Denon AVR-1713 ARC to Sharp Aquos LC-32LE440u TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-18-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just upgraded to Denon AVR-1713 receiver and a Sharp Aquos LC-LE32440U TV. I've been unsuccessful in connecting the two via ARC. I'm using a Dynex HDMI High Speed (with Ethernet) 10.3 Gbps cable (advertised as 3D compatiable, full HD 1080p and for ARC).

I've connected cable between HDMI (ARC labelled) input #3 on TV to receiver's HDMI (out) monitor. I've followed setup instructions for HDMI control from the receiver (and as advised per conversations with Denon technical support) and also talked to Sharp technical support as well. My first objective has been to just to TV (OTA) audio from the TV to the receiver but have had no luck let alone getting the Denon receiver to have HDMI control over TV. Is anyone else having similar issues?

By the way, my talk with the Sharp Technical rep indicated that the Sharp ARC (Input #3) is only for connecting blue ray, DVD or other devices - not for TV's ?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-18-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 390
You might want to consider connecting the TV's digital optical or coax audio output to your receiver instead of fighting to get ARC to work. The functionality won't be any different, although it will require an additional cable. In general, you also should connect audio/video source devices directly to your receiver and not to the TV.

While I've read quite a few reports that ARC can only transport two channel audio and not multichannel audio, I think the people reporting that are likely to be mistaken. According to a pdf on hdmi.org (http://www.hdmi.org/CEDIA2011/7-Gefen_HDMI_Presentation_Rev5_8_23_2011.pdf ) ARC is supposed to be able to support multichannel audio. On slide 18, it says
Quote:
Multi-channel audio from TV sent automatically to AVR when appropriate (TV decides)
The "TV decides" note is important.

Most TVs forward only two channel audio from attached devices, providing 5.1 surround sound only from stations decoded by their internal tuners. Very few TVs forward multichannel audio. I suspect this limitation might have caused confusion for some people.

I think your Sharp tech was confused, too, although somewhat differently. Sadly, many manufacturers' call-in support people are relatively inexperienced and can barely provide a scripted response.

Selden
post #3 of 11 Old 01-18-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the Sharp TV does not have an optical output (for the Denon's optical input) and I tried an audio coax cable w/o success - I was surprised that this didn't work.

Perhaps you're right about the Sharp technician - let me read the link you've provided before commenting further.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

The Gefen slide presentation is quite informative and interesting in showing before and after ARC connections methods. Could my Dynex cable be a problem (noting the Gefen slide describing HDMI 1.4 cable)? THe Dynex cable labelling (purchased at BestBuy) doesn't describe it as HDMI 1.4 - only that it's for 3D, ARC, etc. applications.

I was hoping to hear from some other Denon 1713 owners about any problems they may be encountering with so-called ARC compatible TVs - if there are any reading this forum?
post #5 of 11 Old 01-19-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Why do you need the ARC?

It does not look like your TV supports it, so you may be out of luck there.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-19-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

You are correct as I would only have to contend with few more connection cables between the two - I was hoping however that the TV's ARC channel would talk to my Denon receiver.

So if the TV is supposed to be ARC compatible - I was wondering if anyone has been able to connect one to a Denon AVR or any other make receiver to this particular Sharp LC-32LE440u model TV?
post #7 of 11 Old 01-19-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso123 View Post

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the Sharp TV does not have an optical output (for the Denon's optical input) and I tried an audio coax cable w/o success - I was surprised that this didn't work.

Perhaps you're right about the Sharp technician - let me read the link you've provided before commenting further.

I have a 32" Sharp LCD (a bit over a year old). I use it in a 2nd bedroom system w/o an AVR (I use a ZVOX sound bar).

What I learned the hard way is that if you feed it with HDMI sources, it does NOT send the audio back through out its analog audio outputs. I spent way too much time on the phone with Sharp tech support (US Based English speakers who did seem to understand the issue, so that was a plus) concluding that "that is how they work".

But what was bizarre to me was that the analog headphone output DOES work no matter what the incoming source is, so while I consider it a kludge, it did provide a work around in my case.

I probably will be of no help to you since using the headphone jack will not allow for multi-channel sound, but perhaps you could use it just for OTA stuff.

Good luck.

Brian
post #8 of 11 Old 01-19-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Brian,

Obviously you've had a similar conversation with a Sharp technician like I've already. And you're right, I've spent too much time on the issue as well to solve something related to ARC that can't be solved - I'm about ready to take the TV back to BestBuy for another TV to try my Denon AVR-1713 ARC.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I have too capable of a receiver for the model Sharp TV I purchased.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 PM

I had this same problem, and with hours of trial and error I found that I could get the ARC to work, by plugging in another HDMI device into one of the HDMI inputs, Like a laptop or pvr. I noticed that my denon (1713) would show "tv" and "dig" on the front, as soon as I plug in the laptop a "pcm" LED would come on with audio. For me this all started when I could not get any audio to play through the Denon, when I used the netflix app, smart tv indeed.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-21-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Voila !!!! So you had the same problem and solved it by plugging in another component into HDMI Input #1 and/or #2 while connecting the AVR to the TV via HDMI #3. I'll try your proposed solution and report back on the forum via this thread as to whether it works or not. Thank you!
post #11 of 11 Old 10-04-2013, 09:45 PM

Liked: 14
Anyone else have an issue with the 1713's ARC (or other Denon) not working?
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Denon Avr 1713 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page