8 grand to treat a home theater room. Too much? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So I've been in touch with two experts talking about various stuff, including acoustic treatment. My original idea is to line the top half of the wall with acoustic fabric all around, with Sheetrock on the bottom.

One guy said that would probably be enough, the other said it was a good start and offered to do the room for 8k material and labor included. Who is telling the truth?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 51
The first guy probably isn't, and the second may or may not be but you can't know without him detailing exactly what he plans to do.

post #3 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Call GIK Acoustic and talk to them. They can custom make any size/color panel and you can hang them. It will be W A Y less than $8000 unless your room is the size of a banquet hall. There are other suppliers out there as well.

see http://gikacoustics.com/

Even when I'm not having a particularly good day, I am at least having a day!

New Theater 

Build Thread
post #4 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That sounds cool, I'll save that link. My only reservation with panels is that they look like panels, I haven't seen pics of really cool home theaters that have panels. We're totally revamping the room and I want it to look like a million bucks... For less than that lol.

Snake Plissken

post #5 of 10 Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

My original idea is to line the top half of the wall with acoustic fabric all around, with Sheetrock on the bottom.

This is not a good way to treat a room. First "acoustic fabric" is not treatment, it's a type of fabric used to cover treatment.

Absorbers for the side-wall reflection points should be at ear level, about half-way up rather than the top or bottom half of the wall. Rooms also need bass traps for best results. This short article explains the basics in plain English:

Acoustic Basics

As for not wanting the look of acoustic panels, with acoustic treatment you can have:

1) Effective
2) Affordable
3) Attractive

Pick any two. biggrin.gif

So you can have effective and attractive, but it costs more. The typical approach is to treat the room as usual, then build false fabric walls to cover all the panels. Only you can decide how to balance those three factors.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #6 of 10 Old 01-16-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I was a bit tired last night when I responded, and actually burgundy walls with black panels might look pretty good. The whole buying measuring equipment to see where the panels are needed sounds daunting.

I am not an expert by any stretch, and wouldn't know how to determine proper placement. If a place like mentioned above(Gik) could help me figure it out over the phone, that would be ideal.

Snake Plissken

post #7 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
^^^ Not to turn this into an ad, but my company helps people all around the world by phone and email:

RealTraps Forum Page

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #8 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 11:03 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:

Well I was a bit tired last night when I responded, and actually burgundy walls with black panels might look pretty good. The whole buying measuring equipment to see where the panels are needed sounds daunting.

I am not an expert by any stretch, and wouldn't know how to determine proper placement. If a place like mentioned above(Gik) could help me figure it out over the phone, that would be ideal.

I like the look of burgundy and black panels.

post #9 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

It all depends what kind of quality level you are aiming for.

For best results you would measure your room (or work with a company to measure your room) and then from there you would work out the right solution for you. That solution will nearly always involve acoustic treatment but may also involve EQ and more subwoofers. If you don't measure your room then you are just going to get generic recommendations that don't factor in the issues your room really has. A good example of this would be the need for bass trapping. Some rooms need a ton, others need very little. It depends on (amongst other things) size, wall construction and whether the space is enclosed (a standard room) or open plan.

The good thing about panels is that installation is quick and therefore cheap. However on the flip side you are paying for finished materials that have a fabric wrap. If you are going to put a fabric stretch wall in your theater, as is common in most high end theaters, then the materials used for acoustic treatment do not have to be finished and therefore you can save quite a bit of money. Installation is obviously more expensive though.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

So I've been in touch with two experts talking about various stuff, including acoustic treatment. My original idea is to line the top half of the wall with acoustic fabric all around, with Sheetrock on the bottom.

One guy said that would probably be enough, the other said it was a good start and offered to do the room for 8k material and labor included. Who is telling the truth?

I recommend looking into room correction components along with treatment. Products like the Tact RCS and Lyngdorf RP-1.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page