Need a quick opinion please? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: HK receiver & Sub or New center channel?
Receiver & Sub 0 0%
Center Channel 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
trev1127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes my first post, I'm green and have a question.

I am building my HT a little at a time and I want to make another upgrade, I have a p.o.s. sony receiver pushing 2 polk monitor 40 series ii and random optimus lx5s in the rear. My center channel came with my htib and I was wondering whether I should buy a new center channel(polk cs2 series ii) or buy the Harman Kardon avr1700 and a new sub(old one is a passive sony). Funds are low and I've been trying to make a decision for a while now, some advice would be tremendously helpful. Thanks
trev1127 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
trev1127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I forgot to add the sony receiver is very low quality, an alleged 135 wpc, with 10% THD just fyi
trev1127 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 13,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by trev1127 View Post

I forgot to add the sony receiver is very low quality, an alleged 135 wpc, with 10% THD just fyi

The fact that 10% THD is part of the ratings is almost always due to a desire on the part of the manufacturer to inflate the power ratings.

The following is the THD versus power for a well known high end power amp. Let's pick the upper line which is for a 8 ohm load:




See how I could all this power amp a:

600 watt power amp @ 0.01% THD

700 watt power amp @ 0.1% THD

or

800 watt power amp @ 1% THD?

Same thing is true for this poor little Sony. Just guessing, but I'll bet that it might be a 120 wpc with 1% THD, 110 wpc with 0.5% THD, or 100 wpc with 0.1% THD or something like that.

The idea of rating amps at 10% THD is common for power amps that are intended for shall we say less discerning markets than traditional component HiFi. In almost every case more reasonable (lower) THD specs can be obtained by simply backing off on the power levels.
trev1127 likes this.
arnyk is online now  
post #4 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 13,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by trev1127 View Post

Yes my first post, I'm green and have a question.

I am building my HT a little at a time and I want to make another upgrade, I have a p.o.s. sony receiver pushing 2 polk monitor 40 series ii and random optimus lx5s in the rear. My center channel came with my htib and I was wondering whether I should buy a new center channel(polk cs2 series ii) or buy the Harman Kardon avr1700 and a new sub(old one is a passive sony). Funds are low and I've been trying to make a decision for a while now, some advice would be tremendously helpful.

One question relates to what bass management is like on that no-model-number given Sony AVR.

If you don't have problems with dialog intelligibility or imaging, then the subwoofer would probably get you more SQ for the buck if it was a good one. I''m thinking the Polk PSW 505 in this price range. However, this is all dependent on where you are with bass management on the existing AVR.
arnyk is online now  
post #5 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Kamikaze13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you have a passive sub, a powered sub would give the most noticeable improvement IMO.

Also a better Center channel would be nice but you need the power to drive it too.

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
Kamikaze13 is online now  
post #6 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
trev1127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I appreciate your opinions. Given that the cs2 center channel is efficient, would my avr have issues driving it? I hear the center channel is the work horse of a 5.1 system, would money be better spent buying the cs2 right now and leaving avr/sub ugrade untill later or vice versa? Sorry for troubling you guys with ignorant questions.
trev1127 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
trev1127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The fact that 10% THD is part of the ratings is almost always due to a desire on the part of the manufacturer to inflate the power ratings.

The following is the THD versus power for a well known high end power amp. Let's pick the upper line which is for a 8 ohm load:




See how I could all this power amp a:

600 watt power amp @ 0.01% THD

700 watt power amp @ 0.1% THD

or

800 watt power amp @ 1% THD?

Same thing is true for this poor little Sony. Just guessing, but I'll bet that it might be a 120 wpc with 1% THD, 110 wpc with 0.5% THD, or 100 wpc with 0.1% THD or something like that.

The idea of rating amps at 10% THD is common for power amps that are intended for shall we say less discerning markets than traditional component HiFi. In almost every case more reasonable (lower) THD specs can be obtained by simply backing off on the power levels.

Thanks man. Makin more sense
trev1127 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Kamikaze13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I would lean toward the avr/sub first.

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
Kamikaze13 is online now  
post #9 of 12 Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
trev1127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright, Im pulling the trigger today. Leaning towards the avr/sub upgrade what you guys think?
trev1127 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 01-17-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 13,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by trev1127 View Post

Alright, Im pulling the trigger today. Leaning towards the avr/sub upgrade what you guys think?

Details about the proposed AVR & sub?
arnyk is online now  
post #11 of 12 Old 01-17-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
trev1127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Harman kardon 1700 or 700 and probably the polk psw10 sub just because its on sale for 79 right now on amazon
trev1127 is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 01-17-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 13,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by trev1127 View Post

Harman kardon 1700 or 700 and probably the polk psw10 sub just because its on sale for 79 right now on amazon

I like the PSW 505 far better.
arnyk is online now  
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off