No surround sound from apple tv? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-08-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I finally got my 5.1 system setup and I have just started testing it but I can't seem to get 5.1 from Apple TV or the YouTube app on my bluray player. To be fair I tried the Youtube app on my Apple TV and it also didn't have 5.1 surround sound. Movie previews and music played over air play also didn't have surround sound on my Apple TV. I went into the settings on Apple TV and made sure dolby digital was turned ON and I made sure "multiple channel" was selected in the settings of the bluray player. What gives? When I play a bluray disc in the player I get 5.1 and nothing I have tested on the Apple TV gets 5.1. Pretty sure the receiver is setup correctly as I get 5.1 from Directv, Xbox and the 1 bluray disc I tried. Any thoughts on this? (everything is hooked to the receiver via HDMI then I HDMI cable goes to the TV)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-08-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Players have different capabilities, protocols, and settings.

Before you ask for help, you need to mention the make and model number of the player, receiver, and the other equipment involved.

Your hookup seems correct, so the menu settings are probably the problem.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-08-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

I have a Sony KDS 55A2000 TV hooked up to a Pioneer VSX1022 receiver with the apple TV2 connected to the receiver and the receiver connected to the TV all via HDMI. I have my speakers turned off on the TV and the receiver setup via AUTO MCACC and set to "auto surround sound" and the Apple TV audio setting on Dolby Digital. When I watch a Bluray or watch TV it plays in 5.1, however everything I have tried over the Apple TV plays in 2.1 (music over airplay, movie previews from the iTunes store and the YouTube app). Is there any other info you need? Thanks in advance for your help.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-08-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Hmmm...I have my apple tv running to my tv via hdmi and an optical return line to my receiver. might try it. I get full sound from it

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Setup Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Are you playing content that has DD 5.1 soundtracks? The sources you mention may only be stereo. My AppleTV has Audio set to Auto and Dolby Digital set to On. I get DD 5.1 on some Netflix programs.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

@BIslander- I suppose some of the stuff may not be in 5.1. The movie preview said DD but that might not count the preview. As for music over AirPlay I thought all iTunes music, or any cd you buy nowadays, came in 5.1? Also on the YouTube app I am watching a few 5.1 sound tests so surely the are recorded in 5.1? The real test would be to rent a movie from iTunes that has the DD logo however that doesn't solve the problem with the YouTube app or the music on AirPlay...
post #7 of 8 Old 01-09-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 130
DD does not necessarily mean 5.1. Dolby Digital is a compression codec and the content could be stereo. The source needs to be DD 5.1 to be true surround sound. If you have a Netflix account, you'll find plenty of 5.1 content to test on AppleTV.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-19-2013, 03:30 PM

To get surround sound from Netflix on Apple TV (or any device) – at least in Sweden – you have to change an video quality setting on your Netflix account page: https://movies.netflix.com/HdToggle

When it's set on "High" it only streams with stereo sound. But set on "Highest" I finally get surround sound on my Apple TV.

And yes, trying to figure this out drove me crazy changing all kinds of settings on my Apple TV, surround system and television set which didn't help. And no, Netflix support didn't figure this one out for me, it was more of a coincidence smile.gif
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page