Lack of BASS while playing itunes on my new HT setup. HELP! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 Old 01-12-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sealteamz6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Okay so recently I upgraded my HT setup. I have a Yamaha Adventage RX-A710 AVR. I have had that for over a year now. I just upgraded to the andrew jones pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.0 setup and got two epik legends.

When I play games or blu rays off my ps3 the setup sounds amazing. So much great bass. I have my PC connected to my avr via optical cable. When I play games on the system the sound is great as is the bass.

Now here is my problem, When I play music off of my Itunes i notice a severe lack in bass as well as mid bass. I also notice this playing spotify. Hence music sounds like crap. Now when i play music on Firefox like pandora or youtube there is no lack of bass and it sounds great. I know the issue is NOT the quality of my music. Played through headphones it sounds fine and before when I had my logitech 2.1 speakers hooked up i never had this issue. I just finished building a computer for my buddy. I put all of my music on his computer hooked it up to my avr via optical and had the same thing happen. Lack of bass. Again its not the quality of the music. I have downloaded LOSSLESS of the same songs to check if its the quality and I get the same thing.

I have been googling the issue and coming up empty handed. I have fiddled with the settings for the Realtek drivers and the audio on my pc and even uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I have gone through my avr settings to see if i could change something that would fix it but i came up with nothing.
sealteamz6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 64 Old 01-12-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Sorry to hear you haven't figured that out yet, after reading your pm on that I couldn't think of anything. I'm staying tuned in now so I can find out too.

PS What sound modes are you in when you compare the different sources?

lovinthehd is offline  
post #3 of 64 Old 01-12-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sealteamz6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Sorry to hear you haven't figured that out yet, after reading your pm on that I couldn't think of anything. I'm staying tuned in now so I can find out too.

PS What sound modes are you in when you compare the different sources?

What do you mean by sound modes? Like on my AVR?

In terms of the realtek drivers I have it set to dolby 5.1. When I switch it back to non 5.1 the bass does not return. In terms of my AVR Im running it in straight (surr decode mode). I just experimented by putting it in 7.1 music mode. And i am getting a lot more bass. But im not sure why in straight mode is lacks bass on spotify and itunes and not youtube or anything playing off firefox like pandora
sealteamz6 is offline  
post #4 of 64 Old 01-13-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Espo77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Delmarva Peninsula, Maryland
Posts: 1,972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 View Post

Okay so recently I upgraded my HT setup. I have a Yamaha Adventage RX-A710 AVR. I have had that for over a year now. I just upgraded to the andrew jones pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.0 setup and got two epik legends.

When I play games or blu rays off my ps3 the setup sounds amazing. So much great bass. I have my PC connected to my avr via optical cable. When I play games on the system the sound is great as is the bass.

Now here is my problem, When I play music off of my Itunes i notice a severe lack in bass as well as mid bass. I also notice this playing spotify. Hence music sounds like crap. Now when i play music on Firefox like pandora or youtube there is no lack of bass and it sounds great. I know the issue is NOT the quality of my music. Played through headphones it sounds fine and before when I had my logitech 2.1 speakers hooked up i never had this issue. I just finished building a computer for my buddy. I put all of my music on his computer hooked it up to my avr via optical and had the same thing happen. Lack of bass. Again its not the quality of the music. I have downloaded LOSSLESS of the same songs to check if its the quality and I get the same thing.

I have been googling the issue and coming up empty handed. I have fiddled with the settings for the Realtek drivers and the audio on my pc and even uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I have gone through my avr settings to see if i could change something that would fix it but i came up with nothing.

I had the same complaint with Pandora...lack of bass, unless the recording was very high quality. I have upgraded to Pandora One, which plays at 192 kbps. Much higher fidelity. Are you certain that your problem is not due to the fact that you are listening to MP3...lossy material on itunes and spotify?

Espo77
Espo77 is offline  
post #5 of 64 Old 01-13-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Espo77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Delmarva Peninsula, Maryland
Posts: 1,972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 View Post

Okay so recently I upgraded my HT setup. I have a Yamaha Adventage RX-A710 AVR. I have had that for over a year now. I just upgraded to the andrew jones pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.0 setup and got two epik legends.

When I play games or blu rays off my ps3 the setup sounds amazing. So much great bass. I have my PC connected to my avr via optical cable. When I play games on the system the sound is great as is the bass.

