Pioneer vsx-822-k no subwoofer sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Everyone,

First post here so I wasn't sure whether or not to post here or in the Subwoofer forum. Either way hopefully someone can help me with my problem. I have a Pioneer vsx-822-k receiver powering two Paradigm Millinia 300 front speakers and a Polk PSW505 woofer. I want to stick with a 2.1 setup. The Paradigm fronts are working perfectly but the subwoofer is giving me issues. I have a subwoofer cable running from the "Pre-out Sub" output on the receiver to the LFE input on the sub. When I utilize the pioneer MCACC microphone assisted setup both the speakers and the sub can be heard. So basically this tells me the sub is getting a signal from the receiver and is hooked up properly (maybe??). Anyway, any other source such as music from my PS3, PS3 games, PS3 blu-ray, and even an ipod hook up from a headphone jack to rca cable do not give me any sound from the subwoofer.

I've also tried the manual setup which let me set the front speakers to small, subwoofer to "yes", and then set the cross over to 80 hz. Still no luck. Thanks for the help!

Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Check your listening mode. Your receiver may be defaulting to a "Direct" or "Pure" mode. In that case, it will apply no processing, including crossing the signal over to the sub. Now, if you were to play a 5.1 signal in this mode, it would send the LFE to the sub, since that is what was intended, but still no low-pass info from the other channels would go to the sub.

With a stereo 2.0 source, look for a "Stereo" listening mode, which should lowpass some content to the sub.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-18-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response baniels. I've changed the listening modes from stereo to all of the various "surround" modes. Still nothing from the sub. Could it be related to the LFE hookup? Is there a different/better way of hooking up the sub other than using the Pre-out sub outlet on the receiver?
post #4 of 17 Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmm. No, that sounds right. The working setup/test tones confirm proper connections.

Fine tooth the manual for listening mode specifics. Keep an eye out for the word Pure and how to disable that mode.

Also try a surround source and see if you get sub output.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-18-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Have you tried the radio? This would eliminate any sort of connections as the source.

Speaking of... how are you connecting devices, analog or digitall? Have you mapped inputs correctly?

Baniels is hitting the likely suspects, beyond the basic settings you mention (small, yes and 80Hz).

Are you sure there's LF content in the program?

Have you been through all the menu options (in addition to the manual) looking for Pure or Direct or any options that lack "0.1" content?

Try TV; sports are all surround and many prime time shows have a lot of bass (Castle, The Mentalist to name a couple).

Have fun,
Frank
post #6 of 17 Old 01-18-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

All,

Thanks for the responses. I've finally figured it out. The issue lies with the Pioneer vsx-822-k receiver. In the setup menu the speakers have to be set to small, the subwoofer to yes, and the crossover to 100 hz or greater. Using the MCACC didn't work for me. It kept omitting the sub from the outputs for some reason. I had to do a full manual setup. Seems to be working now. Thanks again for the responses.

Will
post #7 of 17 Old 01-18-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Must cross at 100hz or higher? That can't be right.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-18-2013, 04:54 PM

can you share what you ended up setting your speakers and sub at. I have the VSX-822 as well. I get low to no sub, voices are quieter than music and background, and I have to turn my volume pretty high to get sound.

Thanks

Jay
post #9 of 17 Old 03-27-2013, 12:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymcd0626 View Post

can you share what you ended up setting your speakers and sub at. I have the VSX-822 as well. I get low to no sub, voices are quieter than music and background, and I have to turn my volume pretty high to get sound.

We have the same issue and this is what I did...
1. Turn on the receiver and tv
2. Press the bottom receiver button on your remote control. (not the top button that's for power)
3. Press tv on your remote control then press the home button. The home button is located on left side of your remote control on the middle. It's a small button.
4. The home menu appears on your tv.
5. Select #2 ( manual SP Setup) by pressing the tune button then press enter.
6. Select (A) Speaker Setting press enter on remote control then set your front speakers to SMALL
7. Using the tune button select subwoofer then set to YES. Press return and it'll go back to Manual SP Setup.
8. Using the tune button again select (B) X.Over enter select then set frequency to 80 or 100Hz your choice. Press return.
9. Tune button again select (C) Channel Level press enter then press enter for test tune. Make adjustment for your L and R front speakers and your subwoofer. After you were done all the adjustment and satisfied the output simply press the return button to exit the home menu.

On my power subs I set the crossover to max, gain is halfway. This is just me you can tweak your sub the way you want.

Hope this help.
hiltinuts2 likes this.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post

Must cross at 100hz or higher? That can't be right.

Doesn't sound right...80 HZ is usually the recommended XO point, but ofc, most go from 60 - 120 or more or less depending on speakers/sub. In otherwords, there is another issue at play here.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-08-2013, 11:04 PM

I have a VSX-822 and I'm trying to hook up a Harmon Kardon SB16 soundbar to it. I've connected the soundbar to the receiver via the optical cable but I get zero sound from it. The optical input says "optical assignable", but I don't know where to program it. Is the optical where the soundbar receives the audio out? I'm new to this. When I put the system to Cable I get the clear picture on my tv coming from the cable box but zero sound. The sub connects wirelessly to the soundbar so there's no wires to connect to the receiver. I'm not sure that this receiver is built for a soundbar.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post

Doesn't sound right...80 HZ is usually the recommended XO point, but ofc, most go from 60 - 120 or more or less depending on speakers/sub. In otherwords, there is another issue at play here.

