AirPlay whole home audio setup help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-19-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First let me preface this by saying that I've Googled my questions for a few days. While I do have a general idea of what I want to do, I'm to the point where I need help from the pros...hence my post here.

My budget is pretty low ($250) but before you laugh...I really am just wanting to get started and do one room in my house at a time. I'd like to our speakers in the ceiling and use Airport Expresses to push audio. I have an all Apple/iTunes home so I want to stay in that world for convenience. I want to be able to play music using my iOS device of choice without having to turn anything on. I've looked at standby amps for power but I'm a little fuzzy on how it's all set up and what kind of amp I need or whatever.

I'm thinking of buying an AE per zone/room and connect that to a T-amp that all resides in the closet off of my attic. My questions though are related to the amp & power situation as I have no clue what I'm doing there. I guess I wouldn't mind having to turn everything on before playing music, but I'd prefer a set it and forget it setup that doesn't use power all the time...hence the standby mode I've read about. I'm not looking to blow the house out with sound, as I know that you get what you pay for. I just want to be able to play music in rooms of the house.

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-20-2013, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have you moved forward with this? Perhaps you could find an amp that would activate by the line level signal being supplied. I use a set of Paradigm Shift A2 speakers that have their own amps, and they just activate when my TV or AirPort Express output audio. I have an ability to broadcast to my basement theater, living room and office via AirPlay, and I was wondering the best way to add another couple speakers. They don't have to be in wall, but I would love it if I could use something other than only iTunes to broadcast throughout the house (iPhone seems to just broadcast to a single device)
post #3 of 5 Old 03-21-2013, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey guys, just saw this post and figured I would say how I do it. I currently have an AE connected to one of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/356256-REG/AudioSource_AMP100_AMP100_Stereo_Power_Amplifier.html I have used this for years now and it works great. It senses when I am sending sound and turns on automatically. It then powers off when the sound stops.

I just bought a new house and plan on putting 5 of these with 5 AE's (ethernet) in the basement. Then wire the speaker wire to the rooms. It will give me 5 zones that I want; basement, garage, main level, master bedroom, outside.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-05-2013, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I like the idea of that setup, but how would I play my television audio on all zones or some of the zones?  I know I could use the airport express units and amps to play airplay but is it possible to play audio from my television?  Thanks.

post #5 of 5 Old 10-05-2013, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Good point. I think you would have to route your audio into a computer that could send it out. I know there are Mac apps that do this, and maybe there is a device that does. If not, perhaps someone could make one.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page