Now here is my problem, When I play music off of my Itunes i notice a severe lack in bass as well as mid bass. I also notice this playing spotify. Hence music sounds like crap. Now when i play music on Firefox like pandora or youtube there is no lack of bass and it sounds great. I know the issue is NOT the quality of my music. Played through headphones it sounds fine and before when I had my logitech 2.1 speakers hooked up i never had this issue. I just finished building a computer for my buddy. I put all of my music on his computer hooked it up to my avr via optical and had the same thing happen. Lack of bass. Again its not the quality of the music. I have downloaded LOSSLESS of the same songs to check if its the quality and I get the same thing.

I have been googling the issue and coming up empty handed. I have fiddled with the settings for the Realtek drivers and the audio on my pc and even uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I have gone through my avr settings to see if i could change something that would fix it but i came up with nothing.

I had the same complaint with Pandora...lack of bass, unless the recording was very high quality. I have upgraded to Pandora One, which plays at 192 kbps. Much higher fidelity. Are you certain that your problem is not due to the fact that you are listening to MP3...lossy material on itunes and spotify?

Espo77
Espo77 is offline  
post #6 of 64 Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 View Post

Okay so recently I upgraded my HT setup. I have a Yamaha Adventage RX-A710 AVR. I have had that for over a year now. I just upgraded to the andrew jones pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.0 setup and got two epik legends.

When I play games or blu rays off my ps3 the setup sounds amazing. So much great bass. I have my PC connected to my avr via optical cable. When I play games on the system the sound is great as is the bass.

Now here is my problem, When I play music off of my Itunes i notice a severe lack in bass as well as mid bass. I also notice this playing spotify. Hence music sounds like crap. Now when i play music on Firefox like pandora or youtube there is no lack of bass and it sounds great. I know the issue is NOT the quality of my music. Played through headphones it sounds fine and before when I had my logitech 2.1 speakers hooked up i never had this issue. I just finished building a computer for my buddy. I put all of my music on his computer hooked it up to my avr via optical and had the same thing happen. Lack of bass. Again its not the quality of the music. I have downloaded LOSSLESS of the same songs to check if its the quality and I get the same thing.

I have been googling the issue and coming up empty handed. I have fiddled with the settings for the Realtek drivers and the audio on my pc and even uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I have gone through my avr settings to see if i could change something that would fix it but i came up with nothing.

I suspect that your system is basically down on bass but you have configured you PS3 so that you are getting partial compensation for it.

Now, you need to do the same thing for your PC. Most PC sound cards have graphic equalizers, and many music players have graphic equalizers. There are music players like Winamp and Foobar2000 that support fairly power plug-in equalizers.
arnyk is offline  
post #7 of 64 Old 01-13-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 View Post

Okay so recently I upgraded my HT setup. I have a Yamaha Adventage RX-A710 AVR. I have had that for over a year now. I just upgraded to the andrew jones pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.0 setup and got two epik legends.

When I play games or blu rays off my ps3 the setup sounds amazing. So much great bass. I have my PC connected to my avr via optical cable. When I play games on the system the sound is great as is the bass.

Now here is my problem, When I play music off of my Itunes i notice a severe lack in bass as well as mid bass. I also notice this playing spotify. Hence music sounds like crap. Now when i play music on Firefox like pandora or youtube there is no lack of bass and it sounds great. I know the issue is NOT the quality of my music. Played through headphones it sounds fine and before when I had my logitech 2.1 speakers hooked up i never had this issue. I just finished building a computer for my buddy. I put all of my music on his computer hooked it up to my avr via optical and had the same thing happen. Lack of bass. Again its not the quality of the music. I have downloaded LOSSLESS of the same songs to check if its the quality and I get the same thing.

I have been googling the issue and coming up empty handed. I have fiddled with the settings for the Realtek drivers and the audio on my pc and even uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I have gone through my avr settings to see if i could change something that would fix it but i came up with nothing.

I suspect that your system is basically down on bass but you have configured you PS3 so that you are getting partial compensation for it.

Now, you need to do the same thing for your PC. Most PC sound cards have graphic equalizers, and many music players have graphic equalizers. There are music players like Winamp and Foobar2000 that support fairly power plug-in equalizers.

