Any suggestions on hiding my speaker cable that runs in front of my fireplace? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have an over-the-mantle mounted TV. The speakers flank the fireplace with the receiver to the right side. I HAD run my TV power and HDMI cable through the wall, but long story short, I'll be re-fishing them both through.

My question is -- any recommendations for hiding my left channel speaker cable? I'd really hate to bore a hole into the floor or cut through studs for ONE speaker wire. I COULD potentially have it go through the floor where my rear speaker cables run (assuming the hole can fit another 16 gauge speaker wire through it), take out the drop ceiling panels in my basement and then bore back up and have it exit on the left side of the fire place somewhere...but again, that would involve tearing up baseboards, boring holes in the wall and putting some kind of cable "outlet" panel.

So I'm thinking the easiest and cheapest way -- by far -- is just to keep the speaker wire OUTSIDE of the walls/floors. Is there a good way to hide it? i.e. a moldable plastic "runner" that I can flex to the bottom of our fireplace? (PS -- I can get rid of the "bead board" in front of the fireplace. We had it there when our daughter was young so she didn't get in it). There is also a good six or eight inch piece of tile at the base of the fireplace, so the cable and/or "cable hideaway" wouldn't be right up against any super hot surface.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You're supposed to be able to stick these very flat wires to wall and paint over them:

http://sewelldirect.com/SuperFlat-Flat-Speaker-Wire-14-AWG-50-ft-2-Conductor.asp

I have no personal experience with this product yet.

MIKE

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
--H. L. Mencken
post #3 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I use a product similar to this in my room
http://www.cableorganizer.com/wire-cover/

Sticky back, paintable and with a few different sizes, it was easy to hide all my speaker wires.
With white baseboards, its almost invisible.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, guys... smile.gif
post #5 of 9 Old 01-20-2013, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 162
A friend of mine had very similar layout as you.
Took his mantle and crown molding off, routed wired behind that, put it back on.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

A friend of mine had very similar layout as you.
Took his mantle and crown molding off, routed wired behind that, put it back on.

I'm in favor of this idea. You could also run the center channel wire through there at the same time and have a very clean installation.

post #7 of 9 Old 01-20-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD in NJ View Post

I'm in favor of this idea. You could also run the center channel wire through there at the same time and have a very clean installation.

My center channel already has a clean run through the wall. It pops out an inch above the mantle. The two black cables you see to the right of the mantle are the HDMI cable and the TV power cable. I resolved those last night, so they are hidden once again.

It just seems like a lot of work to tear apart baseboards/fireplace frames for one speaker wire. In my mind, I was thinking there might be a moldable plastic "runner" that is only like an inch wide or so, preferably in white, that I could just run it around the frame of the mantle/fireplace with the wire underneath it.

Not saying the ideas above are bad...they are getting the hamsters moving in the wheel.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

I came up with a temporary solution -- but a simple revision might make it "permanent". We're talking about 10 cents worth of "parts" and just a few minutes of labor.

Instead of running through a channel along the baseboards (and somehow jumping it to the other side), I ran it up the left side of the fireplace frame, turned the corner and ran it under the lip of the mantle. Came down the other side (which nobody can see from any normal viewing angle) and it disappears behind my right speaker and/or the speaker stand. Currently, it's just clear tape holding it up. I'm going to try and find some white (electrical?) tape that would be a bit stronger/more permanent yet still blend in.

post #9 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Just a thought:

The walls around fire places usually aren't sealed, that is, there is normally a gap between the back side of the wall framing studs and the chimney. That usually means you can fish left / right across the wall without having to actually go through the studs. You may or may not have to go up to the the top of the mantle to go across but its better then going down and measuring for the wall cavity to drill up.

I don't have any pictures but my parents mounted their TV above the fireplace and I bought them a HTIB system for them a few years ago. We just cut in a new work box behind the TV and a new work box down behind the AV stand to the right, normal outlet height off the floor. We were able to fish between the two cuts outs without issue.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page