Connecting Mac Book Pro To Yamaha RX-657 - AVS Forum
Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat > Connecting Mac Book Pro To Yamaha RX-657
mav52's Avatar mav52 12:26 PM 01-19-2013
I gave my daughter a Yamaha RX-657 receiver ( no hdmi or USB) and she wants to connect her Mac Book Pro to the receiver to play music flies stored from iTunes. The receiver has 3 optical inputs and 2 coaxial inputs. The Mac has a USB, analog out and headphone that we assume we could use for a connection... Would taking the mac's analog out via toslink to the receivers optical input be the correct hook up method for the best sound. Will I also have to change anything in the mac books preferences to allow this to happen

mcnarus's Avatar mcnarus 12:56 PM 01-19-2013
Quote:
The Mac has a USB, analog out and headphone that we assume we could use for a connection... Would taking the mac's analog out via toslink to the receivers optical input be the correct hook up method for the best sound.
If by "analog out" you mean "audio out," then that should work. (Really old Macs did have analog-only out, but I'm pretty sure by the time the Macbook Pro came along they were using a combined digital/analog audio port.) You'll need a mini-Toslink-to-Toslink cable.
Quote:
Will I also have to change anything in the mac books preferences to allow this to happen
The Mac should detect whether you're using a digital or analog cable, and output accordingly. (I'm assuming you haven't previously set sound to output to USB.)
mav52's Avatar mav52 01:01 PM 01-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

If by "analog out" you mean "audio out," then that should work. (Really old Macs did have analog-only out, but I'm pretty sure by the time the Macbook Pro came along they were using a combined digital/analog audio port.) You'll need a mini-Toslink-to-Toslink cable.
The Mac should detect whether you're using a digital or analog cable, and output accordingly. (I'm assuming you haven't previously set sound to output to USB.)

whoops, it is audio out... Thanks. She's heading down to radio shack/ best buy for a mini-toslink to toslink cable
Up
Mobile  Desktop