Arny, am a great admirer of your opinion, but in this case he is getting excellent bass from his system except in these specific circumstances. He's got dual Epik Legends, no slouches when it comes to bass. You're suggesting merely to use profiles with bass boost? OP and I have gone back and forth a lot on the Epiks when he was shopping but when it came to the specific problem I really couldn't think of the reasons why, although using different sound modes/profiles can definitely help. I have a compression restoration thing on my Pioneer and Onkyo AVRs that seem to help, as well as playing not through direct 2.0 but through 2.1 or other modes but not sure that helps the OP....

lovinthehd is offline  
post #8 of 64 Old 01-13-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Also might help to repeat your sub level setup here, sealteamz

lovinthehd is offline  
post #9 of 64 Old 01-13-2013, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sealteamz6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

I had the same complaint with Pandora...lack of bass, unless the recording was very high quality. I have upgraded to Pandora One, which plays at 192 kbps. Much higher fidelity. Are you certain that your problem is not due to the fact that you are listening to MP3...lossy material on itunes and spotify?

I am 100% positive its not an issue with the quality of the music. From what I know the difference between 320mp3 and lossless isnt super noticeable and thats what all my music is in. But to make sure that wasnt the issue I downloaded some lossless music and had the same result so i concluded quality wasnt the issue
sealteamz6 is offline  
post #10 of 64 Old 01-13-2013, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sealteamz6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I suspect that your system is basically down on bass but you have configured you PS3 so that you are getting partial compensation for it.

Now, you need to do the same thing for your PC. Most PC sound cards have graphic equalizers, and many music players have graphic equalizers. There are music players like Winamp and Foobar2000 that support fairly power plug-in equalizers.

Well I the ps3 just outputs lossless audio from an hdmi and the content played utilizes proper codecs and whatnot like true hd sound. My pc outputs via optical.

I don't think its an equalizer setting. I have kinda played with that on itunes and am not really noticing a difference. Maybe itunes and spotify have something built into their coding that causes some sort of loss of bass and midbass in my case. but the equalizer settings dont seem to be having much effect. Also i don't have a sound card im using the realtek hd sound off the mobo
sealteamz6 is offline  
post #11 of 64 Old 01-20-2013, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sealteamz6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Also setting my center channel at small versus large seems to greatly impact bass. Set to small there isnt much bass set to large there is a lot more. I don't get why. Crossover is set to 80hz. The manual I received with my pioneer speakers says to set the center at small for dolby and dts modes which are not the modes i use when listening to my music on my comp but they are what i use for movies obviously
sealteamz6 is offline  
post #12 of 64 Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 View Post

Also setting my center channel at small versus large seems to greatly impact bass. Set to small there isnt much bass set to large there is a lot more. I don't get why. Crossover is set to 80hz. The manual I received with my pioneer speakers says to set the center at small for dolby and dts modes which are not the modes i use when listening to my music on my comp but they are what i use for movies obviously

From this comment I conclude two things.

(1) Your center channel speaker has pretty good bass response. Otherwise, changing its setting from large to small with a 80 Hz crossover wouldn't make much difference, or the system's bass would be maximized with the speakers all set to small (routing the bass to the subwoofer which having better bass response, actually increases the total bass from the system.)

(2) Your subwoofer's level is set very low. If it set properly, changing the size settings of anny other speakers in the system would not have much effect on overall system bass. If your subwoofer level is set right, setting any or all of your speakers to small routes the bass to your subwoofer, and being properly set up it handles the bass very nicely thank you. Setting any or all of your speakers to large routes the bass away from your subwoofer and to the other speakers that are set large, but since your subwoofer is properly set up, that doesn't change the sound of your system very much.
arnyk is offline  
post #13 of 64 Old 01-21-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Spanbauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I haven't read the entire thread so forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but two things came to mind:

1. When listening to iTunes, your center channel speaker shouldn't be doing anything; you want to be sure your receiver is only playing back a 2.1 source when listening to music. And if its true that your bass is coming from your center channel instead of your sub, that would explain why you noticed a lack of bass during 2.1 listening.

2. iTunes has an equilizer - try setting it to rock or bass boost and see if your results improve, but address the first issue first.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for my home theater setup
Spanbauer is offline  
post #14 of 64 Old 01-21-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sealteamz6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

From this comment I conclude two things.

