Best way to wire my house speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-13-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have experience with basic audio/video wiring, but after much research I am still confused as to wiring my home for multiple ceiling/wall speakers. Here's what I would like to do -- I picked up a Denon 1913 2-zone receiver along with three pairs of Monoprice 8 Inch Kevlar 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers, one pair of their 8 Inch 2-Way Coaxial Waterproof Rock Speakers and one pair of their 5-1/4 Inch 2-Way Indoor/Outdoor Waterproof Speakers --- so, 10 speakers in all with volume controls on each pair. Obviously I would like to run all of these speakers off of my powered 2nd zone. How do I make this happen? How exactly do I wire each of these speakers? And what do i do with all of the wires ending up back at the receiver? Do I need a speaker selector? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-14-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12

A speaker selector is your only option, but IMO five pairs of speakers is probably more than you should put on an amplifier. Sure, the speaker selector will maintain the proper load for the amp – probably 8-ohms – but the amp’s power will be divided out between the speakers. Considering the 1913’s 90-watt rating, this means that each speaker will be getting no more than 18 watts at most.

So while the load might be correct, you might well be running the amp wide open, or close to it, to get the desired volume levels in the secondary zones. Naturally this will only shorten the amp’s life span. (Naturally, how efficient the speakers are – or not – will be a contributing factor to how much power output is demanded from the amp, as will how often you use the second zone.) Adding insult to injury, the speakers’ volume controls will suck out additional power. The speaker switcher itself may also be a power soak as well, as it uses a resistor network to maintain the 8-ohm load. So it’s highly probable that that 18 watts-per-speaker figure is optimistic .

Really, the best way to power so many speakers is to use a multi-channel amp. Unfortunately the Denon has no line-level outputs to accommodate a second-zone amplifier, which is surprising for a receiver in its price range.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

post #3 of 7 Old 01-14-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy76 View Post

...10 speakers ...I would like to run all of these speakers off of my powered 2nd zone. How do I make this happen?...
This is a case, as Wayne notes, of poor match between products and goals. Read up on PA systems, specifically constant voltage speaker systems, as that's a match to your goals.

A multichannel amp will work far better than the speaker selector, but you'll still lose a lot of power in the speaker wire runs. I suggest you also consider control; while you volume controls on each pair, what about the master volume on this amp? Constant voltage systems address all this...

HAve fun,
Frank
post #4 of 7 Old 01-15-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the knowledgable answers. Saying I keep the current receiver and # of speakers it looks as if a multichannel amp is a must. Recommendations???. Is there anything else i need to know? I would like to keep the volume controls. What about the best way to wire all the speakers?
post #5 of 7 Old 01-15-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy76 View Post

Saying I keep the current receiver and # of speakers it looks as if a multichannel amp is a must. Recommendations???.

As I noted in my previous post, your receiver has no line-level outputs, which would be needed to send a signal to an outboard multi-channel amp. So that’s not an option for you.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
post #6 of 7 Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post

As I noted in my previous post, your receiver has no line-level outputs, which would be needed to send a signal to an outboard multi-channel amp. So that’s not an option for you.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I can still return the 1913 since it is unopened -- can you suggest a receiver in that price range with line-level outs and similar features?

I checked out HTD.com and it looks as if their basic multi-room amp is what I'm looking for. After that I should be set, right?
post #7 of 7 Old 01-16-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Looks like the Denon 2313ci will fit my needs (along with the multi-room amp). Is there anything priced lower (with pre outs) that anyone can recommend?
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page