Speaker wire question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 01-09-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Yamaha RX-V863 receiver and I have Jamo S 426 HCS 3 surround sound speakers. This setup will go into my basement which is not too big. Where is a good place to buy the speaker wire? Can I use clips with this receiver?

Thank you for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-09-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Home Depot or Lowes. Don't waste money on fancy speaker wire. Read this:

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
Gizmologist likes this.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #3 of 28 Old 01-09-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Glimmie,

Thank you so much for the link. I will have to take some time and read what it says. I was planning on checking out the Home Depot by my house to see how much speaker wire is. I also found this on amazon which looks like a good deal

http://www.amazon.com/Cadence-14g152m-blue-Gauge-Speaker-Spool/dp/B004T0FWF0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Do you think 14 gauge is good or should I do 12? If this is in the article then I will have to read through it.

Thank you
post #4 of 28 Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry8989 View Post

Hi Glimmie,
Thank you so much for the link. I will have to take some time and read what it says. I was planning on checking out the Home Depot by my house to see how much speaker wire is. I also found this on amazon which looks like a good deal
http://www.amazon.com/Cadence-14g152m-blue-Gauge-Speaker-Spool/dp/B004T0FWF0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Do you think 14 gauge is good or should I do 12? If this is in the article then I will have to read through it.
Thank you

16 gauge is all you need. 14 gauge will work fine as well, but is a little overkill. I stick to the formula of speaker cost to speaker wire cost. If you spent $700 on speakers, why be a cheap bastard and buy lowes speaker wire when you can spend $30 at KnuKonceptz and ensure yourself that your speaker wire will not be the weak link in your home theater. But if you only spent $200 on your speakers, then Walmart 16 gauge OFC speaker wire is just fine.

You may consider these:
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KAR16SS-100

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KRD16BL

post #5 of 28 Old 01-09-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

neuspeed94,

Thanks for your reply. I will check walmart and see what they have. Is the wire I posted any good? It's 150ft and I want to make sure I have enough.

Thanks again for your help
post #6 of 28 Old 01-09-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Most of the wire Walmart and other chain stores sell is actually copper-clad aluminum wire, which is garbage.

Get 14 gauge pure copper speaker wire from Monoprice; A 100-foot roll is only $25. Cheep.

Monoprice #2791.

!4 gauge is good for any run up to around 35 feet; use #12 for longer runs.
post #7 of 28 Old 01-09-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Commsysmam,

Thank you so much for your help. I will go with the 12 gauge because it might be further than 35 eventually. Would using clips or banana connectors make for a better sound and if so which ones do u recommend.

Thank you so much
post #8 of 28 Old 01-09-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuspeed94 View Post

16 gauge is all you need. 14 gauge will work fine as well, but is a little overkill. I stick to the formula of speaker cost to speaker wire cost. If you spent $700 on speakers, why be a cheap bastard and buy lowes speaker wire when you can spend $30 at KnuKonceptz and ensure yourself that your speaker wire will not be the weak link in your home theater. But if you only spent $200 on your speakers, then Walmart 16 gauge OFC speaker wire is just fine.

You may consider these:
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KAR16SS-100

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KRD16BL

So if I buy $20,000 speakers, then do I need $2000 wire? This is cowboy logic! As long as the wire is all copper and of the proper gauge for the distance it doesn't matter. Read the Roger Russell paper. Spending money in this fashion is a waste.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #9 of 28 Old 01-09-2013, 08:18 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

So if I buy $20,000 speakers, then do I need $2000 wire? Spending money in this fashion is a waste.

Lol exactly!
post #10 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Commsysmam,

Thank you so much for your help. I will go with the 12 gauge because it might be further than 35 eventually. Would using clips or banana connectors make for a better sound and if so which ones do u recommend.

Thank you so much

Clips or banana plugs or spades or any such connector won't improve your sound. Indeed, if you manage somehow to make poor electrical contact when putting them on your wires your sound can degrade. The reason for using such devices is appearance and convenience. Appearance because sometimes your installation just looks better with connectors, and convenience because it is a LOT easier to disconnect/reconnect bananas than it is to do so with bare wire. This can be particularly important behind your receiver where space can get rather cramped and vision may be impaired.

post #11 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

JD in NJ,

Thank you so much for your advice. Where my setup will be is going to be tight so I may use them.

Thanks again everyone for all your help. My plan is to go with 12 gauge all copper wire with banana clips.
post #12 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

So if I buy $20,000 speakers, then do I need $2000 wire? This is cowboy logic! As long as the wire is all copper and of the proper gauge for the distance it doesn't matter. Read the Roger Russell paper. Spending money in this fashion is a waste.

