I am not a very sophisticated AV person, so pardon my simple description below.
* Sharp Aquos TV with either analog or coaxial audio output.
* I connect my TiVo (component) and laptop (HDMI) to the TV.
* Sound bar from Vizio has eith analog audio or TOSLINK optical input.
1. When using TV's analog audio out and soundbar's analog audio in, I hear sounds from both TiVo and PC
2. When using TV's coaxial out and soundbar's TOSLINK audio in (using a converter), I only get sound from TiVo and NOT from PC on my soundbar. TV has sound.
3. If I change my TiVo out to HDMI, no sound is coming out of the soundbar
So it seem like any digital sound source coming into the TV does not output through digital coaxial out. I called Sharp and according to the rep, any digital signal is passed through directly to the output, and if it is not one of the acceptable PCM format, the setup would work. I have no way to select a PCM format in TiVo or from my laptop's setup, so in order to get sound from all sources, I went back to point 1 above.
Does any one have a suggestion on a remedy for my situation?
If I get a receiver that takes component, TOSLINK, and HDMI AV source, I can output the video through HDMI out to the TV. For audio, does a typical receiver have a TOSLINK audio out for me to connect to the soundbar? I checked out one receiver but only saw TOSLINK in, not out.
Thanks in advance for the help, John