(1) Your center channel speaker has pretty good bass response. Otherwise, changing its setting from large to small with a 80 Hz crossover wouldn't make much difference, or the system's bass would be maximized with the speakers all set to small (routing the bass to the subwoofer which having better bass response, actually increases the total bass from the system.)

(2) Your subwoofer's level is set very low. If it set properly, changing the size settings of anny other speakers in the system would not have much effect on overall system bass. If your subwoofer level is set right, setting any or all of your speakers to small routes the bass to your subwoofer, and being properly set up it handles the bass very nicely thank you. Setting any or all of your speakers to large routes the bass away from your subwoofer and to the other speakers that are set large, but since your subwoofer is properly set up, that doesn't change the sound of your system very much.

So you're saying all my speakers, my towers, center and surrounds should be set to small so bass is routed to my subs?

Let me clarify what I meant about the center channel. While I was playing music I was fiddling with the size of the speakers in the Yamaha AVRs settings. When I had the center set to large I noticed a lot less bass coming from my subs. When I set it to small I got a lot more bass from my subs. I did not really notice a difference in the bass of the center channel. Maybe the center does have decent bass, but the change in bass I heard I am quite positive was coming from my subs not my center channel.

Btw these are the Freq ranges for my speakers Frequency Range Towers 40 Hz-20 kHz Center 55 Hz-20 kHz surrounds 55 Hz - 20 kHz

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1004573/setting-up-your-subwoofer-101

^I found this so I will do some reading here as well to see if I can shed some light on my issue.

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass/bass-management-basics-2013-settings-made-simple

^this was quite useful even though I knew most of it. Didnt really understand about the large versus small though. since my speakers all extend to 55Hz or 40Hz I wonder if I should set my crossover to like 60 or 70 instead of 80......
sealteamz6 is offline  
post #15 of 64 Old 01-21-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sealteamz6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

I haven't read the entire thread so forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but two things came to mind:

1. When listening to iTunes, your center channel speaker shouldn't be doing anything; you want to be sure your receiver is only playing back a 2.1 source when listening to music. And if its true that your bass is coming from your center channel instead of your sub, that would explain why you noticed a lack of bass during 2.1 listening.

2. iTunes has an equilizer - try setting it to rock or bass boost and see if your results improve, but address the first issue first.

So I should not have my AVR set to straight or surr decode or 7 channel stereo? I should set it to 2.1 channel stereo? I notice music sounds the best in the 7 channel stereo mode. Equalizer has never worked, already tried it before
sealteamz6 is offline  
post #16 of 64 Old 01-21-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sealteamz6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I set all my speakers to small. Crossover to 80Hz, I think that may have fixed the issue but I have to leave for work so I will test more later to be sure.
sealteamz6 is offline  
post #17 of 64 Old 01-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Newbie
 
eddie123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new here, so maybe I don't understand the issue, but have you considered hooking up your computer to a DAC and connecting from the DAC to your receiver via analog inputs? It sounds like you may be getting the "compressed" sound typical of MP3 or Itunes before it's properly converted to analogue. Could it be that connecting via optical is not properly engaging the DAC in your amp, if there is one? Just a thought......
eddie123 is offline  
post #18 of 64 Old 01-21-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 View Post

So I should not have my AVR set to straight or surr decode or 7 channel stereo? I should set it to 2.1 channel stereo? I notice music sounds the best in the 7 channel stereo mode. Equalizer has never worked, already tried it before

If you like using ProLogic 2X music than keep using it. I don't think thats the reason you are not getting bass. Are your speakers set to small?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #19 of 64 Old 01-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Member
 
Remonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 View Post

I set all my speakers to small. Crossover to 80Hz, I think that may have fixed the issue but I have to leave for work so I will test more later to be sure.

You most likely fixed it, you almost always want to set all of your speakers to "small" otherwise they will be handling the entire frequency range without any help from the subwoofers. I like to set my crossover one octave above the -3dB point of my speakers. So if you say your towers can play down to 40Hz, an 80Hz crossover should work well and 60Hz will be ok, too.
Remonster is offline  
post #20 of 64 Old 01-21-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
sealman, kinda why I asked for details of your setup. I assumed you had at least tried the usual avr setups, especially the general speaker small setting, which is the norm for sub setups (as basically the avr reroutes sub content to the speakers you designate, so if the L/R/C are designated as large, the avr will route the sub info for general sub content instead to the "large" speaker(s) and leave the sub out of it. Even tho my L/C/R speakers may be capable of 50-60 hz range, there's a rolloff involved so you might want to aim up the ladder a bit, 80hz is a good point, but sometimes 60hz may work (but depends at what spec you mention the lower limits of your speakers and their natural roll off from that frequency spec....)

