PC/Xbox to TV via HDMI, TV to receiver via optical - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-08-2013, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. I am looking to buy an older Marantz receiver (http://marantz.co.uk/uk/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=HomeTheatre&SubCatId=AVReceiver&ProductId=SR6200&Status=Discontinue) which doesnt have HDMI inputs/outputs.
I own a Philips HDTV - 4000 series (http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/4/47pfl4007k_12/47pfl4007k_12_pss_aen.pdf).
I want to connect my PC and my Xbox to the TV via HDMI and my TV to the receiver via optical. However, I have some questions:
- I know that HDMI contains audio signal besides video, so will the TV be able to use the optical to output the sound to the receiver, or will it not work at all?
- Is this setup ideal? Will I get the best sound and image quality with this setup? I want my receiver to be able to reproduce 5.1 surround sound from my PC (blurays) and my Xbox.
Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 130
While the TV will likely output audio over optical, it will almost certainly be limited to stereo. Some TVs will output DD 5.1 from external devices. But, very few do DTS and the vast majority of BDs have DTS soundtracks. So, you need to run optical or coax direct from the devices to the receiver in order to get discrete 5.1.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-10-2013, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Your TV will output audio from our PC but it is always going to be Stereo unless your TV supports 5.1 out ( and most dont ! ).

Does your PC have a 5.1 analog output ? If you have this ( meaning three 3.5mm jacks, or a SPDIF Port ( looks just like your 3.5mm port - Check manual ) ) you can connect it to multichannel input in your receiver and you will have 5.1 ( just set your windows preferred sound to this source.

Yes, your computer will send audio and video signals to your tv via hdmi. that will work again, but again may not be 5.1 PCM or DTS.

You may get awesome video with the HDMI but not sound as you are trying to route it throught the TV. You can still connect your Xbox to other inputs in the reciever and get 5.1 from your games on Xbox.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page