I agree the crossover should be set to 80Hz, and I believe this AVR is capable of that setting. One of the issues here is that we are speaking about "Stereo" mode for music. I have a Pioneer AVR also, and have noticed this same "issue" of the subwoofer "seeming" to not output bass.

One of the variables I've noticed is that it depends upon the song/music has to actual bass content and level. Some music does play through, others do not.

Now my speaker set up is completely different; I have two Polk towers as mains, and each has a powered sub built in. How I initially remedied this was to set the fronts to "Large", and set the sub to "PLUS". Setting the sub to "PLUS" sends duplicate bass (not just LFE or below XO) to the sub. I think this is the affect you are seeking (when it comes to music listening).

Again, the real culprit is the media, some songs just do not have the lower levels, hence why you must set your XO to 100Hz. Considering that you are using a 2.1 set up, you may want to consider setting your fronts to "Large" and your sub to "PLUS", if you like/want more bass.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #13 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheez View Post

I have a VSX-822 and I'm trying to hook up a Harmon Kardon SB16 soundbar to it.

I wish you all of the luck in the world because you'll need it.

As a rule AVRs are not designed to drive soundbars and soundbars are not designed to be driven from AVRs.

Quote:
I've connected the soundbar to the receiver via the optical cable but I get zero sound from it.

Let's review the relevant facts. The sound bar has an optical input. It is designed to be connected to an optical output, which can be commonly found on a TV set or a DVD/CD/Blu Ray player.

Accroding to the specs for this AVR

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-822-K

It has no digital audio outputs whatsoever.
Quote:
The optical input says "optical assignable", but I don't know where to program it. Is the optical where the soundbar receives the audio out? I'm new to this. When I put the system to Cable I get the clear picture on my tv coming from the cable box but zero sound. The sub connects wirelessly to the soundbar so there's no wires to connect to the receiver. I'm not sure that this receiver is built for a soundbar.

I'm sure that this AVR is not designed for use with a soundbar, especially via a digital input. Most aren't.

Soundbars and AVRs are actually similar devices. A Soundbar is roughly equivalent to an AVR + a set of regular unpowered speakers.

Your soundbar was probably designed to plug into the optical output of your TV. Try it there!
post #14 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheez View Post

I have a VSX-822 and I'm trying to hook up a Harmon Kardon SB16 soundbar to it. I've connected the soundbar to the receiver via the optical cable but I get zero sound from it. The optical input says "optical assignable", but I don't know where to program it. Is the optical where the soundbar receives the audio out? I'm new to this. When I put the system to Cable I get the clear picture on my tv coming from the cable box but zero sound. The sub connects wirelessly to the soundbar so there's no wires to connect to the receiver. I'm not sure that this receiver is built for a soundbar.

arnyk is correct that this will not work. The Pioneer VSX-822-K will not drive a sound bar. There are no audio "digital out" connections on the VSX-822-K. The "assignable" you see on the AVR means you can assign that input to any of the component inputs on the AVR.

To use the sound bar, you will need to connect it to the "Digital Out" on your TV or cable box. You can connect two (outputting) sources to the sound bar, as long as one is analog and the other digital.

You do not mention how you have the TV and cable box connected (i.e. thru AVR via HDMI cable, or direct to TV from cable box). I'm assuming you have an HDMI running from the cable box to the AVR, and are looking to run audio through the soundbar. In this case run the audio directly to the soundbar from the TV.

I am simply curious as to why you would want both a soundbar and an AVR? Are you trying to use the soundbar as a speaker or set of speakers?

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #15 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Guys, let's be clear here...

You can't drive an active soundbar with an AVR, since by definition, an active speaker already contains an amplifier.

One should still be able to use the AVR for switching, assuming line outputs on the AVR audio so you can get the signal to the soundbar. Quite a waste of amplification, though...

HAve fun,
Frank
post #16 of 17 Old 11-27-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewpid2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymcd0626 View Post

We have the same issue and this is what I did...
1. Turn on the receiver and tv
2. Press the bottom receiver button on your remote control. (not the top button that's for power)
3. Press tv on your remote control then press the home button. The home button is located on left side of your remote control on the middle. It's a small button.
4. The home menu appears on your tv.
5. Select #2 ( manual SP Setup) by pressing the tune button then press enter.
6. Select (A) Speaker Setting press enter on remote control then set your front speakers to SMALL
7. Using the tune button select subwoofer then set to YES. Press return and it'll go back to Manual SP Setup.
8. Using the tune button again select (B) X.Over enter select then set frequency to 80 or 100Hz your choice. Press return.
9. Tune button again select (C) Channel Level press enter then press enter for test tune. Make adjustment for your L and R front speakers and your subwoofer. After you were done all the adjustment and satisfied the output simply press the return button to exit the home menu.

On my power subs I set the crossover to max, gain is halfway. This is just me you can tweak your sub the way you want.

Hope this help.
Thank you very much for this post. This worked perfectly with my new 823k and Polk PSW10.
post #17 of 17 Old 11-02-2014, 04:29 AM

Liked: 0
Hello everyone..

I have problem with my av receiver 822k,the problem is it no sound at front right speaker during listen to radio and watch video..but,if I change listen to usb port,the speaker no problem,all speaker function..what exactly the problem is it?i got this problem 2 time already and no more warranty..can some one help me solve this problem?
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page