All I meant by that is don't hook up absolutely amazing speakers with junk wire just to save a few bucks. It's like buying a Ferrari and putting cheap donut tires on it. Why do that?

post #13 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Most of the wire Walmart and other chain stores sell is actually copper-clad aluminum wire, which is garbage.

Absolutely, always get wire that is pure copper. Walmart does carry speaker wire that is OFC pure copper, but only one kind.

post #14 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

All I meant by that is don't hook up absolutely amazing speakers with junk wire just to save a few bucks. It's like buying a Ferrari and putting cheap donut tires on it. Why do that?

Bad analogy. Putting cheap tires on a Ferrari would actually reduce the performance which could easily be measured. Can't say the same about wires.
post #15 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Bad analogy. Putting cheap tires on a Ferrari would actually reduce the performance which could easily be measured. Can't say the same about wires.

Sure you can, try 200 feet of 30 gauge steel wire. You could measure the performance shortcomings easily, I'm sure. As I see it, there's a certain level you need to reach, "good enough", which can be determined based on the length of the run and will generally be somewhere between 12 and 18 gauge of decently pure copper for most installations.

post #16 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD in NJ View Post

Sure you can, try 200 feet of 30 gauge steel wire. You could measure the performance shortcomings easily, I'm sure. As I see it, there's a certain level you need to reach, "good enough", which can be determined based on the length of the run and will generally be somewhere between 12 and 18 gauge of decently pure copper for most installations.

Yes, that is obvious - not sure why it would need to be stated..
post #17 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, that is obvious - not sure why it would need to be stated..

When it comes to speaker cable discussions, or indeed audio discussions in general, what is obvious to some may seem like a complete mystery to others. I wasn't trying to shoot you down in any way, I was just trying to put out the idea that "yes, cables do matter, but the performance floor isn't where many would have you think it is."

post #18 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
If you spent $700 on speakers, why be a cheap bastard and buy lowes speaker wire when you can spend $30 at KnuKonceptz and ensure yourself that your speaker wire will not be the weak link in your home theater.
If you spent only $700 on speakers, I absolutely guarantee you that they are the weak point in your system. You can't buy wire that bad.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #19 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

If you spent only $700 on speakers, I absolutely guarantee you that they are the weak point in your system. You can't buy wire that bad.

How much do you have to spend?
post #20 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
How much do you have to spend?
For what?

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #21 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:

Quote:

+1

One of the ironies of life is the fact that $40-60 high end branded speaker wire (e.g. Monster) often has thinner conductors than 50 cent a foot 12 gauge from a home improvement store.
post #22 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 03:30 PM

Speakers
post #23 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

+1

One of the ironies of life is the fact that $40-60 high end branded speaker wire (e.g. Monster) often has thinner conductors than 50 cent a foot 12 gauge from a home improvement store.

I will say that I've learned a lot from this forum and from guys like you Arny, over the last many months.
When I first started frequenting AVS I thought I heard differences in wires......and DACs.
Probably from the many other forums I visit, I was convinced they were correct.
It wasnt till I came here and saw the other point of view that I found i really couldnt hear a difference.
I think I wanted to, so I did. With a different perspective and many hrs listening, I know this not to be true now.
So thanks for that,

Some things I'm still working on.....like the all amps thing though.....wink.gif
post #24 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 03:53 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry R View Post

It wasnt till I came here and saw the other point of view that I found i really couldnt hear a difference.

Sometimes it's amazing how reviews of certain components can influence our judgment of its sonics. For example, I might change speakers in my system and only think it's a real small improvement. However, if I read a magazine's glowing review before listening to my switch, my mind thinks the differences are that much more dramatic.
post #25 of 28 Old 01-10-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

JD in NJ,

Thank you so much for your advice. Where my setup will be is going to be tight so I may use them.

Thanks again everyone for all your help. My plan is to go with 12 gauge all copper wire with banana clips.
Perhaps you can get a link to someplace that has banana clips that accept 12 gauge wire. You may need a heavy duty soldering iron.
post #26 of 28 Old 01-11-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

+1

I wouldn't doubt it. I run Royal Cable 100% OFC wire that was cheap and see no point at upgrading beyond them. I believe we are thinking the same thing, just describing it in very different ways.

post #27 of 28 Old 01-27-2013, 11:56 AM

Looking for opinions. Room was prewired with 16 awg. I had some older lengths of 18awg. Would it matter much if I used that, or just go and pick up some 16 to match it. Having said that, if I used 14, would it be of any benefit?

I need to make a number of short lengths of approx 18". They will run from the AVR to the faceplate, and then from each speaker faceplate to the speaker.
post #28 of 28 Old 01-28-2013, 08:34 AM

Liked: 15
18 should be fine for such a short length.

Wishing I could post in the Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page