concrete walls and curtains - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-17-2013, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have a quick question. I was thinking about putting my home theater setup in my basement. It will be nothing special Just for me, I have some carpet in part of my basement. And there will be funiture and other items in my basement so its not going to be empty.

My question is regarding the concrete walls I have and the echo that may occur on that part of the basement. For a very ugly,cheap, quick fix can I hang curtians down in front of the concrete to block sound from hitting the concrete (hanging like 4-6 inches away from the walls) till I have the money to box in my basement with dry wall? This is probably a stupid question but I want to find out.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-17-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by glantern30 View Post

I have a quick question. I was thinking about putting my home theater setup in my basement. It will be nothing special Just for me, I have some carpet in part of my basement. And there will be funiture and other items in my basement so its not going to be empty.

My question is regarding the concrete walls I have and the echo that may occur on that part of the basement. For a very ugly,cheap, quick fix can I hang curtians down in front of the concrete to block sound from hitting the concrete (hanging like 4-6 inches away from the walls) till I have the money to box in my basement with dry wall? This is probably a stupid question but I want to find out.

Dry wall is only a little better than the bare concrete walls, Covering concrete walls with drywall is mostly cosmetic.

Curtains are relatively poor sound absorbers because they don't absorb well at low frequencies unless they are truly massive and thick.

What are the ceilings like?
post #3 of 4 Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 234
+1.

Acoustic curtains are available but are not cheap. For a cheap first fix I would just buy a roll of pink insulation, 6" or better, and tape or otherwise attach to the walls. Sheets or curtains can be hung to hide the pink.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #4 of 4 Old 01-17-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Dry wall is only a little better than the bare concrete walls, Covering concrete walls with drywall is mostly cosmetic.

Curtains are relatively poor sound absorbers because they don't absorb well at low frequencies unless they are truly massive and thick.

What are the ceilings like?

right now nothing in the ceiling, I was going to put up some insulation to see if that helps. See I'm not ready finacially to turn my basement into a fullout home theater set, I just wanted somewhere that it would sound horrible. Like having the grand canyon in my basement. So any cheap ideas would be great
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page