening room is highly reflective and has a lot room modes, it'll still sound like crap. You need the measurement equipment to locate the issues and room treatments to mitigate them. Electronics like Audyssey help some with this but they can't correct for a 25db null at your listening position.
Quote:

It depends on what you have. If you have 2 good speakers and a good sub, thats a start. The sound card may not matter much. The difference between the analog performance of on board sound cards and higher end models is often negligible. The difference when using the digital output is non existant for all intents and purposes. Very few games use ESX or hardware 3D accelerated sound anymore so that is really a minimal-issue.
post #23 of 52 Old 01-20-2013, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

So, how do I connect the sound card to the receiver and the receiver to the speakers? Do I need any adapters?

And what's this fuzz about hdmi over video card? Please explain that if you can as well smile.gif

I'm thinking RCA cables, but.. how, when, what?
post #24 of 52 Old 01-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So, how do I connect the sound card to the receiver

Toslink or digital coax
Quote:
and the receiver to the speakers?

speaker wire
Quote:
Do I need any adapters?

unlikely but maybe, have to know the final devices first.
Quote:
And what's this fuzz about hdmi over video card? Please explain that if you can as well smile.gif

HDMI ports on computers are 'run' by the GPU. The sound has to be passed to the GPU driver to get it into the HDMI stream.
post #25 of 52 Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xianthax View Post

Toslink or digital coax
speaker wire
unlikely but maybe, have to know the final devices first.
HDMI ports on computers are 'run' by the GPU. The sound has to be passed to the GPU driver to get it into the HDMI stream.

No toslink or digital coax. I said I want analog with the best quality you can get. No digital shizz wink.gif

Also, how do I connect the GPU And Sound card then? Not that I won't, since I won't be using a HDMI, but out of curiosity? Or are they already connected through the motherboard?
post #26 of 52 Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you give me a link to one of the sound cards you are considering? It'll be easier to work with something more concrete.

If you are going from a 5.1/7.1 analog output from a soundcard you will need either:

A) a multichannel amp + powered subwoofer, or B) an AVR with multichannel analog inputs + powered subwoofer

Either of the above will be connected with:

RCA inputs to the amp or receiver, and suitable connectors to plug into the soundcard. Maybe RCA, or maybe 3.5mm (in which case you can use something like this), or make your own cables, or search for such cables. Or maybe it will have stereo 3.5mm jacks, in which case you could use something like this.

I haven't used a desktop PC for years, so I'm really not up on this stuff. That's why it would be easier to help if you could throw out a few of the soundcards you are considering? Lot's of guesswork without that.

post #27 of 52 Old 01-22-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

You seem pretty stuck on this and I'm not sure why. The audio is coming from a digital source to begin with. It is going to be turned to analog somewhere, and there's really no benefit to having that take place inside the computer vs in an AVR, unless your games won't bitstream the audio formats you want in this manner*. If you can verify with other gamers that passing in-game surround audio via HDMI is a viable option, then I'd see NO reason to mess with 5 or 7 analog cables coming out the back of your computer.

*even if they only pass the DTS or Dolby "core" (if it works that way in games), I'd still opt for a receiver with either optical or HDMI connection.

If you want to play the analog purist game, your better off starting with an analog source, and that rules out videogames. With digital audio you gain nothing by converting to analog sooner rather than later on in the chain.
Quote:

I said I want analog with the best quality you can get. No digital shizz wink.gif

post #28 of 52 Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No toslink or digital coax. I said I want analog with the best quality you can get. No digital shizz wink.gif

Also, how do I connect the GPU And Sound card then? Not that I won't, since I won't be using a HDMI, but out of curiosity? Or are they already connected through the motherboard?

There is usually an SPDI/F cable inside the computer that connects to the GPU to the sound card. Should have come with your video card. In some cases you can redirect audio straight to the HDMI port also.
post #29 of 52 Old 01-26-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Can anybody recommend a good receiver? What am I looking for in a 'good' receiver? What determines why a receiver is "better" than another?

Thanks again !

- lillemakken

EDIT: Is this a good receiver for the requirements listed above? Meaning lossless surround quality 5.1 (Uncompressed PCM, Dolby TrueHD & Dts-HD Master) << Harman Kardon 5.1 receiver AVR 156 >> http://www.digitalcinema.com.au/Harman-Kardon-AVR-156-Receiver-with-HDMI-V1-4a-p/harman-kardon-avr156.htm

OR

How about this one? --> << VSX-527-K >> http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/42/98/405/VSX-527-K/page.html
@baniels,

If I were going the HDMI way, what would I need then to what and ... Just, could you explain in-depth the HDMI chain? What do I need and what connects to what?

Much appreciated smile.gif Also, on different forums, I have read users stating that games do not send out a digital 5.1. That's contradicting you, so who's right? lol
post #30 of 52 Old 01-26-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@baniels,

If I were going the HDMI way, what would I need then to what and ... Just, could you explain in-depth the HDMI chain? What do I need and what connects to what?

Much appreciated smile.gif Also, on different forums, I have read users stating that games do not send out a digital 5.1. That's contradicting you, so who's right? lol

Honestly, I'm not sure. I read both - that it does and that it does not. If I were you, I'd go to a dedicated computer forum and READ then ask if you can't find the answers. This place would be a good start http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33.

Asus Xonar and a receiver with analog inputs might be the right way to go.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page