wiring and room setup for 5.1 system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-09-2013, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok so most common is a 5.1 and my room is 9.5ft x 14ftlength. how high do the speakers require normally to be. right at the top? middle sound bar is bottom or on top tv? i made a picture of the room. what gauge to the rears? 16g fine?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-09-2013, 05:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 1126
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoV600 View Post

ok so most common is a 5.1 and my room is 9.5ft x 14ftlength. how high do the speakers require normally to be. right at the top? middle sound bar is bottom or on top tv? i made a picture of the room. what gauge to the rears? 16g fine?

What an acoustic nightmare!

How about you first asking about better configurations for the room?
post #3 of 10 Old 01-09-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Come on Arny, you can be more helpful than that!

Soundbars usually include LCR channels. Do you have a "soundbar" or a "center channel" requiring the L/R speakers you show in the corners.

In general, speakers don't like boundaries. "On-wall" can be accomodated, the issue is sidewalls when you put speakers in the corner. Pull the L/R out of the corner, closer to the TV. Don't worry so much about surrounds spacing to walls, but realize they belong to the side, not behind the listener in 5.1.

The same is true of ears. You will hear better sound if you put some space behind your head, and will find the best sound toward the room center.

The one exception is bass, where corner subwoofer placement greatly increases SPL capability, at the price of exciting all the room modes. As long as this is not in the basement (concrete/cinder block walls), you may not have bad mode issues.

Speakers normally want to be at ear level, so you hear the on-axis response. CC's can be above or below; do what sounds good and works for you.

16 AWG is fine.

Have fun,
Frank
post #4 of 10 Old 01-09-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

damm hard to find 14/2 in wall @ 100ft cheap. damm places 80+ frown.gif. so i could get away with 16awg. centre speaker i am thinking puting just below the tv or if i do on the top i be putting it on a bit of a angle down. the side speakers i figuired i put up high and face down because did not want them looking to bit out of place.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-09-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

damm hard to find 14/2 in wall @ 100ft cheap. damm places 80+ frown.gif. so i could get away with 16awg. centre speaker i am thinking puting just below the tv or if i do on the top i be putting it on a bit of a angle down. the side speakers i figuired i put up high and face down because did not want them looking to bit out of place.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

damm hard to find 14/2 in wall @ 100ft cheap. damm places 80+ frown.gif.

Dunno if they ship to Canada, but: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023902&p_id=2820&seq=1&format=2

post #7 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

where would you guys locate speakers in my drawing? "Fronts" , "Rear" and "centre" ?

rears up at 3/4 way up? same for fronts? but next to tv or closer to the corners? centre i think below tv.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
The best sound is typically produced with all three speakers at the front having their tweeters at the same level, preferably at your ear level while in your main listening position.

Many of us compromise in some fashion, but having your front left and right up high and the center below the TV is going to sound weird when sounds pan across the front.

The surrounds are a bit more flexible, you can have them at ear level or you can mount them a few feet above your listening position. If they're direct radiating speakers it's often best to aim them down a bit if you do mount them high.

post #9 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov View Post

Come on Arny, you can be more helpful than that!

That is a judgement that I continue to reserve for myself.

There's no amount of technology that can be thrown at a bad room or bad room layout that will mitigate basic bad planning.

Those who wish to be codependent and in denial can lead the mislead further down unproductive paths if that is what they wish to do.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

where would you guys locate speakers in my drawing? "Fronts" , "Rear" and "centre" ?

rears up at 3/4 way up? same for fronts? but next to tv or closer to the corners? centre i think below tv.

You need so do something about listening locations that seem to be slammed hard up against what appear to be a highly reflective walls.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page