lovinthehd is offline  
post #21 of 64 Old 01-21-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Espo77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Delmarva Peninsula, Maryland
Posts: 1,972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie123 View Post

I'm new here, so maybe I don't understand the issue, but have you considered hooking up your computer to a DAC and connecting from the DAC to your receiver via analog inputs? It sounds like you may be getting the "compressed" sound typical of MP3 or Itunes before it's properly converted to analogue. Could it be that connecting via optical is not properly engaging the DAC in your amp, if there is one? Just a thought......

Yes, he is getting the compressed "Lack of bass" sound that comes from lossy MP3. It sounds like he desperately wants his MP3 music to sound "audiophile grade", but it's not happening. The Op, as some have suggested, doesn't have the system set up for best sonics as he has stated the EQ hasn't worked, and he is just now trying the "small" "80HZ" setting. I think he needs a good test disc with a sweeping test tone, from approx. 20 to 20000 HZ.

Espo77
Espo77 is offline  
post #22 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sealteamz6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

If you like using ProLogic 2X music than keep using it. I don't think thats the reason you are not getting bass. Are your speakers set to small?

Uh well I wasn't using prologic. And yes they are set to small now.
sealteamz6 is offline  
post #23 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sealteamz6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

sealman, kinda why I asked for details of your setup. I assumed you had at least tried the usual avr setups, especially the general speaker small setting, which is the norm for sub setups (as basically the avr reroutes sub content to the speakers you designate, so if the L/R/C are designated as large, the avr will route the sub info for general sub content instead to the "large" speaker(s) and leave the sub out of it. Even tho my L/C/R speakers may be capable of 50-60 hz range, there's a rolloff involved so you might want to aim up the ladder a bit, 80hz is a good point, but sometimes 60hz may work (but depends at what spec you mention the lower limits of your speakers and their natural roll off from that frequency spec....)

Haha Sorry Lovinthehd. I thought by setup you were referring to which speakers subs and amp i was using.
sealteamz6 is offline  
post #24 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sealteamz6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

Yes, he is getting the compressed "Lack of bass" sound that comes from lossy MP3. It sounds like he desperately wants his MP3 music to sound "audiophile grade", but it's not happening. The Op, as some have suggested, doesn't have the system set up for best sonics as he has stated the EQ hasn't worked, and he is just now trying the "small" "80HZ" setting. I think he needs a good test disc with a sweeping test tone, from approx. 20 to 20000 HZ.

Espo77, I appreciate your input, however I have made it quite clear that the quality of the audio files I am listening to is not the issue. My Itunes files are 320MP3. Youtube streams at 128MP3. It doesnt make sense I have no bass with itunes but bass with youtube. But it seems setting my speakers to small has fixed the issue I was having. On a side note, audiophilies can go on and on about mp3 being bad and lossless being the way to go but I have always been into great sound and quality gear and always been satisfied with MP3. Not to mention I barely notice any difference with Lossless versus MP3 and if im not mistaken many tests have shown that the difference is quite small. Obviously lossless is better but MP3 is not going to just give out no bass. my problem wasnt compressed bass, it was a lack of it. Now that I set my speakers to small I seem to be getting good bass from my subs while playing my music on itunes. I may be new to this compared to most of you, but I made sure it wasnt the audio quality considering I was getting the exact same sound (a lack of bass) playing a lossless file
sealteamz6 is offline  
post #25 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 AM
Newbie
 
eddie123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would argue that any musical format in your computer is still "compressed", how else can we store so much content? I would still recommend a DAC between your computer and your amp....in my view it's the only way to convert to audiophile quality. You would likely see a huge improvement on all content from your computer to your system. You wouldn't have to spend much... Musical Fidelity V-DAC's are excellent, around $300.
eddie123 is offline  
post #26 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post


Yes, he is getting the compressed "Lack of bass" sound that comes from lossy MP3.

