Surround sound from All PCM ? / Spotify / WMP etc ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I have a Yamaha RX V 665 ( To a Samsung 50" ) connected to my PC for it to play audio and video. I use this primarily for audio video editing and gaming purposes.

I wanna know if it would be possible to stream all audio coming out of the computer via bitstream ? For example, if I play music on Windows Media Player or Spotify, the signal is sent to my reciever and it plays stereo( as the source is ! ) and plays in my FR and FL. I am unable to change the output to then 7ch Stereo etc. ( I understand that this is PCM )

I can still change it to do all that all on Media Player Classic as I have MPC configured to bitstream. I have been using spotify lately much and would be great if I can play the audio from WMP and Spotify as a 7channel sound.

Is this even possible or am I asking for too much ?

Any help is much appreciated !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-11-2013, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Bitstream=the (same number of channels as the) source.

If you want to take a 2 channel source and convert it into a faux 7.1 channel signal then the best bet (and best algorithms) is to use your receiver's Dolby Pro Logic II. You can also experiment with your receiver's other DSP settings like 7 Channel Stereo.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hello William

I understand that. But I am unable to do so as Windows is sending my sound to my receiver and the receiver is not able to use the 7ch Stereo and other similar Faux sound modes. It simply says " Not Available ". This happens with Windows Media Player, Spotify etc.

But, when I am playing the same stuff through Media Player Classic, I am able to use the faux surround sound.

Do you know how I can set up the other sound devices ( WMP Spotify ) to do the same ??

Thanks !
post #4 of 9 Old 01-11-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidrockrulz View Post

Hello All,

I have a Yamaha RX V 665 ( To a Samsung 50" ) connected to my PC for it to play audio and video. I use this primarily for audio video editing and gaming purposes.

I wanna know if it would be possible to stream all audio coming out of the computer via bitstream ? For example, if I play music on Windows Media Player or Spotify, the signal is sent to my reciever and it plays stereo( as the source is ! ) and plays in my FR and FL. I am unable to change the output to then 7ch Stereo etc. ( I understand that this is PCM )

I can still change it to do all that all on Media Player Classic as I have MPC configured to bitstream. I have been using spotify lately much and would be great if I can play the audio from WMP and Spotify as a 7channel sound.

Is this even possible or am I asking for too much ?

Any help is much appreciated !

Exactly how do you have this connected...with what cables, and going from where to where?

Espo77
post #5 of 9 Old 01-12-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
OP, if you are talking about using the receiver to expand to seven channels, the PCM-ness of the incoming signal should not be a problem as the receiver would decode any dolby or similar signal to PCM before performing any EQ, channel expansion etc. If your computer is sending the stereo sound as if it were multichannel (with silence in the center, surrounds and LFE) the receiver will not extract the extra channels because it thinks they're already there. They actually are there, technically. You can have the same problem with some OTA broadcasts which will send a stereo soundtrack as DD5.1 so that the receiver can't or won't expand it. It should be easy enough to see if the Yamaha thinks it's getting multichannel input when you send a stereo program . . . but IDK exactly where the relevant display is.

To the extent you don't get a good answer here, since it could be a computer issue, I'd suggest asking on the HTPC forum.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-22-2013, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

Exactly how do you have this connected...with what cables, and going from where to where?

I'm connected from the comp to the receiver via HDMI ..
post #7 of 9 Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

OP, if you are talking about using the receiver to expand to seven channels, the PCM-ness of the incoming signal should not be a problem as the receiver would decode any dolby or similar signal to PCM before performing any EQ, channel expansion etc. If your computer is sending the stereo sound as if it were multichannel (with silence in the center, surrounds and LFE) the receiver will not extract the extra channels because it thinks they're already there. They actually are there, technically. You can have the same problem with some OTA broadcasts which will send a stereo soundtrack as DD5.1 so that the receiver can't or won't expand it. It should be easy enough to see if the Yamaha thinks it's getting multichannel input when you send a stereo program . . . but IDK exactly where the relevant display is.

To the extent you don't get a good answer here, since it could be a computer issue, I'd suggest asking on the HTPC forum.

Yup jhaz... This is exactly whats happening.. Are you aware of a workaround to split this over to proper 7.1 or 5.1 ???
post #8 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Not sure what "proper" means to you, but if your source does not contain the discrete multichannel mix, nothing you can do after you receive the datacan resurrect whatever's not there. And AFAIK, there's no way to make a decoder treat silent channels as non-channels (after channels might be silent from time to time on purpose in a multichannel mix). So short of outputting analog stereo into a device that can re-digitize it and then extract (via some software process like DTS) additional channels, you're, as they say, SOL. At least AFAIK. And the receiver that digitizes incoming analog is rare, or at least expensive . . . again, AFAIK.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

hmmm...

by proper i meant converting stereo to surround sound... But i suppose that aint possible now !

Thanks anyway smile.gif
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page