Help with Acoustical Treatment in my Home Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, after spending about a week reading all kinds of various forum threads, articles, blogs, and everything in between, I can finally admit to being completely lost when it comes to acoustically treating my home theater room. Sadly, this was my first theater build and I kind of rushed into things a bit, so I have no acoustic treatments in place at all.

First off, here are some pictures of my room in sketchup, including some measurements:

Here are measurements of my speakers relative to my primary seating position:

Here is a picture that will give you an idea of speaker placement:

View from back:

View from front:

View from back angle:

First off, here are a few notes about my room:

1) The L/R/C speakers are located behind an acoustically transparent screen in the front of the room, on the stage. The L/R's are EMP Tek E5Ti's and the center is an EMP Tek E5Ci.

2) There are side surround speakers mounted on the columns in the back. These are Emotiva ERD-1's.

3) There are back surround speakers mounted on the back wall. These are also Emotiva ERD-1's.

4) The floor, riser, and stage are all carpeted with fairly thick carpeting.

5) All side walls are drywall and have been insulated.

6) The ceiling is drywalled.

7) The box/cutout that you see in the pictures above does not exist in my actual theater. This was where I had originally planned to put my theater equipment, but it was not actually included in the end.

8) The room is used 90% for movies and 10% for games. It won't really be used for music at all.

9) Budget is ~$600. That may or may not be feasible, but that's the goal.

10) I'm not handiest guy around, but I'm not entirely opposed to DIY for some of the needed pieces.

So yeah guys, what are some things that I can do to improve the acoustic performance for this room? I'm mainly looking for thoughts as to where/if I should place sound panels; where/if I should place bass traps; and basically any other tips you guys can give me.

If there is any additional information that would be helpful, just let me know and I'll do my best to get it for you.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-14-2013, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
submit your layout and description to https://gikacoustics.com/ and they will draw what panels you will need and where to place them on your layout. I find their prices very reasonable, but their performance and customer service is excellent. Be sure to give them a budget of what you want to spend.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks teck, I've sent them an email and they said they would get back with my sometime today.

Anyone else have any suggestions though?
post #4 of 11 Old 01-14-2013, 05:14 PM

Liked: 16
Bass traps in all the corners, and where ceiling meets the walls. 4" OC 703 straddled will take care of that. Diffusers on ceiling and rear wall. Absorber (4" OC) on sidewalls at first reflection point to main listening area.

If you do all that the whole room will sound amazing, and no need for any EQ.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
op - one of the things that is critical to treatments is where the main seat is (ie where you are sitting for music and movies)

Put that on your diagram and follow the threads you have read...

1st reflection is as simple as if you place a closet mirror on the right wall while sitting in the main seat - the first reflection is where you can see the speaker (right speaker on right wall) in the mirror

If you move the seat back 5 feet it changes where the 1st reflection is...

REW...most expensive freeware ever...

post #6 of 11 Old 01-14-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Cloggerdude;
Post your build thread in your signature, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1365837/first-house-why-not-first-ht-too/30

You last posted in that thread 11/3/11 at 10:12pm, post a picture so we can all see the end result.

You are missing basic dimensions on your sketch, like 1st and 2nd row location, # seats, location of door on LH side (looks like it might be in a first reflection spot), the specific locations of ALL your speakers.

From another post:
Quote:
A) read this Acoustics/Treatment Reference Guide , via gearslutz, its a easy read in layman terms, starts you off with basics and good foundation with practical discussion. Studio acoustics and Home Theater acoustics.

From that, simple/straight forward advice via Jens Eklund:

Quote:

1. Learn how to make measurements: REW - Room EQ Wizard Home Page

Don’t do anything without measurements.

2. Define your MLP (Master listening position). Confirm with measurements.

3. Identify and treat your modal and SBIR - Speaker Boundary Interference Response related issues and educate yourself about different bass-absorbing techniques.

Other info: SBIR by Bryan Pape

4. Treat areas that otherwise creates early reflections.

5. If the room is big enough, add diffusers (but read up on how to use diffusers before going nuts).

Always base your decisions regarding different treatment, on measurements. Avoid thin porous only absorbers (including wall to wall –carpet, drapes etc.) unless a measurement indicates the need for it.

B) Knowing that for “best” audio/sound in a listening room, these parameters are tackled in prioritized order:

1. Speaker location, 2. Listener position, 3. Acoustic treatments, 4. Electronic correction.

Understand the small room acoustic model you will follow.

Looking at this link, everyone can see visually the various small room models, it's 7 pages from the book "Acoustics and Psychoacoustics Applied"

http://eetimes.com/design/audio-desi...n?pageNumber=0

You've got options to consider......
post #7 of 11 Old 01-14-2013, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments.

I should have some free time after work tomorrow, so I will definitely get some better measurements. I'll also read through all the links and everything that were posted.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloggerdude View Post

I'll also read through all the links and everything that were posted.

Here are some additional useful and authoritative articles:

How to set up a room
Acoustic Basics
Room Measuring Primer

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #9 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 04:52 PM

Liked: 21
Hey Cloggerdude,

You can have whoever you were talking with via e-mail throw your info my way and I can grab your sketchup file and show treatments in place.

I will say that the general consensus in this thread is pretty spot on as you'd hope. Treatments in the corners and reflection points are quite standard issue.

Budget would also be a helpful thing to know! Also, do you have a sub in there or no?

Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics
post #10 of 11 Old 01-18-2013, 05:01 AM

Liked: 10
Hey cloggerdude, sorry to go off topic here. I cannot reply to your private MSG because I already sent two today. If you can pm me your email, we can continue chat there. Thanks!
post #11 of 11 Old 01-22-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

First off, I'm sorry for taking so long to update this thread with all the information I was missing. I had some really bad water problems this past weekend (sump pump died), so that's pretty much consumed all my time. I believe I've gotten everything you guys asked for now though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

You are missing basic dimensions on your sketch, like 1st and 2nd row location, # seats, location of door on LH side (looks like it might be in a first reflection spot), the specific locations of ALL your speakers.

I have now updated my original post to include a picture that has seating position and speaker measurements. In addition, the door is directly in the middle of the two columns. It probably is a first reflection point, but I haven't been able to do the mirror test yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIK Acoustics View Post

Hey Cloggerdude,

You can have whoever you were talking with via e-mail throw your info my way and I can grab your sketchup file and show treatments in place.

Budget would also be a helpful thing to know! Also, do you have a sub in there or no?

Thanks GIK, I would really appreciate that. I had been talking to Bryan, but I'll send him a note and ask him to forward you my information.

I've updated my original post with a budget of ~$600. Don't know if that's feasible or not, but that's the budget for now. I wouldn't mind doing some DIY work, especially with some Superchunks (been looking at those), but I would certainly like to purchase at least some of the materials/panels from you guys after all your help.

Yes, I do have a subwoofer in the room. It is currently sitting in front of the stage on the left side (corner). I haven't really done any tests to see if this is the optimal placement or not though.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page