HDMI video AND analog audio??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So here is my dilemma -- I want to setup my 55 inch Samsung plasma with surround sound, but the problem is my older Denon AVR-3805 has no HDMI inputs. Is it possible to send an HDMI signal directly from my sources (cable box and Blu-ray) to the TV while simultaneously sending analog audio to my surround sound speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Run optical or digital coax from the external devices directly to the Denon for surround audio.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 260
The only way that would be possible is if your TV has 5 analog audio outputs to go to the 5 analog inputs on your receiver.

I have not looked it up, but I doubt if that is the case.

I would get a new receiver and run all the signals to the receiver via HDMI and then run the video to the TV from the receiver via HDMI.

An Onkyo TX-NR414 receiver is only $230 from Amazon, and that will be a great improvement for your system.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Run optical or digital coax from the external devices directly to the Denon for surround audio.

This is the way that I was thinking it would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The only way that would be possible is if your TV has 5 analog audio outputs to go to the 5 analog inputs on your receiver.

I would get a new receiver and run all the signals to the receiver via HDMI and then run the video to the TV from the receiver via HDMI.

I should be able to run my HDMI's to my TV and select the video source from there (the TV) and then run audio out of my sources (cable box and Blu-ray) to the receiver and select that audio from there, right?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy76 View Post

I should be able to run my HDMI's to my TV and select the video source from there (the TV) and then run audio out of my sources (cable box and Blu-ray) to the receiver and select that audio from there, right?

As long as your source devices have an audio setting to change output from HDMI to digital, and your AVR has available digital inputs matching the output type(s), that should work just fine.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy76 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Yes. In addition, if you use the TV's digital tuner, you need to run optical from the TV to the AVR so you can get multi-channel audio from the TV tuner.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

As long as your source devices have an audio setting to change output from HDMI to digital, and your AVR has available digital inputs matching the output type(s), that should work just fine.

Do source devices not pump out signals to ALL outputs ALL the time? I will most likely be using a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable box and a Sony BDP-S590 Blu-ray. It seems as if I will have "tell" the cable box and Blu-ray that my video is HDMI but my audio will be optical. Is that correct?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Most devices send audio simultaneously via HDMI, optical, coax and analog. YMMV

Best bet is to read the manuals and give it try. wink.gif
Old 01-16-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I do exactly what the OP wants with a Denon 3805 and a Panasonic plasma that has a single HDMI input. We have a cable box, three disc players, Roku, and AppleTV. The TV is fed by an HDMI switch and component video. The AVR gets optical, coax, and multichannel analog for Blu-ray, SACD, and DVD-Audio. A Harmony One remote handles all the switching so that everyone in the family can easily play whatever they want.

The 3805 is an excellent AVR, and while I'd love to have an all HDMI solution, I see no reason to replace it yet.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

I do exactly what the OP wants with a Denon 3805 and a Panasonic plasma that has a single HDMI input. We have a cable box, three disc players, Roku, and AppleTV. The TV is fed by an HDMI switch and component video. The AVR gets optical, coax, and multichannel analog for Blu-ray, SACD, and DVD-Audio. A Harmony One remote handles all the switching so that everyone in the family can easily play whatever they want.

The 3805 is an excellent AVR, and while I'd love to have an all HDMI solution, I see no reason to replace it yet.

My 3805 has been kicking @$$ for 7 years now. I'm moving into a new home within the next few weeks and the 3805 will now serve as the master bedroom receiver.
So it seems as if my plan for HDMI video direct to the TV and separate digital/analog audio direct to the receiver WILL work with my setup.