There ain't no such thing. The last thing that MP3 compression does is actually mess with the frequency response in the audible range, particularly at low frequencies. If a MP3 file is properly made at a decent bitrate (192K or above) its most likely audible artifacts (if they are detectable at all) relate to impulsive sounds and dynamics, not bass extension.
arnyk is offline  
post #27 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie123 View Post

I would argue that any musical format in your computer is still "compressed", how else can we store so much content?

The above is simply false. The way that we store so much content on our computers is relatively cheap and small large capacity hard drives.

Uncompressed CD audio runs about 11 megabytes per minute. That means that just about any piece of modern music library averages from 30 to 50 megabytes per musical selection. Picking the larger number that is 20 musical selections per gigabyte and 20,000 musical selections per terabyte.

These days even cheap laptops come with half-terabyte hard drives (10,000 uncompressed musical selections) . Anybody who wants to can set up a 10 terabyte music server (200,000 musical selections) for chump change with a cheap desktop or laptop and a few 3 terabyte USB external hard drives.
arnyk is offline  
post #28 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Espo77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Delmarva Peninsula, Maryland
Posts: 1,972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 View Post

Espo77, I appreciate your input, however I have made it quite clear that the quality of the audio files I am listening to is not the issue. My Itunes files are 320MP3. Youtube streams at 128MP3. It doesnt make sense I have no bass with itunes but bass with youtube. But it seems setting my speakers to small has fixed the issue I was having. On a side note, audiophilies can go on and on about mp3 being bad and lossless being the way to go but I have always been into great sound and quality gear and always been satisfied with MP3. Not to mention I barely notice any difference with Lossless versus MP3 and if im not mistaken many tests have shown that the difference is quite small. Obviously lossless is better but MP3 is not going to just give out no bass. my problem wasnt compressed bass, it was a lack of it. Now that I set my speakers to small I seem to be getting good bass from my subs while playing my music on itunes. I may be new to this compared to most of you, but I made sure it wasnt the audio quality considering I was getting the exact same sound (a lack of bass) playing a lossless file

Also I'm thinking about what music artists you are listening to. Some pay attention to the recording process and dynamic range, some don't. What are some of your favorite albums or songs that you are listening to? I think that MP3's should go away and be replaced by the best possible quality. It's available, why not?

Espo77
Espo77 is offline  
post #29 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sealteamz6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

Also I'm thinking about what music artists you are listening to. Some pay attention to the recording process and dynamic range, some don't. What are some of your favorite albums or songs that you are listening to? I think that MP3's should go away and be replaced by the best possible quality. It's available, why not?

I listen to a bit of everything. My fav artist is AC/DC. I listen to anything from metal to rock to rap to hiphop to country to electronic music. For the past year ive mostly been listening to rap type music. I now mostly just listen to electronic music. I love high quality sound but I just personally dont hear a big enough difference between MP3 and Lossless to make it worth it. I just don't think getting rid of MP3 and replacing everything with the best quality audio would work or is realistic.

I mean for a blu ray movie it makes sense. You spend a minute popping in the movie and watch for a couple hours. For music I want ease of access and whatnot. Using lossless with everything would not allow us to fit the music on our ipods. At least I couldn't based on the fact that I have almost 5000 songs. Lossless music takes up tons of space and while HD capacitys are increasing they just arent large enough yet imo. Another reason is streaming. So many people are now listening to music on Pandora, Spotify, the radio, youtube, etc. Streaming lossless music would eat up a lot more bandwidth and while I wouldnt mind since I am on a fiber optic network 25up 25 down most people's internet isnt fast enough to handle having to stream a lot more data. I think the next step as internet speeds get faster is for streaming bitrates to be increased. However thats problematic because all the major cell companies limit data usage.
sealteamz6 is offline  
post #30 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
sealteamz6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie123 View Post

I would argue that any musical format in your computer is still "compressed", how else can we store so much content? I would still recommend a DAC between your computer and your amp....in my view it's the only way to convert to audiophile quality. You would likely see a huge improvement on all content from your computer to your system. You wouldn't have to spend much... Musical Fidelity V-DAC's are excellent, around $300.

I know little about DAC's but why would I wanna spend 300 dollars on something to convert a digital signal to an analog signal when all signals are moving towards digital and from what I know digital signals are better overall. How does converting a digital to analog signal increase quality?
sealteamz6 is offline  
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Yamaha Rx A710bl Receiver
Gear in this thread - A710bl by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off